Aug 21, 2004
✟8,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i was talking to a friend..and i was reading in the word about tithing.. can someone tell me if it is required to tithe today.. i know in the new testament that there was more offerings than tithing.. after jesus died and rose again... you really dont hear of tithing much in the bible in the new testament that is.... you hear alot of giving and offerings.. a question i would like more insight on please.. thanks

Busybee

As For Me And My House We Will Serve The Lord
Aug 17, 2004
TN
Visit site
✟2,281.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Some believe in tithing still today, however going by what I've read in the new testament it's freewill giving.

2 Corinthians 9:7 (NIV) "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

What our family gives varies from one Sunday to the next to be honest.

So if someone gives 10% of his earnings and really doesn't want to and someone gives $5, which is what they truly want to give, then it seems God is more pleased with the one who gave less. Basically it's a case of a gift from the heart type of thing. It's the thought that counts.

Upvote 0

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Busybee said:
Some believe in tithing still today, however going by what I've read in the new testament it's freewill giving.

2 Corinthians 9:7 (NIV) "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

What our family gives varies from one Sunday to the next to be honest.

So if someone gives 10% of his earnings and really doesn't want to and someone gives $5, which is what they truly want to give, then it seems God is more pleased with the one who gave less. Basically it's a case of a gift from the heart type of thing. It's the thought that counts.
Paul wrote to the Corinthian Church, "Now about the collection for God's people:Do what I told the Galation churches to do. On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made." (1 Cor. 16: 1,2)
Paul being a Jew trained as a Pharisee, I believe, is refering to a tithe in this passage.
Macca. :holy: :preach:

Upvote 0

gman

Aug 3, 2004
✟287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Tithing is not required for your salvation...otherwise...we could work our way to heaven...however, there is a principle from the old testament that still applies to us today because we know that God's purpose never changes (Hebrews 13:8-Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.)

10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,
That there may be food in My house,
And try Me now in this,"
Says the Lord of hosts,
"If I will not open for you the windows of heaven
And pour out for you such blessing
That there will not be room enough to receive it.10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,That there may be food in My house,
And try Me now in this,"
Says the Lord of hosts,
That there will not be room enough to receive it.10 Bring all the tithes into the storehouse,That there may be food in My house,
And try Me now in this,"
Says the Lord of hosts,
That there will not be room enough to receive it.

God's material blessing should be a flow...you give...God gives to you and you give more...pretty cool if you ask me...and by the way...I'm not walkin this talk very well...so I confess my faith problems to you and God right now...

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟23,457.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
Charity is tithing in my book. Not a set percentage of how much I earn or have, but rather a cheerful giving attitude. If I have money, I will lend it to somebody. Or put my change in the ronald Mcdonald house box at McDonalds. Charity I am growing in the conviction is more a way of life than a legalistic percentage of money. It in itself has no power to save, however charity is evidence of God in your life.

Support those who work for the Lord. Also support other good works in this world.

Upvote 0

Cubbs

Aug 8, 2003
Visit site
✟15,173.00
Faith
Christian
Great Q! I recently did some studying on this myself. The definition of tithe literally means 1/10 or 10%. So there is no discussion on "how much" a tithe is. It is supposed to go to your home church which support you and vice versa. Offerings-offerings refer to what you give above and beyond your 10% to what you see fit. Now the Q of whether its still relevant. The very fact that you are wondering is a red flag. God is bringing it to your attention. On a practical level, if no one tithes, churches go under financially. Period. Their services, outreaches, etc all will suffer as well. Some people will say its legalistic. Yes it is if you are forcing it upon others. I have tithed here and there for the last five years (more like hardly at all) and when I realized I was disobedient to it, I was crushed because I wounded God's heart in it. He is trying to bring something to pass and here I am blocking it. Whats tithing really about? Its about us giving back to Him what is His AND about God releasing something in us of greatness. Especially in America we want our stuff because its our stuff. Selfishness. Before tax or after tax should we give 10%? Before. Why? Because after tax is about putting government before God. Start it up forgiven! Gman you hit it on! Go to the wall on that promise because its from God. (No it doesnt mean you will become rich. Its about God's plan coming to pass, building character and relationships.)

Upvote 0

fishstix

Senior Veteran
Jan 18, 2004
✟19,629.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Conservatives
forgivenmuch said:
i was talking to a friend..and i was reading in the word about tithing.. can someone tell me if it is required to tithe today.. i know in the new testament that there was more offerings than tithing.. after jesus died and rose again... you really dont hear of tithing much in the bible in the new testament that is.... you hear alot of giving and offerings.. a question i would like more insight on please.. thanks

Required? No. A good thing to do anyway? Yes!

