Is it essential to quote the Bible in order to give good Christian advice?

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,916,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well yeah, let's not start ignoring the fact that if you go to certain atheist websites, they will list many "apparent" contradictions in the Bible.
Actually, I agree with the idea of "APPARENT" contradictions (because there are a number of verses that do 'seem' contradictory at first blush), but I disagree that there are "actual" ones :preach:

Upvote 0

Left

Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟59,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Actually, I agree with the idea of "APPARENT" contradictions (because there are a number of verses that do 'seem' contradictory at first blush), but I disagree that there are "actual" ones :preach:

Interesting viewpoint. I respect that.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What I've noticed from those seeking advice is first they are also looking for a sympathetic ear and second adverse situations cause them to be more open to God and His Word.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
In this thread we have those who value the scriptures above all other writings, and those who do not. Why debate it though? If you dont like scripture just dont read it. Simple
we're not debating the value of scripture. We're debating whether every bit of advice we give someone looking for it on here, has to include a quote from scripture.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Jesus lives in our hearts, not in a book. Plain and simple. If He is not guiding us, satan automatically is; whether you are reading/quoting from a bible or not. I say, without hesitation, that the bible is probably the WORST thing that has happened to Christianity. I am not saying there isn't truth in it, but it has been used by Christians as their "god" rather than just as a tool. It is not now, nor has it EVER been the "ultimate authority". That title belongs to JESUS and JESUS ALONE! Giving that title to anything else is pure blasphemy. Plain and simple!
wow, what a refreshing viewpoint. I like originality, even I don't agree with you 100%.

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am catholic by the way. I rarely quote scripture. That is partly because I don't have the knowledge of many good CF members who are raised on the Bible as the number one authority.
But I see my role in helping a fellow human being as first, being there for them. As an equal. Not as their scripture quoting superior. As if the OP's lack of knowledge of scripture is contributing to the problem.
See them first as fellow travellers. Don't condescend to them as if you are closer to Heaven , as if you have some special access to God's real intentions. Remember the importance of humility? Giving advice still requires humility. Didn't Jesus emphasise the value of humility?

That's a really good question. This is similar to many of the questions that are being raised in the Christian counseling class I am taking in seminary right now.

I guess it all depends on who you are talking to. The title of the thread asked specifically about giving "Christian advice," so I am assuming you are going to be giving advice 1) as a Christian 2) to a Christian 3) who wants particularly Christian advice. So, to answer your question, I would say no, it is not necessary to quote Scripture. However, I do think it is many times good to reference Scripture, but I do not think it is absolutely necessary without exception. I have been given some wonderful and helpful advice by Christian brothers and sisters on many occasions which contained no Scripture passages or aphorisms. I think the Holy Spirit gives his people wisdom for such occasions.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"The heart is deceitful."

I've learned that by experience, but if I'd paid attention when I first read it, I'd have suffered less. I think the real problem with the heart is that it's so easily deceived, then once deceived, it proceeds to deceive.
I mean more than emotions. Of course our emotions are dangerous.
But the mind and thoughts get us into trouble too.
Assuming there is love in our hearts, God wants them.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You found out from the Sacred Scriptures. Now you can share that understanding with others and be able to tell them the fount in which you drank from as they too can take in this living water (John 4).

That's this Sunday's reading.

Third Sunday of Lent

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
However, I do think it is many times good to reference Scripture, but I do not think it is absolutely necessary without exception. I have been given some wonderful and helpful advice by Christian brothers and sisters on many occasions which contained no Scripture passages or aphorisms. I think the Holy Spirit gives his people wisdom for such occasions.
I think the fruits of us reading the Bible and understanding the important messages will show in the way we respond as a human being who seeks our advice.
Ask yourself, what is the tone of my post? Am I being too proud of my knowledge? Am I really trying to help?
We have to dig deep, to make sure we aren't just giving superficial lip service instead of really valuable advice from a Christian perspective as a fellow traveller. A fellow sinner.

• Agree
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think the fruits of us reading the Bible and understanding the important messages will show in the way we respond as a human being who seeks our advice.

Absolutely. You hit the nail right on the head.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Everyone therefore who hears these words of mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man, who built his house on a rock. The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it didn't fall, for it was founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of mine, and doesn't do them will be like a foolish man, who built his house on the sand. The rain came down, the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell—and great was its fall. Matthew 7:24-27

I agree. Being Christian isn't about knowing the Word, but about living by the Word.
That sounds pretty wise to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,865.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Lol i thought this was christian advice forum, not debate. If you read the rules for this particular forum its for those seeking christian advice and NOT DEBATE.

So ask the mods to move it elsewhere since you OP are clearly not even seeking christian advice. You just wanna argue.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If I have any wisdom, that comes from the Lord, and not from myself.
I take the credit for my. wisdom. Why don't you? :)
(lightning strike!!) God, sorry, I promise to give you the credit next time. OK?

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Lol i thought this was christian advice forum, not debate. If you read the rules for this particular forum its for those seeking christian advice and NOT DEBATE.

So ask the mods to move it elsewhere since you OP are clearly not even seeking christian advice. You just wanna argue.

Maybe he wants advice on how to give advice? I think that's the point to this whole conversation.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

I can give you advice if you want GB? :)
But I wont be quoting scripture.
Likewise you can give me some.

Upvote 0