Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thats interesting. Can you list all the benefits you think keto has given you so far?

For me I noticed I had a more stable mood, I had more stable energy throughout the day, less hungry, and of course higher self esteem because I felt better about how I looked:)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thats interesting. Can you list all the benefits you think keto has given you so far?

For me I noticed I had a more stable mood, I had more stable energy throughout the day, less hungry, and of course higher self esteem because I felt better about how I looked:)
Probably not all of them. Some of them are a little personal. And I may have forgotten a few since I tend to forget I ever had an issue when it isn't ongoing. Some of the benefits may have been from losing weight too and not strictly Keto benefits.

But primarily the pain in my arms from lymphedema has stopped. The swelling is less.

I've lost weight, which is good, and of course I feel better from that.

I sleep better. Insomnia is MUCH less a problem.

My joints are better. I actually had several problems. I think some are better from Keto (non-weight bearing joints like my wrists and elbows) but my knee is significantly better too. I had PT a year ago for it but the problem seems fixed finally now.

Also cartilage in one foot due to misaligned bones gives me a lot of trouble but it's stopped hurting - could be be both Keto and weight loss.

I think my mind is more focused (fueled by ketones is supposed to do that) but it's not hugely noticeable.

My immune functioning is finally better. That could be a function of time (cancer treatments really messed it up) or it could be Keto.

My face looks much better. I'm older and I thought the uneven tones were a function of age but it's noticeably much better over the last several months.

I'm not getting dental infections anymore. I inherited terrible teeth and zero sugar would have benefited me a lot much earlier in life.

I FEEL much better and have much more energy. Not only am I now able to exercise again but I actually want to. :)

I don't have dry eyes anymore.

My nails aren't brittle and cracking off into the quick anymore.

My metabolism seems to be working much more how it should be ... though I think I need my thyroid meds adjusted because I've lost a good bit of weight. I'll probably feel even better when that's balanced again.

Other benefits as well but they fall under TMI.

I had only one complaint, and that was about two months in I suddenly was losing a lot of hair! But that lasted only a week and resolved without even increasing vitamins/minerals (which I should have done). My hair looks fine now. I know there are "cycles" that can cause a sudden fullness in the hairbrush and I think I just inadvertently reset one of them.

That and I'm frequently thirsty! But that's not so bad. It helps me drink the water I should have been drinking anyway but wasn't.

That and such things like "Keto breath" are not entirely gone. I carry xylitol gum and only need it once every couple of weeks now.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Coconut butter
Coconut oil? I drink it every morning in my coffee.

I used to think it was just a way to boost calories/fat so I stopped for a week early on. It disrupted everything to not use it, so I've had it every day since.

I read it'd because of the medium-chain triglycerides in coconut oil. Whatever it is, it really does work.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Coconut oil? I drink it every morning in my coffee.

I used to think it was just a way to boost calories/fat so I stopped for a week early on. It disrupted everything to not use it, so I've had it every day since.

I read it'd because of the medium-chain triglycerides in coconut oil. Whatever it is, it really does work.

Coconut butter is sort of like peanut butter but it's made from coconuts.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Coconut butter is sort of like peanut butter but it's made from coconuts.
How would that be used? I've never heard it suggested? I did look it up and can get it or make it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
How would that be used? I've never heard it suggested? I did look it up and can get it or make it.

Usually I just put it on a rice cake or a piece of bread. If you are hardcore keto you can just eat it plain, it tastes pretty good.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Usually I just put it on a rice cake or a piece of bread. If you are hardcore keto you can just eat it plain, it tastes pretty good.
LOL yeah I wouldn't use rice cakes. There is a bread they make that I use a little of - it's mostly seeds and nuts.

The macros are better than my peanut butter which I also eat very, very little of.

Probably also get MCTs from it. I might have to give that a try - thanks!

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi there!

I'm still on it, and doing so well I'm not sure I will ever get off. I wouldn't want to lose the other health benefits even after I don't need to lose weight anymore (though I think I might have to eat quite a lot to keep from losing!).

