Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Finally found the quotation for you.....

You may also find this to be interesting......

Could there actually be two major Jerusalem third temples in the future?

Dennis,

I have found the National Geographic article that you mention. It is an interesting article. It mentions the Ark briefly as an Ethiopian belief, and as people have already said, makes no attempt to provide proof.

What we know about the Ark in Ethiopia is that it is kept by the Coptic Church. The only person who has access to it is an elderly monk.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Finally found the quotation for you.....

You may also find this to be interesting......

Could there actually be two major Jerusalem third temples in the future?

I believe the report that the Ark of the Covenant exists in Ethiopia and has been under guard for centuries. No one can confirm by sight what is actually in this building guarded by one priest, and when he is old, he tells the secret to one young priest who then takes over, while the old priest must die inside, and so on. It is necessary that this priest be extremely pious and devotes his life to this cause and this secret, and never leaves the temple. There is a celebration each month using a replica of the ark of the Covenant, but the actual ark is never viewed.

It is very unlikely that the original Ark of the Covenant is in Ethiopia. The Ethiopians are welcome to their traditions but otherwise I don't think it concerns us.

Suppose that Ethiopia does have the Ark, and has had it since the time of King Solomon. If Israel builds a new Temple, Ethiopia isn't going to send their Ark to Israel. The Ethiopians Ark, whatever it is, doesn't change anything. If Israel builds a new Temple, they won't have an Ark and the Holy of Holies will be empty.

I have no doubt that the Ethiopians made a copy of the Ark but I don't see any real chance that it is the original Ark of the Covenant. Look at it this way. It is known that Solomon met, and even married, the Queen of Sheba. The claim is that King Solomon foresaw the invasion of Pharaoh Shishek and the seizing of the treasure of the Temple by a foreign army. In fact, this happened under Solomon's son, King Rehoboam, only five years after Solomon's death. So the claim is that Solomon sent the Ark of the Covenant to Ethiopia for safekeeping.

I don't find this story to be believable. The Ark was Israel's greatest treasure, the most important historic and religious artifact, the centerpiece of the Temple. To the Levite priests of the time, it would make no sense to separate the Ark from the Temple. The Temple was made to contain and protect the Ark. What would the average Israelite think? If they knew that Solomon had sent their greatest treasure to a foreign country they knew nothing about, they wouldn't stand for it. They would say that Solomon had raided the Temple to give its greatest treasure to his girlfriend, the Queen of Sheba. The people would revolt if that got out, and there wouldn't be any way to keep it quiet.

• Agree
Reactions: keras
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
It is very unlikely that the original Ark of the Covenant is in Ethiopia. The Ethiopians are welcome to their traditions but otherwise I don't think it concerns us.

Suppose that Ethiopia does have the Ark, and has had it since the time of King Solomon. If Israel builds a new Temple, Ethiopia isn't going to send their Ark to Israel. The Ethiopians Ark, whatever it is, doesn't change anything. If Israel builds a new Temple, they won't have an Ark and the Holy of Holies will be empty.

I have no doubt that the Ethiopians made a copy of the Ark but I don't see any real chance that it is the original Ark of the Covenant. Look at it this way. It is known that Solomon met, and even married, the Queen of Sheba. The claim is that King Solomon foresaw the invasion of Pharaoh Shishek and the seizing of the treasure of the Temple by a foreign army. In fact, this happened under Solomon's son, King Rehoboam, only five years after Solomon's death. So the claim is that Solomon sent the Ark of the Covenant to Ethiopia for safekeeping.

I don't find this story to be believable. The Ark was Israel's greatest treasure, the most important historic and religious artifact, the centerpiece of the Temple. To the Levite priests of the time, it would make no sense to separate the Ark from the Temple. The Temple was made to contain and protect the Ark. What would the average Israelite think? If they knew that Solomon had sent their greatest treasure to a foreign country they knew nothing about, they wouldn't stand for it. They would say that Solomon had raided the Temple to give its greatest treasure to his girlfriend, the Queen of Sheba. The people would revolt if that got out, and there wouldn't be any way to keep it quiet.

Then I wonder what the priest is guarding that they would devote their whole life to it, never seeing the outside world ever again.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,820.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Then I wonder what the priest is guarding that they would devote their whole life to it, never seeing the outside world ever again.
People devote their lives to causes far less than guarding a religious icon.

