Is the Sabbath Commandment proof that the TCs are not for Christians?

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any proof that any human didn't observe the Sabbath before Exodus chapter sixteen?

To sanctify is to literally "set apart for particular use in a special purpose or work and to make holy or sacred."

set apart from what? from all other days - the 7th day Sabbath is the Lord's day - He created it and He is Lord over it. Again "remember the Sabbath" .... it was/is a reminder .. by who ... by God
But for who? Was it not for the Jews? I am quite sure that is what scripture says.
So, are you Jewish?

Upvote 0

Dan the deacon

Jul 10, 2018
Perry
✟28,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your reply.
How could the TCs be for us if the Sabbath is not?
It could not. The Ten have been fulfilled. Not that anyone ever kept them. To us they are a teacher. Not that we must obey them but a reminder that we Can't (or won't). As I am not Jewish they were not written to me in the first place.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Bible tells us that the Sabbath is a sign between God and the Israelites alone.
Which scripture are you going by, for this? I do know the LORD says the Sabbath is a sign, but I do not recall the LORD saying it is a sign only for Israel.

The Bible says that the Sabbath is a sign between God and the Israelites alone.
"One law shall be for the native-born and for the stranger who dwells among you.'" (Exodus 12:49)

Jesus is the Sabbath..
Jesus came to fulfill the law, not only to do away with it. And Jesus is the fulfillment of the law. Plus, Jesus gives us true rest > Matthew 11:28-30; He says come to Him and learn from Him, "and you will find rest for your souls." (in Matthew 11:28-30)

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus told us to love God above all and to love our neighbor as ourself. He said in doing thos we would keep the commandments. I note He said nothong of Saturday. The Sabbath was made for man and not visa versa. It was for rest. Some time later man made it for worship. Do you really rest in worship? I know I don't.
We (the Church) have been acused of changing the day of rest. Have we really? If so isn't it ours to change? I agree we changed the day of worship. But that was not a commamd. It is just the day we have chosen to gather.
Thanks for your reply.
The Sabbath was given to the Israelites alone. That's why God said it was a sign between Him and them.

Since the Sabbath was never for gentiles we could not have changed the Sabbath to Sunday. In the forth century the church changed the day of rest to the Lord's Day. (Sunday) See Council of Laodicea, Canon 29

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any proof that any human didn't observe the Sabbath before Exodus chapter sixteen?

To sanctify is to literally "set apart for particular use in a special purpose or work and to make holy or sacred."

set apart from what? from all other days - the 7th day Sabbath is the Lord's day - He created it and He is Lord over it. Again "remember the Sabbath" .... it was/is a reminder .. by who ... by God
Yes. The Sabbath was introduced in Exodus chapter sixteen.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which scripture are you going by, for this? I do know the LORD says the Sabbath is a sign, but I do not recall the LORD saying it is a sign only for Israel.
Did you read the OP? (it's there)

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nowhere before Exodus chapter 16
do we find any biblical evidence of any human:

- observing the sabbath.
- preparing for the sabbath.
- adjusting their plans to account for the sabbath.
- teaching anyone else to observe the sabbath.
- extolling the virtues of the sabbath.
- being criticized for not observing the sabbath.

Please dispute these facts with concrete biblical evidence.

• Useful
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the first appearance of the word "Sabbath" in the Bible.

Exodus 16:23
He said to them, “This is what the Lord commanded: ‘Tomorrow is to be a day of sabbath rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord. So bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil. Save whatever is left and keep it until morning.’”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
None of those passages say anything specifically about the Ten Commandments.
IT is speaking of all 613 commands in Torah, including all of the ten.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you claiming that we are under the law?
Unless you were born Jewish or did a formal conversion to Judaism, no.

BUT: James invites the Gentile believers to go to the synagogues and learn Moses, (the law) and are welcome to participate.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fulfilled does not mean eliminated.
How about obsolete?

Hebrews 8:13
By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

• Agree
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus came to fulfill the law. And in Matt 5-7 we get a glimpse of what it meant to do so. It is not an adherence to the letter of the law, but to the heart and spirit of God's will for us in daily life. Because we as humans are the way we are (in Paul's words, slaves) we like to know what we MAY NOT do. So seven of the 10 commandments are prohibitions. Jesus makes us realise that "not stealing" is not the equivalent of "be generous." Not being bad is not the same as being good.

His take is that the whole law (and prophets) is summarised in Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your mind and with all your strength, and Love your neighbour as yourself. These are such vastly open commands, that they truly set us free FOR something (rather than FROM something). As to the keeping of the sabbath, Jesus "destroyed the temple" as the centre of worship, and sanctified the daily meal of "bread and wine" so that EVERY DAY becomes as holy as the old sabbath. Paul tells us in Romans 12:1 "I appeal to you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship." Put this alongside Jesus' own admonition: "If any one will come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me!" and for me every day is a holy day. "This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24)

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is the first appearance of the word "Sabbath" in the Bible.

Exodus 16:23
He said to them, “This is what the Lord commanded: ‘Tomorrow is to be a day of sabbath rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord. So bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil. Save whatever is left and keep it until morning.’”

Perhaps the word "sabbath" don't appear before ..... but before it is referred to the 7th day which is the Sabbath day.

"Remember the Sabbath..."

remember - have in or be able to bring to one's mind an awareness of (someone or something that one has seen, known, or experienced in the past).

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Every day belongs to the Lord. The Sabbath was not created for God but for man. God lnew we (not God) needed a day for rest from our work. I know the SDAs wosh to make this about the day we worship.but that was not the reason God made it. He made it for our rest. Worship is not rest. Unless you attend a dead Church.

Dead Church?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the word "sabbath" don't appear before ..... but before it is referred to the 7th day which is the Sabbath day.

"Remember the Sabbath..."

remember - have in or be able to bring to one's mind an awareness of (someone or something that one has seen, known, or experienced in the past).
Not before Exodus chapter sixteen.

That is only one of the definitions of "remember". Another is to observe.
Did you really think they would forget?

Upvote 0