Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
George W is not Trump, but it seems to me, there was an awful lot if rancor toward him at the time. Just maybe not the fear that Trump engenders.

The electoral votes are assigned proportionately, according to population.
There are 2 for senators and then one for each representative. Although the big states have more, it still takes over half the electoral college to win the election. So the big states can't do it alone. A candidate has to carry some little states too.

The only reason why we have swing states is because they don't consistantly vote either Democrat or Republican. Any state could potentially be a swing state if the state is not consistently red or blue.
No they aren't. For starters, the smaller states are weighted higher, which some believe is just, but hey, that's irrelevant to this point.

Each state has a winner take all system. If you win 46% of the vote in a state, higher than any other candidate, you take ALL the electoral votes. That's not proportionate. What would be proportionate is if in Alaska, for example, Trump took 2 Electoral Votes and Clinton took 1 - because that would be representative of the vote they got.

I'm beginning to think many Americans don't really get what proportional representation is.

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am a naive person in many ways, but I am surprised that other people don't see that much of Trump's posturing was a persona to wrangle votes (at least I hope, and since the results, he seems a different person).

Since he has been elected, I have heard about an interview where Trump tells the reporter he will be different when he is elected, more presidential. It remains to be seen if the bombastic behavior and vile personal attacks were simply a persona we could call "Candidate Trump" who will now settle down and be more reasonable, either the real Donald Trump or a new persona "President Trump".

Trump has a solid track record for many of his bad traits going years and decades back, especially his attitude towards women, and his vile personal attacking habits. That's who he is.

Now he might shut up a bit more publicly now, since the job is no longer about daily public performances to gain support and I'm sure there is a lot of pressure on Trump to behave.

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,665.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Don't get me wrong. I was not going to vote at all because I didn't like Trump (or maybe his persona, I'm hoping he's different). I never like him from the start. I only decided to vote for him after the third debate when I listened to Clinton say that partial birth abortion was a good thing. I knew I had to vote against her, then.

If they think he is a monster, that shows a lot of naievety. I don't think he is nearly as reactionary as they may think.
You missed what she was talking about then. She was talking about I woman having such an abortion for medical reasons. If the mother and/or baby have a significant probability of death if the baby goes to term, it should be the woman's choice if she wants to go through with it. We should not be forcing women to die for that.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The electoral votes are assigned proportionately, according to population. There are 2 for senators and then one for each representative. Although the big states have more, it still takes over half the electoral college to win the election. So the big states can't do it alone. A candidate has to carry some little states too.

The only reason why we have swing states is because they don't consistantly vote either Democrat or Republican. Any state could potentially be a swing state if the state is not consistently red or blue.

Most people do not understand the process of the Electoral College. Heck, the last time I thought about it was during Bush/Gore. I had to remind myself!

There was a reason the founding fathers put that in place, and didn't use the popular vote. PragerU has a good video that is short and sweet to explain it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This isn't like Rubio, Bush, Paul or Kasich getting elected. This is more like Vladimir Putin getting elected. You might not see it, but people see a populist demagogue who wants to craft the US in his own image.
Our system won't allow for a Putin. I guess the difference is between trusting the system and not trusting the system. I didn't vote for Obama, and wasn't thrilled when he got elected, but I trusted the system that Obama would not be able to turn the country inside out.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You missed what she was talking about then. She was talking about I woman having such an abortion for medical reasons. If the mother and/or baby have a significant probability of death if the baby goes to term, it should be the woman's choice if she wants to go through with it. We should not be forcing women to die for that.
I think it is hideous to kill a baby in the birth canal. There is a difference between a doctor saving a mother's life and this barbaric thing being done as a way to get rid of an unwanted child. I would hazard to guess that the amount of partial birth abortions performed to save a mother's life is exceedingly low. It is just horribly unconscionable that anyone thinks that this practice is civilized.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Most people do not understand the process of the Electoral College. Heck, the last time I thought about it was during Bush/Gore. I had to remind myself!

There was a reason the founding fathers put that in place, and didn't use the popular vote. PragerU has a good video that is short and sweet to explain it.

You don't get it.

I'm sure everyone here gets it, understands the reasons why, but it's now viewed my many as archaic and anti-democratic.

