Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Guessing if you've done Keto before you know about Keto-flu...
Possibly an electrolyte issue? If you hunt up dr. ken berry's youtube channel he has a video on making Ketoaid that you might find helpful.

Before I was on a modified diet, and I didn't get the "keto flu". Now I'm restricting carbohydrates alot more.

I have been using electrolyte drops but they are expensive, so I will look into making my own.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was paleo/primal before Keto & never got keto flue but DH did... (even though he ate/eats the same as me)

The keto aid is easy & def cheaper than electrolyte supplements. just make sure your using good salt. I like the Himalayan Pink Salt (says she who currently has at least 8 different types of posh salts in the cupboard:p)

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm just so far behind with posting in general.

I second the idea of treating "Keto flu". It affects different people differently. I used extra Himalayan salt, took potassium and magnesium supplements, and got through it easily. It generally subsides anyway, anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks, but might as well do what you can to feel better.

These days I get sick if I do simple carbs. I have only "cheated" twice this year - I had already decided in advance that I would eat with the community at the Pascha picnic (celebration of the Resurrection) and then we had our festival last weekend. Food is big in a Greek Church. :) So I figure twice a year, I can afford a meal or two.

At Pascha I ate everything I wanted, gained 5 pounds of water due to stored glucose, and had a headache for two days.

At the festival, I got a serving of pastitso but only ate a couple pieces of the pasta, but much of the bechemel sauce. And i had a few bites each of two desserts. I gained over four pounds of water (still have two pounds up) and had a headache for two days.

I've also been sick all week with a pretty bad cold moving now into my lungs and several fever blisters, but that's possibly being around someone sick, or getting too tired, or some other cause.

Carbs aren't worth it though. I've decided I'm going to try to sub ingredients and make bechemel sauce, and I think shiritake will do nicely enough for pasta - what I really love is the slight cinnamon flavor added to the ground beef. I'm going to make my own pastitso maybe. :D

And I can do without the desserts. Besides, there's tons of good subs there.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Planks seem to be good for my core. I started doing them and can hold it better than I expected to. I'm not sure why I stopped. I need to begin again. As soon as I feel better. :)

And I have a ways to go before I have to worry about becoming lumpy lol. But I was seriously predisposed to putting on muscle when I was young. I imagine 30 years might have put that into lower gear though. I may struggle to build any muscle - who knows. :)

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Carbs don't seem to cause me a problem in general if I go over.
But eat some wheat..? UGH. achy & feel like I got run over by a runaway reindeer.
We took DH's mum out to a posh restaurant a few weeks ago for her birthday. Really good quality food (like 4 Star level) but as you'd expect there was some sugar & wheat in some of the stuff. 2 days of feeling bleah.....o_O
Part of why we hardly ever go out to eat any more, cause if that was the quality place, imagine what eating out at your average cafe would do to me:confused:

Weird you mention having a cold... You know that taste you get sorta in the top of your mouth with a cold? well ive had a slight "cold taste" for the last 2 days.. but nothing else...
& last year there was some nasty flu/cold/virus going around I got the same thing.. just the taste at the back of my mouth.. but I never got any other symptoms.

Have you tried subbing spirilized courgette for pasta?.

Dragged out the pull up bar and set it up to try out... Whooo-Hoo I can actually pull my self up (and hold it) properly! (hadent used it since before I lost weight) 2.5 stone less to lift makes quite a difference.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Carbs don't seem to cause me a problem in general if I go over.
But eat some wheat..? UGH. achy & feel like I got run over by a runaway reindeer.
We took DH's mum out to a posh restaurant a few weeks ago for her birthday. Really good quality food (like 4 Star level) but as you'd expect there was some sugar & wheat in some of the stuff. 2 days of feeling bleah.....o_O
Part of why we hardly ever go out to eat any more, cause if that was the quality place, imagine what eating out at your average cafe would do to me:confused:

Yeah eating out is near-impossible. Definitely no place cheap. But I have found that a couple of chicken strips is doable - especially grilled. I just have to have my own sauce.
Weird you mention having a cold... You know that taste you get sorta in the top of your mouth with a cold? well ive had a slight "cold taste" for the last 2 days.. but nothing else...
& last year there was some nasty flu/cold/virus going around I got the same thing.. just the taste at the back of my mouth.. but I never got any other symptoms.

