Is the Sabbath Commandment proof that the TCs are not for Christians?

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
False premise .. The Sabbath was never abolished by Christianity, but by the politics of later generations who were of the Gentile mind. They had well and truly lost the authentic knowledge of the faith at that time (hence the need for ecumenical councils to firmly establish the core tenets for the benefit of future generations .. although they had already got that one wrong .. and we would wonder how! .. humans are notorious for making up their own ideas in God's name).

"Thy sins have hidden His face from thee" - Isaiah 59, why? "The false teachers coming among you would secretly introduce destructive heresies. Many would follow their depraved conduct, and the way of truth will be maligned" - 2 Peter 2:1-2

Can't be. "The root is holy, and you being a wild branch have been grafted into the holy vine" .. "do not be haughty but tremble, for if He did not spare the natural branches when they rebelled, so He will not spare you".

.. it should make you wonder whether you are of the same root, really.. seeing that is the case ("we do not transgress Torah, do we? .. no, but rather we uphold it!").

Again, think on the parable of the olive tree through Romans 11: the Gentiles grafted into Christ are considered Israel for that purpose (Romans 9:6-8).

On these two commandments hang all the law and prophets - so by implication, if we are exercising the two greatest commandments, we will be fulfilling the entire law and prophets: Keep the Sabbath day holy, do no work on it, neither you, your family, your slaves or your animals .. why? "Because in six days did God make the world, and on the seventh He rested" - I am the Lord your God. Therefore: Love the Lord your God, and whenever you did it to the least of these, my brethren, it was me you did it to. Therefore love your neighbour as yourself.

"Baptism saves you, not through the physical purging of filth, but a pledge of a clear conscience toward God".

"He who knows the good he should do and does not do it, to him it is sin".

This is the thing, that we do what we know to be right, but if we are tempted by our desires to do sin instead, then we are no longer residing in Christ, walking in the light, and instead walking in darkness. (John 15).

Observing the law in a legalistic way is a fear-driven exercise, to always be trying to evade condemnation, but observing the law in love is from a heart that has truly inderstood the value of the law and rejoices in doing the good that is produced by living that way.

One is fulfilling the desires of the flesh, the other: the spirit.

No, it said that "this is what you must do in order to enter.. if you do these things, you will do well". Minimum requirements, and "to him who already has, more will be given, having an abundance .. but to him who does not have, even what he does have will be taken away from him".

No, Christianity is Judaism "Those of the Gentiles who were turning to Christ" - Christ is our High Priest: where every priest is prevented from continuing in office on account of his death, we are of an everlasting priesthood. Therefore He is able to save completely those who are coming to God through Him - that is Judaism in the name of Jesus. The antichrist has made it into a very different religion when you begin to look at what churches teach through that lens.

"Let no man judge you for the keeping of days and festivals" - to do so would be to place law "above" us, but when it is administered by the hand of another man. Rather, having our relationship with Christ, it is He who condemns (Romans 8:34).. so that the law is not the thing that we are under, but we are under Christ who judges us according to the law.

That is more about Hebrews 10:4 .. when you read on through Hebrews 10:26-31, it makes very clear that the new covenant does not replace the law, but only the means by which we are sanctified.
Thanks for your post.

What was the timeframe on these historical claims you are making? You said "later generations"? Did you mean after the deaths of the original Apostles, or what exactly? And made reference to "ecumenical councils". The third and fourth centuries?

Interesting to compare the writing dates of the NT canon with the writings of the early church that were not canonized. And compare what they say about Christianity at the time.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for your post.
In a sense you are agreeing with me, you just arrive at a different conclusion.
The Sabbath Commandment is the one that doesn't fit. It tells us something is wrong with the whole set.

The title Ten Commandments is nowhere to be found in the NT. It's that important.

So people compile lists like the one you are offering to "prove" that they are all there. Few take the time to consider why they are there and what they NT is saying about them.

Steven,

The Ten Commandments applied to Israel under the Old Covenant. However, while the 'Ten Commandments' does not appear as a conglomerate whole in the NT, through the NT there are commands for 9 commandments that must not be broken.

Because one of the 10 is obsolete in the NT, does not mean that the other 9 are of no value?

We don't need to have '10 commandments' or '9 commandments' as statements in the NT to make them valid, just as the words Trinity or Bible are not in Scripture but the teachings are.

