Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The word “ just” is important.

The question “is it a crutch “ , yes it can be.

“Just a crutch” implies that is all it is.

For Christians it is an objective reality. So whilst it can be used as a crutch, that is only because it is real and it can support. So it is not “ just a crutch”

As scientist I also believe the evidence for that reality is overwhelming.
Although I’m not sure this thread is the place for that evidence.

Hi, (I apologize if this post offends anyone)

I know it is tough for people to deal with overwhelming problems that can arise in life. Nonetheless, when people do deal with these problems, they either:

1. Accept that the problems are happening, and weather the storm without religion (embracing an 'it is what it is' mentality, etc etc).
  2. Or turn to religion (in this case, Christianity) to find assistance or answers from God (Why did this happen? I need help, etc etc).

To be honest, I have stopped praying to God altogether for help and answers to the difficult problems in my life lately, mainly because I'm happing to notice that people who aren't Christians seem to be doing just fine doing things themselves (if that makes sense?) Moreover, I have been experimenting with just relying on myself (which some people may call being prideful about oneself).

So the overall question is: is Christianity, just a crutch for people?

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A pastor at my church gave this wonderful explanation:

What do crutches do? They support the sick and the injured.

What do responsible churches do? They support the sick and injured, both physically and spiritually.

So yes, Christianity is, indeed, a crutch. We are supposed to help people in need, ESPECIALLY with their spiritual needs. As the Lord Jesus Christ has said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick." In this context, these people are sinners looking for redemption and answers, something the Bible provides, as long as it is used RESPONSIBLY.

1 Jesus got into a boat and went back across the lake to his own town. 2 Some people brought to Jesus a man who was paralyzed. The man was lying on his mat. Jesus saw that these people had great faith, so he said to the paralyzed man, “Be happy, young man. Your sins are forgiven.”

3 Some of the teachers of the law heard this. They said to themselves, “This man speaks as if he were God—that is blasphemy!”

4 Jesus knew what they were thinking. So he said, “Why are you thinking evil thoughts? 5 Which is easier: to tell this paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to tell him, ‘Stand up and walk’? 6 But I will prove to you that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins.” Then Jesus said to the paralyzed man, “Stand up. Take your mat and go home.” 7 And the man stood up and went home. 8 The people saw this and were amazed. They praised God for giving power like this to men.

Jesus Chooses Matthew
9 When Jesus was leaving, he saw a man named Matthew. Matthew was sitting in the tax office. Jesus said to him, “Follow me.” And Matthew stood up and followed Jesus.

10 Jesus had dinner at Matthew’s house. Many tax collectors and “sinners” came and ate with Jesus and his followers. 11 The Pharisees saw this and asked Jesus’ followers, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?”

12 Jesus heard the Pharisees ask this. So he said, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor. Only the sick need a doctor. 13 Go and learn what this means: ‘I want faithful love more than I want animal sacrifices. I did not come to invite good people. I came to invite sinners.”
~Matthew 9:1-13 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 9 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 9 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 9 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 9 - International Children’s Bible

17 One day Jesus was teaching the people. The Pharisees and teachers of the law were there, too. They had come from every town in Galilee and from Judea and Jerusalem. The Lord was giving Jesus the power to heal people. 18 There was a man who was paralyzed. Some men were carrying him on a mat. They tried to bring him in and put him down before Jesus. 19 But because there were so many people there, they could not find a way to Jesus. So the men went up on the roof and made a hole in the ceiling. They lowered the mat so that the paralyzed man was lying right before Jesus. 20 Jesus saw that these men believed. So he said to the sick man, “Friend, your sins are forgiven.”

21 The Jewish teachers of the law and the Pharisees thought to themselves, “Who is this man? He is saying things that are against God! Only God can forgive sins.”

22 But Jesus knew what they were thinking. He said, “Why do you have thoughts like that in your hearts? 23 Which is easier: to tell this paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to tell him, ‘Stand up and walk’? 24 But I will prove to you that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So Jesus said to the paralyzed man, “I tell you, stand up! Take your mat and go home.”

25 Then the man stood up before the people there. He picked up his mat and went home, praising God. 26 All the people were fully amazed and began to praise God. They were filled with much respect and said, “Today we have seen amazing things!”

Levi Follows Jesus
27 After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector named Levi sitting in the tax office. Jesus said to him, “Follow me!” 28 Levi got up, left everything, and followed Jesus.

29 Then Levi gave a big dinner for Jesus. The dinner was at Levi’s house. At the table there were many tax collectors and other people, too. 30 But the Pharisees and the men who taught the law for the Pharisees began to complain to the followers of Jesus. They said, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?”

31 Jesus answered them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor. It is the sick who need a doctor. 32 I have not come to invite good people. I have come to invite sinners to change their hearts and lives!”
~Luke 5:17-32 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Luke 5 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Luke 5 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Luke 5 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Luke 5 - International Children’s Bible

1 A few days later, Jesus came back to Capernaum. The news spread that he was home. 2 So many people gathered to hear him preach that the house was full. There was no place to stand, not even outside the door. Jesus was teaching them. 3 Some people came, bringing a paralyzed man to Jesus. Four of them were carrying the paralyzed man. 4 But they could not get to Jesus because of the crowd. So they went to the roof above Jesus and made a hole in the roof. Then they lowered the mat with the paralyzed man on it. 5 Jesus saw that these men had great faith. So he said to the paralyzed man, “Young man, your sins are forgiven.”

