Is the Sabbath Commandment proof that the TCs are not for Christians?

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fulfilled does not mean eliminated.
It means completed, finished, having done what it was created for. Eliminated? No it is still.history. Saturday still happens. We just picked another day to gather for worship. The day Jesus rose.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Listen to you.

The Bible says that the Sabbath is a sign between God and the Israelites alone.
Perhaps the preconception is to assume the Jewish Sabbath is for Christians.

no ... he says to remember the Sabbath ..... remember something that is already there ... and it was there before there were any jews ... the 7th day

Do you believe all of the 10 commandments are entirely for the Jews?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟713,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not before Exodus chapter sixteen.

That is only one of the definitions of "remember". Another is to observe.
Did you really think they would forget?

Forget what? Observe what? something that was already in place.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
no ... he says to remember the Sabbath ..... remember something that is already there ... and it was there before there were any jews ... the 7th day

Do you believe all of the 10 commandments are entirely for the Jews?
I don't think you can split the TCs up and send some this way and some that way. They are a singular thing. And are a subset of the whole law, know as simply "the law".

I see three types of law generally. (there are more)
- the law (the old covenant law God gave to the Israelites through Moses, including the TCs)
- God's law (the law of conscience given to all humanity)
- Christ's law (the commands of Christ under the new covenant)

1 Corinthians 9:21
To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forget what? Observe what? something that was already in place.
Did you think the Israelites forgot about the Sabbath four chapters after it was given to them in Exodus chapter sixteen? I would assume they had been keeping it on a weekly basis. They were still eating manna when the TCs were given, right?

Joshua 5:12
The manna stopped the day after they ate this food from the land; there was no longer any manna for the Israelites, but that year they ate the produce of Canaan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatCanadianDude_88

May 25, 2018
Montreal
✟11,530.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have a theory that the very presence of the Sabbath commandment in the Ten informs us that the Ten Commandments are not for Christians.

Is the presence of the Sabbath Commandment
proof that the TCs are not for Christians?

The Bible tells us that the Sabbath is a sign between God and the Israelites alone.
That being the case, how could a set of commandments carrying
the Sabbath commandment be for anyone else?

Exodus 31:13
Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

Ezekiel 20:12, 20
Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy. 20 Keep my Sabbaths holy, that they may be a sign between us. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God.”

Hello

As followers of Christ, we are to keep His commandments. The work of God is to believe in He whom God sent.

Two commandments the Lord gave us: Love the Lord your God with your all and your neighbour as yourself, for on these two hang all the law and the prophets. Meaning, the TCs are contained within the teachings of Christ, and by being a true born again believer in Christ, we are keeping the TCs by keeping Christ. This is why it is misplaced to think that the TCs are not for Christians.

Something important to note: of the things the council at Jerusalem decided upon regarding the Gentiles, Sabbath observance is not found among them (Acts 15). The NT scriptures gives no commands to observe the Sabbath nor are there any warnings for breaking it, all this essentially means that Sabbath keeping has become a non-issue following the establishment of the early church.

However, it is true that out of the 10, the Sabbath commandment has a unique position. There is no need for theories or speculations, just let the Scriptures speak for themselves. The Sabbath was meant to be a constant sign (as you mention) of the promise of the Lord's covenant with His people and the eternal respite the faithful and obedient have in Him. The signs point the way, but once you arrive at the destination, there are no more need for signs - for you have arrived.

Christ is the destination and for those who are in Him, every day is a "Sabbath", even unto eternity.

Matthew 11:28-30 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello

As followers of Christ, we are to keep His commandments. The work of God is to believe in He whom God sent.

Two commandments the Lord gave us: Love the Lord your God with your all and your neighbour as yourself, for on these two hang all the law and the prophets. Meaning, the TCs are contained within the teachings of Christ, and by being a true born again believer in Christ, we are keeping the TCs by keeping Christ. This is why it is misplaced to think that the TCs are not for Christians.

