Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The U.S. bishops’ conference announced recently that it will require a pastoral note on antisemitism to be placed in worship aids and pew missals ahead of all Good Friday passion narratives, beginning this year.

The new requirement was announced last year in a memo from the heads of USCCB Committees on Divine Worship and Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs to publishers of missals and worship aids.

Notice of the memo was also included in the Committee on Divine Worship’s January 2024 newsletter, which noted that the conference has previously provided guidance on homilies and a similar statement for the Good Friday passion in the 1990s and 2000s.

The goal of the statement, the newsletter said, is “to help ensure that the proclamation of the Lord’s Passion is not misused to promote anti-Jewish sentiment.”

The note on antisemitism, which is available in both English and Spanish, reads:

“The passion narratives are proclaimed in full so that all see vividly the love of Christ for each person. In light of this, the crimes during the Passion of Christ cannot be attributed, in either preaching or catechesis, indiscriminately to all Jews of that time, nor to Jews today. The Jewish people should not be referred to as though rejected or cursed, as if this view followed from Scripture. The Church ever keeps in mind that Jesus, his mother Mary, and the apostles all were Jewish. As the Church has always held, Christ freely suffered his passion and death because of the sins of all, that all might be saved.”
The text is drawn from the Second Vatican Council’s Nostra aetate and the Catechism of the Catholic Church, which teaches explicitly that “Jews are not collectively responsible for Jesus’ death.”

Continued below.

Reactions: DJWhalen

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟332,711.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The article asks why now for this? I would assume it's because of the extreme rise of anti-semitism. Example:

Between Oct. 7 and Dec. 7, ADL recorded a total of 2,031 antisemitic incidents, up from 465 incidents during the same period in 2022, representing a 337-percent increase year-over-year. This includes 40 incidents of physical assault, 337 incidents of vandalism, 749 incidents of verbal or written harassment and 905 rallies including antisemitic rhetoric, expressions of support for terrorism against the state of Israel and/or anti-Zionism. On average, over the last 61 days, Jews in America experienced nearly 34 antisemitic incidents per day.

Articles like that make me angry. (At the article, not at you Michie for posting it. Information is always good). But it's not "politically correct" to make a statement that:

“[W]e cannot lay responsibility for the trial on the Jews in Jerusalem as a whole,” it says. “Still less can we extend responsibility to other Jews of different times and places.”

It's the truth, and something that's much needed given what the Jewish people are currently experiencing.

Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. But I do think it sad that they feel the need to go this far. To me, it’s common sense. But maybe I should not take that for granted.
The article asks why now for this? I would assume it's because of the extreme rise of anti-semitism. Example:

Between Oct. 7 and Dec. 7, ADL recorded a total of 2,031 antisemitic incidents, up from 465 incidents during the same period in 2022, representing a 337-percent increase year-over-year. This includes 40 incidents of physical assault, 337 incidents of vandalism, 749 incidents of verbal or written harassment and 905 rallies including antisemitic rhetoric, expressions of support for terrorism against the state of Israel and/or anti-Zionism. On average, over the last 61 days, Jews in America experienced nearly 34 antisemitic incidents per day.

Articles like that make me angry. (At the article, not at you Michie for posting it. Information is always good). But it's not "politically correct" to make a statement that:

“[W]e cannot lay responsibility for the trial on the Jews in Jerusalem as a whole,” it says. “Still less can we extend responsibility to other Jews of different times and places.”

It's the truth, and something that's much needed given what the Jewish people are currently experiencing.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟332,711.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree. But I do think it sad that they feel the need to go this far. To me, it’s common sense. But maybe I should not take that for granted.
I don't think common sense can be taken for granted any more on any topic.....

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I've had something like this read before after the recitation of the Passion.

But, I mean, jeez, how can I say this and not get in trouble....

....ahh, facts are facts (I don't have to apologize for a fact, a fact just is...

We have a prominent member of one major political party, currently quoting and paraphrasing "Mein Kampf" on the presidential campaign trail, so... Yeah, maybe we need to remind people.

Upvote 0