Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Federal Government shouldn’t have a Department of Education because Madison didn’t think about it?
Certainly he thought about it, as did others.
From time.com:
As James Madison, the father of our Constitution, remarked: “a popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy.” Thomas Jefferson similarly argued that governments “deriv[e] their just powers from the consent of the governed,” but that it is education that makes that consent possible. President Washington, in his last annual message to Congress, added that expanding education was essential to the perpetuation of nation’s common values and the chance of a “permanent Union.”

How are we to keep track of how well each State is educating their citizens’ kids?
Why is it "our" responsibility? It's "their" citizens we're talking about, as you yourself are saying. Now, dont get me wrong. Education is a necessity fir anyone to survive in life, and an educated citizenry is foundational to a government like ours. The problem comes when the government educates to a certain end that is not in keeping with a moral and godly standard. And we have rejected the government's responsibility to do so, leaving us with a godless and immoral populace. Did our founders anticipate this problem?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why is it "our" responsibility? It's "their" citizens we're talking about, as you yourself are saying. Now, dont get me wrong. Education is a necessity fir anyone to survive in life, and an educated citizenry is foundational to a government like ours. The problem comes when the government educates to a certain end that is not in keeping with a moral and godly standard. And we have rejected the government's responsibility to do so, leaving us with a godless and immoral populace. Did our founders anticipate this problem?
Our government is required to not give preference to any god or religion.

• Winner
Reactions: Green Sun
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Certainly he thought about it, as did others.
From time.com:
As James Madison, the father of our Constitution, remarked: “a popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy.” Thomas Jefferson similarly argued that governments “deriv[e] their just powers from the consent of the governed,” but that it is education that makes that consent possible. President Washington, in his last annual message to Congress, added that expanding education was essential to the perpetuation of nation’s common values and the chance of a “permanent Union.”

We should start an Education thread, rather than derail this fine discussion.

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Our government is required to not give preference to any god or religion.
Really? The constitution says the government is not allowed to give preference to any god? Can you show me that?

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟99,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We should start an Education thread, rather than derail this fine discussion.
The point was a minor part of a discussion about what things the US government should have jurisdiction over. You are welcome to start a thread on education. Tag me if you do.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Really? The constitution says the government is not allowed to give preference to any god? Can you show me that?

There is the "religious test clause" and the "establishment clause". Are you not aware of these? If not, why not?

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Should Trump fall off the board for one reason or another I can see alot of people who licked his boots for political points pretending that never knew the man.
Just as the GOP is now claiming J6 never happened and even if it did, Trump had nothing to do with it. Reality is what you make of it!

Upvote 0