Is it essential to quote the Bible in order to give good Christian advice?

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I take the credit for my. wisdom. Why don't you? :)
(lightning strike!!) God, sorry, I promise to give you the credit next time. OK?

Haha. That could have been a true story in my life though at one point. :)

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Those were my thoughts not too long ago. I am from atheist background and finally became a Christian by way of (I initially thought) logic.

However recently I found logic a lot times fails on man, and God is impossible to understand by logic alone. It is the holy spirit that is doing the work, and the word of God has power, literally.

So to the point, don't quote scripture just because you think it sounds cool, quote it when it pops into your head. That of course requires us to read the Bible more, and we should since those are the word of God and they have power that we can't understand (even after all the translations).

I am catholic by the way. I rarely quote scripture. That is partly because I don't have the knowledge of many good CF members who are raised on the Bible as the number one authority.
But I see my role in helping a fellow human being as first, being there for them. As an equal. Not as their scripture quoting superior. As if the OP's lack of knowledge of scripture is contributing to the problem.
See them first as fellow travellers. Don't condescend to them as if you are closer to Heaven , as if you have some special access to God's real intentions. Remember the importance of humility? Giving advice still requires humility. Didn't Jesus emphasise the value of humility?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus lives in our hearts, not in a book. Plain and simple. If He is not guiding us, satan automatically is; whether you are reading/quoting from a bible or not. I say, without hesitation, that the bible is probably the WORST thing that has happened to Christianity. I am not saying there isn't truth in it, but it has been used by Christians as their "god" rather than just as a tool. It is not now, nor has it EVER been the "ultimate authority". That title belongs to JESUS and JESUS ALONE! Giving that title to anything else is pure blasphemy. Plain and simple!
Jesus said rebuking Satan...."It is written..."

Jesus recognized what proceeds out of the mouth of God is Truth and the transcendent standard to test truth claims.

Upvote 0

patdee

Sep 20, 2016
Duluth, Georgia
✟23,983.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am catholic by the way. I rarely quote scripture. That is partly because I don't have the knowledge of many good CF members who are raised on the Bible as the number one authority.
But I see my role in helping a fellow human being as first, being there for them. As an equal. Not as their scripture quoting superior. As if the OP's lack of knowledge of scripture is contributing to the problem.
See them first as fellow travellers. Don't condescend to them as if you are closer to Heaven , as if you have some special access to God's real intentions. Remember the importance of humility? Giving advice still requires humility. Didn't Jesus emphasise the value of humility?

Didn't Jesus emphasize the value of humility?

Certainly not in the context of what humility means in today's PC (politically correctness) world!

Jesus' humility meant "Love thy neighbor as thyself" AFTER one "Loves thy God (Jesus) with all thy heart, all of thy soul and all of thy mind"; along with rebuking sin wherever we see it; as long as we begin by first looking in a mirror.

IE: There is NO true love without rebuking sin. It is NEVER "judging" as long as the sin is evident and/or apparent. Example: a person says they are a "homosexual". Then we ARE to love them as we love ourselves; BUT we are also to tell them that they are committing an abominable sin unto Jesus. Oh indeed yes! It is our duty. Believe it or not.

Sadly, satan-led, Godless liberalism has relegated Jesus and His message; as though it came from a "love goddess". Oh indeed yes. And therein lies the work fomented in hell by satan. Thus, the secular world; and sadly most Christians, are duped into believing that we are ONLY to "love" our neighbor, but NEVER judge their sin(s). Whereas we are taught by Jesus to love thy neighbor but abhor their sin. Remember to begin by first looking into a mirror!

As to your post's title: "Is it essential to quote the Bible in order to give good Christian advice?"........

........It is NOT essential to quote the Bible in order to give good Christian advice. For that too is fomented in hell by satan. Paul quoted NO bible and there has never been a more consecrated "Christian" messenger on this planet. Also: not one single writer of the Old Testament EVER saw a single word of the "bible" that is published today.

Remember the bible is NOT a book. Rather; it is a collection of "books" written by MANY "Hebrew" men over a 1400 yr period; where in MOST cases one writer's work was never seen by any of the other authors. Also consider that the book of Revelation was NEVER seen by a single other writer of any book in what we call the bible. Believe it or not.

