Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am looking for scriptures that specifically say that a woman or a man cannot love a person of the same gender. Not ones stating that a man CAN love a woman or related messages. I want ones saying they can or cannot love the same sex. Thanks!

I've been trying to find a verse in the Bible that says I can have 700 wives and 300 concubines... :love: ...but I can't seem to dredge one up! Why is this, when everyone else gets to 'polyamory' this and 'polyamory' that?! :mmh:

2PhiloVoid :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most men with men don't look so much like their partners that they would be considered mirror images of each other.

Also, in your second paragraph quoted above, it seems like you're saying that the incarnate Jesus in the Gospels defined "a union between 2 men or 2 women" as an abomination. I'm not aware of where he does that.
Whether that was meant to be understood as all that being clearly stated in the Gospels or not, really does not alter what was expressed, it is true either way.
Jesus Himself declares what a "union" of two humans is unequivocally, as a union between a man and women. The same God makes it declared elsewhere that specific relations between same sex couples are an abomination to Him. So it makes sense, just as JoeP222w post suggested, that Jesus (God) in the Gospels not only would not but could not as God ever endorse such SS couples as being in the same sort of "union" as the one He did in fact endorse.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ADisciple
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am looking for scriptures that specifically say that a woman or a man cannot love a person of the same gender. ...

Interesting question, Bible encourages to love even enemies, so I think gender is not issue in Biblical love.

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.

Mat. 5:44-45

Brothers and sisters can be loved, but Bible says:

'You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman. That is detestible. 'You shall not lie with any animal to defile yourself with it; neither shall any woman give herself to an animal, to lie down with it: it is a perversion.
Lev. 18:22-23

So, that act with wrong company is not right, love is. :)

• Agree
Reactions: ModernMoses
Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay TobyMac MacToby, admit it. You put your profile picture that way specifically so that I would be constantly feeling like you're looking at me while you're on the home page. Well two can play that game.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ADisciple
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am looking for scriptures that specifically say that a woman or a man cannot love a person of the same gender. Not ones stating that a man CAN love a woman or related messages. I want ones saying they can or cannot love the same sex. Thanks!

There is NO Scripture that says a man may not love a man. For instance, take a look at John 19:26 (KJV) “When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!”

Here, we see Jesus loving John. Also, we see the love between David and Jonathan in 1 Sam 18:1 (KJV) “And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.” It is very obvious that two men loved each other, deeply. David was not gay, (as many on these fora would have a heart attack if I implied it) for he lusted after Bathsheba, did he not?

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We must also keep in mind that the original language that the bible was writen in was Greek and they have vastly different sentence structure rules and multiple more words for one of ours. For example: The word Love, we would use the word love like this:

I love my mother.
I love my football team.
I love how that hat looks on me.
I love my wife.
I love my Best friend.
I love America.

In Greek it would be like this:

I pragma my mother.
I ludus my football team.
I philautia how that hat looks on me.
I eros my wife.
I philia my Best friend.
I Agape America.

The definition of Love is the same in English as the definitions of Agape, philia, eros, philautia, ludus, and pragma in Greek. Eros would be the sexual attraction, if we are talking about the same sex then yes it is unquestionably a sin. But if we are referring to, for example, how I philia (The Love of Deep Friendship) my best friend David, then no in fact we would be commanded to love each other in this way.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Define Love

As you know God Himself and Jesus repeats,

that marriage is between woman and man.

In Biblical Greek there are three or four words for Love.

There is no problem with people loving other people at the other levels of Love. Love your neighbor as yourself is one of the other levels.

There are: Agape or Gods' Love, Brotherly Love, Eros aka Sexual Love and I don't remember the others.

Asking for a verse that allows Sexual Love of same sex is useless because that is not in scripture. But, sexual love of opposite sex is the norm by God's Creative Authority.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We must also keep in mind that the original language that the bible was writen in was Greek and they have vastly different sentence structure rules and multiple more words for one of ours. For example: The word Love, we would use the word love like this:

I love my mother.
I love my football team.
I love how that hat looks on me.
I love my wife.
I love my Best friend.
I love America.

In Greek it would be like this:

I pragma my mother.
I ludus my football team.
I philautia how that hat looks on me.
I eros my wife.
I philia my Best friend.
I Agape America.