6 Some of the teachers of the law were sitting there. They saw what Jesus did, and they said to themselves, 7 “Why does this man say things like that? He is saying things that are against God. Only God can forgive sins.”

8 At once Jesus knew what these teachers of the law were thinking. So he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things? 9 Which is easier: to tell this paralyzed man, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to tell him, ‘Stand up. Take your mat and walk’? 10 But I will prove to you that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So Jesus said to the paralyzed man, 11 “I tell you, stand up. Take your mat and go home.” 12 Immediately the paralyzed man stood up. He took his mat and walked out while everyone was watching him.

The people were amazed and praised God. They said, “We have never seen anything like this!”

13 Jesus went to the lake again. A crowd followed him there, and he taught them. 14 While he was walking beside the lake, he saw a tax collector named Levi son of Alphaeus. Levi was sitting in the tax office. Jesus said to him, “Follow me.” And Levi stood up and followed Jesus.

15 Later that day, Jesus ate at Levi’s house. There were many tax collectors and “sinners” eating there with Jesus and his followers. Many people like this followed Jesus. 16 The teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw Jesus eating with the tax collectors and “sinners.” They asked his followers, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

17 Jesus heard this and said to them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor. It is the sick who need a doctor. I did not come to invite good people. I came to invite sinners.”
~Mark 2:1-17 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Mark 2 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Mark 2 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Mark 2 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Mark 2 - International Children’s Bible

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I know it is tough for people to deal with overwhelming problems that can arise in life. Nonetheless, when people do deal with these problems, they either:

1. Accept that the problems are happening, and weather the storm without religion (embracing an 'it is what it is' mentality, etc etc).
  2. Or turn to religion (in this case, Christianity) to find assistance or answers from God (Why did this happen? I need help, etc etc).

To be honest, I have stopped praying to God altogether for help and answers to the difficult problems in my life lately, mainly because I'm happing to notice that people who aren't Christians seem to be doing just fine doing things themselves (if that makes sense?) Moreover, I have been experimenting with just relying on myself (which some people may call being prideful about oneself).

Christianity is a relationship with Christ.
Prayer is about conversation, thankfulness, glorifying and yes also at times asking.
If you all you have is asking then that is a very poor relationship and more like a toddler to an adult with "Why and I want" If you now don't even ask, then what do you have left?
It isn't about what you can get from God but what you can give to God, since God already laid down his life for you. Not to say God won't ever give you what you want, but sometimes what we want isn't what is best or the right time or part of the plan.

Since this is the advice section I would advise that you start thinking about what you are grateful for and thank God for that. Do you have a roof over your head? Be thankful. Things may be bad but often they could be worse, but we often don't see that until they get worse. People whose sole purpose of Christianity is a crutch have missed the point.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I take Paul's advice to us in the Body of Christ in Philippians 4:4-7

4 Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.

5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

I don't pray to God for him to take away the problems. I ignore the advice given by my current Word of Faith church to declare by his stripes I am healed, for example, when it comes to health issues.

Instead, following Paul, I pray for his peace, which passes even my own understanding, that no matter what problems I am going thru, I am suppose to rejoice and be anxious over none of those problems.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The solution is answered prayer. I cover how to do that below.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The problem with people saying that Christianity is a crutch or is like walking with a crutch or on crutches, etc, is that, Jesus came to have us walk without a crutch or crutches, etc, and I think that is very different than saying God is a "strong support" also, etc, like a strong pillar of support, or the cornerstone of a building that is us, etc, or a strong firm foundation that we stand on, etc, key word being here "stand" and "standing", and "standing strong on", etc...

The problem with saying Christianity is for the lame, the poor, the pitiable, the blind, etc, is that Jesus was supposed to fix that when you got saved, if you really are or were truly saved to begin with, etc...

It makes God, and the Christian God, and the God of Christianity, and the Christian religion appear very, very "weak", etc, like it has "no power at all whatsoever", etc, like that scripture says "having a (false) form of Godliness, but denying the power thereof", etc, (because they deny the power thereof, etc)...

Were the first century Christians, like the type I just described in post #40, weak and pitiable people, etc...? Or did they show their God very, very strong, etc...? Cause I think it is the latter, etc, and is what I think Christians lack greatly today... (again, post #40, etc)...

So all the others laugh at us, etc, because most of what they see is very, very weak, and very, very, very "pathetic", etc...

We have to go back back to being like first and second century Christian Martyrs, and people who served both God and others back then, etc, and we are very, very, very far from that today, etc...

We have to be bold without being arrogant, etc, strong without being stubborn, etc, cause that is true strength in the face of weakness, etc...

And I'm hoping it is what we are aspiring to be, etc...

