Somewhere in the Midwest
✟61,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Hi, (I apologize if this post offends anyone)

I know it is tough for people to deal with overwhelming problems that can arise in life. Nonetheless, when people do deal with these problems, they either:

1. Accept that the problems are happening, and weather the storm without religion (embracing an 'it is what it is' mentality, etc etc).
  2. Or turn to religion (in this case, Christianity) to find assistance or answers from God (Why did this happen? I need help, etc etc).

To be honest, I have stopped praying to God altogether for help and answers to the difficult problems in my life lately, mainly because I'm happing to notice that people who aren't Christians seem to be doing just fine doing things themselves (if that makes sense?) Moreover, I have been experimenting with just relying on myself (which some people may call being prideful about oneself).

So the overall question is: is Christianity, just a crutch for people?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Okay.

Christian advice: you reap what you sow.

If you choose to test out a path that you know is sinful, kindly do not complain when the inevitable happens.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I know it is tough for people to deal with overwhelming problems that can arise in life. Nonetheless, when people do deal with these problems, they either:

1. Accept that the problems are happening, and weather the storm without religion (embracing an 'it is what it is' mentality, etc etc).
  2. Or turn to religion (in this case, Christianity) to find assistance or answers from God (Why did this happen? I need help, etc etc).

To be honest, I have stopped praying to God altogether for help and answers to the difficult problems in my life lately, mainly because I'm happing to notice that people who aren't Christians seem to be doing just fine doing things themselves (if that makes sense?) Moreover, I have been experimenting with just relying on myself (which some people may call being prideful about oneself).

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Christianity is a crutch, but while standing in the maw of Existential oblivion its presence is an encouragement. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

It might be...for some people, but that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the church. And we have to admit also that all sorts of alternatives are chosen by some people to be that crutch you are speaking of--politics, ethnicity, and so on.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

No.

The message of Christianity is this: That while we were yet sinners, Jesus Christ came in the flesh, laid down his life for us on the cross, and rose from the grave that we who believe in him and follow him might have eternal life. One could say that in the sense of his substitutionary atonement paying our sin debts that we could never pay back is a crutch of sorts, but that doesn't really do justice to the situation (we were dead in our sins, and Jesus gave us life), and it is separate from the question you brought up, if it's just an aid to get through life. Well, Christianity does help quite a few people get through life, but over the centuries it has cost so many Christians comforts and freedoms (some have been truly persecuted and even killed for believing it) that the cost in this life seems to outweigh the benefit in this life. But Christianity isn't just for this life, that's the point. Our true home is Heaven, we live not only for this life but also for the next life.

Furthermore, aside from what so-called "prosperity gospel" people might tell you, you don't get the health and the wealth and comforts of this life by being a good enough Christian. Some things just aren't promised to us, and they may happen, or they may not. Either way, those things that people pursue aren't the point of life. We have a purpose, a duty to God to live our lives according to how he has called us, and we simply have to weather some of those storms. We're soldiers in his army, so we have to soldier on. Sometimes God speaks more specifically to those circumstances, and we should receive that, but other times he does not, and we continue to live as to what he has spoken to us about. So you're ultimately presenting a false choice - accept that bad things happen and live, or turn to religion to get assistance from God. A wise Christian will combine them, and know which of those two hands to use, so to speak.

Is that a crutch? No more so than the non-religious version of #1, and the strategies that the non-religious employ to live by it. If that doesn't qualify as a crutch, Christianity doesn't either. If my presentation of Christianity here sounds like a crutch, then perhaps you should accept that your presented alternative either is a crutch or will require one to bolster it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The church is a ragtag band of believers stumbling our way toward the kingdom. And yes, some of us need crutches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟780,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

You left out #3. Go on living in Christ.

Take a look at Daniel and Joseph, and the completely different POV from which they operated. Their lives were about God, not about them. When things went bad for them, they didn't THEN turn to God. They were there already.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, definitely, but not "just a." Life can be hard with unexpected challenges and disappointments. When one needs something to lean on for support, where better than Christianity?

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

This is one of those sayings/ analogies that back fires and fails, and has done so for decades even though people keep using it.

Generally people use crutches when they are injured and they need them!

I think the more exact thing that is implied by the saying however is something like a "Defense Mechanism" for defective people etc. In some ways I would agree with all of the above.

1 Corinthians 1:27

27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong

I will say there is a danger in holding things and people in contempt. In my college years, I became an agnostic, and dabbled in Eastern thought especially Taoism, and studied psychology especially therapy. Certain kinds of therapy can actually use paradox in various ways and in many ways that is something that we need in life. Which is why these kinds of sayings are foolish to the point of hubris. Most people are limited to how strong, smart etc. they can be. And believing yourself as being too good for Christianity etc. is one of those things that will backfire on you. Because everybody no matter how accomplished fails in some way, or at some time. However realizing your weakness, and seeking grace can give you great strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I understand what you mean. It may be that some people do use Christianity as a crutch, though I don't think they would put it quite that way. I personally don't pray for a lot of things. I deal with most things on my own and only trouble God with the "big stuff". Other people would disagree with that.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Before I was saved, I was sick from alcohol abuse, suicidal and I could see no point to life. Someone told me about Jesus and how He had died and risen again to save me. That was nearly 50 years ago.

6 months ago I was in hospital with pancreatitis. I was in great pain, yet I had peace for the week that I was there. Right now, my dearest friend is in ICU, very ill and there is no diagnosis as yet.

