Is it essential to quote the Bible in order to give good Christian advice?

JesusLivesJesusSaves

Once Saved, ALWAYS Saved Jn 3:16, 10:27-29
Jul 16, 2013
USA
✟18,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am catholic by the way. I rarely quote scripture. That is partly because I don't have the knowledge of many good CF members who are raised on the Bible as the number one authority.
But I see my role in helping a fellow human being as first, being there for them. As an equal. Not as their scripture quoting superior. As if the OP's lack of knowledge of scripture is contributing to the problem.
See them first as fellow travellers. Don't condescend to them as if you are closer to Heaven , as if you have some special access to God's real intentions. Remember the importance of humility? Giving advice still requires humility. Didn't Jesus emphasise the value of humility?

Jesus lives in our hearts, not in a book. Plain and simple. If He is not guiding us, satan automatically is; whether you are reading/quoting from a bible or not. I say, without hesitation, that the bible is probably the WORST thing that has happened to Christianity. I am not saying there isn't truth in it, but it has been used by Christians as their "god" rather than just as a tool. It is not now, nor has it EVER been the "ultimate authority". That title belongs to JESUS and JESUS ALONE! Giving that title to anything else is pure blasphemy. Plain and simple!

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I avoid law verses grace threads. James gets used a lot in those debates.

Psalms 119:29 Keep me from deceitful ways; be gracious to me and teach me your law.

The fundamental misunderstanding is in thinking of it in terms of law versus grace.

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am catholic by the way. I rarely quote scripture. That is partly because I don't have the knowledge of many good CF members who are raised on the Bible as the number one authority.
But I see my role in helping a fellow human being as first, being there for them. As an equal. Not as their scripture quoting superior. As if the OP's lack of knowledge of scripture is contributing to the problem.
See them first as fellow travellers. Don't condescend to them as if you are closer to Heaven , as if you have some special access to God's real intentions. Remember the importance of humility? Giving advice still requires humility. Didn't Jesus emphasise the value of humility?

Hi Paul, "Is it essential to quote the Bible in order to give good Christian advice"? Yes! And we are called to do so, for we are our Brothers keeper, not because we are better, one who thinks they are better for doing so, is like the Pharisee who was in the Temple who who claimed he was righteous, while he was looking down on the other.

However, what is more essential to do and teach also to others, is to Listen to the One Church that brings scripture/bible ALIVE LITERALLY meaning the Eucharist where the bread and wine become at the consecration of the Mass the Body and Blood of Christ, that we eat and drink, that we may have life and the rest of the Sacraments that are contained in Scripture. The Church who has compiled the Bible and who has the correct interpretations of the bible, all by the Power of the Holy Ghost, having no errors in its teachings. We must remember Jesus did not Establish a Bible Jesus Christ established a Church founded on Rock.

Having the Bible without the one Church who compiled it, leads to chaos with many, many different incorrect interpretations, this chaos began in the 15th century and sadly continues to the present day, as you already know.

Having both the One Church and the Bible, we are then guided by the Holy Ghost, this we must teach.

There is no other Church that brings Scripture/Bible ALIVE, like the One Church that was founded on Rock and the Most Important is the Eucharist, the center piece of the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Im no theologian. I didn't go to bible college. I educated myself, with the help of this website, and God teaches me what i need to know. I need the Word. Im thankful to God for the word. Everyday im reminded by the Spirit and he quotes the scriptures to me. Jesus actually promised his disciples that very thing in John 14. I dont quote the word just for others, but myself too. The word just comes to me and i quote it. No harm in that.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ik a guy who was in jail for a while and now he's a deacon and he never read much while in jail and stuff , as a result he doesn't memorize scripture as well as some but he still has a knowledge of it. Some people are not good with scriptures but good with bible history, I'm good with scripture for example but I'm terrible in general when it comes to names. I might say this person in the Bible did this but not know his name. But I can memorize scriptures and quote them when I preach or give advice like it's nothing. Some maybe know all kinds of Greek and Hebrew terminology but maybe struggle with stories for example. Everyone has a strong area and a lack luster area. The Bible says to walk in spirit and in truth, you're right you don't have to quote scriptures in your head not everyone can do that. If you remember a story or passage from the Bible that can help someone bring it up and I promise you it can help change a life. But we are expected to at least have a biblical knowledge however that may be whether by history, scripture, understanding of biblical chronology order etc.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus lives in our hearts, not in a book. Plain and simple. If He is not guiding us, satan automatically is; whether you are reading/quoting from a bible or not. I say, without hesitation, that the bible is probably the WORST thing that has happened to Christianity. I am not saying there isn't truth in it, but it has been used by Christians as their "god" rather than just as a tool. It is not now, nor has it EVER been the "ultimate authority". That title belongs to JESUS and JESUS ALONE! Giving that title to anything else is pure blasphemy. Plain and simple!

