Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Rapid reduction in fossil fuel burning urgently needed to preserve liveable conditions, say scientists, as climate damage deepens.

2023 smashes record for world’s hottest year by huge margin​

Rapid reduction in fossil fuel burning urgently needed to preserve liveable conditions, say scientists, as climate damage deepens

2023 “smashed” the record for the hottest year by a huge margin, providing “dramatic testimony” of how much warmer and more dangerous today’s climate is from the cooler one in which human civilisation developed.
The planet was 1.48C hotter in 2023 compared with the period before the mass burning of fossil fuels ignited the climate crisis. The figure is very close to the 1.5C temperature target set by countries in Paris in 2015
Guardian January 9th 2024

I think we need to take this seriously. We are on the edge.

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We're already way beyond "on the edge".
From today's BBC website (and on national tv news):

World's first year-long breach of key 1.5C warming limit​

For the first time, global warming has exceeded 1.5C across an entire year, according to the EU's climate service.
World leaders promised in 2015 to try to limit the long-term temperature rise to 1.5C, which is seen as crucial to help avoid the most damaging impacts.

We may not crossed the point of no return yet, but we are certainly near it.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
From today's BBC website (and on national tv news):

World's first year-long breach of key 1.5C warming limit​

For the first time, global warming has exceeded 1.5C across an entire year, according to the EU's climate service.
World leaders promised in 2015 to try to limit the long-term temperature rise to 1.5C, which is seen as crucial to help avoid the most damaging impacts.

We may not crossed the point of no return yet, but we are certainly near it.
Humanity is doing its best to make sure we blast past the point of no return so fast that it'll probably be impossible to tell when it exactly happened.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rapid reduction in fossil fuel burning urgently needed to preserve liveable conditions, say scientists, as climate damage deepens.

2023 smashes record for world’s hottest year by huge margin​

Rapid reduction in fossil fuel burning urgently needed to preserve liveable conditions, say scientists, as climate damage deepens

2023 “smashed” the record for the hottest year by a huge margin, providing “dramatic testimony” of how much warmer and more dangerous today’s climate is from the cooler one in which human civilisation developed.
The planet was 1.48C hotter in 2023 compared with the period before the mass burning of fossil fuels ignited the climate crisis. The figure is very close to the 1.5C temperature target set by countries in Paris in 2015
Guardian January 9th 2024

I think we need to take this seriously. We are on the edge.
World's hottest year? Since you didn't provide a link as you're supposed to, and pasting Guardian January 9th 2024 into Google doesn't help me find the article, could you please just provide the 4 and a half billion yearly temperatures?
We're already way beyond "on the edge".
You must be jumping for joy.

Reactions: Merrill
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Another visual to show how far the current situation has departed from even the recent past.

1707413535427.png

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
World's hottest year? Since you didn't provide a link as you're supposed to, and pasting Guardian January 9th 2024 into Google doesn't help me find the article, could you please just provide the 4 and a half billion yearly temperatures?

You must be jumping for joy.
My mistake! Here is the BBC link:

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the link, but the "world's hottest year" and the "hottest on record" are two different assertions.

The meaning of "world's hottest year" is modified by the use of "smashes record" earlier in the sentence. It's semantically (and technically) accurate, but the implication is difficult to parse and could be misconstrued.

Quibbling about semantics aside, 2023 was definitely the warmest year since temperature records began (about 1850 in Europe, or 1880 in North America).

There is very strong evidence (from dendochronology and ice cores) that 2023 was the warmest year in at least the last 5,000, and was likely the warmest year since before the onset of the last glacial maximum (about 29,500 years ago).

There is less strong (but still pretty good) evidence from geochemistry/isotope analysis that 2023 was the warmest year in the last 118,000 to 125,000 years.

