Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This kind of thing tends to depend a lot on how you define the question.

Very good point, and those that choose to make Christians look bad will see the question in a way that allows them to come up with the result that works for them...one that makes Christianity look bad.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The evidence seems to be that being a conservative/fundamentalist Protestant doesn't bullet-proof your marriage. In fact it seems to be the case there is no real difference in divorce rates.

This was not a debate on bullet proofing anything.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This was not a debate on bullet proofing anything.

You seem to suggest the conservative/fundamentalist Protestant magisterium has a market cornered on family values, which would seem to entail a family that can stay together for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, etc. Yet, the evidence does not seem to support that notion.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where in the bible does it say that you can't have sex before marriage?
  • Acts 15:20
  • 1 Corinthians 5:1
  • 1 Corinthians 6:13
  • 1 Corinthians 6:18
  • 1 Corinthians 7:2
  • 1 Corinthians 10:8
  • 2 Corinthians 12:21
  • Galatians 5:19
  • Ephesians 5:3
  • Colossians 3:5
  • 1 Thessalonians 4:3
  • Hebrews 13:4
  • Jude 7
Why is it important?
Sex, biblically speaking, is intended to be a physical union between a husband and his wife with the goal of reproduction, and/or physical pleasure, and/or emotional closeness. Biblically speaking, though, the determining factor in whether sex is sinful is the question "with whom?", not "why?" Nowhere does the Bible speak against sex between a husband and his wife. Everywhere sex outside of marriage is mentioned, the Bible condemns it. Sex outside of marriage is a perversion. It does not matter when, with whom, or why; sex between anyone other than a husband and his wife is a perversion of sex. Therefore, premarital sex is a perversion, and condemned every time the Bible condemns inappropriate contenteia.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You seem to suggest the conservative/fundamentalist Protestant magisterium has a market cornered on family values, which would seem to entail a family that can stay together for better or for worse, in sickness and in health, etc. Yet, the evidence does not seem to support that notion.

Man, you are all over the place now, lol.

Upvote 0

Natsumi Lam

Preparer of the Bride
Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2015
✟120,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Where in the bible does it say that you can't have sex before marriage? And if there is a verse on this topic, why is it so important? How do couples manage to abstain from sex for years before getting married - it seems weird in this day in age. For example, if I saw a couple I would automatically assume that they are intimate with each other.
Do you not make the same assumptions?

Do not awake passion before its time.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You can't believe it because in both the case i mentioned, I said marriage must take place in one form or another.

Do you not know that common law marriage is acceptable by some governments?

10 States, and DC fully recognize Common law marriage, five additional states partially recognize it, and certain stipulations apply.

The amount of time required for recognition varies.
However, the amount of time you are living together prior to being recognized as a Common Law Couple, providing the couple are intimate, is pure, and simple, straight up fornication, and nothing else.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
10 States, and DC fully recognize Common law marriage, five additional states partially recognize it, and certain stipulations apply.

The amount of time required for recognition varies.
However, the amount of time you are living together prior to being recognized as a Common Law Couple, providing the couple are intimate, is pure, and simple, straight up fornication, and nothing else.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

What?

You jumped the track completely, the subject we were discussing was, is a conventional marriage the only way.

If one is going to fornicate, they will do it, regardless the type marriage. IOW, you do realize they can fornicate/"live together" even before a conventional marriage takes place. See, this is one of those cases where you are going to twist things around instead of just admitting you were wrong. Man up and admit it, it's not that tough.

• Agree
Reactions: Silverback
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What?

You jumped the track completely, the subject we were discussing was, is a conventional marriage the only way.

If one is going to fornicate, they will do it, regardless the type marriage. IOW, you do realize they can fornicate/"live together" even before a conventional marriage takes place. See, this is one of those cases where you are going to twist things around instead of just admitting you were wrong. Man up and admit it, it's not that tough.

Nope, I am right, people should not have sex outside of a marriage officiated by someone authorized to do so, providing all the other requirements are legally complied with. That being said, any marriage not between one man, and one woman is not valid either, since they would also be just as wrong. Scripture, tradition, history, and reason support this view.

I will not be persuaded to embrace any other view, and it appears you are just as committed to your view, so, all we are doing is whipping a dead horse. And we should stop here before our actions force someone to stumble.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nope, I am right, people should not have sex outside of a marriage officiated by someone authorized to do so, providing all the other requirements are legally complied with. That being said, any marriage not between one man, and one woman is not valid either, since they would also be just as wrong. Scripture, tradition, history, and reason support this view.

I will not be persuaded to embrace any other view, and it appears you are just as committed to your view, so, all we are doing is whipping a dead horse. And we should stop here before our actions force someone to stumble.

Oh, I'm not trying to get you to embrace anything, I'm just saying you're wrong and common law marriage, in spite of what you claimed, is another way to have perfectly legitimate marriage. End of story.

I already explained you were one of those people who, when shown to be wrong, you just can't handle it, and will spin anything to make it not so, and no one here is going to try to stop you from doing that.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread is closed. Please note this site rule:
  • Abortion, adultery, premarital sex, and marijuana use may be discussed, but encouraging participation in these activities is not allowed. Illegal activities may not be encouraged or promoted*.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.