Lovers of Roots Rock Reggae? (Funky Reggae Music!)

Eusebios

Create in me a clean heart O God!
Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I tend not to start threads, but I've looked through most of the music forum archives and was a little surprised not to find much of anything regarding reaggae.
Are there fans out there? If so, who are your favorite artists? What are your thoughts on the religious movement most closely associated with the genre, Rastafarianism?
I generally find that many reggae artists seem to be truth seekers and I like that. I just picked up a new compilation CD of Toots and The Maytals w/guests like Bonnie Raitt, Jeff Beck and Bootsy Collins called "True Love" and it is awesome.
Well, looking forward to your thoughts/opinions, or whatever.
His unworthy servant,
Eusebios.
:bow:

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I love Bob Marley. My favorite songs of his are: Soul Rebel, Natural Mystic, and Jamaica Rum. Jamaica Rum is a unique Marley song, its entirely instrumental, as if a "solo" were the whole song, over a sweet reggae beat.

I also love Sublime - Bradley Nowell was very very influenced by reggae. You can hear it in most Sublime songs. Also listen to the lyrics of Jailhouse. And at the end of "40 oz to Freedom" there is a song called "Rivers of Babylon" which is actually a cover of some reggae band's song where they put the words of Psalm 138 to music.

Which brings us to Rastafarianism.....a strange religion indeed. ... it basically was born out of the horrible and intense racism of the Caribbean. A religion which is reactionary in nature, reactionary to the racial conflict - where Africa is heaven, white people are brought to an almost demonic level (much like the Nation of Islam) and an interesting thing - marijuana is regarded as a sacrament. Often in reggae songs you hear the line "The stone that the builder refused will become the head cornerstone."
It seems like the Rastas put more emphasis on the Old Testament, and do not understand its prophecies that were fulfilled in the NT. They do not cut their hair, and I think they abstain from alcohol and some meats? Not sure on the last statement. They call God "Jah" which is short for "Jehovah." I dont know much about Rastafarianism beyond that.

Great thread idea Eusebios

Upvote 0

Arwen Undomiel

love one another
Mar 4, 2004
✟17,013.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Funny I should read this thread while listening to Bob Marley. I am a reggae fan, but definitely prefer the roots reggae over any of the more recent incarnations. Marley, Peter Tosh, Black Uhuru, Bunny Wailer and Toots.
Eusebios said:
I just picked up a new compilation CD of Toots and The Maytals w/guests like Bonnie Raitt, Jeff Beck and Bootsy Collins called "True Love" and it is awesome.

I agree with that! What a great combination of artists on that CD - Ryan Adams, Ben Harper, Keith Richards and (note to ps139) Trey Anastasio...

I don't really know much about Rastafarianism, but I admit I have been intrigued by their obsession with marijuana! ;)

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. I too prefer Roots, but I really like the new stuff that the younger Marleys are doing as well, particularly Damien ("Jr. Gong") and Ky'Mani.
I'm not crazy about hard-core dub, but do dig the new incarnation of Sublime, The Longbeach Dub All-Stars and also dig Sublime (love thier cover of "Smoke Two Joints")
With regrds to Rastafarianism, I agree with Bill that it is somewhat confusing. There is a good bit of information contained on this site including a small piece about Bob Marley's return to the Ethiopian Orthodox Church shortly before his untimely death. Interestingly enough, Rasta's view Hallie Salassie as the returning Christ, a position which he soundly rejected, being an Orthodox Christian himself.
Bill, I think you are right about the alcohol and certain meats thing, they also spurn coffee :scratch: and we all know about the legendary love of the herb, indeed viewed as a sacrament.
Hope some more folks jump on board this thing.
Peace,
Eusebios.

Upvote 0

ps139

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That was a cool site Eusebios. Although there were so many names and sects I'll need to reread it to comprehend it totally. Very interesting stuff! I had no idea that Garvey started out Catholic. Or that Bob Marley converted to Orthodoxy.

Do you have any good song recommendations from Long Beach Dub all Stars?
I know Eric Wilson is the bassist, is Sublime's drummer in that too? (and which one!? :))

The latreia of Hallie Salassie reminds me a bit of the Nation of Islam and Elijah Muhammed.
I actually saw a lot of parallels between NoI and Rastas.
I did not know the etymology of "Ras Tafari" either, that was cool!!

Upvote 0

Eusebios

Feb 17, 2004
Canton, OH.
Visit site
✟12,812.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ps139,
I have the first LBDA's CD, and I'll be darned if I cab remember the name right off hand I get a kick out of thier tune "Under Mi Sensi" from Hempilation 2.
Yeah the Phil Thompson site is cool for more than just the info on Rastafarianism.
I'm going to have to check out the instrumental Marley tune you talked about. In terms of genres, I think Reggae is my current favorite. The next time I do my show for INBN I plan on having a funky reggae party and I'll throw in some Phish for ya too.
Peace,
Eusebios.

Upvote 0

ps139

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟37,907.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm going to have to check out LBDA. It is really a tragedy that Bradley died, hopefully some of his music carries through in their stuff. I saw the INBN site - looks cool! Let me know when your show is. I'd love to hear it!!! Maybe throw in some Makisupa or Ya Mar for your reggae-fest :). Is there a page on that site for your show??
I just listened to Jamaica Rum again - definitely my favorite Bob song. Although I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be wrongly named? It is so different from all his other songs, but often that doesnt mean much. I should look it up on a discography. I wish I could isolate the background rhythm, loop it, and just jam over it on my guitar. I know a site that does that with a lot of Phish songs, too bad I dont have the technology to do that on my own.

Upvote 0