Aspiring Musician
Oct 13, 2003
Virginia
✟10,268.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
File sharing isn't, just free sharing of copywrited software, movies, songs, and games are. I used to download alot of stuff, but I recently stopped. After all, how is it different from stealing? True, most of the stuff downloaded( songs, movies, game) wouldn't really bankrupt the company, but that still doesn't make it right.

Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Christian24 said:
Whats your opinion? God Bless!
It depends on the file, and what the other person has- for instance if it's been released as free by the creator of the piece, then it's not stealing. Also if the other person has already bought the piece (say like on tape) and then downloads it, it would not be stealing. but that's the only cases of that this one can think of where it is not stealing.

Upvote 0

Bohemian

Aspiring Musician
Oct 13, 2003
Virginia
✟10,268.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blackmarch said:
It depends on the file, and what the other person has- for instance if it's been released as free by the creator of the piece, then it's not stealing. Also if the other person has already bought the piece (say like on tape) and then downloads it, it would not be stealing. but that's the only cases of that this one can think of where it is not stealing.
Yeah. I meant that it would be stealing if it was something that was supposed to be bought and wasn't released as public domain.

Upvote 0

krobinson

Nov 7, 2005
✟179.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Christian24 said:
Whats your opinion? God Bless!

From my understanding, sharing music files IS NOT stealing or illegal. I can give you permission to download songs from my server, web site, etc. for free and it is perfectly legal. However, if I charge you to down load those songs that IS illegal.

On the other hand, I can allow you to download music for free but I can charge you to access my server or to use my program that organizes your downloads.

Confusing I know, but to answer you question, to my understanding, it is not illegal to share music files. No different than me making a copy of a cd and putting it in your hand.... as long as i'm not charging you money for it, it's legal.

Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
krobinson said:
From my understanding, sharing music files IS NOT stealing or illegal. I can give you permission to download songs from my server, web site, etc. for free and it is perfectly legal. However, if I charge you to down load those songs that IS illegal.

On the other hand, I can allow you to download music for free but I can charge you to access my server or to use my program that organizes your downloads.

Confusing I know, but to answer you question, to my understanding, it is not illegal to share music files. No different than me making a copy of a cd and putting it in your hand.... as long as i'm not charging you money for it, it's legal.
All the FBI warnings say something to the effect of making any unauthorised copy for any purpose of the material is against the law. Which is punishable by fines and/or Prison.

When a person downloads a piece, that is making a copy of it. for theis to be legal, you need to get that download or making a copy authorised... this usually involves getting money to those with the copyrightts in some way. the same also goes for just burning those same songs or what ever media and giving them to a friend.

Upvote 0

peanutbutter12

Senior Veteran
Oct 14, 2002
✟21,537.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Blackmarch said:
All the FBI warnings say something to the effect of making any unauthorised copy for any purpose of the material is against the law. Which is punishable by fines and/or Prison.

When a person downloads a piece, that is making a copy of it. for theis to be legal, you need to get that download or making a copy authorised... this usually involves getting money to those with the copyrightts in some way. the same also goes for just burning those same songs or what ever media and giving them to a friend.
This is more or less correct. If you own the copyright, you can give it to anyone you want. However, when you buy a cd, you aren't buying the copyright. You are buying the product. That doesn't give you the right to spread it around or give copies away. A copyright is a persons protection from people stealing their property.

Places like itunes don't sell their music for free, they also have to pay the owner of the copyright royalties for selling their product.

CJ

Upvote 0
M

mikeadiddle

krobinson said:

If you own the rights to your songs, you can share them at will. But if you do not own the rights to songs, any duplication is illegal, except for the following.

If you buy an artist's music, the fair use clauses of copyright laws give you the right to copy the music for "your own use and enjoyment." This means you can make a back up CD, copy the songs to your computer or iPod, or even make copies so you have one at home, one in your car, and one at the office.

But copying music to give to a friend or allow someone to download (another name for copy) is not for your own use and enjoyment. It's for another's use and enjoyment. It's the same thing as paying for one person for the buffet and letting your friend eat off your plate. :)

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
kopilo said:
File sharing of copywrited material is not stealing it is pirating!

Pirating and stealing are the same thing.

Oh and to answer the OP, yes it is stealing if the data that is being shared is copyrighted or if it rightfully belongs to someone else who has not given permission for the data to be shared.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Holly3278 said:
Pirating and stealing are the same thing.

No, pirating is copying something that someone has done, you could say stealing the idea, but it is not stealing the object.

If someone were to hack into a company copy a file to their computer then delete is on the companies computer that is more like stealing.

Eitherway they are against the law, or at least should be depending on where you live in the world.

Upvote 0

Komplex001

Nov 10, 2005
✟7,865.00
Faith
Protestant
I have had issues with this as well. I don't understand how downloading something that is being shared with others is wrong? How can you compare this with acutally physically stealing someone's purse or car or robbing a store?

What about recording something off TV with a VHS tape? Is that a sin? What if there's no way you could purchase an object because it's not sold in stores ever? See alot of this stuff doesn't add up.

Upvote 0

Blackmarch

Legend
Oct 23, 2004
Utah, USA
✟32,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Komplex001 said:
I have had issues with this as well. I don't understand how downloading something that is being shared with others is wrong? How can you compare this with acutally physically stealing someone's purse or car or robbing a store?
how about borrowing without paying back? also is it being shared with others legally? (the everybody does it scenario...)

What about recording something off TV with a VHS tape? Is that a sin? What if there's no way you could purchase an object because it's not sold in stores ever? See alot of this stuff doesn't add up.
the feds are working on that too. although technically with most TV (like cable and satellite) you are paying to watch it.

Upvote 0

Komplex001

Nov 10, 2005
✟7,865.00
Faith
Protestant
There are so many technicalities to file sharing that it's kind of confusing to know whether you are acutally stealing or not. Stealing usually means that the other person doesn't have access to the object. When you are file sharing you are not losing the object. But some people argue that you are stealing the company and artist's chance to get money for their product. What If I ripped something off the TV or a DVD I own to a computer and let people download it from me?

Upvote 0
What If I ripped something off the TV or a DVD I own to a computer and let people download it from me?
Similar if you go to the video store and hire the DVD or VHS, depending on where you are in the world also determins the law, I still think it is wrong (even though I have done it for other people) and would consider it against the law, but then who is going to police it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Komplex001

Nov 10, 2005
✟7,865.00
Faith
Protestant
I read this in the bible.

Matthew 22:15-21 Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. “Teacher,” they said, “we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are. Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?” But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? Show me the coin used for paying the tax.” They brought him a denarius, and he asked them, “Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?” “Caesar's,” they replied. Then he said to them, “Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's.” - NIV

Does this have anything to do with recording or downloading? I'm so confused I don't know what to think anymore.......it's a mixed bag. I don't know if you are acutally stealing profit from a person or not. I don't want to unintentionally sin towards God when I am already trying to follow him. Are you really sinning if people don't even know if downloading is acutal stealing?

Upvote 0
It's a little harsh to hold someone liable to what they do not know is wrong, but chances are that the possibility is there...

The issue I think that makes alot of people confused, is that p2p software is automatically associated with downloading music. When very well you can use the technology for a range of files and you can also upload/give to other people files on your computer.

If a gift is offered freely and you accept it, the the only time you need to worry is if it has been stolen before.

Of course remember that jesus/God has/or will repay your debt if you believe in and allow God/Jesus to.

Upvote 0