Is it possible to keep the 10 commandments?

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,234.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it possible or not to keep the 10 commandments?

If it's not possible to keep the commandments, why do Jesus and also Paul say we are to keep the commandments?

John 14:15
"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments."

John 14:21
He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

John 15:10
If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Matthew 5:19
Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 19:17
And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

1 Corinthians 7:19
Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.

1 Timothy 6
13 I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who testified the good confession before Pontius Pilate, 14 that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,

TheBibleIsTruth

Dec 19, 2017
Dudley
✟18,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Firstly, as long as Jesus Christ was on earth, and before the Cross, the Commandments in the Torah were still in force. Which is why Jesus tells the rich young ruler, to keep the Commandments of the Old Testament.(Matthew 19:16-22)

Secondly, when Jesus speaks of "My Commandments", they are summed up in just Two,

"But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets" (Matthew 22:34-40)

Thirdly, no human after the Death of the Lord Jesus Christ, can ever be saved (born again), by keeping the Commandments.

"For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin." (Romans 3:20)

"yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified" (Galatians 2:16)

Fourthly, the Old Testament (Covenant) was annulled at the Cross of Jesus Christ.

"But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. For if that First Covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a Second...In speaking of a New Covenant [Testament], he makes the First one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away" (Hebrews 8:6-7, 13)

Fifthly, the Bible teaches that it is by Grace that we are saved, through Faith:

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9)

"But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people." (Titus 3:4-8)

"But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace" (Romans 11:6)

Sixthly, Jesus says that we are "born again" by "repenting and believing".

"Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”" (Mark 1:14-15)

"and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem" (Luke 24:47)

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Secondly, when Jesus speaks of "My Commandments", they are summed up in just Two,

"But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets" (Matthew 22:34-40)

Fifthly, the Bible teaches that it is by Grace that we are saved, through Faith:

The 2 Commandments are a summary of the 10. HOW do you love God and HOW do you love you neighbor. Do you just say that you do? HOW do you SHOW that you do? The first 4 are HOW to love God and the last 6 are HOW to love your neighbor.

Grace is not a license to sin.

Upvote 0

TheBibleIsTruth

Dec 19, 2017
Dudley
✟18,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
The 2 Commandments are a summary of the 10. HOW do you love God and HOW do you love you neighbor. Do you just say that you do? HOW do you SHOW that you do? The first 4 are HOW to love God and the last 6 are HOW to love your neighbor.

Grace is not a license to sin.

Only the moral Law of the Old Testament is what Christians are required to keep. the Fourth Commandment is NOT for any Bible-believing Christian, because it was given to Israel. We worship the Risen Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ on Sunday, the First Day of the week, and not the Jewish Sabbath Day. This Command was never reconfirmed in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If it's not possible to keep the commandments, why do Jesus and also Paul say we are to keep the commandments?

He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.

1 Timothy 6
13 I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who testified the good confession before Pontius Pilate, 14 that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,
God has always demanded obedience.
He tried in every way to do this but man would not listen.
So, as was His plan from the beginning, at just the right time, He sent His Son to be the last sacrifice and to show us how we should be and to be plain about what God wants, not sacrifices but our hearts.

Yes, it is possible to keep the 10 commandments as anything is possible. But it is not probable. We're human and as humans we will always fail either in deed, thought, or omission.

But the Holy Spirit abides with us and through the power of the Holy Spirit and our love for Jesus who died for us, our sin nature is kept under submission and sin held to a minimum.
John told us what to do when we sin. If he thought we'd never sin, he would not have told us this.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian

1 Timothy 6
!
1 Timothy 6, the commandment are the admonitions and exhortations as commandments Paul is writing to Timothy in Chapter 6, and nothing to do with Moses and the 10 commandments. Just start at the beginning of the chapter 6 and read through and you will see this in context of Paul writing to Timothy. Paul being an apostle was writing scripture too, and the apostles knew they were communicating the will of Christ and God to the people.

11 But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13 I urge you in the sight of God who gives life to all things, and before Christ Jesus who witnessed the good confession before Pontius Pilate, 14 that you keep this commandment without spot, blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ’s appearing, 15 which He will manifest in His own time,

• Agree
Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Firstly, as long as Jesus Christ was on earth, and before the Cross, the Commandments in the Torah were still in force. Which is why Jesus tells the rich young ruler, to keep the Commandments of the Old Testament.(Matthew 19:16-22)

Thirdly, no human after the Death of the Lord Jesus Christ, can ever be saved (born again), by keeping the Commandments.

"For by works of the law no human being will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin." (Romans 3:20)

"yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified" (Galatians 2:16)

Fourthly, the Old Testament (Covenant) was annulled at the Cross of Jesus Christ.

