Jewish leaders call for warnings in Bibles over “antisemitic” New Testament passages

Emanuel333221

Mar 3, 2017
US
✟17,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“Jewish leaders are calling for new editions of the Bible and Koran to carry warning messages which highlight anti-Semitic passages in the holy texts.

The recommendations have been made in a new document called ‘An End to Antisemitism! A Catalogue of Policies to Combat Antisemitism’.

It was produced following an international conference organised by the European Jewish Congress, at which academics gathered to discuss how prejudice and discrimination can be tackled.

Among the policies mentioned in the document was the idea of warning messages in holy texts, a topic discussed in a chapter entitled 'recommendations regarding Religious Groups and Institutions'.

The document reads: 'Translations of the New Testament, the Qur’an and other Christian or Muslim literatures need marginal glosses, and introductions that emphasize continuity with Jewish heritage of both Christianity and Islam and warn readers about antisemitic passages in them.

'While some efforts have been made in this direction in the case of Christianity, these efforts need to be extended and made consistent in both religions.'

There are several themes in the New Testament that have come under fire for their use as justification for anti-Semitic attitudes.

These include the blame of Jews for the death of Jesus and the seemingly stubborn nature of the Jewish people and their disloyalty to God.”

Jewish leaders call for religious texts to carry warnings highlighting anti-Semitic passages | Daily Mail Online

• Prayers
Reactions: Verv

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
“Jewish leaders are calling for new editions of the Bible and Koran to carry warning messages which highlight anti-Semitic passages in the holy texts.

I think the highlights would only make Christians aware that the Bible contains anti-semitic passages:doh::doh::doh:

Most Christians are not even aware of any anti-semitic passages on the Bible.

What are they thinking??:doh::doh::doh:

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

God is pretty critical of the Jewish people in the OT as well....I wonder if these same people will demand that parts of the OT to contain the same warnings.

WARNING POSSIBLE HATE SPEECH--Jer_4:22 For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.

Reactions: Verv
Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is a patently absurd idea to put these sorts of things in books -- let alone in established Holy Texts.

You know, if we let people drink alcohol, choose who they sleep with, choose their political leaders, etc., I think we can trust them to actually read their Holy texts and any other books that they choose without some group inserting their "warnings" into them.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Anti-semitism" (which is already a work of fiction) is quickly becoming redefined as "anything that quotes Jewish religious authorities accurately".

So you don't think that anti-semitism has ever existed ???

Reactions: Nige55
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Only if we can put a similar warning on the Old Testament. One might be tempted after all to believe Jews will constantly rebel against God and always need reprimanding.

Isaiah 65:1 I revealed Myself to those who did not ask for Me; I was found by those who did not seek Me. I said: “Here I am! Here I am!” to a nation that did not call My name. 2All day long I have held out My hands to an obstinate people, who walk in the wrongpath, who follow their own imaginations,3to a people who continually provoke Me to My face.

In seriousness, any bible manufacturer who puts such a warning on their bible has no integrity and doesn't believe in the ability of people to read the text and find out Anti-antisemitism is bad.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
"Anti-semitism" (which is already a work of fiction) is quickly becoming redefined as "anything that quotes Jewish religious authorities accurately".
Not even a month ago somebody walked into a synagogue saying he wanted to kill all Jews. I think it's a stretch to say anti-semitism is a work of fiction.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,932.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Just to be fair,,,,,,

We should also demand other major religious texts like the Jewish Talmud and Muslim Quran to highlight any "anti - goyim(non-Jew) / infidel" references.

We Christians also suffer severe persecution in some parts of the world, I guess we also have the right to complain and impose on others any beliefs that may encourage persecution against us!

• Agree
Reactions: Phil.Stein
Upvote 0

JazzHands

Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Neo-Nazi Unite the Right Trump supporters chanting "Jews will not replace us!" during their rallies.

I suggest reading this article: Trump’s America is not a safe place for Jews

Ironically, here in Britain it's the militant tendency of the left to deride Jews whilst the establishment attempts to placate them. In truth, neither pole is above reproach and it's a shame that good Christians aren't being as vocal in their denunciation of either prejudice as they should be. I've also never seen any evidence of anti-semitism from Trump so I think the neo-nazi's are probably barking up the wrong tree - storm in a teacup!

Upvote 0

Junker P Hoodwink

Nov 26, 2018
TX
✟21,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The recommendations have been made in a new document called ‘An End to Antisemitism! A Catalogue of Policies to Combat Antisemitism’.

It was produced following an international conference organised by the European Jewish Congress, at which academics gathered to discuss how prejudice and discrimination can be tackled.

Among the policies mentioned in the document was the idea of warning messages in holy texts, a topic discussed in a chapter entitled 'recommendations regarding Religious Groups and Institutions'.

The document reads: 'Translations of the New Testament, the Qur’an and other Christian or Muslim literatures need marginal glosses, and introductions that emphasize continuity with Jewish heritage of both Christianity and Islam and warn readers about antisemitic passages in them.

'While some efforts have been made in this direction in the case of Christianity, these efforts need to be extended and made consistent in both religions.'

There are several themes in the New Testament that have come under fire for their use as justification for anti-Semitic attitudes.

These include the blame of Jews for the death of Jesus and the seemingly stubborn nature of the Jewish people and their disloyalty to God.”

Jewish leaders call for religious texts to carry warnings highlighting anti-Semitic passages | Daily Mail Online

Anti-Christian bigots, Jewish and Gentile alike, have a long-standing tradition of calling the Bible racist, bigoted, homophobic, anti-Semitic, racist, misogynist, and the whole gamut of slurs. I wouldn’t pay attention to such haters of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

James Forthwright

Wielder of the Sword
Aug 22, 2009
Distressed States of America
✟8,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Neo-Nazi Unite the Right Trump supporters chanting "Jews will not replace us!" during their rallies.

I suggest reading this article: Trump’s America is not a safe place for Jews

The article you referenced was fraught with mis-information and falsehoods. The mainstream media (which is predominantly owned by Jews) continues their attacks against President Trump on a daily basis. Like any other religious group, the Jews should not be above criticism.

There are over a hundred NT scriptures which are critical of the Jews and Christians would do well to pay attention to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tkolter

May 8, 2018
Saint Petersburg, Florida
✟22,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anti-Christian bigots, Jewish and Gentile alike, have a long-standing tradition of calling the Bible racist, bigoted, homophobic, anti-Semitic, racist, misogynist, and the whole gamut of slurs. I wouldn’t pay attention to such haters of God.

Well in their defense to the secular person it can be a very offensive book on those grounds the Ways of God are not our ways those of men.

• Agree
Upvote 0

tkolter

May 8, 2018
Saint Petersburg, Florida
✟22,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Well in their defense to the secular person it can be a very offensive book on those grounds the Ways of God are not our ways those of men.

Upvote 0

The Gryphon

Sep 26, 2018
Canyon Country
✟23,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If the government allowed truthful and accurate education about the faiths, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam there would not need to be any warnings! Tell the truth about the actual history of all three faiths and let people decide for themselves. Not the propaganda versions but the true fundamental basis of all three faiths. The problems come when men begin to taint, modify, and seek to change the principles the founders taught. When you compare the basis of all three you come away with a very different picture than when you listen to all the rhetoric. No that is a worth while discussion!

Upvote 0