The definition of Love is the same in English as the definitions of Agape, philia, eros, philautia, ludus, and pragma in Greek. Eros would be the sexual attraction, if we are talking about the same sex then yes it is unquestionably a sin. But if we are referring to, for example, how I philia (The Love of Deep Friendship) my best friend David, then no in fact we would be commanded to love each other in this way.

Does it bother you that people use the term love to describe immoral relatinships?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Physical intimacy isn't wrong if it is within proper limits and is modest.

Well, if according to Jesus, just looking at another person of the opposite sex with lust in your heart is adultery (no touching), then it's reasonable to assume it's the same for same-sex when it comes to the sin of homosexuality. By the time there is physical intimacy, that line has been crossed a few times.

Upvote 0

Your Brother In Christ

Christian YouTuber
Jan 30, 2017
USA
✟17,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does it bother you that people use the term love to describe immoral relatinships?
No, people can use whatever terms they want, the only thing that bothers me is seeing someone being taken to Hell. I was clarifying, because the word love is used in so many ways it is easier to refer to Greek, for clarity.

Upvote 0

redstang281

Jan 4, 2002
Maryland
✟14,300.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think the OP is asking about romantic love and whether or not its alright for a person to love someone of the same gender in a romantic way. The confusion is since the Bible typically only addresses homosexual situations in a sexual way it raises the question in someones mind if you love someone of the same sex romantically but not sexually is it still a sin. A case can be made from Genesis that God made a woman for Adam to be his companion not another man. It seems that's God's design for men and women to go together and compliment each other.

I think another problem with this question is Hollywood often dramatizes this concept of romantic love too far. The idea that everyone has a soul mate is idolatry. The one person that can fit all our needs is God not another fallible human who no matter how great they are is bound to disappoint us a some point in time. God is the only one we can truly count on and the hole we have inside of us can only be filled by him. Our earthly relationships are only temporary and there's certain needs we have here that we reach out for another person for. Men need a wife for certain needs and women need a husband for a different set of needs. We are both different and designed by God to be that way. So the way I see it romantic love is about giving and taking and love is an active thing its not just a passive act like saying you have love for a person. A marriage relationship involves you giving your partner what they need and them giving you what you need. So that's why I don't think there's a biblical way for a man to romantically love another man the way he would romantically love a woman.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

First, God is responsible for 1 in 2000 babies that are of indeterminate gender.
Indeterminate Sex | BabyMed.com
For Him to then author gender rules regarding who they should love
would be contraindicated.

People should all treat others just as they would wish to be treated.
For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets.

• Winner
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Define Love

As you know God Himself and Jesus repeats,

that marriage is between woman and man.

In Biblical Greek there are three or four words for Love.

There is no problem with people loving other people at the other levels of Love. Love your neighbor as yourself is one of the other levels.

There are: Agape or Gods' Love, Brotherly Love, Eros aka Sexual Love and I don't remember the others.

Asking for a verse that allows Sexual Love of same sex is useless because that is not in scripture. But, sexual love of opposite sex is the norm by God's Creative Authority.

In my personal experience those that advocate for gay marriage are intolerant and hateful to those of us who hold to the Biblical God made definition of marriage.

God defines marriage,
Genesis 2
21 And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof;

22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Jesus reconfirms it in the NT,

Matthew 19:4-6
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Elsewhere in the NT, this definition of marriage is reconfirmed,

Ephesians 5:25: “For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up his life for her."

Bottom line if someone is pro gay marriage, put the burden on them to show where God defines marriages as between the same sex. The burden is theirs to prove this.

Four Greek Words for “Love”

