Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fight with me? This is a forum. We debate. You can present your ideas and opinions and the rest of us will comment accordingly. But yeah, you're right. We don't stand on ceremony too much. Convict heritage and all that. Don't so much as call a spade a spade. More likely to call it a ***** shovel.

Did you get turned down or decide not to come because of our lack of social graces?
this is for me to know, and for you to wonder. see lack of social graces.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The lack of compassion is the whole point for his fervent supporters.

Funny, I don't recall his supporters stating that they liked his "lack of compassion".

It would not surprise me that his latest stunt was highly damaging to his reputation among the growing Venezuelan population in Florida.

Well luckily, they're Venezuelan....so they won't be voting.
I'm hoping people see through his veiled pandering and dog whistles to bigots and realize its a deflection from addressing real policies.

I don't see a lot of pandering....nor any dog whistles. I think it's far easier to find examples of him standing on his principles than examples of him pandering to the whims of people he disagrees with for votes.

As for dog whistles....I'm just going to assume that is fictiomal unless you have an example.

Charlie Christ is a likable person

Never heard of him.

and like Biden he has been a centrist focused on majoritarian politics rather than wedge issues.

Biden hasn't been a centrist. He's pushed far left policy, appointed more radicals and racists than any president in memory, and abused federal agencies by using them to silence critics and go after political opponents.

There's nothing moderate or centrist about him. I'll admit though, this could have more do with the far left skewing the Democratic Party so far from the center that perhaps Biden appears centrist from their perspective.

• Winner
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
well i almost immigrated there, researched it out so yah I know a thing or two. you seem to be a bit hostile, evasive and defensive. attack, attack, attack. I am better, I know better, you know nothing, seems to be your gig. If that is they way you are going to play then you will get one of two reaction I will either ignore you or I will fight with you, but I won't take your kicks in the teeth. It seems to be the Australian way to lack certain social graces and think it is a virtue. we call it being a Hillbilly here.

I had never heard that until very recently....the idea of Australia being the redneck/hillbilly section of the English speaking world.

I can't speak to it's veracity of course....never been there.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
If anyone thinks Desantis is going to lose in Florida they are loving in wonderland. The Floridans as a whole love what he has done there. There are liberals in Florida too. And like all libs they won't like him. Just like all the conservatives in California or New York don't like their governors.

Florida has a huge influx of conservatives because they love what is happening there. And it's a great state. Deaantis will be governor and I hope a president some day.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,521.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If anyone thinks Desantis is going to lose in Florida they are loving in wonderland. The Floridans as a whole love what he has done there. There are liberals in Florida too. And like all libs they won't like him. Just like all the conservatives in California or New York don't like their governors.

Florida has a huge influx of conservatives because they love what is happening there. And it's a great state. Deaantis will be governor and I hope a president some day.

He's considered a front runner for the Republican nomination. Ignoring the elephant in the room for the moment, how would it affect the Republican's bid to oust Biden if deSantis loses the governorship? If their number one pick is rejected in a solidly Republican state?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess we can only trust the ones that show him leading.

While that's probably the approach a lot of his staunch supporters are going with, there is a nugget of truth with regards to being skeptical of certain polling techniques and taking them with a grain of salt.

The poll, conducted by The Political Matrix/Listener Group, showed Crist gaining an incremental advantage of 50.6 percent of the 714 respondents polled.

But here, too, the methodology is dubious, with the pollsters themselves noting that it sampled "likely voters" via landline calls. Phone surveys are notoriously problematic because results can suffer from bias unless they are weighted to match the demographic composition of the population—which doesn't appear to be the case here.

Meanwhile, the majority of other polls, past and more recent, still have the current governor in a comfortable lead.

A February-March poll by Saint Leo University gave a whopping 16-point advantage to DeSantis.

A University of North Florida poll had an even bigger margin in the governor's favor, giving him a 21-point lead ahead of Crist.

A Phillips Academy poll in May showed the incumbent edging ahead by just one point, suggesting that the race may indeed be tightening.

According to polling aggregator RealClearPolitics, DeSantis leads Crist by an average of 8.8 percent, and Fried by 13 percent.

If you know Florida, it's a safe bet that DeSantis isn't going anywhere (unless he decides shift his focus more towards running for president and voluntarily steps away from his governor duties)

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This latest poll shows Crist ahead by 6%--53% to 47%. Another shows them even, and all show him gaining on DeSantis.

I am glad that they seem to be standing up to a governmental style I can only describe as "bullying." They are fed up with stunts like traveling to Texas, misleading migrants into getting on to their private plane, and dropping them off on a small, isolated New England island without notice.

The fallout began when DeSantis started dictating what schools could and couldn't do, trying to weed out progressive teachers and professors, etc. Reactions to the Dobbs decision also took their toll.

And now a catastrophic hurricane threatens to land on one of Florida's largest cities--Tampa, with 400,000 residents and many more in its metro area. When Republican governors encounter Democratic mayors in these situations there's generally a lot of attempts to shift blame on both sides.

As a faraway observer, DeSantis seems to be an individual who has a lot of trouble showing compassion.
Ron DeSantis Trails Democrat Charlie Crist in New Poll After Migrant Flight (msn.com)

Going to an unbiased source:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/e...florida_governor_desantis_vs_crist-7324.html#!

Capture.JPG

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what there is to dislike about him. Hmm maybe I should reword that. Not him but his politics. IS his state doing better or worse? The people for the most part are very happy. Just picking a month here and there proves nothing. See I am looking from 2021 to now and that shows something different then what the left says. Its like watching CNN say he never gave the warning fast enough yet to hear from those that gave the warning.. we warned them but some people didn't want to leave.

Just because hes Rep means nothing to me. Never followed the man so.. I look at what has been done as in actions, effects.

Upvote 0