Upvote 0

livin4thebigman

Aug 2, 2004
exton, pa
✟227.00
Faith
Christian
First off, to think that God needs my money in order to do his will is ludicrous. What I mean is that it is ridiculous for me to think for a second that I am doing God a favor by chipping in my $200 or whatever every month.

In regards to tithing, I had the same question you did and did some research on it. In the OT, a tithe was required (because they were under the Law) of the Israelites. In my studies, I have yet to find this requirement stated in the NT. The reason I would then view tithing as not for today, is that, that Law was part of the ritualistic laws in that were implemented by God in the OT. Now, that does not mean that we are not to give to the church. Paul talks about giving in 2 Cor 8:1-15. He uses the Macedonians as an example to the Corinthians in regards to giving, which I feel we should follow their example.

v2-3 says, "...that in their great ordeal of affliction their abundance of joy and their deep poverty overflowed in the wealth of their liberality. For I testify that according to their ability, and beyond their ability, they gave of their own accord..."

I think it imperative to also take into account 2 Cor 9:6-7 which says, " Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

This is all to say that we should be giving to the Church, however I do not see a strict 10% limit imposed on us. This is my conclusion:

"From looking at verses in the Bible, the concept of tithing is limited to the OT (in terms of a requirement.) As with most things in the NT, God's focus is on the heart, so it is with the giving of money to the church. Rather than God giving us a certain percentage (which I've been told could have been closer to 30%) he tells us to give as we see fit. Perhaps this way the focus is not on obeying a command (which is prevalent in the OT) but rather it is on your heart (which is a focus in the NT)"

-matt

Upvote 0

forgivenmuch

christ is the answer
Aug 21, 2004
✟8,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i really liked your input there i totally agree... i do belive in giving to your church.. i dont see tithing in the new testament.. preachers today preach that you dont tithe..you are not in Gods ... i have come to the conclusion that i do not have to tithe.. i give what i can.. and thats all i can give.. i love God.. i was always a tither and gave my 10% for yrs. i had to study and see if tithing was for us today..and its not in the new testament after jesus said..it is finished on the cross... we should give..to those in need and to our church .. i agree with that..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cubbs

Aug 8, 2003
Visit site
✟15,173.00
Faith
Christian
:sigh: I didnt presume for one minute God needs our money. What I am presuming is to search your heart and the heart of God in this matter. Is it just irony that we continue to justify behavior thats in our best interest? And in the same breath I will also say this: Don't be manipulated or feel ashamed into giving or not giving.

*Light Bulb*
Just for fun, why dont you test God with the tithe. See what happens.

Upvote 0
E

EmSchmem

Since when is it our money?

Our church ASKS for what we can give. If you give 5% or more you are on teh Fiscal Support Team which means you get to vote at the beginning of the year on where church money goes. They require 5% for that because giving to support missinaries is totally seprate. As are some of our more specialized programs within the church.

Upvote 0

livin4thebigman

Aug 2, 2004
exton, pa
✟227.00
Faith
Christian
Cubbs, I wasn't directing that comment towards you, I was just stating it as a generality, perhaps I should have specified that.

In regards to testing God with the tithe I have already seen the effects of his blessing despite the fact that I am not giving 10%. The conclusion that I have come to in regards to tithing is that we are not required to give 10% of our income. That does not mean that 10% isn't a good number, I just have yet to find where in the Bible we are commanded. The reason I don't subscribe to the concept of tithing (aside from the fact that it is only specified in regards to the Israelites) is that if I'm giving 10% of my income, then it is just that. I'm just allotting that money in my budget for the church, which I hate. I see tithing as diminishing the effect giving has in that one is living by a law, rather than their heart.

-matt

Upvote 0

forgivenmuch

christ is the answer
Aug 21, 2004
✟8,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
i would hope that one would give from thier heart.. your saying..if you dont tithe to your church ..and you had to have money for a lightbill ... to give to the church first.. i dont beleive that.. i use to.. i give to God in money..and in many other things. but the 10% rule of the old testament jesus never commanded that..he did command to wash each others feet and to do the lords supper.. i dont think that was in the old testament.. we should give what we can.. God loves us the same..if we dont have it to give or we do .. we as believers need to see that .. giving from your heart means much more to God than a tithe.. if i see someone in need i will help that person ..as we should.. im glad that we have churches to go to if one chooses to.. many churches help with alot of peoples needs .. and im thankful of that.. i give what i can..and from my heart.. i feel im doing Gods will and he loves me just the same as when i did when i was titheing my 10% .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Cubbs said:
:sigh: I didnt presume for one minute God needs our money. What I am presuming is to search your heart and the heart of God in this matter. Is it just irony that we continue to justify behavior thats in our best interest? And in the same breath I will also say this: Don't be manipulated or feel ashamed into giving or not giving.

*Light Bulb*
Just for fun, why dont you test God with the tithe. See what happens.
Good post!

Upvote 0