I think my weak immune system is due to radiation treatment or some other cancer issue. A year ago I'd get sick like with a flu every day I tried to work. Now I can work 3-4 days a week plus whatever else I'm doing for Church (usually at least one day a week) so I'm much better. I just need a day or two to rest every week.

I get a little of the taste, but my biggest sign is usually a tickle in my throat.

Have you tried subbing spirilized courgette for pasta?.

I had to look up courgette. ;) My daughter recommended zoodles (zucchini pasta). I thought it was something you could buy and looked for it for a few months. My spiralizer broke a few years ago and I haven't replaced it though. I knew I should have picked up that new one I saw at the thrift store, but I used to use it for apples and potatoes and am not eating them right now.

I'm ok with shiritaki. It's a bit pricey though but I stocked up on sale. I tried spaghetti squash and it was just okay. I think I need to try a few more times cooked a few different ways. It's usually pricey too.

Dragged out the pull up bar and set it up to try out... Whooo-Hoo I can actually pull my self up (and hold it) properly! (hadent used it since before I lost weight) 2.5 stone less to lift makes quite a difference.

That's very cool. :) It can be so much of a surprise, how different it is to live in a different body!

I had to look up stones too. ;) Congrats!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
MCT oil was actually originally a byproduct product of making detergent.

I've been experimenting with MCT oil. So far I haven't had any problems with it. I've lost another two pounds.

Going keto has been easier than I thought it would be, it's also less painful than other diets I have tried, once I found out how to deal with the keto flu. I got hold of some No-Salt and have been adding some to water once in a while.

This diet has also had the side effect of helping combat my SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). My acid reflux has gone away almost completely. And it's cheaper than eating an elemental diet (which I tried in the past and it worked but I don't have the money to spend on pre-digested food powder).

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It really does have a lot of health benefits. I'm actually on it as an anti-inflammatory for another condition (which it stopped the pain I had felt every day since surgery, thankfully!)

But having lost nearly 50 pounds effortlessly is a nice side benefit!

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah eating out is near-impossible. Definitely no place cheap. But I have found that a couple of chicken strips is doable - especially grilled. I just have to have my own sauce.
Only one place we really enjoy any more & thats the Sushi Restraunt. Everything else I can pretty much cook as well or often better than them so we just end up kinda disapointed (followed by feeling crappy when the wheat & who knows whats kick in)

I think my weak immune system is due to radiation treatment or some other cancer issue. A year ago I'd get sick like with a flu every day I tried to work. Now I can work 3-4 days a week plus whatever else I'm doing for Church (usually at least one day a week) so I'm much better. I just need a day or two to rest every week.

Yeah, that will do a number on your immune system and it can take a LOOONG time to recover. I suspect keto is probably about the best thing you can do to build it back up though.

I get a little of the taste, but my biggest sign is usually a tickle in my throat.

Well gone now and I never got any other symtoms.. just that very distinctive taste.

I had to look up courgette. ;) My daughter recommended zoodles (zucchini pasta). I thought it was something you could buy and looked for it for a few months. My spiralizer broke a few years ago and I haven't replaced it though. I knew I should have picked up that new one I saw at the thrift store, but I used to use it for apples and potatoes and am not eating them right now.

I'm ok with shiritaki. It's a bit pricey though but I stocked up on sale. I tried spaghetti squash and it was just okay. I think I need to try a few more times cooked a few different ways. It's usually pricey too.

Oops yeah I forgot, lived here so long now im used to saying courgettes but called zucchini in the States. Same thing. I like to fry them in ghee or butter.
Ive never trusted Shiritaki noodles since my dog ate a bunch and it came out the other end completely intact ( and not attractive looking at all)

That's very cool. :) It can be so much of a surprise, how different it is to live in a different body!

