Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and former governor of South Carolina Nikki Haley argued in separate campaign stops last week that extending clemency to Trump would be in the country’s best interest. Both had previously signaled they were leaning toward issuing a pardon, but their recent statements were the most definitive yet and left little room for doubt just weeks before the first nominating contests in January.

“I would pardon Trump if he is found guilty,” Haley told a crowd in Plymouth, N.H., on Thursday.

DeSantis, who has blamed Trump’s dominance in the polls in part on the string of criminal indictments, said Friday that he would pardon a convicted Trump because “we got to move on as a country.”

“It’s like Ford did to Nixon,” DeSantis said, referencing Gerald Ford’s 1974 pardon of disgraced former president Richard M. Nixon. “Because you just, you know, the divisions are just not in the country’s interest.”

[In contrast] A pardon for Trump, Christie said on Friday, would signal “two systems of justice: One for all of us and one for the most powerful.”

[Ramaswamy vowed to pardon Trump this summer.]

Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
The country's best interest is to see justice done, and Trump punished for his crimes. I would consider anybody who pardons Trump after the potential convictions as enablers of chaos and destroyers of the rule of law.

Upvote 0

crixus

the truth shall set you free
Nov 13, 2012
California
✟62,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The country's best interest is to see justice done, and Trump punished for his crimes. I would consider anybody who pardons Trump after the potential convictions as enablers of chaos and destroyers of the rule of law.
Thank you! I feel the same way. And justice for ALL.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and former governor of South Carolina Nikki Haley argued in separate campaign stops last week that extending clemency to Trump would be in the country’s best interest. Both had previously signaled they were leaning toward issuing a pardon, but their recent statements were the most definitive yet and left little room for doubt just weeks before the first nominating contests in January.

“I would pardon Trump if he is found guilty,” Haley told a crowd in Plymouth, N.H., on Thursday.

DeSantis, who has blamed Trump’s dominance in the polls in part on the string of criminal indictments, said Friday that he would pardon a convicted Trump because “we got to move on as a country.”

“It’s like Ford did to Nixon,” DeSantis said, referencing Gerald Ford’s 1974 pardon of disgraced former president Richard M. Nixon. “Because you just, you know, the divisions are just not in the country’s interest.”

[In contrast] A pardon for Trump, Christie said on Friday, would signal “two systems of justice: One for all of us and one for the most powerful.”

[Ramaswamy vowed to pardon Trump this summer.]
Another reason not to vote for them.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
“Because you just, you know, the divisions are just not in the country’s interest.”
It must be all the other divisions that they and Trump foment that are in the country's interests.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Thinking of the obvious parallel, I think Ford was trying to 'spare the nation' the sight of seeing a former president indicted and on trial. In the current case, that ship has already sailed.

The only thing a future pardon of a convicted Trump would spare is Trump's imprisonment.

(There may still be some value in pouring oil over troubled waters.)

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if the convictions are evidence of enabling chaos and destroying the rule of law? Would all those involved be unpardonable?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. Sadly a lot of people wanted what Trump did to happen.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What if the convictions are evidence of enabling chaos and destroying the rule of law?
That specifically does not keep anyone from serving as president.
Would all those involved be unpardonable?
No. What law do you think that breaks?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
What if the convictions are evidence of enabling chaos and destroying the rule of law? Would all those involved be unpardonable?
I am pretty certain the Presidential federal pardon is a privilege unbound by stipulations. The best scenario is a state conviction in Georgia because a President does not have the power to pardon state convictions, and Georgia's pardon process is done by committee (not governor) and consideration is determined five years after the sentence has been served.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
What does Trump have over these people? Wouldn't Ramaswamy be the youngest president in history if elected? Why wouldn't you focus solely on that? Why worry about what Donald's doing?

Politics... I don't understand you.

Alot of the Republican based can't let Trump go. It's become an irrational cult of personality.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
Alot of the Republican based can't let Trump go. It's become an irrational cult of personality.

Granted, the entertainment Trump provides is top tier, and the debates Trump and Biden will have will be pure gold, but it stops becoming funny when the reality kicks in. The Republicans should know better.

All they're doing is knocking themselves out of contention just by acknowledging him.

I've always had the states in my sights as a legitimate country to move to, and I cross the pond every year. So I take a local interest. Ultimately, I want to see a president be a success. You don't want a pantomime.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What does Trump have over these people?
A devoted following that those candidates speaking of pardoning him are trying to appeal to as they are really campaigning for the vice president spot on the trump ticket.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,577.00
Faith
Christian
A devoted following that those candidates speaking of pardoning him are trying to appeal to as they are really campaigning for the vice president spot on the trump ticket.

Makes sense.

It's a bit shady though, and possibly harmful to their careers in the long run.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's a bit shady though, and possibly harmful to their careers in the long run.
I doubt it will be. Should Trump fall off the board for one reason or another I can see alot of people who licked his boots for political points pretending that never knew the man.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟161,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The President has the ability to pardon people of any federal crime, even before they're found guilty or even before they're charged (e.g. Andrew Jackson in 1868 gave a blanket pardon to anyone who was guilty of treason due to the Civil War), with the sole exception being they can't pardon someone for impeachment; there has been some arguments as to whether the president can pardon themselves of crimes (they can't pardon themselves for impeachment, obviously, the question is whether they can pardon themselves to stop themselves from being tried in criminal courts).

Presidents can't pardon anyone for state crimes, though. Only federal.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nice display of ‘leadership’ from the right.
These people will follow the maga crowd off a cliff if they feel there’s a slight chance at second place at the bottom of the ravine.

Upvote 0