Is it essential to quote the Bible in order to give good Christian advice?

HenryM

Dec 21, 2016
ZXC
✟32,716.00
Country
Bangladesh
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it essential to quote the Bible in order to give good Christian advice?

I guess it's not essential, but best posts I've read on CF came with quotes from the Bible, or were directly referencing the Bible. Worst definitely came without. In the middle, it's mixed up.

Also, I didn't come along anyone whom I would label condescending for quoting the Bible. Some I find "out of touch", to put it that way, and when I detect them, I rarely read what they write anymore. But even in that group, my skip-their-post group, I would say there are more people who don't quote the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Word and Jesus agree in one
In the Word, Jesus himself is referred to as the Word.
The Word is the sword of the spirit, and rightly divides between Spirit and flesh.
The Word is to be obeyed.
The Word is the bread of life.
The Word and the Spirit agree in
one.
The Word proceeds from the mouth of God.
There is no bible, it's a mistake to call it that. It is the Word of God.
Ask God to show you what is the proper version of it which he considers the best version for people who want to get deep in
The Word, and then study it and ask him to grant wisdom and revelation in the Word, and understanding for how to apply it in life.

There is a Bible -- many of them. Jesus is the Word of God, but he isn't a book.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,274,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey all verse quoting posters
Please don't let me stop you from posting as you normally do. I just thought you'd like to hear a different perspective.
Go for it. whatever the Holy Spirit in you wants you to do. I don't want to cramp your style.
Book of Forum, chapter-etiquette, verse-101: Thou shall not cramp the style of others. ;)

Upvote 0

Amilia

Mar 20, 2017
USA
✟570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus was perfectly humble and quoted Scripture. The Bible was given to us for a reason.

I wasn't raised to memorize the things in the Bible (in fact the people around me hate it and get annoyed when other people include Bible verses in the things they write), I was just extremely drawn to it after I was saved. God brings the words you learn to your remembrance, it just happens. I love it when people quote Scripture when giving advice, if they don't then it's just their own opinion. I think it is more humble to use the Bible than just your own opinion. It doesn't mean I'm better than you, it means I learned something from the Bible and want to help you with it because I believe it's the best advice I could possibly give.
If you're not really with God, you won't care about biblical advice. But if you are, you'll understand why some people want to be given that kind of advice. We believe God's words are 100% true and want to follow them, but if you don't believe that God tells the truth then the Bible will just seem pointless to you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was perfectly humble and quoted Scripture. The Bible was given to us for a reason.

I wasn't raised to memorize the things in the Bible (in fact the people around me hate it and get annoyed when other people include Bible verses in the things they write), I was just extremely drawn to it after I was saved. God brings the words you learn to your remembrance, it just happens. I love it when people quote Scripture when giving advice, if they don't then it's just their own opinion. I think it is more humble to use the Bible than just your own opinion. It doesn't mean I'm better than you, it means I learned something from the Bible and want to help you with it because I believe it's the best advice I could possibly give.
If you're not really with God, you won't care about biblical advice. But if you are, you'll understand why some people want to be given that kind of advice. We believe God's words are 100% true and want to follow them, but if you don't believe that God tells the truth then the Bible will just seem pointless to you.
Excellent post! :) Good to see you on the forums.

• Friendly
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm concerned about your second pararaph. Heaping scorn and loudly criticizing someone is a poor witness.

Not always. Yes, a gentle answer turneth away wrath. but if there is someone that is saying that Hitler was doing a good job killing the Jews, scorn and criticism are better answers than saying "I don't think so."

I understand the attitude. I always TRY to give a gentle answer. But if you have someone insisting that 2+2=5, even after you have patiently explained (several times over) that 2+2=4, might strain even someone with the patience of Job might be a little loud.

BTW, your signature line says, "My bible is shaped like a heart, not like a club." I have hardly ever seen a book shaped like a heart. A card, perhaps, but not a book. Your Bible is shaped like a book, and not a heart.

• Agree
Reactions: The Times
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
bettercallpaul.. I am 55. What I have found is.. believing His word.. praying His word.. speaking HIS word..for HIS word can not return to HIM void. To this day.. I have seen wonders from my Father. I am not part of any one group. We are one family if JESUS is the only lord of our life. The only way to the Father.

So yes....its LIVE.. its our anchor...this is how we know what IS and what is not..for me. Fear.. I say..no..God has not given me the spirit of fear. Sad.. the joy of the lord is my strength.. so forth so on. Have you not just read the word and verse just POP OUT? HIM.. talking to.. ask HIM the sweet sweet Spirit of God that we asked for as Jesus said to do.. will lead and guide us in to all truth. ask Him to open our eyes when we read... HE IS REAL!