Something important to note: of the things the council at Jerusalem decided upon regarding the Gentiles, Sabbath observance is not found among them (Acts 15). The NT scriptures gives no commands to observe the Sabbath nor are there any warnings for breaking it, all this essentially means that Sabbath keeping has become a non-issue following the establishment of the early church.

However, it is true that out of the 10, the Sabbath commandment has a unique position. There is no need for theories or speculations, just let the Scriptures speak for themselves. The Sabbath was meant to be a constant sign (as you mention) of the promise of the Lord's covenant with His people and the eternal respite the faithful and obedient have in Him. The signs point the way, but once you arrive at the destination, there are no more need for signs - for you have arrived.

Christ is the destination and for those who are in Him, every day is a "Sabbath", even unto eternity.

Matthew 11:28-30 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Thanks for your post. What do you make of this?

2 Corinthians 3:6-11
He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. 7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟169,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Thanks for your reply.
Where did Jesus tell us to keep THE Commandments?
Some of them? (pick the ones you like and ignore the rest?)
What do you mean by "a less legalistic way?" ??
When talking to the rich young man, Jesus said that if he would have eternal life, he must keep the commandments (then lists the ones that refer strictly to our relations with one another, rather than God- but would Jesus have us only treat our neighbors well?)/

And by "less legalistically", I mean that the Jews prohibited people from walking more than a certain distance on the Sabbath, or healing afflictions, but Jesus essentially said that this is not how you keep the Sabbath, not that we shouldn't "keep" it at all.

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't later revelation by the Lord through Paul take precedence over what He said while on the Earth confirming the promises to the Fathers?

Rom. 15:8 Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:

In fact, since the Law was a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ should we then follow the higher road of grace that does not put us under Law. Instead of considering commandments, we should consider how through grace we can offer up our life as a sacrifice to testify of His salvation of lost sinners?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a theory that the very presence of the Sabbath commandment in the Ten informs us that the Ten Commandments are not for Christians.
False premise .. The Sabbath was never abolished by Christianity, but by the politics of later generations who were of the Gentile mind. They had well and truly lost the authentic knowledge of the faith at that time (hence the need for ecumenical councils to firmly establish the core tenets for the benefit of future generations .. although they had already got that one wrong .. and we would wonder how! .. humans are notorious for making up their own ideas in God's name).

"Thy sins have hidden His face from thee" - Isaiah 59, why? "The false teachers coming among you would secretly introduce destructive heresies. Many would follow their depraved conduct, and the way of truth will be maligned" - 2 Peter 2:1-2
Can't be. "The root is holy, and you being a wild branch have been grafted into the holy vine" .. "do not be haughty but tremble, for if He did not spare the natural branches when they rebelled, so He will not spare you".

.. it should make you wonder whether you are of the same root, really.. seeing that is the case ("we do not transgress Torah, do we? .. no, but rather we uphold it!").
The Bible tells us that the Sabbath is a sign between God and the Israelites alone.
Again, think on the parable of the olive tree through Romans 11: the Gentiles grafted into Christ are considered Israel for that purpose (Romans 9:6-8).

Thanks for your reply.
Where did Jesus tell us to keep THE Commandments?
On these two commandments hang all the law and prophets - so by implication, if we are exercising the two greatest commandments, we will be fulfilling the entire law and prophets: Keep the Sabbath day holy, do no work on it, neither you, your family, your slaves or your animals .. why? "Because in six days did God make the world, and on the seventh He rested" - I am the Lord your God. Therefore: Love the Lord your God, and whenever you did it to the least of these, my brethren, it was me you did it to. Therefore love your neighbour as yourself.
Some of them? (pick the ones you like and ignore the rest?)
What do you mean by "a less legalistic way?" ??
"Baptism saves you, not through the physical purging of filth, but a pledge of a clear conscience toward God".

"He who knows the good he should do and does not do it, to him it is sin".

This is the thing, that we do what we know to be right, but if we are tempted by our desires to do sin instead, then we are no longer residing in Christ, walking in the light, and instead walking in darkness. (John 15).

Observing the law in a legalistic way is a fear-driven exercise, to always be trying to evade condemnation, but observing the law in love is from a heart that has truly inderstood the value of the law and rejoices in doing the good that is produced by living that way.