I had to look up stones too. ;) Congrats!
Another thing I forget. they mostly use Stones or Kg here. Nobody here knows what I mean when I say Pounds. yeah, I lost about 35lbs which means im now able to lift my 185 lb butt on the pull-up bar :D (sounds a lot but I actually only need to loose maybe 10-15 lbs since im very large boned & a lot of muscle. cant wear women's watches cause they never fit around my wrist etc)

MCT oil was actually originally a byproduct product of making detergent.

I've been experimenting with MCT oil. So far I haven't had any problems with it. I've lost another two pounds.

Going keto has been easier than I thought it would be, it's also less painful than other diets I have tried, once I found out how to deal with the keto flu. I got hold of some No-Salt and have been adding some to water once in a while.

This diet has also had the side effect of helping combat my SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). My acid reflux has gone away almost completely. And it's cheaper than eating an elemental diet (which I tried in the past and it worked but I don't have the money to spend on pre-digested food powder).

Surprising how many ailments & inflammation related issues this WOL helps with :D

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I just today received a bag of cocoa butter - the good kind! I was increasingly thinking mine must not be that good (though it was supposed to be). I got Wild Foods Cocoa Butter from Amazon. It smells AMAZING! And I found a hazelnut coffee to try in anticipation of getting new cocoa butter. Oh my goodness - this coffee is the BEST!!! And I've always heard you can smell the chocolate in good cocoa butter but not taste it. Well, I taste chocolate in my coffee! It even cuts the hazelnut just a bit. But oh my is it ever good!!!

Only one place we really enjoy any more & thats the Sushi Restraunt. Everything else I can pretty much cook as well or often better than them so we just end up kinda disapointed (followed by feeling crappy when the wheat & who knows whats kick in)

I thought sushi always vinegared rice? I guess I'm thinking of the rolls. Glad you have a place you can go.

I can do without eating out - I agree home is better. But a couple of folks I know socialize that way - id like to be able to meet up with them a couple times a year.

Yeah, that will do a number on your immune system and it can take a LOOONG time to recover. I suspect keto is probably about the best thing you can do to build it back up though.

I hope it's helping. I'm SO much better than I was a year ago, and it did start to get better after I got on Keto. Could have been a function of time though.

You know what surprises me most about my photos is how good my skin looks comparatively. It's helped with so many things that I'm not really inclined to get completely off it ever.

But some things I wish I could eat from time to time - if I could look at maybe 50 grams of carbs a day I'd have WAY more freedom.

Well gone now and I never got any other symtoms.. just that very distinctive taste.

Glad you're feeling better! Mine's getting better but this was a bad one.

Oops yeah I forgot, lived here so long now im used to saying courgettes but called zucchini in the States. Same thing. I like to fry them in ghee or butter.
Ive never trusted Shiritaki noodles since my dog ate a bunch and it came out the other end completely intact ( and not attractive looking at all)

Yuck! I'll try not to think of that when I make it, lol. Zucchini fried in ghee or butter - spiralized? As a pasta sub? What's the texture like? I might have to try that. I thought maybe it was boiled or steamed. I'm not a big fan of the watery texture.

Another thing I forget. they mostly use Stones or Kg here. Nobody here knows what I mean when I say Pounds. yeah, I lost about 35lbs which means im now able to lift my 185 lb butt on the pull-up bar :D (sounds a lot but I actually only need to loose maybe 10-15 lbs since im very large boned & a lot of muscle. cant wear women's watches cause they never fit around my wrist etc)

Congrats! Yeah, almost there is good. :)

I don't even know what I'm aiming for. I'm in better shape than I would have expected for what I weigh, but my body has changed a lot. That matters more to me than a number on the scale.

But I am seriously wanting to work on some purposeful muscle development. I think I need to carefully calculate my protein though. I've noticed I have edged up my protein intake over recent months.

