Word Scratcher
Sep 12, 2002
The library
Visit site
✟8,706.00
Faith
Christian
Hey folks,

I joined a while ago, but i haven't had time to post much. So here goes my first "real" post.

I'm a Christian and a runner. I've been running for 8.5 years. I was training for the upcoming Chicago marathon and, unfortunately, I pulled/sprained my groin and part of my leg the week before the event. I'm not really bummed about this because God allows things for a reason.

I'm interested in taking other non-running, exercise classes to strengthen my legs. I was telling a Christian (Pentecostal) friend that I'm considering yoga and/or pilates to aid in my recovery. She cautioned me against it because yoga is based on eastern religion/philosophy. According to *her* research, yoga postures mimic prayer posters to eastern/Hindu gods.

Is this true?

I then mentioned that I would look into pilates. She also recommended that I do some research to make sure that I wasn't dabbling in "occult-like" activities.

I'm familiar with the following scriptures that tell us to watch out for the "disguises" of the devil and new age spirituality:

2 Corinthians 11:14--And now wonder, for Satan masquerades himself as an angel of light.

2 Timothy talks about "having a form of godliness with no power...have nothing to do with them."

Can this be said of basic, exercise-based yoga?

I'd like to hear ALL opinions. :) Thanks!

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Hatha yoga is the physical yoga--with none of the Hindu spirituality mixed in. It is an excellent form of excercise for people of all abilities, and it can make you really strong and flexible.

Sign up for a class in Hatha Yoga and you won't get any of the transcendental, new age stuff, just the excercise.

Upvote 0

Rae

Pro-Marriage. All marriage.
Aug 31, 2002
Somewhere out there...
Visit site
✟25,746.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Just FYI, my mother and father are, respectively, agnostic and deistic in their beliefs. They learned and practiced yoga, and I doubt they would have if it had been about Hindu spirituality. It may well have been hatha yoga...it sounded familiar when Lamb mentioned it.

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
Eating peaches can be demonic if you let it.

But my hatha yoga classes were not. They were at a yoga studio, not in a gym, and they were somewhat spiritual. Spiritual in the meaning that I could calm my mind and become more contemplative through movement--something that slowed me down enough so that I could focus. I'm sure some people *might* use yoga to focus on their next bank heist, but I tended to focus on where God was leading me, and we weren't lead to focus on anything other than our breathing and posture in class.

--tibac

Upvote 0

wildernesse

Use less and live more.
Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟16,673.00
Susan:

How is standing on the balls of your feet and reaching for the sky inviting demons into one's body? How about lying on your back breathing? Sitting cross-legged on the floor?

There were very few postures in my yoga class that my body hadn't already been in through dance classes, p.e. stretches, and just general life. When I was doing flexibility stretches for my tap/ballet classes was that ok, but when I was doing yoga it's evil?

Could you site the sources that led you to think this way. Do you have biblical data that says demons are invited in your body based on how you move?

Thanks for any info you have.

--tibac

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Susan
Yoga is demonic and the postures invite demons into one's body.

And whatever you do stay away from tantric yoga :sick: :mad:. That's what the Aleph cult is based on. . .enough said.

The postures invite demons into one's body??! Come on Susan. Sometimes I think you make comments like this for the attention.
There is a difference between Hatha Yoga and Tantric Yoga. If I remember correctly, Tantric Yoga involves more than a little sex. I'd have to look it up.
Hatha is completely different and very Americanized.

Upvote 0

LadyShea

Humanist
Aug 29, 2002
Nevada
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Atheist
Susan, you are the most fearful person I have ever come across. First demons can possess you or your computer via websites, now through moving your OWN body and breathing? You are a Christian right? Don't you believe Jesus is stronger than demons? Don't you trust your savior to protect you?

I wish her fellow Christians would help Susan...it is not healthy for a young person to be this afraid of the world.

Upvote 0

Brian45

Apr 23, 2002
✟34,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Annabel Lee
The postures invite demons into one's body??! Come on Susan. Sometimes I think you make comments like this for the attention.
There is a difference between Hatha Yoga and Tantric Yoga. If I remember correctly, Tantric Yoga involves more than a little sex. I'd have to look it up.
Hatha is completely different and very Americanized.

I'd have to look it up  ?

Now everybody knows what you don't do .         :D

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I do yoga and pilates. I really enjoy them. I have never had any demonic forces enter my body while doing them. They are both really good low-impact exercises for your joints. I use them as a warm-up and cool-down after exercising. Sometimes when I am really stressed, yoga helps calm me down and relax me. I see nothing wrong with a Christian doing these. However, if you don't feel comfortable doing them, then don't. I think it has more to do with your own mind set going in to the exercises than the yoga exercises themselves.

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Brian45

I'd have to look it up  ?

Now everybody knows what you don't do .         :D
LOL..yes they do. :)
When I did the search I came up with some *very* interesting sites, to say the least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VozNocturna

Word Scratcher
Sep 12, 2002
The library
Visit site
✟8,706.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by wildernesse
Susan:

How is standing on the balls of your feet and reaching for the sky inviting demons into one's body? How about lying on your back breathing? Sitting cross-legged on the floor?

I think what Susan is calling into question are the yoga postures. The exercises supposedly mimic Hindu prayer postures to specific gods.

I still don't know where I stand on the issue. One the one hand, posture we assume--be it sitting, looking up to the sky, croutching, etc.--can probably be found in the pantheon of religious prayer postures.

In Christianity, we are taught to bow our heads or kneel in prayer. Yet many times, when Jesus prayed the Bible strategically points out that he looked up to the sky.

A friend of mine told me a story about a man who had been taking yoga. Suddenly, he was posessed by a demon, whose name happened to be...yoga. I'm very good at distinguishing superstious urban legends from reality. I know that she doesn't make stories up, as she is a mature, strong Christian. At the same time, I don't dabble in the occult (horoscopes/astrology, etc.) nor do I associate with Christians who do, so I don't encounter outright demonic stuff like this.

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">&nbsp;I think there is a fine line. But I'm still not fully convinced that it is totally demonic. At the same time, I’m not rushing to take the class until I find the truth. I like to do a lot of research before I make final conclusions. The only thing that makes me hesitant to take the class is the chanting, which most places don’t do. I think I'll pay a visit to my local Christian bookstore to see what resources I can find.</SPAN>

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Voz,
Greetings and welcome to the forum. I'm an avid swimmer, and swore I'd never run again once I left the military...lol

Anyhow...I'm a Christian as well, but don't believe in demonic possessions...despite what some will tell you.

Many Regards,
Smilin

p.s....Me and LadyShea have tinfoil hats to protect us from 'demons' as well as the government agents who secretly try to read our thoughts :D

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Brian45
&nbsp;

It is also for individual couples ,&nbsp; I know women like this stuff but men find it time consuming , it takes us away from our television football and that's not good&nbsp; .&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; :D

Oh PLEASE Brian..You'd have me believe you wouldn't give up one day of football for a *really special yoga class*? :)
Where are your priorities?!

Peace and Yoga,
Annabel....Laughing hysterically

Upvote 0