Is file sharing stealing?

Komplex001 said:
I really think that File sharing music and videos is not stealing. No one loses anything on account of "COPYING". Stealing involves someone being deprived of something. And no one loses any profit. Perhaps if you were making money off the bootlegs, then yes that would be bad. By alot of peoples logic, recording a movie with a blank VHS is "stealing", or recording a song with a cassette off the radio. And what if the Tv show wasn't ever on DVD?

File sharing is no different from recording, the only difference is that the companies for some reason see it as a bigger threat *rolls eyes*. Nothing is at loss, people are always going to buy the media, and they don't lose money.

Maybe if they were acutally being deprived of money and the whole world was rioting in chaos then I would stop. But until then......no sin is being commited, nothing is wrong.

I do not condone acutal stealing and believe it is definitely wrong. But you have to use your brains to know the difference. Stealing from a store or borrowing and never giving back an object, is stealing. Copying something doesn't result in any loss.

=sigh= That is why I said it is pirating, pirating can hurt the companies and consumers a great deal, some people will not buy a something if it is "free" to download.

However there are also the people who download one or two songs by an artist and then buys all their albums. So really it is an unknown to if it is harming any industry, what can be assumed though is that CD and DVD protection is another industry which has been created and may increase the price of music and vidoes as well as creating more jobs.

Upvote 0
Komplex001 said:
I doubt it would hurt a company if I decided to record an entire season of a TV show on VHS instead of buying the DVD set. What difference would it make if I downloaded recordings of the show on a computer?

Well if the only way to get the show in to your contry was to buy it.. that might make a small difference, also if you are to download vidoes off the net, you may be able to download ones that weren't shown on air, and were DVD or VHS exclusive.

Upvote 0
Komplex001 said:
Plus how else do people even get digital downloads of music and movies? TV, Radio, and DVD's and CD's.
Through legal entities/websites which sell mp3s on the internet etc, also buying the discs themselves then transcoding them for backup purposes.

I'm sorry if you don't see the dangers of someone downloading a movie then spamming it out to all their friends and then their friends spaming out the movie to their friends, maybe you need to take part in a pyramid selling scheme to get it.

Upvote 0
Komplex001 said:
Someone said that while it may not acutally be stealing or not exactly hurting any companies, God says we should obey the laws of the government. I'm sure this doesn't include ridiculous laws.

I'm sure preventative laws are ridiculous maybe you should go and discuss that here:http://www.christianforums.com/f447-law-legal-systems.html

I'm also sure God didn't want us to pirate other people out of money, although you can try and rationalise this all you want.

However that is not the point of this thread, in fact we have reached the point already.

Peer To Peer is only illegal if it is used to pirate copywrited material.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Komplex001 said:
I have it figured out. downloading music and movies is illegal and wrong especially since you're not paying for it in any way. It's cheating really. But recording something onto a VHS would not be because you're already paying for the cable an all. There's no fault with that.

Just because you pay for something does not give you the liecence to copy it, in fact that is how some programming companies work, you can buy a copy of their program and to install it on more then one computer you need to buy a liecence..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.