Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here)...?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You seem to be scripturally illiterate. Let me fill you in.9 "But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His." So, you see it is not "rare" but essential!
Paul only considered himself chief of sinners because BEFORE Christ, he killed Christians. But he was dead to sin, and actually said of his current condition, "3 I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience." That is without sin.

Its is quite rare. I have met one Spirit-filled person in the last 20 years, and they are easy to spot by their attitude and ability to remain humble and completely unphased by criticism becasue they hold Jesus in their heart. They very rarely quote scripture but instead live it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You seem to be scripturally illiterate. Let me fill you in.

9 "But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His." So, you see it is not "rare" but essential!

Paul only considered himself chief of sinners because BEFORE Christ, he killed Christians. But he was dead to sin, and actually said of his current condition, "3 I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience." That is without sin.

15 This is a trustworthy saying, worthy of full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners,
of whom I am the worst.
16But for this very reason I was shown mercy, so that in me, the worst of sinners , Christ Jesus might display His perfect patience, as an example to those who would believe in Him for eternal life.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope that's a joke. Not my cup of tea to tread lightly with sin. The blood of Jesus is far too precious for me to be flippant about His sacrifice.
No joke at all...
You said repentance is a way of life..i agree.
But some say also that they are just "sinners" ...ongoing... That are saved. I do not agree with them .

• Agree
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
15 This is a trustworthy saying, worthy of full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners,
of whom I am the worst.
16But for this very reason I was shown mercy, so that in me, the worst of sinners , Christ Jesus might display His perfect patience, as an example to those who would believe in Him for eternal life.
Why quote just this sentance? Why not quote all he wrote lrading up to it and all he wrote following it ?
Where he speaks past tense of before he is saved and his slavhood to sin ...laments that past state...then rejoices that he is NO longer in that state any more.
He does not go on living in sin ..go read all his letters and see how often he reiterates that sinfulness is a PAST state ..and livibg in Christs rightouesness is a present ongoing state.
Go read them .. Instead of plucking out a sentance or two to fit into churchianties self justifying excusing of thier refusal to repent of doing things they KNOW are sinful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think every person's experience has to be the same as your experience...?

And if it's not, they do not have the Holy Spirit in them, or working inside of them and out through them, ect...?

Is God really so "limited"...?

God Bless!

Personally, I think God works in everyone individually. But power over most willful sin is the predominant evidence, taking us out of the old carnal nature, and into a new born again nature of the Spirit. We must be born again. No getting around that.

• Agree
Reactions: Alithis
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
(John 3:21) "But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, (he is honest) that (even) his (wicked, evil and/or sinful) deeds (or works) may be made manifest, (known) that they (even his darkness or sin or unrighteousness) are (all done and) wrought in (the will of) God."

I already answered this, but I just have to point out again that your portions in brackets say the opposite of what is actually said, let alone, meant, and it is important to reiterate. God is never the author of darkness to will it. Are those your words and understanding, or some weird amplified translation being published underground? Here are a few translations for you to see the difference, including the Amplified Bible.

AMP
But whoever practices truth [and does what is right—morally, ethically, spiritually] comes to the Light, so that his works may be plainly shown to be what they are—accomplished in God [divinely prompted, done with God’s help, in dependence on Him].”

NASB
But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God.”

NKJV
But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

NLV
The man who does what is right comes to the Light. What he does will be seen because he has done what God wanted him to do.”

TLB
But those doing right come gladly to the Light to let everyone see that they are doing what God wants them to.”

TPT
But those who love the truth will come out into the Light and welcome its exposure, for the Light will reveal that their fruitful works were produced by God.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I agree. Someone who has to sin, repent, sin, repent, sin, repent, as a lifestyle does not have the power of the Holy Spirit to stop sinning in the first place.

I think you might be taking "repentance" purely in the context of asking for forgiveness of sins.

Repentance is more than that. Repentance is all about changing our ways for the better. From evil to good.

The process doesn't happen overnight from my experience. I have yet to see one Christian who turned completely righteous in a very short span of time.

And there's also the matter of truth. Everyday, we discover new things, truths we didn't knew before. Thing we used to be ignorant about and have done evil out of ignorance. Happens everyday to every Christian I know.

So Repentance is more like a way of life, never settling for the truth you already know but keep digging deeper.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
of whom I am the worst.

