Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Like many I think you answer a rather different question to the one that was asked.
You answer whether the Church can be (or should be) a crutch. ( It can and should as you say.)

The greater question asked was very different.
It was asking whether it was "just a crutch".

I contend It is much more than that, "crutch" which relates to only some of its activities on earth.
It is there to pronounce the kingdom of Heaven and worship Him, for those who have no need of a crutch. God's waiting room. So it is not "just a crutch" which was the question asked.

A pastor at my church gave this wonderful explanation:

What do crutches do? They support the sick and the injured.

What do responsible churches do? They support the sick and injured, both physically and spiritually.

So yes, Christianity is, indeed, a crutch. We are supposed to help people in need, ESPECIALLY with their spiritual needs. As the Lord Jesus Christ has said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick." In this context, these people are sinners looking for redemption and answers, something the Bible provides, as long as it is used RESPONSIBLY.

~Matthew 9:1-13 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 9 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 9 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 9 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 9 - International Children’s Bible

~Luke 5:17-32 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Luke 5 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Luke 5 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Luke 5 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Luke 5 - International Children’s Bible

~Mark 2:1-17 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Mark 2 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Mark 2 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Mark 2 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Mark 2 - International Children’s Bible

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, (I apologize if this post offends anyone)

I know it is tough for people to deal with overwhelming problems that can arise in life. Nonetheless, when people do deal with these problems, they either:

1. Accept that the problems are happening, and weather the storm without religion (embracing an 'it is what it is' mentality, etc etc).
  2. Or turn to religion (in this case, Christianity) to find assistance or answers from God (Why did this happen? I need help, etc etc).

To be honest, I have stopped praying to God altogether for help and answers to the difficult problems in my life lately, mainly because I'm happing to notice that people who aren't Christians seem to be doing just fine doing things themselves (if that makes sense?) Moreover, I have been experimenting with just relying on myself (which some people may call being prideful about oneself).

So the overall question is: is Christianity, just a crutch for people?

Jesus isn’t a crutch - he’s the entire hospital including the ER and ICU.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

I know it is tough for people to deal with overwhelming problems that can arise in life. Nonetheless, when people do deal with these problems, they either:

1. Accept that the problems are happening, and weather the storm without religion (embracing an 'it is what it is' mentality, etc etc).
  2. Or turn to religion (in this case, Christianity) to find assistance or answers from God (Why did this happen? I need help, etc etc).

To be honest, I have stopped praying to God altogether for help and answers to the difficult problems in my life lately, mainly because I'm happing to notice that people who aren't Christians seem to be doing just fine doing things themselves (if that makes sense?) Moreover, I have been experimenting with just relying on myself (which some people may call being prideful about oneself).

Is Jesus a crutch? In a way, yes.

As the Lord Himself has put it: “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.” (Mark 2:17)

On its own, this statement would imply that only those who are morally deficient are in need of a saviour, while those who are not can live by simply relying on themselves. On the other hand, the Bible also teaches that, "There is none righteous; no not one." (Romans 3:10) and that "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23)

Unfortunately, we as people still have the tendency to equate our physical abundance to our moral standing, i.e. wealth, health, physical/emotional fulfillment is a sign of moral superiority and an overall good standing with God, even when there are many evidence that prove otherwise. The Bible itself contains many passages where the prophets bemoan the suffering of the faithful, and the prosperity of the wicked. This does not mean that we should just abandon God and morality altogether and live however we like.

As Christians, we should never forget that the human soul extends beyond the lifespan of our physical body, and we should not be satisfied or feel self-sufficient in the midst of abundant earthly blessings while we let our souls perish, like the Parable of the Rich Fool (Luke 12:13-21).

TLDR, Jesus is a crutch, but there's no human being in this world that can stand upright on their own, and the crutch is necessary for all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

You don't need Christ to have a relatively successful life...

You need Christ to be reconciled to God....

It's not a crutch, it's a simple fact. Do you want to know and worship the God of all creation, true God of true God, or not? That's the question...

As for me I want to sit at the feet of Him who created me...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Real Christianity is not an easy path that's full of all good things we desire, it"s quite the opposite. This world is not what true Christians seek.

We go through trials, tribulations, hardships, changes, processes, sanctification, fiery trials and we fight against our very nature with GOD"a help to become children of GOD.