Also, the bible did not come into being until the 4th century AD. And that was a bible called "Latin Vulgate"; when a Catholic Pope in the late 4th century AD, named Damascus; chose a linguist expert by the name of Eusebius Sophronius Hieronymus; well educated in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek; to translate 80 books of scrolls and letters into a consortium of books, he named the "Latin Vulgate". (Note: the Old Testament was written mostly in Hebrew and a small part was written in Aramaic; while the New Testament was written entirely in Greek.)

Interestingly, for over 1,000 yrs AFTER the "Latin Vulgate" was put together, there was NOT a single complete "bible" in the world. And the first complete "bible" to have ever been written; was completed in 1384 AD by John Wycliff. But it was read by few people because the printing press was not invented until centuries later. Further; ANY one found with it, reading it or not, would be burned at the stake. Oh indeed yes. Sadly.

The first complete bible to have ever been written and published; that any person could read freely without fear of being burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic church; was in England in 1611, when a bible called the "King James bible" was first published; under the strict control of King James the VI.

It became "official" and became THE most sold book in the history of man in any genre' of writing; until the NIV (New International Version) was published in 1973; which today has surpassed the KJV in sales worldwide.

The NIV is the second most accurately translated bible ever published regardless of what the "king jameser's" say; who have mocked it and called it the "Nearly Inspired Version".

The MOST accurately translated English bible in the world; is the NASB (New American Standard Bible); but it has not found wide favor; because it is too difficult to read for most; since it is translated "word for word"; rather than "phrase by phrase". So the NIV is the best to read; if one wants to have a better understanding of the bible in today's vernacular (English). Oh indeed yes.

So the question is: HOW was Jesus and the words of God found out by billions of Christians that existed before 1611; who never saw a single word of scripture? Huh?

Again remember, there would be NO semblance of a bible for almost 500 yrs after Jesus. So how did Christians learn? The answer is quite simple and the answer can be found in words that Jesus spoke unto His disciples just before He ascended into heaven; after being resurrected and lived for 40 days in the flesh.

Those words are: "When you go (out into the world to preach), do not consider what you shall say; for the Holy Spirit will put words in your mouth at the appointed time".

This negates any true disciple and/or preacher from EVER needing to quote a single verse of scripture; for Jesus WILL put in a true messenger's mouth, the truth. Whether they have ever seen and/or read a word of "scripture" or not. Believe it or not!

Paul is a perfect example of that. So is Daniel and so many more. There are countless "laymen" in this world that Jesus speaks through their mouths "at the appointed time".

Finally: The notion that a bible (of any name and version in any language) is the "inerrant, infallible word of God"; is just pure nonsense. For that false doctrine is also fomented by satan in hell. Jesus* uses enumerable men to spread the "gospel", whether they know or read scripture or not.

ALL will know this to be true one day. Mark Me Words!

In any case, may Jesus richly bless you and yours always.

* Jesus is the ONLY "Inerrant, infallible word of God" that has ever, or will ever be. Praise His Holy Name. It is blasphemy to say that ANY book is the inerrant, infallible word of God. Oh indeed yes. Doubters: Please read John 21:25 and then dare to still believe that any bible in the world, is "all it has been espoused to be". Think about it!

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You come off a bit as one who has great disdain for Bible quoters. Hope that's not the case. I quote Scripture to show, prove, assure others from His Word, not my own. My own words are faulty.
I urge you to read the Scriptures enough to become well-versed as well. They are a universal language.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You come off a bit as one who has great disdain for Bible quoters. Hope that's not the case. I quote Scripture to show, prove, assure others from His Word, not my own. My own words are faulty.
I urge you to read the Scriptures enough to become well-versed as well. They are a universal language.
Good answer. I have some bias against verse quoting posters, especially the ones who do it a lot. That's true. But I try to keep an open mind and can change my perception on that.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good answer. I have some bias against verse quoting posters, especially the ones who do it a lot. That's true. But I try to keep an open mind and can change my perception on that.
I truly appreciate your gentle and humble approach.

