✟137,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They're not canonical.

They were an off shoot of the so-called "Christ of the Hills monastery" that was in Blanco, TX and raided by the police twice in 1999 and 2006. The 2006 raid permanently shut them down. The so-called "abbot" and his "monks" not only produced a fraudulent weeping icon, but were also engaging in activities with young boys that makes the Catholic Church's pedophilia scandal look like a Hallmark movie. The "abbot" eventually killed himself when he was allowed to return home to the "monastery" for health reasons. The rest of the "monks" are still in prison. They were part of ROCOR for the 1990s, but ROCOR kicked them out and shut them down in 1999 once they caught wind of the sexual abuse going on.

A good thing to do before supporting any monastery is to check who their bishop is. This place has none.

Upvote 0

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They're not canonical.

They were an off shoot of the so-called "Christ of the Hills monastery" that was in Blanco, TX and raided by the police twice in 1999 and 2006. The 2006 raid permanently shut them down. The so-called "abbot" and his "monks" not only produced a fraudulent weeping icon, but were also engaging in activities with young boys that makes the Catholic Church's pedophilia scandal look like a Hallmark movie. The "abbot" eventually killed himself when he was allowed to return home to the "monastery" for health reasons. The rest of the "monks" are still in prison. They were part of ROCOR for the 1990s, but ROCOR kicked them out and shut them down in 1999 once they caught wind of the sexual abuse going on.

A good thing to do before supporting any monastery is to check who their bishop is. This place has none.
Thanks for letting me know. Are there any other online icon stores that are trustworthy?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,470,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Trying to get an icon of St Dionysius for my godson who is getting Chrismated in a few weeks.

you might wanna check out a monastery bookstore then. I remember St Tikhon's had all kinds of saints.

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SalemsConcordance

Oct 5, 2020
Westcoast
✟36,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,868.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Thank you for this information. I am surprised and saddened by it. The only indication of their affiliation I can find labels them as independent. I don't think that's a proper condition for any monastery (or really any Orthodox). It is weird to me that so many of these splinter groups seem to offer really good products.

Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0