You still seem to believe that Paul meant presently. (Present tense is a Semitic {Hebrew} writing style. John used it too when talking about unsaved Gnostics in his congregation, 1 John 1:8. To western ears, it can be confusing, some even have John contradicting himself 1 John 3:9.) Don't allow yourself to have itching ears - always searching out teachers to tell you what you want to hear to justify weakness, rather than the truth. If you think your bragging about being the worst sinner is humility, it is false humility - pride. What you are actually saying is the Holy Spirit in you is the ultimate in weakness - a puny god. Romans 7 is another example of present tense about a past experience. Context, context, context! But still there are some who love to justify their Spiritless struggle. God is all-powerful, and can change the worst sinner into a champion for God! What you don't understand and accuse me of pride, is I boast for the Lord's power. I am nothing without it.

I've seen a lot of posters on forums over the years misunderstand Paul and his own "worst sins" based on western interpretation of what is written as opposed to what is meant. Is there some particular church father that started this heresy, not versed in Hebrew culture? What denominational background are you? Although, it may be ancient, as Peter said of Paul's writings they are hard to understand, and people (probably Greeks) twist his words and invent their own interpretation to their destruction.

1 Peter 3:
Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless. {Does that sound like the apostles sin? Are they going to preach "do as I say, not as I do"?}

15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest (twist), as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think you might be taking "repentance" purely in the context of asking for forgiveness of sins.

Repentance is more than that. Repentance is all about changing our ways for the better. From evil to good.

The process doesn't happen overnight from my experience. I have yet to see one Christian who turned completely righteous in a very short span of time.

And there's also the matter of truth. Everyday, we discover new things, truths we didn't knew before. Thing we used to be ignorant about and have done evil out of ignorance. Happens everyday to every Christian I know.

So Repentance is more like a way of life, never settling for the truth you already know but keep digging deeper.

I agree, but would have worded it differently. The desire for righteousness happens overnight - the knowledge of pitfalls to avoid happens over time.

BTW, repentance is the desire to be scrubbed clean in every nook and cranny, and never get dirty again! It is the repentance of the sin nature itself, not just individual sins. Only then does the old nature die, and is resurrected being born again of the Spirit. That is true repentance. What you are describing is walking in the Spirit thereafter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To be honest you havnt read many of her posts if you think that.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Repentance I think is to set us free from slavery to sin. See then we all can agree on one thing. The sin was not so fun after all. And we can learn from our and others catastrophic mistakes when sin was let to run wild, the effects of it on others and ourselves.

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is repentance a "one time act" or is it, or should it be "a way of life" (here) (while we are here)...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

Continual. 'Your strength is in rest and repentance'.

This is not about "sinning" in the way the world teaches it today (which is corrupted), it is about simply reflecting on thoughts, words, actions, which maybe were good at the time, but are not good now. In Jesus, 'nothing is condemned, but not everything is beneficial'.

If you are not resting, not contemplating, not going over your thoughts, your actions, your words... there is something wrong. This should be regular behavior for anyone who wishes to be as accurate as possible.

The word "sin" is a Greek archery term, meaning to miss the bullseye (or mark, bullseye is a better modern term). Does anyone always hit the bullseye everytime they shoot their figurative bow? Of course not. Training to hit the bullseye all the time - especially when this entails everything you think, and so everything which proceeds from your mouth and hands - is an arduous process, and definitely requires contemplation. Aiming the scope.

If you are just shooting blindly, never learning how to aim the scope, you will not progress.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You still seem to believe that Paul meant presently. (Present tense is a Semitic {Hebrew} writing style. John used it too when talking about unsaved Gnostics in his congregation, 1 John 1:8. To western ears, it can be confusing, some even have John contradicting himself 1 John 3:9.) Don't allow yourself to have itching ears - always searching out teachers to tell you what you want to hear to justify weakness, rather than the truth. If you think your bragging about being the worst sinner is humility, it is false humility - pride. What you are actually saying is the Holy Spirit in you is the ultimate in weakness - a puny god. Romans 7 is another example of present tense about a past experience. Context, context, context! But still there are some who love to justify their Spiritless struggle. God is all-powerful, and can change the worst sinner into a champion for God! What you don't understand and accuse me of pride, is I boast for the Lord's power. I am nothing without it.

I've seen a lot of posters on forums over the years misunderstand Paul and his own "worst sins" based on western interpretation of what is written as opposed to what is meant. Is there some particular church father that started this heresy, not versed in Hebrew culture? What denominational background are you? Although, it may be ancient, as Peter said of Paul's writings they are hard to understand, and people (probably Greeks) twist his words and invent their own interpretation to their destruction.

1 Peter 3:
Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless. {Does that sound like the apostles sin? Are they going to preach "do as I say, not as I do"?}

15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest (twist), as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
Read Paul’s words, he said “I am the worst”

Not “I was the worst”

Paul is talking about his entire life up til that point. Not past tense.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Not “I was the worst”

And now go and read all paul wrote and quote one place where he excuse s himself for continuing to live knowingly in the practice of sin.