Adapted from Precept Ministries International
1. Φιλἐω (Phileō)
a. Definition:
i. Phileō is a companionable love.
ii. This love speaks of affection, fondness, or liking.
iii. Kenneth Wuest says, “It is a love that is called out of one’s heart as
a response to the pleasure one takes in a person or object.” 1
iv. Phileō is a love that responds to kindness, appreciation, or love. It
involves giving as well as receiving; but when it is greatly strained,
it can collapse in a crisis.
v. Phileō is a higher love than eros because it is our happiness rather
than my happiness.
vi. This love is called out of one’s heart by qualities in another.
b. Usage:
i. It is used in a number of times in its noun and verb forms in the
New Testament.
ii. In John 21:15-17, it is contrasted with agape love.
c. References: Matt. 6:5, 10:37, 23:6, 26:48; Mark 14:44; Luke 20:46,
22:47; John 5:20, 11:3, 36, 12:25, 15:19, 16:27, 20:2, 21:15, 21:16-17; 1
Cor. 16:22; Titus 3:15; Rev. 3:19, 22:15 (see also Titus 2:4 philandros and
philoteknos)
2. Ἀγάπη or Ἀγαπάω (Agapē or Agapaō)
a. Definition:
i. Agapē is called out of one’s heart by the preciousness of the object
loved. It is a love of esteem, of evaluation. It has the idea of
prizing. It is the noblest word for love in the Greek language.2
ii. Agapē is not kindled by the merit or worth of it’s object, but it
originates in it’s own God-given nature. God is love.
iii. It delights in giving.
iv. This love keeps on loving even when the loved one is unresponsive,
unkind, unlovable, and unworthy. It is unconditional love.
v. Agapē desires only the good of the one loved. It is a consuming
passion for the well-being of others.
1 Kenneth Wuest, Wuest’s Word Studies in the Greek New Testament (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Wm. B.
Eerdmans Publishing Co,. 1975), Vol. III Bypaths, pp. 111-113
2 Wuest, pp. 111-113
b. Usage:
i. There are only a few known occurrences of this word love outside
of the bible. In other words, this word was not used very often in
extra-biblical writings.
ii. It is used approximately three0hundred and twenty times in the
New Testament.
c. Selected References: John 3:16, 3:35, 13:34, 14:15, 15:9, 15:13; Romans
5:5, 13:8-10; Gal. 5:22; Eph. 3:17, 4:2, 4:15, 5:2, 5:25; Col. 3:14; 1 Thess.
3:12, 4:9-10; 1 Peter 4:8
3. Στοργή (Storgē)
a. Definition:
i. This love has its basis in one’s own nature.
ii. Storgē is a natural affection or natural obligation
iii. It is a natural movement of the soul for husband, wife, child or
dog.
iv. It is a quiet, abiding feeling within a man that rests on something
close to him and that he feels good about.
b. Usage:
i. In the New Testament storgē appears in the noun or verb form
with the preifx “a” and therefore negates the love and means
without this type of love. It is translated in Romans 1:31 and 2
Timothy 3:3 as “unloving” (without natural affection, KJV).
ii. In Romans 12:10, storgē is compounded with philos and is
translated “devoted” (kindly affectioned, KJV).
c. References: Romans 1:31, 12:10; 2 Timothy 3:3
4. Εροσ (Eros)
a. Definition:
i. This love is erotic love
ii. Eros is a love of passion, an overmastering passion that seizes and
absorbs itself into the mind.
iii. It is a love that is an emotional involvement based on body
chemistry.
iv. The basic idea of this love is self-satisfaction.
1. Though Eros is directed towards another, it actually has self
in mind. For example: “I love you because you make me
happy.”
2. The foundation of this type of love is some characteristic in
the other person which pleases you. If the characteristic
would cease to exist, the reason for the love would be gone,
the result being, “I don’t love you anymore.
3. Eros looks for what it can receive. If it does give, it gives in
order to receive. If it fails to get what it wants or expects,
bitterness or resentment could develop.
b. Philosophy:
i. The philosophy of eros is that being loved depends on being
attractive in some way to another person.
ii. Because of this dependency, eros would be considered a conditional
type of love.
c. Usage:
i. Eros is not used in the New Testament.
ii. Eros is not use din the Septuagint. (The Septuagint, abbreviated

LXX, is the Greek translation of the Old Testament.)

https://www.mcleanbible.org/sites/d...ources/Chap3/GreekWordsforLoveWS_Chapter3.pdf

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,256,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, if according to Jesus, just looking at another person of the opposite sex with lust in your heart is adultery (no touching), then it's reasonable to assume it's the same for same-sex when it comes to the sin of homosexuality. By the time there is physical intimacy, that line has been crossed a few times.

I get it, God hates gays, then...

Seriously, some people don't think through their theology . Do you think Jesus is really saying those lines to condemn every single man on earth, or perhaps to only condemn hypocrites who pretend they don't lust?

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Romans 1:24-29King James Version (KJV)
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

1 Corinthians 6:9-19King James Version (KJV)
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

leviticus 11:28 thou shall not lie with mankind as with woman kind for it is an abomination.

Mark 10:6-9King James Version (KJV)
6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;

8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.