(again post #40)...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Lawrence87

Jan 23, 2021
No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Your point is very well taken. Still, Christianity and most religions are a crutch, in the sense that if they teach that there is an afterlife, then this should give people some sense of hope and peace that there is at least a chance that they might see deceased loved ones again.

I'd say that it is blasphemy to call Christianity a crutch if you are a believer. The whole idea of Christianity being a crutch is based upon the assumption that it is not true. That believers are leaning on an untruth in order to make the harsh realities of life bearable. Christianity is true, to say that it's purpose is to just fool ourselves into having hope and peace is blasphemous. We get hope and peace from it because it is the truth, not because we are kidding ourselves.

Christianity teaches that there is an afterlife because there is one. It's not a pragmatic idea that one uses to trick oneself into feeling good. It's true that is why we believe.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'd say that it is blasphemy to call Christianity a crutch if you are a believer. The whole idea of Christianity being a crutch is based upon the assumption that it is not true. That believers are leaning on an untruth in order to make the harsh realities of life bearable. Christianity is true, to say that it's purpose is to just fool ourselves into having hope and peace is blasphemous. We get hope and peace from it because it is the truth, not because we are kidding ourselves.

Christianity teaches that there is an afterlife because there is one. It's not a pragmatic idea that one uses to trick oneself into feeling good. It's true that is why we believe.
And I would add also, that it is also supposed to a source of strength, and a source of very great strength, and a strength that others should see, and be witnesses to, and/or of, etc, and not a great source of some kind of great excuse for even more continued weakness, and even ever greater patheticness, etc...

So, yeah, to say it is is a crutch, to me, reeks to high heaven of some kind of very great blasphemy, etc...

Great post!

Our hope is not unfounded, and may not really even be hope, at least, not in the way the world seems to define it anyway, because to us, it is rooted in what we know for absolute certainty is 100% beyond any kind of shadow of any kind of doubt, 100% absolutely "real", and 100% absolutely "true", etc...

Again, good post...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Organised religion is, true Christianity is life eternal and supernatural when your heart of stone is turned into a heart of flesh and convicted of sin. Have you came to that point in life where you know your dying without Christ and will never enter Heaven?

How wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?

SermonAudio - Media Player

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Organised religion is, true Christianity is life eternal and supernatural when your heart of stone is turned into a heart of flesh and convicted of sin. Have you came to that point in life where you know your dying without Christ and will never enter Heaven?

How wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?

SermonAudio - Media Player
I feel now probably more than I've ever felt in my life before, but there was also a certain kind of new strength that came with it also as well...

And that change happened, or came about more and more and more, the further I got away from, and became separated from, the world, and the closer I came or got to truth, or the truth, etc...

And now here I am now, etc... Where it will go from here, I do not currently know, but I will continue to follow, etc...

And see where it goes or where it/He leads me from here, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have been experimenting with just relying on myself (which some people may call being prideful about oneself).

God expects us to do all that we can and also acknowledge that we can do nothing without God's help and grace.

It is not a crutch but rather, the acknowledgement of the deeper reality.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"(People say Christianity is a crutch) Christ isn’t a crutch. He’s my legs!”- Bob George

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟180,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If there is no life after death, then Christians are the most of all people to be pitied.

It's the life after death issues that Jesus offers the solutions to, imo.

If a person is having difficulties in life, prayer is good!

Positive psychology and the science of happiness have also produced good results, though some of the things they advocate may not be in harmony with the solutions that Jesus offers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟132,697.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What do you believe?

Most people who leave God then gravitate over to the religion of equality (Church of Woke.) This flips their world upside-down. Hence, their dislike of Christianity.

What does equality even mean?

As far as I can tell, there is no way to stop short of equal stuff for all. This happens, of course, by force.

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

If your relationship with God is a quick mr fixit guy, yes.
Following Jesus is about knowing Him and wanting to follow Him.

Sounds like if people can get there problems fixed elsewhere, you are happy to junk mr fixit.

From my perspective, I would recommend everyone to junk mr Fixit, and to start to listen to the giver of life and love, and letting Him speak to ones heart.

God bless you

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, it is not a crutch, it is the truth.
"All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."
In the larger scheme of things, Jesus crucified, and risen, to save our souls, is what matters - not whether we do just fine down here or not.
Many Christians are worse off, by standards of this world, than non-Christians, because they, we, are in a spiritual battle. Many Christians have lost their lives for the faith. So how we do down here does not determine our faith.
We walk by faith, not by sight.
God is true and man a liar.
'What good does it do if you gain the whole world and lose your soul?'
I have been beaten and battered by this life, and I have believed for over 50 years. Shall I trurn back? No.
Nothing is more valuable than our Lord Christ, who gave his life for me, for us, and nothing I go through even begins to compare to how he suffered for me, so how we do is entirely irrelevant to Christianity.
He who picks up his cross and turns back is not worthy of Him who gave his life for the sins of the whole world.
Believe because it is truth, not because of what God can do for you down here.
And the whole premise of faith relying on 'what God can do for you' just confirms man's sinfulness. God already did it all for us. Now we need to be about what we can do for Him.

Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Start praying again and keep praying to the Father through Jesus. It often takes a long time of persistent prayers that teach us patience.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaedan
Upvote 0