The real Ark and the Temple furnishings remain hidden somewhere in the holy Land. God will guide His faithful Christian people to find them when the new Temple is built.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Don't be so sure. In the Eastern Orthodox Churches, there is a replica of the shroud in each Church (which we owned until it was stolen from the church in Constantinople during the Crusades). The shroud is real. The same may be true in the Coptic Orthodox Churches. The Ark is real and there are copies (tabot) in each Church.

Keepers of the Lost Ark? | Travel | Smithsonian

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

There is no shortage of applicants for the job, among senior monks.

As for not seeing the outside world, or not seeing much of it, the monk who is the guardian of their Ark made that decision when he became a monk. He does come out into the sunlight, but he can go in to the Ark whenever he chooses. I have seen this on video.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate

As for not seeing the outside world, or not seeing much of it, the monk who is the guardian of their Ark made that decision when he became a monk. He does come out into the sunlight, but he can go in to the Ark whenever he chooses. I have seen this on video.

From what I've read, they are not to leave the building.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From what I've read, they are not to leave the building.

I'm not sure the monk ever leaves the compound, but he does go outside. As I said, I've seen it on video.

Jeremiah said that the Ark was destroyed, or soon to be destroyed. He didn't say that Solomon sent it to Ethiopia.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

I'm not sure the monk ever leaves the compound, but he does go outside. As I said, I've seen it on video.

Jeremiah said that the Ark was destroyed, or soon to be destroyed. He didn't say that Solomon sent it to Ethiopia.
There is a video showing him inside the building and going to the ark?
How do they know it is the original from Solomon's Temple?

Is the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia?

According to Ethiopian lore, the Ark of the Covenant is hidden in a church in Aksum–a small city in the northern highlands–and guarded by a single monk.

190106-twigg-arc-of-the-covenant-ethiopia-hero_vm7evq

1018316866.jpg

web-ark-of-the-covenant-esteban-de-armas-shutterstock_293813567.jpg

Jer 3:16
“Then it shall come to pass, when you are multiplied and increased in the land in those days,” says the LORD, “that they will say no more, ‘The ark of the covenant of the LORD.' It shall not come to mind, nor shall they remember it, nor shall they visit it, nor shall it be made anymore.
==================
Sorry Indiana Jones, the Ark of the Covenant Is Not Inside This Ethiopian Church

Sorry Indiana Jones, the Ark of the Covenant Is Not Inside This Ethiopian Church

Over the past few days, several media outlets have reported on a centuries-old claim that the Ark of the Covenant — which allegedly held tablets recording the Ten Commandments — is inside a church in Aksum, Ethiopia, called the Church of Our Lady Mary of Zion, and that only the "guardian" of the ark is allowed to see it.

National Geographic even published a story saying that that those who guard the ark in Ethiopia "have been trained to kill with their bare hands" and that "historians and archaeologists would dearly love to examine the treasure, but the chapel [where the ark is kept] is off-limits to all but a few members of the Ethiopian Christian church hierarchy, hindering any independent confirmation of their authenticity."

However, Live Science has learned that accounts told by Edward Ullendorff, who saw the supposed ark during World War II, reveal that what is inside the church is a replica of the ark. Ullendorff, who was a professor at the University of London's School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), died in 2011. [30 of the World's Most Valuable Treasures That Are Still Missing]

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a video showing him inside the building and going to the ark?
How do they know it is the original from Solomon's Temple?

Is the Ark of the Covenant in Ethiopia?

According to Ethiopian lore, the Ark of the Covenant is hidden in a church in Aksum–a small city in the northern highlands–and guarded by a single monk.

190106-twigg-arc-of-the-covenant-ethiopia-hero_vm7evq

1018316866.jpg

web-ark-of-the-covenant-esteban-de-armas-shutterstock_293813567.jpg

Jer 3:16
“Then it shall come to pass, when you are multiplied and increased in the land in those days,” says the LORD, “that they will say no more, ‘The ark of the covenant of the LORD.' It shall not come to mind, nor shall they remember it, nor shall they visit it, nor shall it be made anymore.
==================

Over the past few days, several media outlets have reported on a centuries-old claim that the Ark of the Covenant — which allegedly held tablets recording the Ten Commandments — is inside a church in Aksum, Ethiopia, called the Church of Our Lady Mary of Zion, and that only the "guardian" of the ark is allowed to see it.

