Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Unless you go, and get a Marriage License, stand before someone legally authorized to to conduct a marriage, then you are not married.

Being in love with someone, committed to someone, engaged to someone is all great, but you are not married to that person.

You can give each other rings, stand on the beach before the rising sun, and say some words to each other, and call each other hubby, and wifey.

In the end, all you are doing is living a lie.

People who talk this way are why evangelicals have such ridiculous divorce rates.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
For example, if I saw a couple I would automatically assume that they are intimate with each other.
Do you not make the same assumptions?

This is more so a product of the hyper-sexualized society we live in. I mean, we've reached a point where two people of opposite genders cannot even be friends with each other without people assuming they're dating/being intimate with each other.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not promoting fornication. Stop twisting my words.

It would be nice if you didn't demonize my religion just because we don't agree with your legalism.

What words did I twist?

Nothing has changed from my post, anyone who chooses to see the truth, can see exactly what you said

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People who talk this way are why evangelicals have such ridiculous divorce rates.

Though I don't completely agree with him, as in, I believe common law weddings are just as binding/and probably legal, and even just declaring ones self married in a minimum of circumstances, I still very much doubt you can prove that.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Where in the bible does it say that you can't have sex before marriage? And if there is a verse on this topic, why is it so important? How do couples manage to abstain from sex for years before getting married - it seems weird in this day in age. For example, if I saw a couple I would automatically assume that they are intimate with each other.
Do you not make the same assumptions?
Speaking of assumptions, where in the Bible does it say that something is OK if not specifically ruled out by the Bible?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
What words did I twist?

Nothing has changed from my post, anyone who chooses to see the truth, can see exactly what you said

You're just throwing around insinuations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Though I don't completely agree with him, as in, I believe common law weddings are just as binding/and probably legal, and even just declaring ones self married in a minimum of circumstances, I still very much doubt you can prove that.

It's true, white evangelicals have higher divorce rates than either Catholics or mainline Protestants.

Barna survey: Baptists have highest divorce rate

Lutherans actually have the lowest divorce rates of any Christian group, whereas Baptists and Non-Denominational Christians have the highest. So it seems our "unbiblical teachings" might have something to them after all.

The highest divorce rates are in the "Bible Belt":

Divorce Rates for Atheists Lower Than Christians

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

I was reading in Romans chapter #1 and it talks about the need to be subject to the civil authorities.

The civil authorities, regulate marriage, a marriage license serves several purposes, other than revenue. However, in addition to tax's, we owe revenue to who revenue is due, it's all laid out in Romans.

Additionally, we should be trying to follow what God wants, and having sex outside of marriage is fornication.

If marriage is no big deal, then why is adultry, and divorce condemned? Because the issues are linked.

If you follow the I love him, so, that means I'm married, then it does not matter, except, fornication is condemned in God's word, if it does not matter then why does God condemn it?

I can't believe this

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If marriage is no big deal, then why is adultry, and divorce condemned? Because the issues are linked.
I can't believe this

You can't believe it because in both the case i mentioned, I said marriage must take place in one form or another.

Do you not know that common law marriage is acceptable by some governments?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Insinuation? I did far more than hint.

Then no answer to my question? Thanks anyway.

You're disagreeable and argumentative. I see no reason to continue trying to explain my beliefs to you, as you have a closed mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's true, white evangelicals have higher divorce rates than either Catholics or mainline Protestants.

Your changing your original comment now. Because they "Talk that way" was part of the comment and you left that out this time? You can't be serious. Where will you even find a poll to prove:

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Your changing your original comment now. Because they "Talk that way" was part of the comment and you left that out this time? You can't be serious. Where will you even find a poll to prove:

People that are coerced into conforming to unrealistic ideals end up divorced? Color me unsurprised.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're disagreeable and argumentative. I see no reason to continue trying to explain my beliefs to you, as you have a closed mind.

Of course you don't, and how convenient, common reply in a case like this.

Beats answering the simple question, and getting into the details that would prove me 100% correct...right?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People that are coerced into conforming to unrealistic ideals end up divorced? Color me unsurprised.

And this you say in a thread while defending fornication.

Hey, at least the white Evangelists had the decency to get married. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.