Oz

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Steven,

The Ten Commandments applied to Israel under the Old Covenant. However, while the 'Ten Commandments' does not appear as a conglomerate whole in the NT, through the NT there are commands for 9 commandments that must not be broken.

Because one of the 10 is obsolete in the NT, does not mean that the other 9 are of no value?

We don't need to have '10 commandments' or '9 commandments' as statements in the NT to make them valid, just as the words Trinity or Bible are not in Scripture but the teachings are.

Oz
Thanks. But consider this.

Most are satisfied to "find" the Ten mentioned somewhere in the NT. I say Ten because many use that figure. (I understand that you don't) And somehow "finding" them confirms their validity. (that they are "still" in force) However, when we study these passages we find something else. Just mentioning them does not give them validity. What is the NT saying about them?

The NT says that we are not under the law. The TCs are part of that law that we are not under. One either accepts the whole package, or rejects the whole package. You can't really pick nine out of the 613 and claim you have this figured out.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for your post.

What was the timeframe on these historical claims you are making? You said "later generations"? Did you mean after the deaths of the original Apostles, or what exactly? And made reference to "ecumenical councils". The third and fourth centuries?

Interesting to compare the writing dates of the NT canon with the writings of the early church that were not canonized. And compare what they say about Christianity at the time.
Yes it is interesting to read the change in the writings according to knowledge, intent and authority.

This is a good article that speaks of Constantine's involvement in the shift from the original faith, and that was around 350-400AD, where the day of Sunday worship came to replace Sabbath rest (see how paganism had subverted Christianity in that way .. James 4:4).

Thus even in the 5th century, Sabbath keeping was universally prevalent (except in Rome and Alexandria) along with Sunday keeping. Many Christians kept both days, but as the centuries wore on, Sunday keeping grew in prominence and especially within Roman Catholic territories.

In 330 A.D., Constantine moved his capital from Rome to Constantinople (modern Istanbul), thus preparing the way for the Roman Catholic Popes to reign in Rome as the successors of Constantine. As the Papal Church grew in power, it opposed Sabbath observance in favour of Sunday sacredness and made the day change official in the Council of Laodicea (A.D. 363-364). Constantine's law had now been fully integrated into the Papal Church and the final step of the Sabbath to Sunday change was complete.

So around the year A.D. 364, the Catholic Church outlawed Sabbath keeping in the Council of Laodicea when they decreed 59 Canon laws. The following is the relevant Canon law: Canon XXIX:Christians must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.

Notice how the speech also is far more antisemitic in comparison to the original Christian speech as Romans 9:1-5, showing how the grace of speech is intrinsically linked to the spirit, a result of belief (hence 2 Peter 2:1-2).

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Archippus

Sep 7, 2018
slough
✟8,363.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the importance of the phrase ''Ten Commamndmemts''?

Is it for Christians not to take the Lords name in vain?
Is it for Christians to honour their parents?
Is it for Christians not to steal?
Is it for Christians not to commit adultery?
Is it for Christians not to murder?
Is it for Christians not to bear false witness?
Is it for Christians not to covet?
Is it for Christians to have no other gods apart from their Father in Heaven?
Is it for Christians not to build graven images?

I would think that is what is important to know. The other commandment can be discussed at length elsewhere

• Prayers
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Messiah, the Apostles, disciples and all the assemblies, such as the Romans, the Galatians, the Ephesians, the Corinthians were ALL Sabbath keepers.

The aforementioned did not go to church on Sunday.

Biblically, “Christians” were Sabbath keepers. Going to church on sundays and ignoring the Sabbath is based out of the Roman Catholic Church, not the Bible.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is interesting to read the change in the writings according to knowledge, intent and authority.

This is a good article that speaks of Constantine's involvement in the shift from the original faith, and that was around 350-400AD, where the day of Sunday worship came to replace Sabbath rest (see how paganism had subverted Christianity in that way .. James 4:4).

Notice how the speech also is far more antisemitic in comparison to the original Christian speech as Romans 9:1-5, showing how the grace of speech is intrinsically linked to the spirit, a result of belief (hence 2 Peter 2:1-2).
Thank you. Here's my point.

The writings of the early church happened in the same timeframe as the canonized NT writings. What do those writings indicate about the NT church of the day? Most people assume that those writings were post-NT. That they were written after the New testament was "closed". Which is a complete misunderstanding of the order of events.