Now I have to ask...do you ever quote the catechism when giving your theological views or discussing moral issues with others within and without the Catholic church?

• Friendly
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Now I have to ask...do you ever quote the catechism when giving your theological views or discussing moral issues with others within and without the Catholic church?
No.I need to brush up on it too.I remember basic stuff from childhood but its not a book enjoy reading. The Bible is better

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No.I need to brush up on it too.I remember basic stuff from childhood but its not a book enjoy reading. The Bible is better
I'm Evangelical but find the CCC very informative on historic Christian positions such as the Trinity and moral issues such as abortion. The portion of the catechism which covers Sacred Scriptures is quite good IMO. Something to look at.

Edit:

Catechism of the Catholic Church - Sacred Scripture

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I admit the primacy of the Bible but it seems that this is the only book some people think they need to read.
That speaks to me of narrow-mindedness, unfort.

There might be people who misuse God's word, but as a former atheist, who used to only read OT and hated NT (since OT is full of stories and NT feels so boring). Even after I became a Christian I feel ashamed to admit to that, as someone who has to come to God for help.

As the word of God goes deeper and deeper, it all changed. A lot of people seems so smart, Buddha, Montesquieu, but if you read them a lot you will find it is all the same, as Bible said nothing is new. The word of God is sharp, it cuts right into the heart, shows our arrogance, our shortcomings.

A lot of reading is good, for the weak minded (like me, since I need logic to back things up). There is a true story back in China, when the culture revolution hits, a church lead by Watcherman Ni was crashed, a lot of the people ditched God faster then Peter, and yet one stayed true to her faith is a old lady who can't read, and almost didn't baptized due to that she can't study well, and she stayed Christian under persecution, and send food to her brothers/sisters in jail when all other trying to avoid that. That is strong faith from God.

Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
If them is within the interfaith ecumenical religions of the world, then you need to be quoting from scripture to stay loyal to Jesus biographic account of humility.
Otherwise people might just as well come in their own name and that of their own religious community. The latter is a pious rheoteric that is at odds with God.

Here is a quiz....

Who was it that said I come in my own name and that of the ######## community?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟523,023.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good to keep that open mind! Good answer too!

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think you're making a false assumption here, which is that quoting scripture to people is condescending. I'm sure there are people that do that, but we are all supposed to be ministers of the gospel. A Christian should share Gods word to people for their spiritual benefit, not for the sake of their own ego. The world is gripped with spiritual darkness, and it is growing day by day. The only thing that can dispel that darkness is the light of Jesus Christ.

The word of God is powerful; it has the power to convert the soul and to minister life to people. I don't have that power. The word of God is truth. I could be wrong. The word of God penetrates the heart and ministers to the deepest spiritual, mental, emotional and physical needs of a person. I cannot see the heart of person to truly help them. All we can offer from ourselves are bandaids, whereas God can bring complete healing and restoration. People need the light of Jesus Christ in us far more than they need our advice.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
think you're making a false assumption here, which is that quoting scripture to people is condescending
I'm generalising of course. Not all of you are condescending I know.
Guess I was being a shock jock to get your attention.
But there is a grain of truth in what I say, you have to admit.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The word of God penetrates the heart and ministers to the deepest spiritual, mental, emotional and physical needs of a person.
I have to be honest. Some parts of the Bible just bore me and they don't speak to me at all. Whereas other parts are incredibly profound. One of my favourites is when Jesus says to Pilate "my kingdom is not of this world." Pilate was so secular, he didn't get what Jesus was saying at all. Completely over his head. But none of them did at the time except maybe the apostles.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm generalising of course. Not all of you are condescending I know.
Guess I was being a shock jock to get your attention.
But there is a grain of truth in what I say, you have to admit.

It just depends on where your heart is at. Look at the apostles; they ministered the word continually to the downtrodden and brokenhearted, to the average joe, to the rich and to kings and priests. I don't think they were being condescending in doing that. It is the Lords command that all of us preach the gospel to every person on Earth. If our intention is simply to obey the Lord and preach His word then there isn't anything wrong with that. If it is to make you feel superior to other people, then yes there is a big problem with that.

• Agree
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0