You still pluck out that one sentance completly out of context.. To the entire new testament.
Every where paul speaks of the life of disciples with sim to be a past state and rightousness s present ongoing state.
Sin is never to be ongoing.
That is diametrically opposed to repentance.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Not “I was the worst”

Yes, Paul speaks in personal present tense, and claims to be the worst sinner, having killed and persecuted Christians until Jesus knocked him off his camel. Do you honestly think Paul wasn't Spirit-filled? That everyone but him is dead to sin? You are hearing with western ears, and he is speaking in Jewish words and style. Just like Romans 7:9 is present tense as if Paul is there with Moses! He's actually speaking for mankind. And the rest of Romans 7 is present tense and confuses many, but is actually BEFORE Christ UNDER the law BEFORE the Spirit and is compared with the next chapter, comparing Law vs. Spirit.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Alithis
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,566.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It should be a way of life.

However Jesus uses the term repentance in the literal sense of turning around, and most of the NT does as well. Jesus tends to use it for people who turn their lives around, turning from sin to follow him. It's also used in the context "repent and believe the Gospel," meaning turning from someone who rejects Jesus to someone who follows him.

We should humbly realize our own sinfulness and ask God to help us. I think that's what people mean by having repentance as a continuing way of life. In this life we'll never be get beyond the need to do this. It's reasonable to call this repentance. But as far as I can see the NT doesn't actually use the word that way. It uses it for a major change in direction in our lives.

Yes, I agree. But...

Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does

This is what living without sin--always hitting the mark-- looks like. To the extent that we can say we see what the Father is doing and then do it ourselves, we are missing the mark.

And that calls for constant self-examination and re-direction....if we don't want to call it "repentance."

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I want power over "all sin", but don't know if it's possible...?

I know it's definitely not possible on my own or in my own strength...

Now do I have a "whole lot of problems with sin or as many sin issues as maybe some other people have, or do"...? To be perfectly honest, No, I really do not... I have very few sin issues left now really, but I refuse to settle in that or think it's not that bad or OK, when I think it is (bad), or is not (OK)... I feel like I will only be truly satisfied and content with "perfection"...

Am I setting myself up for failure, or great disappointment all the while I am here...? Maybe, but I still aim for the high mark and high calling... Regardless of how it makes me feel, or how I might feel about it...

But, is it possible to sinless and/or perfect and maintain that after a certain point of having done away with it...? IDK...?

But, I have to believe if I ever reach that aim or goal, that I will still sin or do something wrong sometimes after that maybe... Any and all wrong is sin, including, not only doing what is wrong, but also not always doing perfectly always what is always also right also...

It's a very narrow road and or path... And I don't want to, and refuse to try to do it anymore in my own strength... And, since I have been letting God do it, for a while now, I have notice this has been very much more effective against the or my own personal sins and sin issues, and I hope it/that continues... But, It has been a "process" for me, and not some overnight thing... Like it is being worked out of me from the Spirit inside of me...

However the very awesome and cool thing about this is, since I'm not having to do it in my own strength, and am not doing it that way or that anymore, the cool thing is, my sin issues are gradually getting cleaned up and taken care of, with very little to no self-effort on my part, and instead of it becoming harder and harder, it is actually becoming easier and easier, actually...

All I have to do is let God do the work in and and through me, submit to him in all things, be humble and repentant and penitent when I do commit a sin, and even just "rest" while he does it and takes care of it in me... I just think I get impatient with this "process" sometimes, I want to happen now and right now sometimes, or overnight, but I just don't think that is the way it's going to happen for me...?

Is it possible to be totally perfect and 100% totally sinless, and not ever do any wrong ever anymore or not...? That is the question I am trying to answer...?

I just don't like it when some people claim to be sinless right in the midst of sinning and they don't even see it, that frustrates me to no end... And I don't want that kind of supposed sinlessness or righteousness, I want it to be real, and not some trick or fakery that I have tricked and/or deceived myself with, and this is what I see most of the time with people claiming to be sinless, and that's not what I want or how I want it at all...

Now, Why do those kind of people irritate or frustrate me so very much...? I don't know, But I do know it is for a lot of "very good and holy and righteous reasons"... Maybe it's because I am wanting it to be real, and theirs is clearly not, and they're deceiving themselves and everybody else, and are spreading a very false doctrine and false gospel, and makes the one that are trying to truly do it or be it, get overlooked, ignored, ect, IDK...?

Why does it irritate me/you/us so...? I mean really and truly "why"...? I know there is and are very good reasons, but I just can't exactly and precisely put my finger on it/them...?

Anyway, I know I'm not the only one, so "why" does this frustrate us so or so very much...?

What is the "very good (and holy and righteous) reasons" for it/that...?

Can someone answer that for me...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0