Resources are always appreciated though. I have been Keto for six months now. I just recently discovered a "corn muffin" recipe I like (almond flour, cheeses, eggs) and that's my first good bread replacement. I tend to find a recipe I like and stick with it. I really should experiment more. But having things people have already tried with success would be invaluable.

I've wondered though if I can go paleo or slow carb or something someday. I wonder if I would keep the anti-inflammatory benefits of Keto. I love that the pain has stopped, my joints are much better, I've lost about 60% of what I wanted to get to an ideal weight - and even my skin tone is becoming even and clear. I think I can live forever without bread, pasta, and sugar. But sometimes I'd like a little potato and more fruit, maybe even a drop of honey.

Sure, though, I'd appreciate any resources at all. :) Thanks!
For food ideas and treats i like a https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ her recipes are really good,, at least all the ones ive tried. Look for the strombolli :D (sp?)
If you like indian food then https://headbangerskitchen.com/
Whats your restriction on veg? Is it just the usual keto stuff or do you need to work around sensitivitys (for instance nightshades)
Do you know about cloud buns? I use for sandwiches and burgers and its quite easy to make.
You might already have seen these but if not, check youtube for Dr. Jason Fung and Dr. Ken Berry for lotsa good keto tips/info etc.

And https://www.ketogenicforums.com/ is a really good community of keto folks with tons of combined info and ideas (including foodie stuff and recipes)

I started out going primal (basicly paleo but alows dairy ) about 5-6 years ago due to some health issues and dh being diagnosed diabetic around the same time.
Did very well on that, lost some weight and dh anoyed the drs by no longer testing diabetic(you wouldent think that would upset them but.....)
I Also lost the very anoying inflammation/pain in my shoulder(originally thought to be due to repetitive strain from my work but turns out Im reactive to wheat. Can always tell when ive eaten wheat now because I get all achy across my shoulders and back.)
But ive contenued researching and tweaking over the years, about 4-5 months ago a came across some talks by Dr. Jason Fung (if you havent already listened/read his stuff I highly recomend it) and started researching it further. At this point DH wasent diabetic any more but blood sugar still ran a bit higher than optimal and Dr. Fung has being using keto & fasting to cure his patients of diabetes... so 3 months ago I tweaked our already low carb/high woe to be keto ie. really low carb and extra high fat...
I lost 35 lbs in about 6 weeks, with 5” off my waist and although I havent seen the scale move much in the last month or so, I can still see changes (obviously loosing fat still but putting on muscle which is keeping me from loosing lbs.) my skin was pretty good on primal but now my skin looks great, I have a lot more energy, and just generally feel better. I also have a mole on my knee that has shrunk to about half the size since going keto.
DH has lost some weight also, hes always had a lot of problems with his teeth and gums which slowed when we went primal but that actully seems to stopped degrading since keto per his last check up last week. (First time hes gone and not needed anything done!) hes also seen improvments in his mood, hes always struggled with depression but while he still has bouts, its longer between and not as bad. Better energy also.
My dogs have been keto since they were puppys and they're both super healthy :D

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Try adding cocoa butter to your bulletproof coffee (the proper stuff, 99.9% fat.... not “white chocolate”bars) makes like a chocolate mocha,, yum(and im not a coffee person.

Also try adding a small pinch of salt to your bulletproof coffee. Also yum!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For food ideas and treats i like a https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ her recipes are really good,, at least all the ones ive tried. Look for the strombolli :D (sp?)
If you like indian food then https://headbangerskitchen.com/
Whats your restriction on veg? Is it just the usual keto stuff or do you need to work around sensitivitys (for instance nightshades)
Do you know about cloud buns? I use for sandwiches and burgers and its quite easy to make.
You might already have seen these but if not, check youtube for Dr. Jason Fung and Dr. Ken Berry for lotsa good keto tips/info etc.