One example is the Didache, also known as The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles. Dated at 50-120 AD. Here is a sampling of the text about the day of worship. (I think the subheading is a modern addition)

Chapter 14. Christian Assembly on the Lord's Day.
But every Lord's day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure. But let no one who is at odds with his fellow come together with you, until they be reconciled, that your sacrifice may not be profaned. For this is that which was spoken by the Lord: "In every place and time offer to me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, says the Lord, and my name is wonderful among the nations."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe threads like this are disingenuous. It appears the OP is looking for validation to justify a personal decision not to keep the Sabbath day holy. Opinions don't matter here. The word of God does not rest upon opinions.

There is no direct word from God which says He no longer requires people to keep the Sabbath day holy. Moreover, all of the writings referred to from Paul which people use to try to support the idea that the Sabbath has been changed or done away with, have been taken out of their historical and cultural contexts.

What I find to be ironic about threads like this is the Sabbath is always the issue. Never the rest of God's 10 commands. And that is what leads me to believe threads like this are disingenuous.

• Agree
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Sabbath was introduced in Exodus chapter sixteen as part of the manna gathering. The Ten Commandments are in Exodus chapter twenty. It's not likely that the Israelites had forgotten about the Sabbath in four chapters. They had been observing it every week as part of their manna gathering. The "remember" does not mean what you are claiming.

Sin before Adam and Eve (transgression of Gods law in heaven - 10 Commandments)

Ezekiel 28:15-16 (talking about Satan here)

15“You were blameless in your ways
From the day you were created
Until unrighteousness was found in you.

16“By the abundance of your trade
You were internally filled with violence,
And you sinned;
Therefore I have cast you as profane
From the mountain of God.
And I have destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the stones of fire.

Sin is and has always been transgression of the law
The law is in Heaven ... else how did Satan sin?

1st John 3:4

Where there is no law there is no transgression

Before Sinai

Cain murdered Able .... how was this known to be wrong (sin transgression thou shalt not murder) if not for the law being known.

Genesis 9:6 - (God speaking to Noah)

6 Whoever sheds the blood of man,
by man his blood will be shed;

Genesis 13:13 …..”The men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly.”

2nd Peter 2:7-8 …..”And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked; for that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds.”

Genesis 15:16 …..”But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again; for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

How could the men of Sodom be wicked and sinners if there was no law in place? And how could the Amorites be guilty of iniquity if there was no law? And for the most clear cut Bible verse, have another look at 2nd Peter 2:7-8 above. It says that the people of Sodom did UNLAWFUL deeds. Now how can someone be UNlawful where there is no law? There had to have been a law in place for the people to obey, and that law was the Ten Commandments.

Genesis 26:5 …..”Because that Abraham obeyed My voice, and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws.”….. What did Abraham do (before Sinai)? He kept GOD’s commandments.

Matthew 5:18

"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Does not say except the 4th commandment that is only for the Jews.

Jesus kept the Sabbath .... all the apostles kept the Sabbath.

Some argue ... Jesus was a Jew .... more importantly, Jesus is God!

John 10:30
I and the Father are one."

John 14

9 Jesus replied, “Philip, I have been with you all this time, and still you do not know Me? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words I say to you, I do not speak on My own. Instead, it is the Father dwelling in Me, performing His works.…

We are called to walk in the footsteps of Jesus.

Where in the Bible does either Jesus or any of the apostles say it is not necessary to keep the 7th day Sabbath? If it was not necessary to keep it ... then why did they keep it?

Even at His death (Jesus) the 7th day Sabbath was kept. If the 7th day Sabbath was nailed to the cross .... why did was the 7th day Sabbath kept even at Jesus' death? Because they were Jews? Were they not followers of Christ .... yes they were and because Jesus kept the Sabbath so did they.

The 7th day Sabbath is different from other "sabbaths" that were kept in regard to ceremonies, ordinances, festivals related to the sacrificial system.

Colossians 2:14

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Christ fulfilled the obligations of the ceremonial law by becoming the Lamb slain for the sins of the world. He fulfilled the obligation of the law of Ten Commandments by His perfect obedience to its precepts. After His death, the law of ceremonies were discontinued (took about 40 years before completely ceasing, but they did) because it foreshadowed the cross, but the law of Ten Commandments did not change, nor was it done away with. The same law (10 Commandments) is still to be found in the New Testament and those who follow Christ.

"For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

All has not yet been accomplished ... the Law stands.