"But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. For if that First Covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a Second...In speaking of a New Covenant [Testament], he makes the First one obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away" (Hebrews 8:6-7, 13)

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast" (Ephesians 2:8-9)

"But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people." (Titus 3:4-8)

"But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace" (Romans 11:6)

"Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”" (Mark 1:14-15)

"and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem" (Luke 24:47)

I just want to make the following comment:
The works you speak of in the above verses regard how the Jews tried to be saved --- just by doing works and with no faith. This will get no one saved, even today.
God wants our faith.
This does not mean we are not required to keep the commandments ... God does not change His mind.

As to the Sabbath, it has nothing to do with God changing His commandments. If that were the case, we'd all be sinning by not keeping the Sabbath. The reason we do not have to keep the Sabbath is not because we're not Jews but because keeping the Sabbath is a ceremonial law and those were abolished with Jesus' death. Only the moral commandments remain.

As to the above highlighted by me in green, no covenant was ever annulled. Annulled means it was never legitimate in the first place.

Upvote 0

TheBibleIsTruth

Dec 19, 2017
Dudley
✟18,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I just want to make the following comment:
The works you speak of in the above verses regard how the Jews tried to be saved --- just by doing works and with no faith. This will get no one saved, even today.
God wants our faith.
This does not mean we are not required to keep the commandments ... God does not change His mind.

As to the Sabbath, it has nothing to do with God changing His commandments. If that were the case, we'd all be sinning by not keeping the Sabbath. The reason we do not have to keep the Sabbath is not because we're not Christians but because keeping the Sabbath is a ceremonial law and those were abolished with Jesus' death. Only the moral commandments remain.

As to the above highlighted by me in green, no covenant was ever annulled. Annulled means it was never legitimate in the first place.

"to annul" does not mean that it "was never legitimate in the first place", but rather to "to declare or make legally invalid or void", because something else has taken its place.

Hebrews 8:7 says, "For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second". "Faultless", from "ἄμεμπτος", which is "blameless, free from defect". Verse 8 says, "For finding fault with them, he says, Behold, the days come, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah". fault, "μέμφομαι", "to be dissatisfied with, find fault with".

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,234.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Of course no one is justfied by the law, but if we are born again are we not to keep the law to walk in the light and righteousness? When Paul says the knowledge of sin comes though the law, isn't he talking about those who are not yet born again. But as we are born again doesn't the law give us another meaning, that we shall keep the law?

Isn't it all the hundreds of laws the jews had that Paul is talking about, how to eat, what to wear ... Since it's said we are to keep the commandments, I doubt that it's the commandments Paul is referring to in Heb 8.

Again isn't Paul talking about those who believe they can be saved by works without faith? Doesn't faith through the Holy Spirit enable us to keep the commandments?

Yes that is the way to salvation. But once saved are we not to keep the 10 commandments?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,234.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only the moral Law of the Old Testament is what Christians are required to keep. the Fourth Commandment is NOT for any Bible-believing Christian, because it was given to Israel. We worship the Risen Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ on Sunday, the First Day of the week, and not the Jewish Sabbath Day. This Command was never reconfirmed in the New Testament.

Keeping the "Sabbath day", isn't that what we do when we have one day a week that we especially devote to prayer and church?

Upvote 0

TheBibleIsTruth

Dec 19, 2017
Dudley
✟18,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Of course no one is justfied by the law, but if we are born again are we not to keep the law to walk in the light and righteousness? When Paul says the knowledge of sin comes though the law, isn't he talking about those who are not yet born again. But as we are born again doesn't the law give us another meaning, that we shall keep the law?

Isn't it all the hundreds of laws the jews had that Paul is talking about, how to eat, what to wear ... Since it's said we are to keep the commandments, I doubt that it's the commandments Paul is referring to in Heb 8.

Again isn't Paul talking about those who believe they can be saved by works without faith? Doesn't faith through the Holy Spirit enable us to keep the commandments?

Yes that is the way to salvation. But once saved are we not to keep the 10 commandments?

are Christians required to keep the Fourth Commandment? If so, please show where in the New Testament this is taught?

Upvote 0

TheBibleIsTruth

Dec 19, 2017
Dudley
✟18,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Keeping the "Sabbath day", isn't that what we do when we have one day a week that we especially devote to prayer and church?

No, the Jewish Sabbath is very different. Read the Old Testament and see the "do's and don't" for the Sabbath Day, which is not the same as the Lord's Day.

Christian doctors work on Sunday, they take public transport, or even drive to get to Church, which is forbidden for the Jewish Sabbath. Exodus 35:3 says, "You shall kindle no fire in all your dwelling places on the Sabbath day". So, cooking, hot water and heating are not allowed on the Sabbath Day. Does any of this apply under the New Covenant? Are all Christians who do these, break the very Law of God, in disobeying the Fourth Commandment?