One is fulfilling the desires of the flesh, the other: the spirit.

Thanks.
How would that help?
Didn't the Jerusalem Council set us free from the law? (including the TCs)

No, it said that "this is what you must do in order to enter.. if you do these things, you will do well". Minimum requirements, and "to him who already has, more will be given, having an abundance .. but to him who does not have, even what he does have will be taken away from him".
The Bible says that the Sabbath is a sign between God and the Israelites alone.
Perhaps the preconception is to assume the Jewish Sabbath is for Christians.
No, Christianity is Judaism "Those of the Gentiles who were turning to Christ" - Christ is our High Priest: where every priest is prevented from continuing in office on account of his death, we are of an everlasting priesthood. Therefore He is able to save completely those who are coming to God through Him - that is Judaism in the name of Jesus. The antichrist has made it into a very different religion when you begin to look at what churches teach through that lens.

Are you claiming that we are under the law?
"Let no man judge you for the keeping of days and festivals" - to do so would be to place law "above" us, but when it is administered by the hand of another man. Rather, having our relationship with Christ, it is He who condemns (Romans 8:34).. so that the law is not the thing that we are under, but we are under Christ who judges us according to the law.
How about obsolete?

Hebrews 8:13
By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

That is more about Hebrews 10:4 .. when you read on through Hebrews 10:26-31, it makes very clear that the new covenant does not replace the law, but only the means by which we are sanctified.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy. 20 Keep my Sabbaths holy, that they may be a sign between us. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God.”
We are still bound to obey the commandment regarding the sabbath. Jesus simply clarified it for us.

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

mreeed

shalom...
Oct 2, 2014
✟76,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

How many of the other TCs were included at the Jerusalem Council? Does that mean these had no relevance either? Note the implication however in verse 21 that the gentiles were invited to learn more once turning to Christ, in the synagogues on the Sabbath. The other explicit requirements of Acts 15 were regarding salvation / acceptance in the fellowship of the brethren.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is the first appearance of the word "Sabbath" in the Bible.

Exodus 16:23
He said to them, “This is what the Lord commanded: ‘Tomorrow is to be a day of sabbath rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord. So bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil. Save whatever is left and keep it until morning.’”

Ex 16:23 is an example of the first use of the word Sabbath as a noun. the word however first appears exactly where we expect it in Ge 2:2,3 (as a verb). Ex 12 is the first time we actually see the day being observed by men. Ex 5 arguably is even an earlier reference and implicit in that reference is the post-burning bush dialog between Moses and Israel/Pharaoh and possibly the burning bush event itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

“Say to the Israelites, ‘You must observe my Sabbaths. This will be a sign between me and you for the generations to come, so you may know that I am the Lord, who makes you holy.

Also I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us, so they would know that I the Lord made them holy. … 20 Keep my Sabbaths holy, that they may be a sign between us. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God.”

the 10 commandments are specific for the Jews but this does not mean the Sabbath is specific for the Jews, as Jesus said that the Sabbath was created for men but he did not say the Sabbath was created for the Jews only.

The Sabbath clearly has it's foundation before the law and upon the event of creation itself, the Jewish law for the sabbath then has its own event but the law did not establish the day it only established how to obverse the day for the Jews.

There is a concept of the law of God which is unchanging and the 10 commandments reflects the law of God but they are for a specific context and not for us. "God's law" isn't really a law like a bunch of do's and don'ts but more describes the order of God. As Christians we still value the Sabbath but we don't follow the 10 commandments to do so because the 10 commandments are not for us, but the Sabbath still is. In the same way we also do not murder, steal or worship other gods not because the 10 commandments tells us not to do them but because we keep the law of Christ. So, we observe the law of God or the order of God how it has been revealed to us not how it has been revealed to the Jews.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single

The Moral law has been written on the fleshy tables of our hearts
2 Cor 3:2-6
2 Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

This is after the promise he would write his law within us, inside our hearts.
Jeremiah 31:33-34
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Hebrews 10:16
16This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

The Ten commandments were placed inside the ark of the Covenant written in stone by the finger of God Twice (Deuteronomy 10:2-5;Exodus 25:16; Exodus 31:16-18; Exodus 34:1) showing that they would stand for eternity. Where as the Mosaic law was only place on the side of the Ark(Deut 31:26) showing it would only stand for a time.