And https://www.ketogenicforums.com/ is a really good community of keto folks with tons of combined info and ideas (including foodie stuff and recipes)

I started out going primal (basicly paleo but alows dairy ) about 5-6 years ago due to some health issues and dh being diagnosed diabetic around the same time.
Did very well on that, lost some weight and dh anoyed the drs by no longer testing diabetic(you wouldent think that would upset them but.....)
I Also lost the very anoying inflammation/pain in my shoulder(originally thought to be due to repetitive strain from my work but turns out Im reactive to wheat. Can always tell when ive eaten wheat now because I get all achy across my shoulders and back.)
But ive contenued researching and tweaking over the years, about 4-5 months ago a came across some talks by Dr. Jason Fung (if you havent already listened/read his stuff I highly recomend it) and started researching it further. At this point DH wasent diabetic any more but blood sugar still ran a bit higher than optimal and Dr. Fung has being using keto & fasting to cure his patients of diabetes... so 3 months ago I tweaked our already low carb/high woe to be keto ie. really low carb and extra high fat...
I lost 35 lbs in about 6 weeks, with 5” off my waist and although I havent seen the scale move much in the last month or so, I can still see changes (obviously loosing fat still but putting on muscle which is keeping me from loosing lbs.) my skin was pretty good on primal but now my skin looks great, I have a lot more energy, and just generally feel better. I also have a mole on my knee that has shrunk to about half the size since going keto.
DH has lost some weight also, hes always had a lot of problems with his teeth and gums which slowed when we went primal but that actully seems to stopped degrading since keto per his last check up last week. (First time hes gone and not needed anything done!) hes also seen improvments in his mood, hes always struggled with depression but while he still has bouts, its longer between and not as bad. Better energy also.
My dogs have been keto since they were puppys and they're both super healthy :D
Thanks!

It's going to take me a few days to get time to look much into this but I definitely will.

I've heard of cloud buns but not tried to make them yet.

I'm really glad to hear that both you and your husband are doing better.

Try adding cocoa butter to your bulletproof coffee (the proper stuff, 99.9% fat.... not “white chocolate”bars) makes like a chocolate mocha,, yum(and im not a coffee person.

Also try adding a small pinch of salt to your bulletproof coffee. Also yum!

Actually I just recently ordered and received some real cocoa butter. I'll definitely have to try that!

Though I'll have to see if I can keep with it. Most times when I try to change my coffee I start losing benefits. I made some really good things I froze into ice trays with my coconut oil, heavy whipping cream, a bit of cocoa, and monkfruit. Turns out I can't use sweeteners of any kind early in the day if I lose a good bit of the momentum of my progress.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Forgot to say since going keto, DH’s blood sugar has gone from high end of normal, to spot on perfect normal.

Your body probably really likes the mct in the coconut oil, i wouldent mess around with it to much if its working for you but you could use the cocoabutter coffee as a treat/comfort food type thing instead of substituting for your reg coffee, I sometimes have one in the evning as a hot chocolate substitute. (Of course this wont work well for you if you get a coffee “boost” right before bedtime, but I have no reaction to coffee whatsoever, i might as well drink water for all the effect it has on me lol)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Forgot to say since going keto, DH’s blood sugar has gone from high end of normal, to spot on perfect normal.

Your body probably really likes the mct in the coconut oil, i wouldent mess around with it to much if its working for you but you could use the cocoabutter coffee as a treat/comfort food type thing instead of substituting for your reg coffee, I sometimes have one in the evning as a hot chocolate substitute. (Of course this wont work well for you if you get a coffee “boost” right before bedtime, but I have no reaction to coffee whatsoever, i might as well drink water for all the effect it has on me lol)
I was thinking that very same thing. Caffeine in thst amount doesn't seem to affect me. And I sometimes miss a cup of hot cocoa at night. I'm going to try this very soon! :)

And yes the MCTs apparently really do something for my body. I guess I'm going to hope to stay on coconut oil from here on out. I still need to get blood work - my cholesterol was borderline high before going on Keto. I'm hoping like most folks it has gotten better despite the high fat diet. I should know in a few weeks.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Heh, caffeine in any amount dosent seem to effect me at all. DH dident belive me and got me to drink a triple espresso once....noooothhhhing.
Another one thats nice is bulletproof chia tea. I make mine from scratch and use double cream/butter/coconut oil/cocoa butter (depends on mood )