National Geographic even published a story saying that that those who guard the ark in Ethiopia "have been trained to kill with their bare hands" and that "historians and archaeologists would dearly love to examine the treasure, but the chapel [where the ark is kept] is off-limits to all but a few members of the Ethiopian Christian church hierarchy, hindering any independent confirmation of their authenticity."

However, Live Science has learned that accounts told by Edward Ullendorff, who saw the supposed ark during World War II, reveal that what is inside the church is a replica of the ark. Ullendorff, who was a professor at the University of London's School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), died in 2011. [30 of the World's Most Valuable Treasures That Are Still Missing]

LLOJ:
<< There is a video showing him inside the building and going to the ark?
How do they know it is the original from Solomon's Temple? >>

There is video of the Coptic priest/monk who is the guardian of the Ark entering and leaving the space where it is kept. He goes into the curtain and comes out of the curtain.

As to how they know it's the original, that's the question that hasn't been answered. To the Ethiopian Coptics, their tradition says so.

Thanks for the other information. I wasn't aware that anyone claimed to have examined it well enough to determine that it is a replica.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate

I've seen a video too, but still didn't see that particular monk.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,820.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah said that the Ark was destroyed, or soon to be destroyed.
Jeremiah 3:16-17 is about the Millennium period.
Jeremiah 3:14-15 & 18 tells about the soon to happen gathering of the Lord's faithful Christian people into all of the holy Land. They will build a new Temple and they will locate the Ark to go into it. Ezekiel 41:4, Ezekiel 43:1-7

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate

Please supply what Jeremiah said, and where this is found in the Bible. I need to read it for myself.

Upvote 0

iamlamad

Lamad
Jun 8, 2013
Home in Tulsa
✟101,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Many of the theories about the meaning of Revelation and other Biblical prophecies that we see on Christian Forums assume that the Jewish Temple will be rebuilt in Jerusalem. It is possible for Jews to rebuild the Temple. If they do, it will be called the Third Temple. The Temple standing at the time of Christ was the Second Temple. The Jewish Law allows a new Temple to be built, but a Third Temple may not be politically possible. There would be an international backlash. Very few Israelis are interested in the project, either as a matter of national pride, or as a matter of religious practice.

While Israelis could build a new Temple, if they wanted to badly enough, they cannot make a new Ark. The original Ark made at the time of Moses has been lost, it was destroyed. I have run into CF posters who become testy if you say that the Ark no longer exists, but it is settled history. Jeremiah referred to the loss of the Ark.

"In those days, when your numbers have increased greatly in the land,” declares the Lord, “people will no longer say, ‘The ark of the covenant of the Lord.’ It will never enter their minds or be remembered; it will not be missed, nor will another one be made."
Jeremiah 3:16 NIV

Here Jeremiah either predicts the destruction of the Ark, or it has already happened. Jeremiah predicts that memory of the Ark will fade and it will become ancient history. Why didn't the Israelites make a new Ark to replace the one lost to a foreign enemy? Making a new Ark according to the directions laid down in Exodus might seem straightforward. In Exodus 31, God tells Moses that He has chosen Bezalel and Oholiab to make the Ark and other furnishings of the Tabernacle. Bezalel was the master craftsman and Oholiab was his associate, or assistant.

Then the Lord said to Moses, 2 “See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, 3 and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills— 4 to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, 5 to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts. 6 Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given ability to all the skilled workers to make everything I have commanded you: 7 the tent of meeting, the ark of the covenant law with the atonement cover on it, and all the other furnishings of the tent— 8 the table and its articles, the pure gold lampstand and all its accessories, the altar of incense, 9 the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, the basin with its stand— 10 and also the woven garments, both the sacred garments for Aaron the priest and the garments for his sons when they serve as priests, 11 and the anointing oil and fragrant incense for the Holy Place. They are to make them just as I commanded you.”
Exodus 31: 1-11 NIV

God commanded that the Ark be made by Bezalel and Oholiab. When these two men passed away, there was no way to follow God's commands in making a new Ark.

What did they use for an Ark in the Second Temple? The Holy of Holies was empty.

As the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia tells us, at the time of Ezekiel:

"There was then no Ark of the Covenant, but Jewish tradition relates that the blood of the great Day of Atonement was sprinkled on an unhewn stone that stood in its place. In Herod's temple ... The holiest place continued empty."
--International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

Link
Holy of Holies in the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia.