Each of the ten commandments are shown within the New Testament spoken of either by Christ or the Apostles. The keeping of the Sabbath day is no exception.
4th Commandment(Keep the Sabbath day to sanctify it)
In the Old Testament: Exodus 20:8-11,
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Deut 5:12-15

All of the Apostles kept the sabbath day holy and sacred.Acts 13:14, Acts 13:42-44, Acts 15:21, Acts 16:13, Acts 17:1-3, Acts 18:4

The Apostle Paul has said that the day of rest given by YHWH still remains:

Hebrews 4:1-12
Paul tells us to fear if the Promise of rest were to have left us:
1. Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

The Gospel did not profit them who heard but did not have faith:
2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

We who believe enter into rest as we were commanded to by God when he swore in his wrath Hallowing the sabbath day that we should enter into the rest set by him(after he had finished the works from the foundation of the world):
3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

That is why he spoke in a certain place(the Moral law) on this matter, showing that even he did rest on this Seventh day sanctifying it as a everlasting sign and covenant between us:
4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

And we are told again to continue to enter into his rest(keep the Sabbath day) to receive his promise:
5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Seeing this, we know it remains(the Sabbath day remains) that some must enter therein(those of faith/belief). But to those to whom it was first given did not keep it because of their unbelief.
6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

When the Lord spoke to David he again limited a certain day(to David was again given the seventh day rest):
7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

If Jesus had come to give us another day of rest(another Sabbath) then would he not have spoken of another day? Christ never mentioned another day for Sabbath worship. No it cannot be found anywhere in the New Testament:
8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

Because no other day was given by Christ or YHWH there remains a rest to the people of God. The same Sabbath day rest shown and spoken of since the beginning of the bible, being shown all the way into the new heavens and the New earth.
9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

Those that enter into God's rest(seventh day Sabbath) cease from their own works, after the example of God himself ceasing from his.
10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

We are to labour to enter into that same rest(same Sabbath day) lest we fall away from God as those others did from unbelief.
11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Those who keep his Sabbath day(Saturday) are counted worthy of entering his Holy mountain in the last days.
Isaiah 56:1-12

The promise was indeed a perpetual covenant to show that those who kept it were sanctified by the Lord.
Exodus 31:13-18
13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you.

14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

17 It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

The sabbath was given as a perpetual covenant for sanctification and promise to those who kept it holy. So when the kingdom and promise was taken from the OT Jews and given to us(Matt 21:43; Romans 10:19,20; Acts 28:25-28) who are made Jews after the Circumcision of the heart and spirit(Romans 2:28-29; Acts 15:7-9; Romans 10:8; Colossians 2:11-13; Philippians 3:3) it was given to us(who are the new Jews) being written in the fleshy tables of our hearts.

If Christ who is lord of the Sabbath day(Matt 10:1-8; Mark 2:25-28;Luke 6:1-10) had come to give another day of rest to us(or came to take it away all together), wouldn't he have told us we have another day of worship(or that it was finished/done away with)? Wouldn't he have mentioned that the Sabbath day was to be changed? All he told us was that the traditions of men added to the Sabbath were done(Luke 14:1-6) the same traditions spoken of by YHWH(Ez 20:13,16,18-21,24), that it was lawful to do the Lords work on the Sabbath as well as do what we need to do(things that may or may not pertain to Godly work such as getting an animal out of a ditch/pit).

Nowhere is the Sabbath day said to be completed or done away with. In fact the seventh day Sabbath is kept in the New Earth Isaiah 66:23 just as it was kept in beginning, Genesis 2:2.

The very fact that it is said to be kept in the New Heavens and New earth should clue us in to the fact that it still remains.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks.
How would that help?
Didn't the Jerusalem Council set us free from the law?

