Salem, Oregon
✟7,618.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Few people know that before the cable companies got greedy and went to congress, it was legal to receive anything over the air waves if you had the proper receiver. Which is why I think it is ridiculous that I am paying 50 bucks a month for cable, but I still have to watch all the stupid commercials. I could be wrong in the matter of recording shows on vhs, but isn't that what tivo is? Recording shows to watch later? It all falls into the context of what you are going to use the recording for. That is why it is illegal to record ball games and show them for personal gain (e.g. at your sports bar).
as for whether downloading off of the internet is stealing. Cmon!! of course it is. It is not your media. You have to pay for it. Just because you are able to get it for free doesn't make it legal. Think of it this way: what if you wrote a poem or a story. And someone "borrowed" it, and copied it. Then they went out and sold it as their own. By them claiming that they were the author, making millions possibly. uhhhhh... wouldn't that make you hopping mad?

Upvote 0

Komplex001

Nov 10, 2005
✟7,865.00
Faith
Protestant
chizase said:
Few people know that before the cable companies got greedy and went to congress, it was legal to receive anything over the air waves if you had the proper receiver. Which is why I think it is ridiculous that I am paying 50 bucks a month for cable, but I still have to watch all the stupid commercials. I could be wrong in the matter of recording shows on vhs, but isn't that what tivo is? Recording shows to watch later? It all falls into the context of what you are going to use the recording for. That is why it is illegal to record ball games and show them for personal gain (e.g. at your sports bar).
as for whether downloading off of the internet is stealing. Cmon!! of course it is. It is not your media. You have to pay for it. Just because you are able to get it for free doesn't make it legal. Think of it this way: what if you wrote a poem or a story. And someone "borrowed" it, and copied it. Then they went out and sold it as their own. By them claiming that they were the author, making millions possibly. uhhhhh... wouldn't that make you hopping mad?

I use the recorded VHS for private use. I don't go around selling and giving them away.

Upvote 0
Komplex001 said:
I use the recorded VHS for private use. I don't go around selling and giving them away.

So that makes it not stealing? just because one person does it? seriously I am getting sick of this thread going around and around.

Also Komplex001, just because there isn't a warning doesn't mean there isn't a law.. I mean there are no huge signs around the city which say no manslaughter.

Upvote 0

Komplex001

Nov 10, 2005
✟7,865.00
Faith
Protestant
Btw......my cable company wouldn't give us the ability to own a recording program like comcast DVR if it wasn't illegal or right. Still have any other objections? You act like you've never recorded anything with the VCR in your life. You ever stop to realize that alot of creators of TV shows enjoy it when people record their shows off of TV....it means they like the show...and would buy it on DVD if they ever got the chance.

Upvote 0
Komplex001 said:
Btw......my cable company wouldn't give us the ability to own a recording program like comcast DVR if it wasn't illegal or right. Still have any other objections? You act like you've never recorded anything with the VCR in your life. You ever stop to realize that alot of creators of TV shows enjoy it when people record their shows off of TV....it means they like the show...and would buy it on DVD if they ever got the chance.

Cable companies could offer whatever they like with their serivice, they could give you a whole pile DVDs of a show, etc, that really doesn't make it legal or illegal.

Sure creators like their fans, who wouldn't? I know coming from an artist POV I love any feedback good or negative it is to the intensity that I love because then I know it has effected the viewer it has rivaled something within them, it has caught their attenion.

However what about the store owner who might be trying to sell a dvd of a show, what is the point in even making the dvd if there is no want in the market place because anyone who wants a show already has it.

Also in your post you have not specified who you are talking to, I gather it is all of us, which annoys me no end especially when I have stated that I have transcoded dvds, which is completely against the law because you end up making a copy of the original content.

We have stated that copywrited data which is copied or transfered is against the law, so stop trying to justify it through which meathod or media you use.

Upvote 0
Komplex001 said:
You seem to just deny any logic or reason, so whatever. I'm done with this thread.

if you would like to specify who you are talking to, because I know I would find that a direct insult.

(PS: sorry if I am coming across a bit harsh, just a little annoyed with something else atm)

Upvote 0

Komplex001

Nov 10, 2005
✟7,865.00
Faith
Protestant
I was talking to you, and basically you're saying that half the population of the United States are criminals for something that's been done since the 70s. What do you think the record option on VCR's and DVD players are used for?

Anyways it doesn't matter, since you've obviously concluded everything, and know all. I'm done with this thread and will stop replying.

I've been told alot of different things by different people on this subject and it's hard to know what's right anymore.

Upvote 0
Komplex001 said:
I was talking to you, and basically you're saying that half the population of the United States are criminals for something that's been done since the 70s. What do you think the record option on VCR's and DVD players are used for?

Anyways it doesn't matter, since you've obviously concluded everything, and know all. I'm done with this thread and will stop replying.

I've been told alot of different things by different people on this subject and it's hard to know what's right anymore.