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,234.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God has always demanded obedience.
He tried in every way to do this but man would not listen.
So, as was His plan from the beginning, at just the right time, He sent His Son to be the last sacrifice and to show us how we should be and to be plain about what God wants, not sacrifices but our hearts.

Yes, it is possible to keep the 10 commandments as anything is possible. But it is not probable. We're human and as humans we will always fail either in deed, thought, or omission.

But the Holy Spirit abides with us and through the power of the Holy Spirit and our love for Jesus who died for us, our sin nature is kept under submission and sin held to a minimum.
John told us what to do when we sin. If he thought we'd never sin, he would not have told us this.

Is there a difference between keeping the law and keeping the law perfectly? I can't believe anyone never sins. So keeping the law perfectly will definitely be a problem. There must be a difference in keeping the law and sometimes fail to do so, than to say we don't have to keep it.

• Agree
Reactions: GodsGrace101
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Is there a difference between keeping the law and keeping the law perfectly? I can't believe anyone never sins. So keeping the law perfectly will definitely be a problem. There must be a difference in keeping the law and sometimes fail to do so, than to say we don't have to keep it.

In your OP you claim 'the commandments' in 1 Timothy 6 are the 10 commandments.
Well Paul tells Timothy this,

13 I urge you in the sight of God who gives life to all things, and before Christ Jesus who witnessed the good confession before Pontius Pilate, 14 that you keep this commandment without spot, blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ’s appearing, 15 which He will manifest in His own time,

Do you see the problem, the commandment Paul is mentioning must not be the 10 commandments given by Moses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes

Romans 13:8-10
Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,234.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

13 I urge you in the sight of God who gives life to all things, and before Christ Jesus who witnessed the good confession before Pontius Pilate, 14 that you keep this commandment without spot, blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ’s appearing, 15 which He will manifest in His own time,

Do you see the problem, the commandment Paul is mentioning must not be the 10 commandments given by Moses.

1 tim 6:11 "But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness."

Isn't this basically what the 10 commandments is about?

I see that Paul is talking about to be respectful to our masters. So you may be right that Paul isn't specifically talking about the 10 commandments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"to annul" does not mean that it "was never legitimate in the first place", but rather to "to declare or make legally invalid or void", because something else has taken its place.

Hebrews 8:7 says, "For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second". "Faultless", from "ἄμεμπτος", which is "blameless, free from defect". Verse 8 says, "For finding fault with them, he says, Behold, the days come, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah". fault, "μέμφομαι", "to be dissatisfied with, find fault with".

annul
əˈnʌl/

verb
  1. declare invalid (an official agreement, decision, or result).
    "the elections were annulled by the general amid renewed protests"
    sinonimi: declare invalid, declare null and void, nullify, invalidate, void; Altro
    • declare (a marriage) to have had no legal existence.
      "her first marriage was finally annulled by His Holiness"
Regarding the bible, I always go with the marriage explanation.
When a marriage is annulled, it means it never really existed.

No covenant ever abolished the previous one.
Every new covenant was made to add something to the previous one or to make it better in some way.

The New Covenant does not abolish any other covenant, including the Mosaic. It just makes it better. Jesus is a better sacrifice, a better priest, a better prophet, a better king.

Just as the Mosaic Covenant required blood, so did the New Covenant require blood. Just as the Mosaic Covenant required obedience to God so we could be His people, the New Covenant requires obedience to God so we could be His people.

What was changed and made better was that the law was now written in our hearts and not on stone. It was now possible to follow the commandments because of love and not because of rules.
Jeremiah 31:33

Hebrews 8:4-10
4Now if He were on earth, He would not be a priest at all, since there are those who offer the gifts according to the Law; 5who serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things, just as Moses was warned by Godwhen he was about to erect the tabernacle; for, “SEE,” He says, “THAT YOU MAKEall things ACCORDING TO THE PATTERN WHICH WAS SHOWN YOU ON THE MOUNTAIN.” 6But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.

A New Covenant

7For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second.

8For finding fault with them, He says,
“BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD,
WHEN I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT
WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH;

9NOT LIKE THE COVENANT WHICH I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS
ON THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND
TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT;
FOR THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT,
AND I DID NOT CARE FOR THEM, SAYS THE LORD.

10“FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL
AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD:
I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS,
AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS.
AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD,
AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.

Indeed, the old covenant was not faultless. It had the fault of not having the property to allow men to follow the law as God instructed. The New Covenant does. It had a fault, and God made a BETTER Covenant.
But the Mosaic was not abolished...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,234.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

But what about?

Upvote 0