It evidently didn't set us free from the things in the following scripture. I mean if we were set free from the law in the sense you seem to be defining it, why are we clearly not allowed to do the following....something doesn't mesh.

1 Cor 6:9-10 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor homosexual offenders, nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were.

I know people love to sin but for someone to go so far as to try to abolish the 10 Commandments...Isn't that a dead giveaway as to what they are really trying to accomplish?

Mark 2:27-28
Then he said to them, "The Sabbath (7th day Sabbath) was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.

Didn't that verse follow some people going too far with the sabbath/adding ridiculous, heavy handed rules? I have no idea how that comment by Christ can be stretchered to mean the Sabbath should not be kept. The Sabbath was made for man, and not vice versa..don't make it's rules so tight that is causes man grief, that defeats the purpose of the whole thing. Says nothing about dumping it altogether...nothing at all.

Upvote 0

sea5763

May 9, 2018
California
✟59,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What do you think the Bible means in Colossians 2:12-23 when it says let no one judge you according to meat and drink and the sabbath and holy days? It says that they are a shadow of things to come but the body is of Christ? In Acts 15:1-21 Paul talks about how no one not their ancestors could keep the law so why put a yoke around the neck of the Gentile believers. Acts 15:11-12 talk about the law specifically and I’m pretty sure it is referencing all the laws in the Old Testament then the Bible says they will be saved by grace and Jesus Christ. But Jesus said he didn’t come to change the law. Personally I’m not sure what to make of the two passages I read above and Jesus saying he didn’t come to abolish the law. I’m not sure what to make of the Sabbath. I try to take roughly about one day off for every week but I don’t always do it always one day every week. I often go stretches of time not taking one day off and then during holidays I do nothing. So I make a half hearted attempt at it. But seriously following all 600 laws is impossible. Where do you draw the line? In a way Jesus made it more intense by basically saying that’s not good enough if you even feel hate or lust you have sinned. But then Paul says the same thing that neither our fathers nor us have been able to follow the old law and we are saved by grace and Jesus Christ. Obviously we are to follow the two laws Jesus gave us, but I can’t definitively say yes or no on the sabbath. Honestly I’m confused

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not before Exodus chapter sixteen.

That is only one of the definitions of "remember". Another is to observe.
Did you really think they would forget?
When I was 18 I worked during the summer doing moving and storage loading and unloading moving vans. I carried boxes, furniture, appliances, even baby grand or upright pianos. By the time I got home on Friday night all I wanted to do was eat, shower and sleep. When I woke up the next morning, sometimes my hands were so stiff I had to work my hands back and forth to try to rid myself of the stiffness. I ate and rested all day, my sore muscles recovering. By Monday I was ready to start again.

Mark 2:27 (WEB) He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."

I have not been doing much physical labor these days and may do chores any day of the week. I do not need everyone around me to stop working like they try to do in Israel, but to each his own. Israel starts to shut down after noon on Friday to prepare for the Sabbath. It remains shutdown until Sunday morning. At least they get one day of rest. It gets bad if someone starts throwing stones at people who work on Saturday like it is commanded in the law. I break the law of Moses by not stoning people who work on Saturday (Exodus 31:14, Numbers 15:32-36). My faith or belief is that murder is wrong. I work or rest as I choose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Childofgodharrison

Aug 27, 2018
Abilene
✟34,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The ten commandments are for sinners. Without the ten commandments people could do anything and say that it is not considered a sin. But after we are born again, the laws are written in our hearts. We know what is sin and what is not.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

According to the Words of Jesus If we LOVE him we need to keep the Sabbath as he instructed us to do.
John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.
Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Jesus spoke the ten commandments as well as wrote them with his own finger.

Based on the following scripture I think that the Lord is very specific about the His Sabbath as it will be an institution in Heaven
Isaiah 66:22-24 King James Version (KJV)
22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain.

23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.

24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Matthew 15:9
But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Jesus =Sabbath Doctrine
Man = Sunday Doctrine

Your choice
Joshua 24:15 King James Version (KJV)

15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0