You might want to do some more research into the cholesterol info as theres no actual studys that show high mortality links to high cholesterol (but there is due to low cholesterol) also knowing how to read and caluculate test results is helpful, exspecially when it seems way to many drs. Have no clue, although I would hope that if your dr is in the know about keto, then they may also be more aware of the actual studys/info for cholesterol

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Heh, caffeine in any amount dosent seem to effect me at all. DH dident belive me and got me to drink a triple espresso once....noooothhhhing.
Another one thats nice is bulletproof chia tea. I make mine from scratch and use double cream/butter/coconut oil/cocoa butter (depends on mood )

I'm thinking tonight might be a good time for that cocoa butter coffee. ;)

If I have a huge amount of caffeine on an empty stomach it can make me a little off but it takes a lot. I used to become too used to it though (tea) and when I would stop cold turkey I'd get a caffeine withdrawal headache.

You might want to do some more research into the cholesterol info as theres no actual studys that show high mortality links to high cholesterol (but there is due to low cholesterol) also knowing how to read and caluculate test results is helpful, exspecially when it seems way to many drs. Have no clue, although I would hope that if your dr is in the know about keto, then they may also be more aware of the actual studys/info for cholesterol

I've done a little research but I'm going to wait for the numbers I guess and dive into it only if I have to.

Unfortunately my doctors both left the practice (my primary decided not to return after maternity leave and I really liked her) so I'm starting over with a doc I don't know at all. So we will see how it goes.

However - I'm not going to be stupid about it, but I'm able to learn what I need on my own too. I learned not to let the sentiment of the moment overrule good sense in my medical treatment. It's still MY body.

I hope the numbers just look good though. I'm hoping for a good balance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cocoa butter in coffee IS good. And as a bonus, the part that stuck to my hands as I was shaving it into the cup can be rubbed in for a nice moisturizer. ;)

I know right:D
Double win!

Although I usally lick it off my fingers, and I keep popping the cocoa butter straight into my mouth which dh finds weird since its not sweetened or anything lol

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I know right:D
Double win!

Although I usally lick it off my fingers, and I keep popping the cocoa butter straight into my mouth which dh finds weird since its not sweetened or anything lol
I admit that I wished it had a different taste. Cocoa butter in lotion SMELLS delicious. Mine has very little flavor on it's own in those tiny shavings. Not cocoa-y at all as I'd thought. And mine came from a candy-supply source.

But in coffee it's really good. Difficult to describe the flavor. And it's no detriment to the effects of my diet to change the coffee. I've been doing particularly well since I began using it, though I can't say whether it's the actual cause.

Looks like I'll have to reorder sooner than I'd initially expected.

Upvote 0

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, the taste is much milder but also gotta watch out as some of the cocoa butter you can get is deoderized... :( which is kinda a waste of good cocoa butter.
But if your getting that white chocolate taste in the coffee then you probably have the right one.

Pretty sure its got Theraputic benifits to... even if there just placibo induced. :p

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, the taste is much milder but also gotta watch out as some of the cocoa butter you can get is deoderized... :( which is kinda a waste of good cocoa butter.
But if your getting that white chocolate taste in the coffee then you probably have the right one.

Pretty sure its got Theraputic benifits to... even if there just placibo induced. :p
Interesting. I never did any research on it at all. It was just called for in some recipes I wanted to try and I ordered some.

Mine came in very large chunks. I was getting tired of trying to shave off the 1/2 ounce I started using, getting it into my coffee-brewing container before the scale reset. So today I chopped it all up into small pieces though lots of shavings and powder resulted. I thought of storing it in a glass container but I'm not sure yet.

I'll have to do some digging about the deodorized part (I'm wondering now - it has less smell than some hand creams I've used but maybe they had added scent.). But it's for candy-making from a candy company so I'd hoped it was a good grade for eating. And I am interested in the therapeutic effects if there are any. Hard to sort out though because I'm doing so well in general, but have particular challenges from past health issues, so it takes close measuring of effects and record-keeping to discover what works, and often there's no way to be sure. I've learned a lot over the past months since I've been doing it though.

Upvote 0