Our reward for our faith will be eternal life through the sacrifice and blood of Christ. If we forsake GOD and Christ"a sacrifice for us, we will have to stand by our own goodness on judgement day.

Peace be too all those who are, in the Body of Christ

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It certainly does NOT offend me, but worries me that one is troubled because some professing believers in God (calling self: Christian) choose to act and reason in the flesh rather than prayerfully read the Word of God. As a starter I choose to refer REAL seekers to see what God is trying to say to mankind ---note such as John 3; John 14; Romans 8; Acts 4:12; etc; if one might be interested in knowing our Creator-God.

When one has prayed to God over the four GOSPEL BOOKS and sees that salvation, peace, assurance, and eternal security, etc. is found ONLY in receiving the Lord Jesus into their heart as Savior, Lord of their life (and 'best friend') ---walking and talking with Him daily, they will find the "peace that passeth all understanding" as God says. When we receive God's ("so great salvation" in His "...beloved Son" that one will then be "sealed" by the Holy Spirit of God coming into one for comfort, assurance, and blessings here in our sojourn; that until He calls His "bride" ---the Church universal up to Heaven. I will pray for you, friend!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Ok, well, maybe if not a set of crutches, as I get older now, a walking cane, Ok...

In the old days they use call that a staff or a walking stick, or a shepherds rod, etc...

In the case of a shepherd, etc, who had the job of a shepherd, etc...

Anyway,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Ok, well, maybe if not a set of crutches, as I get older now, a walking cane, Ok...

In the old days they use call that a staff or a walking stick, or a shepherds rod, etc...

In the case of a shepherd, etc, who had the job of a shepherd, etc...

Anyway,

God Bless!
They would use that stick for all kinds of things, when they were walking on the road or taking a journey, they might occasionally stop and lean on it to catch their breath or stop and stretch, and as they were climbing, they would use it to give them a push upward and onward, etc, then there was it's uses in shepherding also, etc...

But they took it with them everywhere...

Lifelong companion...

Many different uses...

Anyway...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I use to make and craft staffs, had a crooked willow tree in my yard, and when I would trim it, I would pick out some of the best of the branches, and make staffs or walking sticks out of them, then my life... well... let's just say it got "interrupted" for a little while... but now that things are relatively stable again, I'm thinking about getting back into it again, I'll have to find other places to get good sticks now though, but I have a few ideas...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Gillhooley would come home drunk most every night, and noisily upchuck in the common toilet, awakening the others living in the boarding house. Their patience at an end they placed some chicken intestines in the toilet hoping to shock him into sobriety.

The next morning all eyes were on him as stumbled into the kitchen for the communal breakfast. Sullen and white as a sheet he began,

"Lads, I came home last night in me usual drunken state, and true to me custom I heaved into the toilet. But this time I puked so hard I heaved me guts out, and there they was... floatin' before me in the bowl." After a brief silence his face brightened and he declared cheerfully, "But with halp 'o the Lord, and a long handled stick, I finally poked 'em back doon again."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Do you realize what you are saying? How well do you think those non-Christians will be doing for themselves when they die? Jesus did not come to earth to make you rich! He didn't die because of who you are! HE DIED TO KEEP YOU OUT OF HELL! That is why He died on the cross. It took the man who knew no sin to take on the sins of this world and die in them only to go to hell where satan COULD NOT KEEP HIM. HE KNEW NO SIN therefore He busted hell wide open and made a way for us to go to heaven. Before Jesus came no man went to heaven. Jesus didn't come here for what happens to you in life but for what happens to you in death and if you think for one minute your non-believing friends are going to do ok and be just fine in hell you are sadly mistaken. We are eternal creatures stuck in a mortal body. Why don't people understand that? We were not created originally to be flesh and blood that dies . Sin caused that. Now we have to deal with the body but like a car, you are not your body. When you get in your car and drive around and get where you are going you step out of your car and walk away. One day you will do that with your body. Where is your soul going? You have 2 choices. Tick tock tick tock.