Upvote 0

Amilia

Mar 20, 2017
USA
✟570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand the attitude. I always TRY to give a gentle answer. But if you have someone insisting that 2+2=5, even after you have patiently explained (several times over) that 2+2=4, might strain even someone with the patience of Job might be a little loud.
You don't have to say anything though. If you give a gentle answer several times and a person still disagrees, it just becomes a useless argument.

Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not always. Yes, a gentle answer turneth away wrath. but if there is someone that is saying that Hitler was doing a good job killing the Jews, scorn and criticism are better answers than saying "I don't think so."

I understand the attitude. I always TRY to give a gentle answer. But if you have someone insisting that 2+2=5, even after you have patiently explained (several times over) that 2+2=4, might strain even If you can't understandsomeone with the patience of Job might be a little loud.

BTW, your signature line says, "My bible is shaped like a heart, not like a club." I have hardly ever seen a book shaped like a heart. A card, perhaps, but not a book. Your Bible is shaped like a book, and not a heart.

If I really have to spell it out for you...

Many people use their bibles as clubs to assault people with their version of the truth. I use my bible as an instrument of love, as Jesus commanded us to do. If you can't understand the imagery I suggest you open up your mind.

P.S. My bible is not shaped like a book, it is a book.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

This generation is a perverse generation, that yields to no authority. The authority of scripture is another obstacle in their way. This is how Paul described them as...

lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5having a form of godliness but denying God's power. (2 Timothy 3:4-5)

The way that God will weed out these individuals is through much pain and suffering. The meraphorical term sour grapes describes these individuals, because they know that they must adopt a negative attitude towards the authority of scripture, because they cannot have the authority of the Word themselves. So they must take on a form of godliness yet deep down in their hearts they deny the authority of God that is documented in scripture.

So in order to weed out these sour grapes, God will make an example of these individuals by heaping much scorn upon them and by placing them in harms way, so that they may learn their lesson.

This concept is not knew to the Hebrew culture, for it is called "the stick from heaven/paradise".

These individuals will continue to pervert the written Word so that they place themselves in the position of authority....

You are 100% correct when you stated previously below......

I will heap scorn upon things I consider silly, and I will loudly criticize someone who is more intent on giving someone else rules instead of loving someone as a neighbor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Many people use their bibles as clubs to assault people with their version of the truth. I use my bible as an instrument of love, as Jesus commanded us to do. If you can't understand the imagery I suggest you open up your mind.

The Bible is not an inanimate object of love. It is a biography of the God who is Love. You and I need to consider ourselves as a instrument of the written word as witnesses of the written word. So the Bible is not your or my instrument, but we are its instrument, because it is us who yields to its authority, because we have absolutely no authority and no stake hold on the Word, rather once we are in possesion of the word, we become obligated under the authority of the Word to execute it to the jot and title, otherwise the flying scroll (written word) becomes a curse on those who try and put their own stamp of authority on it.

The Flying Scroll
1I looked again, and there before me was a flying scroll.

2He asked me, “What do you see?”

I answered, “I see a flying scroll, twenty cubits long and ten cubits wide.a

3And he said to me, “This is the curse that is going out over the whole land; for according to what it says on one side, every thief will be banished, and according to what it says on the other, everyone who swears falsely will be banished. 4The Lord Almighty declares, ‘I will send it out, and it will enter the house of the thief and the house of anyone who swears falsely by my name. It will remain in that house and destroy it completely, both its timbers and its stones.’ ” (Zechariah 5:1-4)

And Jesus said the same thing.....

14If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. 15Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. (Matthew 10:14-15)

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

After he has explained to you what he does, why are you responding with what "many people" do? Your response is a non sequitur to his.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Quoting scripture does not mean you are holier than others. I think it is essential for a new convert and non believers (who come to this forum) to get to know what's written in the Word otherwise they will feel that you are only voicing your own opinion. Let them also know what's in the scriptures. To support my view I would like to further quote scripture here again. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16 After all this is a christian forum and not a secular site.

Besides most of the time before I answer someone in this forum I ask the Holy Spirit to lead me or tell me what to say. Sometimes I don't even know what to say. Thats when I pray and get my guidance from the Holy Spirit. I don't want to misguide anyone with my own opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After he has explained to you what he does, why are you responding with what "many people" do? Your response is a non sequitur to his.

It is not a non sequitur to his. You are using a straw man argument.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Quoting scripture does not mean you are holier than others. I think it is essential for a new convert and non believers (who come to this forum) to get to know what's written in the Word otherwise they will feel that you are only voicing your own opinion. Let them also know what's in the scriptures. To support my view I would like to further quote scripture here again. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16 After all this is a christian forum and not a secular site.

Besides most of the time before I answer someone in this forum I ask the Holy Spirit to lead me or tell me what to say. Sometimes I don't even know what to say. Thats when I pray and get my guidance from the Holy Spirit. I don't want to misguide anyone with my own opinion.

Ask the Holy Spirit if it's proper to not capitalize "christian".

Upvote 0