• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Featured is deceving the same thing as lying?

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Cement, Dec 30, 2018.

1. martymonster

martymonster Veteran

+377
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Why do you ask?

2. gideon123

gideon123 Humble Servant of God

+562
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    YES .. deceiving is lying.
    There, was that answer crystal clear?

Plz go to the first Epistle of John. Read the Book! Anyone who does not have truth in his heart - does not have Christ in his heart.

Well said, John!!!
    We need you back on Planet Earth :)

These days lying and deception are so rampant, it is almost impossible to find honest behavior any more. You would be better off trying to define ... Honest Behavior.
    Few people seem to have any idea what it is.

As a simple litmus test, if you are deceiving to gain money, or to gain position or power, then YES you are lying. Do not bother praying to God. First confess your sin, then change your behavior and pray for redemption.

3. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,288
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Good point.....something that they have a right to know.

4. Hank77

+10,288
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Nonsense. God is about behaving righteously in lovingly caring for others. A spouse setting up a surprise party is behaving in a lovingly and caring manner for the most important person in their life, even if they have to set up a cover story to do it.

5. Hank77

+10,288
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Agree.
    Or to harm someone or their character.....

6. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+1,404
    United States
    Catholic
    Single

7. Monk Brendan

Monk Brendan Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,766
    United States
    Melkite Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    Rahab the harlot lied to conceal the Hebrew spies, and is called "righteous" in Hebrews 11.

8. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+11,190
    Christian
    Married
    You were the one going into philosophy. The direction you're going indicts God.

9. Maria Billingsley

Maria Billingsley Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,346
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Welcome to Satan's world,his mo.

mo·dus op·e·ran·di

10. NDL

NDL Member

+91
    Non-Denom
    Excellent application!

I encourage *everyone* to look at the below verses:

Deuteronomy 29:29 - Treasury of Scripture Knowledge

There seems to be an idea among many, that just because someone asks a question, it must be answered.

11. Cement

Cement Active Member

+226
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    I agree we have to take everything into context and thats what matters. People on this thread have said that I was intentionally vague about my question and that was the point. I think you nailed it on the head with this answer was what i was looking for. God Bless

12. Cement

Cement Active Member

+226
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Sometimes the truth is too much to bear on us. Sometimes God does not give us the full gravity of our situation because we are not yet ready for it. Milk for the Babes and Meat for the Strong Men.

13. Cement

Cement Active Member

+226
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    Thankfully its impossible for Satan to deceive those indwelt with the Spirit of Truth. However its true that many Christians are yet lacking in knowledge and wisdom. I do not exclude myself from this category. I wonder many times what I do not know that the Prophets had known.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  14. NDL

NDL Member

+91
    Non-Denom
  15. salt-n-light

salt-n-light Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,433
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Deception is part of lying, but lying isn't exclusive to deception. Deception is really to manipulate an outcome. You can do that telling the truth.

Example:

Lie: Bobby I'm sick and its cold and rainy outside so I can't go out today (while you're not sick)
    Deception: Hey Bobby, I see that its pouring rain outside, so I don't think I should be going out today. Don't wanna get sick.

But yes, if you're leading someone into deception, as in believing something untrue, their blood would be on YOUR hands. So you would be responsible for that.

16. UnprofitableServant

UnprofitableServant ThyWillBeDone

+99
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Without going to deep on the question, "what is truth". All we have to do is look at a situation to determine the truth of the matter. We are usually aware when we are being dishonest or deceiving someone in believing something that is wrong.

Not knowing what 'truth' is, could just be a way to justify someone to not admitting that they used deception.

In peace

17. Just_a_Christian

Just_a_Christian Active Member

+120
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Why would one want to make someone believe something that wasn't "completely" true? One being ashamed of something, downplaying responsibility, attempting to profit somehow...and the list goes on. Is it sin? A half truth is a whole lie and in a sense could be worse than a flat out lie. Is it easier to get someone to believe a bold faced lie or a half truth....the end result being the same. We humans for some reason like to have "degrees" of sin while according to the Bible sin is sin. I once knew a man that had rather climb a tree and tell a lie than to stand on the ground and tell the truth. This man was arrested by under cover cops for propositioning them in the rest room at a local mall, on Sunday mornings he was in the pulpit.

18. Vicomte13

Vicomte13 Well-Known Member

+1,776
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    No more than if you lie down on a bed to give truthful testimony

19. Roidecoeur78

Roidecoeur78 This world is not my home.

+146
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    All lies are deceptions, or at least attempts at deception, but not all deceptions are lies.

20. AfterThought

AfterThought Thirst 2 Given & Know

+20
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I guess it would be easier to hurt someone's feelings then lie to them I'm just taking a different angle on things but i agree with what you're saying