The Law stands ... but because Jesus kept the Law ... through His blood believers in Him will be saved from condemnation of the Law .... that is something quite different than claiming the Law was/is abolished or done away with.

Without the law there would be no knowledge of sin.

When all is done .... those with the Lord will be in perfect harmony with the Law ... the Law does and will stand/exist but the breaking of it (sin) will be gone (we will be changed) with the final outcome being eternal life with God living in perfect harmony with Him and according to and within His Law. We will be given a new nature ... a nature without sin (transgression of the law) and this will be for eternity. AMEN!

Will sabbath be kept in heaven, yes ... all of Gods laws will be kept, naturally.

So, in the meantime, our sin is made known to us (by the law) and with the help of the Holy Spirit He helps us to overcome ... and we stumble at times ... it is a life-long process util all is done.

Upvote 0

Guide To The Bible

Guide To The Bible
Jan 23, 2017
Britain
✟31,977.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a theory that the very presence of the Sabbath commandment in the Ten informs us that the Ten Commandments are not for Christians.

Is the presence of the Sabbath Commandment
proof that the TCs are not for Christians?

The Bible tells us that the Sabbath is a sign between God and the Israelites alone.
That being the case, how could a set of commandments carrying
the Sabbath commandment be for anyone else?

Exodus 31:13
Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

Ezekiel 20:12, 20
Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy. 20 Keep my Sabbaths holy, that they may be a sign between us. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God.”
Jesus kept the Sabbath holy just as he kept all of the 10 commandments. Although Christians are under grace rather than the law it is still our guide as to how to live and as such we are expected to try our best to keep the commandments as Paul also states:

1 Corinthians 9:21

To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe threads like this are disingenuous. It appears the OP is looking for validation to justify a personal decision not to keep the Sabbath day holy. Opinions don't matter here. The word of God does not rest upon opinions.

There is no direct word from God which says He no longer requires people to keep the Sabbath day holy. Moreover, all of the writings referred to from Paul which people use to try to support the idea that the Sabbath has been changed or done away with, have been taken out of their historical and cultural contexts.

What I find to be ironic about threads like this is the Sabbath is always the issue. Never the rest of God's 10 commands. And that is what leads me to believe threads like this are disingenuous.
Disingenuous?
What about your supposed "biblical" claim that the Sabbath that God gave to the Israelites alone is for all of humanity? Prove it.

John 1:17
For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus kept the Sabbath holy just as he kept all of the 10 commandments. Although Christians are under grace rather than the law it is still our guide as to how to live and as such we are expected to try our best to keep the commandments as Paul also states:

To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.
Expected to try our best? How do you measure that?

Could you have tried harder? (of course) Was that enough to save you? (probably not) How hard do you have to try? (who could say?) Did you try hard enough? (how much is enough?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sin before Adam and Eve (transgression of Gods law in heaven - 10 Commandments)

Ezekiel 28:15-16 (talking about Satan here)

15“You were blameless in your ways
From the day you were created
Until unrighteousness was found in you.

16“By the abundance of your trade
You were internally filled with violence,
And you sinned;
Therefore I have cast you as profane
From the mountain of God.
And I have destroyed you, O covering cherub,
From the midst of the stones of fire.

Sin is and has always been transgression of the law
The law is in Heaven ... else how did Satan sin?

1st John 3:4

Where there is no law there is no transgression

Before Sinai

Cain murdered Able .... how was this known to be wrong (sin transgression thou shalt not murder) if not for the law being known.

Genesis 9:6 - (God speaking to Noah)

6 Whoever sheds the blood of man,
by man his blood will be shed;

Genesis 13:13 …..”The men of Sodom were wicked and sinners before the Lord exceedingly.”

2nd Peter 2:7-8 …..”And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked; for that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds.”

Genesis 15:16 …..”But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again; for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.

How could the men of Sodom be wicked and sinners if there was no law in place? And how could the Amorites be guilty of iniquity if there was no law? And for the most clear cut Bible verse, have another look at 2nd Peter 2:7-8 above. It says that the people of Sodom did UNLAWFUL deeds. Now how can someone be UNlawful where there is no law? There had to have been a law in place for the people to obey, and that law was the Ten Commandments.

Genesis 26:5 …..”Because that Abraham obeyed My voice, and kept My charge, My commandments, My statutes and My laws.”….. What did Abraham do (before Sinai)? He kept GOD’s commandments.

Does not say except the 4th commandment that is only for the Jews.

