• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Is it possible to keep the 10 commandments?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by zoidar, Jun 4, 2018.

1. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    What you're doing is substituting another word. The word used in Genesis 2 is shabath, a verb. You read shabbath a noun. Please note the spelling.

2. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    You make a relationship with God work and work based. The Christian life is more like a tree. It automatically bears fruit. It can't help itself. It makes no effort to bear fruit.

3. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    If not flawlessly, the law isn't kept.

4. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Why don't you provide the passage requiring the sabbath to be kept in the NT (new covenant)?

5. JoeP222w

JoeP222w Well-Known Member

+1,705
    Christian
    Married
    I study and follow Reformed Theology and I am working my way through the Institutes of the Christian Religion by Calvin.

God's attributes work in perfect harmony with one another. God does have a sovereign decree for all things, but that does not nullify His love and mercy, nor does His love and mercy negate His sovereign decree. One attribute does not diminish at the cost of another attribute.

Some may state that, but as mentioned above, God's attributes work in perfect harmony with one another.

Can you demonstrate how?

Based upon what? Need some specifics here.

Specific examples and references?

From my perspective, I don't think this is the case at all. And often I find those who are against Calvinism base their view solely on what a Pastor or Teacher in their church may have told them in a subtle or gross misrepresentations of Calvinism, and not from actual study of the Bible and what Calvin actually wrote. I have also seen from those who disagree with Calvinism a complete unwillingness to read and study what the opposing side understands and believes. I am not saying this is your situation, but this is what I have witnessed.

I seek to understand what those who disagree with me understand and believe, and if one can demonstrate such a view from the whole body of scripture, in context and using proper exegesis and hermeneutics, by God's grace, I hope I am willing to change my perspectives and understanding. By God's grace, I pray my own presuppositions and traditions become subservient to the word of God. Do I do it perfectly? No. But I am being sanctified.

6. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Only a person can choose to accept the Messiah. We can't do anything to redeem (give you life) you.

7. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Ah, so you admit the law has been changed here by addition. Now why don't you respond to John 13:34 with how being in compliance would mean violating the law. Jesus doesn't promote the law for salvation anywhere. I really like John 10 and John 15:10 to prove my point. There are many other passages I also use for the same reason.

8. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Physically the 4th. Jesus offered Himself as the Sabbath in Matthew 11:28-30 to law (sabbath) keeping Jews.

9. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    No it doesn't show through keeping the law. I don't keep any of the law, but I do keep John 13:34. This is why I spend so much time here putting aside other things that need immediate attention for life function.

10. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    The 4th.

11. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Essentially you claim 1 can't know the voice of the Holy Spirit and we need to follow a written prescribed set of rules. The Holy Spirit won't lead 1 to evil.

12. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I believe we are still in our body of flesh which wars against the soul (the person we are).

13. GodsGrace101

GodsGrace101 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,617
    Italy
    Christian
    Married
    To cease and desist.
    God rested.
    Genesis 2:2
    God rested from all the work He had done.
    Which work?
    ALL THE WORK?
    I certainly hope not.
    God rested from the work He had done from Genesis 1:1 up to the point of creating man.

Are you saying God rested from there forward??
    Then what is holding up the universe?
    Instead of posting Hebrew, which I don't know, just please say what you mean.

14. GodsGrace101

+1,617
    Italy
    Christian
    Married
    What are you talking about please?
    He left out the word, what word?
    You mean like, coke, grass, liquor.
    I'm NOT ON ANYTHING, and his post was slanderous and I did practice my grace by not reporting him.

15. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Why are you showing Italy?

16. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I guess you mean God is maintaining the universe. God made things to maintain themselves. I live in the country and have to fight nature or it takes over. If I don't trim the trees they get in the way of normal function. If I don't mow the ticks eat me and the dogs alive. Besides that I don't particularly care for weeds. If I don't protect the chickens the wild life will make dinner from them.

17. listed

listed are you?

+1,514
    Non-Denom
    Private
    to

18. GodsGrace101

+1,617
    Italy
    Christian
    Married
    L
    I didn't misread anything. I read the bible in English, not Hebrew.
    Whether you want it to be shabath or shabbath, my reply to you is the same. I just wrote you. Please reply.

19. Bible Highlighter

Bible Highlighter Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. Supporter

+5,137
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    While I believe God does work through the true believer, they also have to cooperate with God. They still have free will and can sin and or do wrong. Hebrews 3:12-14 warns us by saying,

12 "Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
    13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
    14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end." (Hebrews 3:12-14).

In other words, this warning above would not make any sense if what you say is true in the fact that a believer will always bring forth fruit (i.e. to do the right thing). For the warning says that we are not to be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin whereby it can cause us to have an evil heart of unbelief so as to depart from the living God. To put it to you another way, why warn us of something that is not possible?

The Bible also says,

"And let ours also learn to maintain good works for necessary uses, that they be not unfruitful" (Titus 3:14).

"His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." (Matthew 25:21).

"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 25:30).

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  20. Bible Highlighter

Bible Highlighter Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. Supporter

+5,137
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Do you believe the Holy Spirit had written through men to write the New Testament and that we can 100% trust every word of it in what it says?

If so, then the many commands in the New Testament should be your guide and not your own thoughts alone. In the early formation of the church (while the Scriptures of the NT were being formed), I believe the Spirit was working closely with those believers who came in close contact with Christ. Eventually, the Word of God spread in written form more and more. I believe today that if a person is not following the New Testament commands in the Bible, they are going against God. We cannot do our own thing outside of what the Word of God says. Granted, there are liberal Christians out there who believe otherwise (of course). I surely hope that you are not one of them who says that we do not have to obey the New Testament (Which would naturally include obeying the Commands in the NT).

Jesus says,
    "If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love" (John 15:10).

Most people today.... they really hate that verse above here. I have seen a street preacher use it once and it upsets many (Including Christians of the popular churches of today).