Firstly I am not a know all (in fact that rivals a very core fibre near my soul but I will hold my tongue for the time being, as you admitted to insulting me), I'm sure there are many other parts to file transfering which I have no real idea about, such as mentioning universal law. (of course that is not a hint and a half)

As much as you would like to assume I am attacking half the population of a specific country, do you really think people differentiate that much between country boundaries? (I sure hope not), especially when I attack my own moral & ethicial grounds in the same post! *COUGH*.

The record button I feel is so that you can tape things which you may live feed yourself into a TV screen, kind of like making your own home news video, as weird as that sounds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JediMobius

The Guy with the Face
Jan 12, 2006
Beer City, Michigan
✟10,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
When I download music and movies through p2p, I get a chance to see if they are actually worthwhile enough for me to contribute to the artistry. The way I see it, people with limited income to spend on media are at least hearing or viewing the final artistic outcome. Any musician, director, writer, or any other kind of artist who only produces for money is doing it for the wrong reasons.

Once I finally complete my first album, I would rather 100 people bought it and a thousand heard it, than a hundred buy it and only those hundred hear it.

Upvote 0

Jan 17, 2006
✟124.00
Faith
Christian
File sharing is stealing. It is not stealing from the artist. It is stealing from the RIAA. Once you get signed by a label (except in a few rare cases) you as an artist give up your copyright. The recorded song becomes the property of the label. When people share files, they are preventing the label from making money on that song. When you buy a cd what you are actually buying is a license to listen to the music, nothing more. You can't make a copy and give it to a friend. I disagree with the law in this matter, but it is the law until someone changes it.

Upvote 0

Cathulhu

Jan 21, 2006
Rhode Island
✟7,832.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe It has to be considered stealing so long as the file is copywrited. Just because it is not a solid object does not mean that it still aplies to all rules. I will however note that I feel it is fine so long as you own a legal copy of the file.

Upvote 0

w00dy

just a person
Feb 13, 2006
manchester
✟16,247.00
Faith
Christian
i would think it probably is stealing. i download music and have mixed feelings on the matter.
here are some questions. if a dj uses a file he has unlawfully downloaded, say by "band a", remixes it and produces a more popular song than the original. which then gives "band a" thier biggest hit (with aload of retrospective royalties, fame etc.) would that still be considerd stealing if "band a" accepted it after the fact?

as for torrenting tv proggrammes, i work funny hours and its the only way i can watch some shows. would it still be stealing if the advertising that is originally shown wasnt ripped out of the torrent? or watching a torrented bbc proggramme once (i have a uk tv liecence)

hmmmm... yeah im guilty of music theft arnt i thats a poor counter question... but the tv ones not bad

edit: i make music and have every intention of providing a free alternatative of the stuff i do for those who wish not to pay for it, after all, all it is is sounds and as the lord says you are guilty of what you hear

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

songleader

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
✟15,162.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christian24 said:
Whats your opinion? God Bless!
Point / Counterpoint. Having worked for and worked with record companies for several years, I wanted to offer my opinion on the issue.

It can easily be established that it is illegal to "distribute" any copyrighted material that belongs to someone else, making it "stealing" and thus, sinful in nature.

However, just like stealing is a sin, greed is also a sin. The very nature of the recording industry is based on a few large companies having a stronghold on the industry simply because of an obsolete distribution process - until the Internet came along, the record companies were the only ones who were equipped to get the music to the consumer. And record companies are not generous - according to most recording contracts, the artist only receives between $1.00 and $1.50 PER ALBUM SOLD. Also in most record contracts, record companies "charge" the artist for every penny spent on promotion and marketing for their album - comes directly out of their $1.00 share before the artist sees any compensation.

I'm not saying that two wrongs make a right, it's definately wrong to distribute copyrighted material. I just wanted to say what's not being said enough - the RIAA has been ripping off music artists for years, now they're mad that somebody else is taking a turn at it.

Upvote 0

Komplex001

Nov 10, 2005
✟7,865.00
Faith
Protestant
I seriously doubt God is going to make a big deal of whether or not you found it was ok to download your favorite episode of some old show from the 70's. Love of money is the root of all evil, and companies can be greedy to insane points. You're not going to go to hell either, I think we should use our own judgement in whether it's right or wrong. Most of the time, I always buy the product after I download it.

Upvote 0

dart200

May 14, 2006
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Distributing or downloading copyright material is 100% illegal. It's no more legal than going into a store and stealing the physical CD or DVD. (not like i really care though, i still dl games, music, movies).

Recording off the TV or radio (even internet radios) is legal, but i don't know if its legal to strip the ads, there has been controversy over poeple skipping the ads when they record using tvo.

Upvote 0

alphadog808

Aug 21, 2006
Hawaii
Visit site
✟15,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think it's stealing...I used to grab music this way, but don't anymore...I figure how can we say we are living a Christian life when we are doing that...altho..I still have alot of other areas to work on as well...but I guess this one really convicted me...*shrug*

Upvote 0