There is a moderate amount of evidence that 2023 was the last time the planet was this warm was approximately 2.6 to 2.75 million years ago, before the start of the Pleistocene. To put that into context, humans weren't even a species at that time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The meaning of "world's hottest year" is modified by the use of "smashes record" earlier in the sentence. It's semantically (and technically) accurate, but the implication is difficult to parse and could be misconstrued.
Future generations will certainly look back with benevolence on our use of correct semantics as we stood by and let the greatest catastrophe of our age happen with our hands in our pockets.

• Useful
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Umm, I'm not sure I agree with that, but I don't want to be a grammar nazi. Fair enough.
Quibbling about semantics aside, 2023 was definitely the warmest year since temperature records began (about 1850 in Europe, or 1880 in North America).

There is very strong evidence (from dendochronology and ice cores) that 2023 was the warmest year in at least the last 5,000, and was likely the warmest year since before the onset of the last glacial maximum (about 29,500 years ago).

There is less strong (but still pretty good) evidence from geochemistry/isotope analysis that 2023 was the warmest year in the last 118,000 to 125,000 years.

There is a moderate amount of evidence that 2023 was the last time the planet was this warm was approximately 2.6 to 2.75 million years ago, before the start of the Pleistocene. To put that into context, humans weren't even a species at that time.
Something that seems disingenuous is like, just two years ago, where I live we had unprecedented low temperatures for unprecedented duration. You might have heard of it in the news; it resulted in many deaths and much property damage. If I mention that, people will say "weather is not climate". But if we have a hot spell, then "weather is climate".

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo81
Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Umm, I'm not sure I agree with that, but I don't want to be a grammar nazi. Fair enough.

Something that seems disingenuous is like, just two years ago, where I live we had unprecedented low temperatures for unprecedented duration. You might have heard of it in the news; it resulted in many deaths and much property damage. If I mention that, people will say "weather is not climate". But if we have a hot spell, then "weather is climate".
That is another quibble. In my opinion 'Where I live' is just trivialising the statistical data.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Something that seems disingenuous is like, just two years ago, where I live we had unprecedented low temperatures for unprecedented duration. You might have heard of it in the news; it resulted in many deaths and much property damage. If I mention that, people will say "weather is not climate".
Right. Because it isn't.
But if we have a hot spell, then "weather is climate".
Anyone who says that is wrong. Local weather may correlate with global climate patterns, but reducing that to "weather is climate" is incorrect.

Also important: climate affects local weather. Changes in the global average temperature modify long-standing large-scale weather patterns (i.e. the jet stream). This can result in large variations in local weather as, for example, cold arctic air that historically stayed in Canada gets blown down into the Great Plains and Texas.

Reactions: Gene2memE
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Nope, that was global warming as well, which produces extremes of temperature in both directions,

But here is a question for you: why do you think global warming has become a religious issue? Why do some Christians see AGW as a threat to their faith rather than a problem for all of us to solve?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Your unprecedented low temps were predicted - the model predicted large temperature swings, not just in one direction.

Research shows that company modeled and predicted global warming with 'shocking skill and accuracy' starting in the 1970s

01.10-exxon_graf_dinamit2213-2048x1813.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
But here is a question for you: why do you think global warming has become a religious issue? Why do some Christians see AGW as a threat to their faith rather than a problem for all of us to solve?

Because the mainstream (Pop or aka 'false') Christians are promoting an indulgent lifestyle that is directly responsible for increased greenhouse emissions.

They erroneously believe that God wants them to have such lifestyles when Jesus Christ in the Bible keeps preaching about restraint.

Other religions teaches restraint. The actual teachings of Jesus in the Bible also preaches restraint (unlike the preaching of mainstream (false) Christianity). Scientists are also telling about restraint.

The proof of global warming will force the mainstream (false) Christians to revise their doctrine of indulgence which is essentially admittance of a mistake. A very big one.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That is another quibble. In my opinion 'Where I live' is just trivialising the statistical data.
Well, I live on the same globe as you. Presumably.

Reactions: evoeth
Upvote 0