Upvote 0

Jaedan

Take this brother may it serve you well
Jun 30, 2020
Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Do you realize what you are saying? How well do you think those non-Christians will be doing for themselves when they die? Jesus did not come to earth to make you rich! He didn't die because of who you are! HE DIED TO KEEP YOU OUT OF HELL! That is why He died on the cross. It took the man who knew no sin to take on the sins of this world and die in them only to go to hell where satan COULD NOT KEEP HIM. HE KNEW NO SIN therefore He busted hell wide open and made a way for us to go to heaven. Before Jesus came no man went to heaven. Jesus didn't come here for what happens to you in life but for what happens to you in death and if you think for one minute your non-believing friends are going to do ok and be just fine in hell you are sadly mistaken. We are eternal creatures stuck in a mortal body. Why don't people understand that? We were not created originally to be flesh and blood that dies . Sin caused that. Now we have to deal with the body but like a car, you are not your body. When you get in your car and drive around and get where you are going you step out of your car and walk away. One day you will do that with your body. Where is your soul going? You have 2 choices. Tick tock tick tock.

"Jesus did not come to earth to make you rich!"

I don't need Him to. I can do that myself.

"Where is your soul going? You have 2 choices. Tick tock tick tock."

I wish it would go to neither. But I'm supposedly going to heaven (if I follow the instructions correctly).

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"Jesus did not come to earth to make you rich!"

I don't need Him to. I can do that myself.

"Where is your soul going? You have 2 choices. Tick tock tick tock."

I wish it would go to neither. But I'm supposedly going to heaven (if I follow the instructions correctly).
The instructions? What are the instructions? I thought you are saved by God's grace and mercy alone. I have been taught that there is really nothing one can DO to be saved besides be baptized and even then it is not certain. If it was as simple as following instructions, more would be there and I doubt that is where you would be going if you don't want to be there. What would you rather stay here? This place is an absolute dump compared to heaven. Why would you want to make yourself rich?

And again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God. Matthew 19:24

Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.Psalm 73:12

There is one that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing; there is one that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches. Proverbs 13:7

But woe unto you that are rich, for ye have received your consolation. Luke 6:24

How can you get into heaven when you say you have stopped praying and trusting in God? You are watching your unGodly friends who are doing great without God. What does that even mean? Doing great how? Abundance of wealth and the things of this world are not what God wants for you. You are not supposed to love this life of yours. God does not measure your success in a materialistic way. So in death how will your unGodly friends be doing then? You never answered that question. Whose name do you think they will scream for?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jaedan

Take this brother may it serve you well
Jun 30, 2020
Somewhere in the Midwest
✟68,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The instructions? What are the instructions? I thought you are saved by God's grace and mercy alone. I have been taught that there is really nothing one can DO to be saved besides be baptized and even then it is not certain. If it was as simple as following instructions, more would be there and I doubt that is where you would be going if you don't want to be there. What would you rather stay here? This place is an absolute dump compared to heaven. Why would you want to make yourself rich?

And again I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God. Matthew 19:24

Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches.Psalm 73:12

There is one that maketh himself rich, yet hath nothing; there is one that maketh himself poor, yet hath great riches. Proverbs 13:7

But woe unto you that are rich, for ye have received your consolation. Luke 6:24

How can you get into heaven when you say you have stopped praying and trusting in God? You are watching your unGodly friends who are doing great without God. What does that even mean? Doing great how? Abundance of wealth and the things of this world are not what God wants for you. You are not supposed to love this life of yours. God does not measure your success in a materialistic way. So in death how will your unGodly friends be doing then? You never answered that question. Whose name do you think they will scream for?

"The instructions? What are the instructions?"

The Bible... The word of God... The Bible has the gospels written in it, which instructs you on how to get saved.

"Abundance of wealth and the things of this world are not what God wants for you."
So does that mean God is going to prevent me from going to college to study for a degree that is guaranteed to not only get me a thrilling job in the future but a decent, steady wealth as well?

"What would you rather stay here? This place is an absolute dump compared to heaven."
I don't spend my time thinking about heaven. It is nice and all, however, I find there is plenty of other things to think about instead (such as helping people or at least diminishing someone's suffering in what you call a world that is an "absolute dump.")

"Why would you want to make yourself rich?"
I do not want to be rich. I just said that I can make myself rich if I desperately wanted to

"You are not supposed to love this life of yours"
Given the wonderful things and exciting opportunities that I'm receiving in my life at the moment, I do love and enjoy my life (even when I'm in turmoil).

If you are talking about not loving things "in the world" (carnal things, sin, etc,) then yes, that's what good Christians are not supposed to love.

"So in death how will your unGodly friends be doing then? You never answered that question. Whose name do you think they will scream for?"

They will be either not existing at all, or they will be burning in what Christians call hell, screaming for God as they burn and etc etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0