Jesus kept the Sabbath .... all the apostles kept the Sabbath.

Some argue ... Jesus was a Jew .... more importantly, Jesus is God!

John 10:30
I and the Father are one."

John 14

9 Jesus replied, “Philip, I have been with you all this time, and still you do not know Me? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me? The words I say to you, I do not speak on My own. Instead, it is the Father dwelling in Me, performing His works.…

We are called to walk in the footsteps of Jesus.

Where in the Bible does either Jesus or any of the apostles say it is not necessary to keep the 7th day Sabbath? If it was not necessary to keep it ... then why did they keep it?

Even at His death (Jesus) the 7th day Sabbath was kept. If the 7th day Sabbath was nailed to the cross .... why did was the 7th day Sabbath kept even at Jesus' death? Because they were Jews? Were they not followers of Christ .... yes they were and because Jesus kept the Sabbath so did they.

The 7th day Sabbath is different from other "sabbaths" that were kept in regard to ceremonies, ordinances, festivals related to the sacrificial system.

Colossians 2:14

Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Christ fulfilled the obligations of the ceremonial law by becoming the Lamb slain for the sins of the world. He fulfilled the obligation of the law of Ten Commandments by His perfect obedience to its precepts. After His death, the law of ceremonies were discontinued (took about 40 years before completely ceasing, but they did) because it foreshadowed the cross, but the law of Ten Commandments did not change, nor was it done away with. The same law (10 Commandments) is still to be found in the New Testament and those who follow Christ.

All has not yet been accomplished ... the Law stands.

The Law stands ... but because Jesus kept the Law ... through His blood believers in Him will be saved from condemnation of the Law .... that is something quite different than claiming the Law was/is abolished or done away with.

Without the law there would be no knowledge of sin.

When all is done .... those with the Lord will be in perfect harmony with the Law ... the Law does and will stand/exist but the breaking of it (sin) will be gone (we will be changed) with the final outcome being eternal life with God living in perfect harmony with Him and according to and within His Law. We will be given a new nature ... a nature without sin (transgression of the law) and this will be for eternity. AMEN!

Will sabbath be kept in heaven, yes ... all of Gods laws will be kept, naturally.

So, in the meantime, our sin is made known to us (by the law) and with the help of the Holy Spirit He helps us to overcome ... and we stumble at times ... it is a life-long process util all is done.
Are you claiming that the Ten Commandments define sin?

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Disingenuous?
What about your supposed "biblical" claim that the Sabbath that God gave to the Israelites alone is for all of humanity? Prove it.

John 1:17
For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
Looks like I hit a nerve. Interesting.

Show me one verse where God said keeping the Sabbath day holy is only for the Jews. You won't find one. You are reading meaning into the Bible that isn't there, and looking for validation to justify your disobedience to God's command.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There are three laws mentioned in that scripture.
- the law (which Paul says he is not under)
- God's law (which he says he is not free from)
- Christ's law (which he says he is under)

Upvote 0

ThatCanadianDude_88

May 25, 2018
Montreal
✟11,530.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your post. What do you make of this?

2 Corinthians 3:6-11
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

It's important to note the distinction Paul is making. He is talking about the law apart from Christ to clearly define the law's purpose. Prior to Christ, the law brought death - in that it revealed the righteousness of God and condemned the sinfulness of man, ultimately making known to Him the need for salvation from God. Yet Paul still calls it glorious - because before the righteousness of God can be produced in us, it first needs to be made known. Paul talked a lot on this topic in the NT scriptures.

But that is the main point I would say of this passage, to understand that the context is the nature of the law and its purpose. It is the tutor that leads us to Christ, and by being in Christ, we are able to fulfill the law through the ministry of the Spirit. We are totally dependant on the Lord, this is exactly why Paul tells us, "it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me." This is exactly just that, the ministry of the Spirit.

It is not to say that because the law brings death, we shouldn't have anything to do with it. The law brings death apart from Christ.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks like I hit a nerve. Interesting.

Show me one verse where God said keeping the Sabbath day holy is only for the Jews. You won't find one. You are reading meaning into the Bible that isn't there, and looking for validation to justify your disobedience to God's command.
The question goes the other way as well.
Show me one verse where God said keeping the Sabbath day holy is for everyone.

Exodus 31:13
Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

Ezekiel 20:12, 20
Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy. 20 Keep my Sabbaths holy, that they may be a sign between us. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God.”

Upvote 0