Surprising how many ailments & inflammation related issues this WOL helps with :D

Very true. I didn't anticipate many of the benefits I've seen. But I'm thankful!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

I just today received a bag of cocoa butter - the good kind! I was increasingly thinking mine must not be that good (though it was supposed to be). I got Wild Foods Cocoa Butter from Amazon. It smells AMAZING! And I found a hazelnut coffee to try in anticipation of getting new cocoa butter. Oh my goodness - this coffee is the BEST!!! And I've always heard you can smell the chocolate in good cocoa butter but not taste it. Well, I taste chocolate in my coffee! It even cuts the hazelnut just a bit. But oh my is it ever good!!!

:D I know right, Ive never even liked coffee, but Hazelnut plus Coffee plus good CocoaButter... that's in a whole different realm. & yeah, good cocoa butter should smell like mild chocolate. basically its white chocolate without the vanilla added. but you can get stuff that's been "deodorized" (what the point of that is I don't knowo_O ) that's supposedly doesn't smell/taste of much of anything. pointless if you ask me.

I thought sushi always vinegared rice? I guess I'm thinking of the rolls. Glad you have a place you can go.

I can do without eating out - I agree home is better. But a couple of folks I know socialize that way - id like to be able to meet up with them a couple times a year.

Sushi is kinda a general term for bunch of things. Sashimi is the straight up raw fish(no rice) , Maki is the rolls, Nigiri is the rice "block" with fish on top. then there's some others but those are the main types.
but the sushi place we goes to also does a lot of other stuff, like grilled pork belly skewers that I could eat till I passed out, they are so freaking good. and there own pickled veggies, tempura, grills, etc.

I'm not really the social type so the only time Ill go out is special occasions with hubby. Booked Yatai(the sushi place) for our "Official Business Christmas Party" LOL. just the 2 of us. Perks of owning your own business you get to choose where the Christmas bash is.

I hope it's helping. I'm SO much better than I was a year ago, and it did start to get better after I got on Keto. Could have been a function of time though.

You know what surprises me most about my photos is how good my skin looks comparatively. It's helped with so many things that I'm not really inclined to get completely off it ever.

But some things I wish I could eat from time to time - if I could look at maybe 50 grams of carbs a day I'd have WAY more freedom.

My skin has been loads better since scrapping the grains & sugar,(Paleo/Primal) & I think maybe even better since I tweaked to keto. Before that I always had breakouts along my jawline and kinda blotchy complexion. now, hardly anything, I don't even bother wearing makeup any more (used to need it to even out my skin tone)

Glad you're feeling better! Mine's getting better but this was a bad one.

Yeah, it never turned into anything more than that "taste" but its a very distinctive taste so im sure it was some sorta cold that my body just kicked the snot out before it was able to get any traction.

Yuck! I'll try not to think of that when I make it, lol. Zucchini fried in ghee or butter - spiralized? As a pasta sub? What's the texture like? I might have to try that. I thought maybe it was boiled or steamed. I'm not a big fan of the watery texture.

Spirlized and then sprinkle with salt, toss then let sit 20-30 minutes, (I sit in a colander in the sink) then squeeze out the excess water, throw in a pan with a good amount of butter & cook 5-10 minutes (play around to find how well you like it done) toss into a bowl & add your sauce, pesto, bolanase, whatever it is your using, give a wee toss & enjoy. hard to describe texture.. kinda depends on how long you cook and how much sauce you've smothered it with LOL.

Congrats! Yeah, almost there is good. :)

I don't even know what I'm aiming for. I'm in better shape than I would have expected for what I weigh, but my body has changed a lot. That matters more to me than a number on the scale.

But I am seriously wanting to work on some purposeful muscle development. I think I need to carefully calculate my protein though. I've noticed I have edged up my protein intake over recent months.

Very true. I didn't anticipate many of the benefits I've seen. But I'm thankful!

I don't really worry about the scale, its handy to keep a general eye on if weights changing but really doesn't give the whole picture.. so the scale could says nothings changed but if your clothes are looser. well obviously its wrong, you could have dropped 5 lbs of fat but put on 5 lbs of muscle, your actual size is going to go down as the fat took up more actual space. :p

Upvote 0