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think it is hideous to kill a baby in the birth canal. There is a difference between a doctor saving a mother's life and this barbaric thing being done as a way to get rid of an unwanted child. I would hazard to guess that the amount of partial birth abortions performed to save a mother's life is exceedingly low. It is just horribly unconscionable that anyone thinks that this practice is civilized.

Partial birth abortion doesn't mean "abortion while giving a birth" - it's a name of the procedure.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,665.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Our system won't allow for a Putin. I guess the difference is between trusting the system and not trusting the system. I didn't vote for Obama, and wasn't thrilled when he got elected, but I trusted the system that Obama would not be able to turn the country inside out.
What? It's already happened. Putin is a former KGB agent who was elected president. Hmmm, what could be the American version of that? A CIA agent? Try the former director of the CIA, George HW Bush.

• Haha
Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have the final Electoral College and popular vote counts been finalized .. And why isn't George Soros a wanted man ? Why did CNN wait and stall until after Trump's acceptance speech to declare ? The mother of all sour grapes ?

I explained to my wife the EC is what we go by and is kinda like the World Series . If Cleveland wins one game 5-0 then the Cubs win the next four 1-0 . Cubs win the series 4 games to 1 even though the Indians total score count was 5 runs to 4 in 5 overall games ..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He's already back to tweeting out lies.

Though I'm sure his supporters will all line up to say we've always been at war with Eurasia.

I just read his twitter when I read you response, and went back to election day. I was curious as to what he said. He pretty much had general stuff there, and nothing out there. What 'lie' since election day did he tweet? He hasn't tweeted that much.

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks for posting this. I liked watching the video. I like the fact that all states are important, not just California and New York. The Founding Fathers were geniuses. It amazes me there was so much genius in one generation.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I just read his twitter when I read you response, and went back to election day. I was curious as to what he said. He pretty much had general stuff there, and nothing out there. What 'lie' since election day did he tweet? He hasn't tweeted that much.

The nuclear weapons thing. He said that live, on TV. So, that's a lie.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't get it.

I'm sure everyone here gets it, understands the reasons why, but it's now viewed my many as archaic and anti-democratic.

Don't get what? They were speaking about the Electoral college process.

The electoral college process was started so everyone could have a say. That big cities didn't make all the decisions only due to population.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Don't get what? They were speaking about the Electoral college process.

The electoral college process was started so everyone could have a say. That big cities didn't make all the decisions only due to population.
Yes, and it's become antiquated and causes all kinds of problems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have the final Electoral College and popular vote counts been finalized .. And why isn't George Soros a wanted man ? Why did CNN wait and stall until after Trump's acceptance speech to declare ? The mother of all sour grapes ?

I explained to my wife the EC is what we go by and is kinda like the World Series . If Cleveland wins one game 5-0 then the Cubs win the next four 1-0 . Cubs win the series 4 games to 1 even though the Indians total score count was 5 runs to 4 in 5 overall games ..
The Electoral College votes get officially counted in December.

I can't speak about George Soros, considering I don't know too terribly much about him.

If your wife can understand baseball, more power to her! Hannah T posted a video about the Electoral College that is informative. It protects us against majority rule. I think most people forget we are not a democracy but a republic.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,157,365.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Because there is zero evidence against him outside of loony rightwing fantasies.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He's already back to tweeting out lies.

Though I'm sure his supporters will all line up to say we've always been at war with Eurasia.

What do you think of Trump's son in law Jared Kushner . I think he lands an important job in the new administration ..

Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No they aren't. For starters, the smaller states are weighted higher, which some believe is just, but hey, that's irrelevant to this point.

Each state has a winner take all system. If you win 46% of the vote in a state, higher than any other candidate, you take ALL the electoral votes. That's not proportionate. What would be proportionate is if in Alaska, for example, Trump took 2 Electoral Votes and Clinton took 1 - because that would be representative of the vote they got.

I'm beginning to think many Americans don't really get what proportional representation is.
I thought you meant the Electoral College was not proportional. I understand what you mean by winner take all versus proportional votes. If it were that way in the primaries, perhaps we would have never gotten Trump and had this problem in the first place. It does make more sense that way.

Upvote 0