Jesus seems to have indirectly referred to the Holy of Holies being an empty room in Matthew 23: 16-22. Here He is criticizing the Pharisees for swearing on the Temple and on the altar in the Temple. He does not mention swearing on the Ark. No one made that mistake because they knew there was no Ark in the Temple.

Where does this leave us? Modern day Jews cannot build another Ark. Jewish scripture doesn't leave any wiggle room, and there is the precedent of the Second Temple. A new Ark wasn't made then, so one won't be made now.

There are several reasons that few Jews are interested in building a new Temple. In Old Testament times, most families owned animals, even if that wasn't their main business. Sacrificing animals at the Temple in gratitude to God, or by way of asking forgiveness, made sense to people. But how many Jews own sheep today? Jews have done without animal sacrifice for almost two thousand years and few want to bring it back.

If it were possible to make a new Ark and place it in a new Temple, that could be a matter of national and religious pride. Without an Ark, it may not be worth the trouble.

So much for Jeremiah's prophecy: I believe here IS a new one made, but out of silver, not gold. Perhaps I dreamed it. I doubt it thought! It was brought out at a Benny Hinn meeting.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Please supply what Jeremiah said, and where this is found in the Bible. I need to read it for myself.

The third paragraph of the Original Post:

"In those days, when your numbers have increased greatly in the land,” declares the Lord, “people will no longer say, ‘The ark of the covenant of the Lord.’ It will never enter their minds or be remembered; it will not be missed, nor will another one be made."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So much for Jeremiah's prophecy: I believe here IS a new one made, but out of silver, not gold. Perhaps I dreamed it. I doubt it thought! It was brought out at a Benny Hinn meeting.

So much for Benny Hinn.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
The third paragraph of the Original Post:

Thanks

Revelation 11:19
19 Then the temple of God was opened in heaven, and the ark of His covenant was seen in His temple. And there were lightnings, noises, thunderings, an earthquake, and great hail.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Which Comes First: Messiah or the Temple?

St. Ephraim (d. 373AD) in his sermon, “On the coming of the Lord, the end of the world, and the coming of the Antichrist,” says the Jews will accept the false “messiah”—the Antichrist—and he will rebuild for them their Temple in Jerusalem.

“The Jews will rejoice and give honor to the reign of the antichrist more than anyone else. And he, under pretense of preference, and being industrious with them, will designate for them all a place and the temple.”

After the Temple of Solomon is rebuilt in Jerusalem, the Antichrist will sit in the Temple to be crowned “king”.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks

Revelation 11:19
19 Then the temple of God was opened in heaven, and the ark of His covenant was seen in His temple. And there were lightnings, noises, thunderings, an earthquake, and great hail.

Revelation is full of symbolism, so what is John really saying in Revelation 11:19? Scholars believe that one reason it is so filled with symbolism is that it was written at a time of deadly persecution. Christians were being killed all the time. The true meaning of many passages is masked for that reason and possibly other reasons.

Look at it this way. The Old Testament gives us the Old Covenant. The New Testament gives us the New Covenant.

Covenant Symbol

Old Covenant Ark of the Covenant

New Covenant Cross

When John, speaking of a time when Christians are under the New Covenant, says that the Ark is seen in heaven, I think that he is saying that the cross will be seen in heaven. It will be the sign of the New Covenant that is seen, not the sign of the Old Covenant.

I said much the same thing earlier, in a reply to Little Lamb of Jesus. See Post #36.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello CL........Herod's temple and Sanctuary were in 1st century Jerusalem.

Revelation is full of symbolism, so what is John really saying in Revelation 11:19?

As you've read about the Exodus out of Egypt, God's specific plans for the building of the tabernacle, was the blueprint from the one in heaven. It has always existed, and still does. That ark is the eternal one, the one made by Moses was a replica. The ark in heaven contains God's eternal laws. I doubt that there is a cross in heaven.

You might want to consider this question, instead of the cross. What was the "sign" of the first covenant that was included within God's first covenant laws? And what is the "sign" of the new covenant that has deeper commandments? Here is how I see the answers in Scripture.

Exodus 31:13 the Sabbath was the sign of the first covenant. Christ fulfilled this foreshadow of resting/trusting in Him. It is through trusting Christ that we enter into God's rest. Hebrews 4.

1 Corinthians 11:25 you are close with the cross, but what was shed on that cross? Blood. Therefore the Cup of the New Covenant is the sign of the New Covenant.

Upvote 0