That isn't what Jesus taught though. He quoted Scripture almost constantly. The Bible is the way we get to know God. Without His Word, we'll end up with some random false religion.
Yes, some people use it wrongly, but don't you think that you are overreacting just a tad when you say that the Holy Word of God, breathed and inspired by the Holy Spirit, which Jesus and the apostles lived by, is the WORST thing to happen to Christianity?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

The issue is between whether tradition of men or the Bible has the higher authority, not whether the Bible or the traditions of men have higher authority than Jesus. You could probably make the case that the abuse of the Bible is the worst thing to happen to Christianity, but not the Bible itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would argue the way the Bible is viewed and used is the worst thing... but the Bible ironically predicts and talks about the Bible being misused and wrongly understood so it's supposed to happen anyway. Also we know the word was made flesh.. (Jesus) so how can you hate on the mind of Christ? We are told to study the word and walk in truth. We are told this is the word by which the gospel is preached unto us. How could you call it the worst thing??? I would argue it's the best thing.. without it we wouldn't know anything about Christ and how to live and what to do. We wouldn't have the apostoles doctrine which we all should live by in the NT.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Hi JLJS, how would we know who Jesus is w/o the Bible, or what He was like? And how would we know that it's Jesus leading us (rather than Satan) if we don't know anything about Him or what He expects of us?

Also, do you actually know Christians/have some examples of Christians who have set God aside and decided to worship their Bibles instead of Him?

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I believe that God has the highest authority, not the Bible.

For example, if the Bible was written by God... it would have absolutely no contradictions.

Contradictions?

• Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

The Times

Feb 9, 2017
Australia
✟90,081.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

It is very hard to go to others to show them the importance of humility and to emphasise the value of humility if you don't refer to the Biography of the Great Grandmaster of humility Jesus Christ.

After all what did the Holy Ghost lead Philip to do in the Acts of the Apostle?

Please read below and reflect......

Acts 8:26-40English Standard Version (ESV)
Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch
26 Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Rise and go toward the south[a] to the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” This is a desert place. 27 And he rose and went. And there was an Ethiopian, a eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure. He had come to Jerusalem to worship28 and was returning, seated in his chariot, and he was reading the prophet Isaiah. 29 And the Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and join this chariot.” 30 So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?”31 And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. 32 Now the passage of the Scripture that he was reading was this:

Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter
and like a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he opens not his mouth.
33 In his humiliation justice was denied him.
Who can describe his generation?
For his life is taken away from the earth
.”

34 And the eunuch said to Philip, “About whom, I ask you, does the prophet say this, about himself or about someone else?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with this Scripture he told him the good news about Jesus. 36 And as they were going along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?”[b] 38 And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down into the water, Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him. 39 And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord carried Philip away, and the eunuch saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing. 40 But Philip found himself at Azotus, and as he passed through he preached the gospel to all the towns until he came to Caesarea.

You would be up against it if you think you can teach humility by your own solo efforts and solo works, if you don't have the biography of the King of humility and righteousness to refer to, to give evidence to your claim of humility. No different to making claims in essays by citing references as evidence. In fact all literary text, whether spoken or written need to be referenced and Philip in the Acts of the Apostle is a perfect example of the evidence on hand to refer to, to verify the act of humility, not our humility but Christ's humility through us as his witnesses.

To minister the gospel of Jesus Christ, you need to have his biography in your right hand and use it as your sole reference to your faith, otherwise who is to say that your claim of humility is verifiable and from what source it is.

Is your humility verifiable in Christ Jesus?

If so, show them his biography, give them scripture that testifies of the Great Grand Master of humility.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I believe that God has the highest authority, not the Bible.

For example, if the Bible was written by God... it would have absolutely no contradictions.

It doesnt matter if one perceives contradictions, because in the end the scriptures guide us, via the Holy Spirit. The spirit teaches us all things, just as it did for the disciples. As James said, if any person lacks wisdom, let him ask God. If however we admit we need wisdom, then we would naturally meditate on the scriptures. Meditation is key. David meditated on the Word, and the Apostle Paul teaches us to meditate on good things, and things he taught us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well yeah, let's not start ignoring the fact that if you go to certain atheist websites, they will list many "apparent" contradictions in the Bible.
Atheists insisting that there are apparent contradictions in the Bible :scratch: Say it ain't so Brother ^_^ :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0