If Christianity is just a religion, it will only be a crutch at best and a pain at worst. To me, it is a relationship with God through Christ. God does not exempt me from the storms of life. But He enables me to ride them out. I come out the other side stronger and wiser - and more dependent on God. Sure, human pride demands independence. That means missing out on a relationship with the One who created us in His image, who wants to be the perfect Father and who wants to meet our every need.

I've tried being independent and I've tried trusting God with my life. No, not a crutch. It's a total new way of life and the best is yet to come.

People seem to do just fine. FINE - Freaked out, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional. If you scrape away the veneer, they are not nearly as stable as they would have you believe. Thoreau said, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation". And he was right.

Upvote 0

xaris

Sep 8, 2020
So. Cal
✟33,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

When being accused of a deadly crime, is having your own lawyer representing you before a judge, a crutch?

1 John 2:1 (KJV) My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,345.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The Christian faith has given hope and encouragement to countless people, sometimes in very desperate circumstances.

Is it a crutch? I would say certainly it is not. Being a Christian does not guarantee that one's life is going to get easier.

In 107, Ignatius, the bishop of Antioch, was thrown to wild beasts for refusing to recant his faith.

"Nearness to the sword is nearness to God; to be among the wild beasts is to be in the arms of God; only let it be in the name of Jesus Christ. I endure all things that I may suffer together with Him, since He who became perfect man strengthens me." (Ignatius of Antioch).

Around the same time, Polycarp was burned alive at the stake. His words were "Eighty and six years have I served Christ, nor has He ever done me any harm. How, then, could I blaspheme my King who saved Me? ... I bless Thee for deigning me worthy of this day and this hour that I may be among Thy martyrs and drink the cup of my Lord Jesus Christ."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dear brother,
don’t close your heart to love Christ.
Despite things that we don’t understand, continue to love Him because He deserves much more than we can praise Him for.

Some people may understand God as religion. Personally, He is life to my dear ones and me. Christ is our promise of resurrection of life; He is very precious to us who wipe our tears.

Dear brother, despite your spiritual eyes being blind, don’t dismiss what you don’t understand. Humble yourself and seek His mercy while He may be found.

Eventually, when your spiritual eyes are opened, you know how grateful you are that you keep the faith. Indeed, our Lord Jesus Christ is kind and forgiving and full of grace toward those who call Him in truth.

I sincerely hope you consider seriously the Lord’s goodness.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christian culture can be a crutch.
I know it is tough for people to deal with overwhelming problems that can arise in life.
So, maybe your real question here is, how do we need to deal with hard problems?

I think there is ministry which has people focusing their attention on how to use God to solve problems. In case someone is only trying to use God to solve problems so the person can live the way that person wants . . . that is self-focused, not good.

What works for me is when I be still and trust God to do what He pleases with me. I do this while I have no obvious troubles getting to me; and when things are getting the better of me, what works the best is if I be still and attentive to God and discover what He has me doing . . . in His peace. And do not trust any thinking or feelings or conclusions which are not creative in God's peace.

So . . . for handling any horrible thing, I do not try to use prayer to get God to answer to me, but I need to answer to God . . . what do you want to have me do with You, please? And He satisfies and guides me . . . after He corrects me > I can be my main problem.

And God is guaranteed to do whatsoever He is really committed to doing with us. So, if evil can mess with something > that can mean that that thing or person or relationship was not guaranteed by God. So, I need to deal with that.

Jesus warns how if we love our lives, we will lose them, right? > John 12:25. So, when I'm in a crunch about something or someone in my life, what works is if I trust all to God >

"casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you." (1 Peter 5:7)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

TJB

Supporter
Feb 5, 2021
London
✟34,749.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I think that's an interesting question, and reading your entry carefully that sense of frustration that people who don't claim to be Christians seem to be flourishing can be discouraging at first. Some of the psalmists echo that frustration.

But then reading some of the thoughtful and generous responses to your question, it may be that people turn to Christ in some sort of Crisis - but that commitment evolves into something deeper ( see Aussie Pete's response for example)

Last year I read a fascinating book called 'Dominion' by English historian Tom Holland, it talks about how Christianity has not just shaped culture but also the Western Mind... fascinating if you get the chance to read it. It has inspired me to start a daily podcast to look at Christian History across denominational lines, and the research and discipline of producing it is a very enriching experience..

So maybe it starts as a crutch, but can grow into something bigger and deeper, huge amounts of psychological research now show how important spirituality is for our mental health....

Hope that is helpful and encouraging ....it is intended to be!

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,623.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So if you were blind and there was a reality where a Great One was offering new functional eyes for everyone or anyone who would want them would you say, "Sorry I don't need those crutches!" Or if you were deaf would you turn down new ears saying the same? Nope having those things you'd not think of as crutches....but things that make you complete.

Or how about mechanical things? If your heater or air conditioning in your car didn't exist would you be saying you don't need those crutches? Or how about the proper kind of oil or gas to use for your engine instead of using a type it wasn't designed to use? If one made light of you asking why you need those crutches I'm guessing you say it's nothing to do with crutches! It really has to do with existing and living in the manner in which the designer intended in order to achieve completion. If you're deficient the greater reality of things is cut off from you. If one doesn't want the great reality of course that's one's choice but the meaning of life eludes them.

Jesus made this statement which YES might offend some but he made it,

He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it. Matt 10:39

In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. Jn 1:4

Men were created to be in fellowship and have the LIFE, and the LOVE of God flowing through and being a part of their spirits and minds. One can never be complete and be in rightful fulfillment without it. Regardless of even how much earthly wealth one has one is empty and deficient without them. Wanting Jesus Christ isn't a crutch. It's LIFE itself!

• Agree
Reactions: Clara Bear
Upvote 0