Is a carnivore diet a best fit for humans?

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟151,533.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My best friend is currently doing this diet. Nothing but animal products; meat, eggs, and dairy. I couldn't make it through this entire video, the guy talks way too slowly and stop-start for me, lol. Care to sum up what he concluded?
You can click on settings - playback speed and make it faster :)

1. Does it provide all the nutrition we need today?
- the carnivore diet seems to have no problem with that, though there is no certain conclusion, yet

2. The human GI tract is more of a carnivore than of an omnivore; its even quite different from apes that are omnivores

3. Herbivores like cows need specific bacteria in their GI tract to make fatty acids from plants and protein they absorb is actually made by the bacteria, not the protein in plants they ate

4. Some of his patients solved their medical problems when they stopped eating plants and went fully carnivores, at least for a short run

5. There may be some concerns about calcium (not if you eat also fish), if you do not eat bones like animal carnivores; every kind of extreme (carnivore, vegan...) diet has pitfalls people should be aware of

6. Good prospective studies needed, but he is open to the possibility that a carnivore diet is good for humans

7. Blood results do not need to be unhealthy just because they are different from the average population (i.e. high carb diet population)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLastGeek
Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You can click on settings - playback speed and make it faster :)

1. Does it provide all the nutrition we need today?
- the carnivore diet seems to have no problem with that, though there is no certain conclusion, yet

2. The human GI tract is more of a carnivore than of an omnivore; its even quite different from apes that are omnivores

3. Herbivores like cows need specific bacteria in their GI tract to make fatty acids from plants and protein they absorb is actually made by the bacteria, not the protein in plants they ate

4. Some of his patients solved their medical problems when they stopped eating plants and went fully carnivores, at least for a short run

5. There may be some concerns about calcium (not if you eat also fish), if you do not eat bones like animal carnivores; every kind of extreme (carnivore, vegan...) diet has pitfalls people should be aware of

6. Good prospective studies needed, but he is open to the possibility that a carnivore diet is good for humans

7. Blood results do not need to be unhealthy just because they are different from the average population (i.e. high carb diet population)
Thank you! I'm going to send this to my friend. He's been doing great and feeling great so far, but I do worry that he may not be getting all the nutrients he needs.

Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,918.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Intermittent fasting (IF) will increase gut bacteria diversity, some of which may be better suited for digesting plant foods.

From experience, my gut was eventually able to digest fiber and other difficult to digest plant parts overnight. We can deduce this to rapid fermentation (bacteria-driven activity). Prior to IF diet, I couldn't and it manifested in gut products.

Because of this, I made very small amount of solid waste whether I ate mostly meat or fiber-rich diet, well below the normal range. It can only mean most of the food I eat is passed down as gas and in liquid form in via urine/sweat.

I strictly try to eat within two meals a day. If a snack could not be helped, a tiny amount of home-made fiber-rich coconut snack is consumed. My longer fasting window of the day is 14 to 16 hrs and absolutely no snacking and no drinking any liquids during this time. I may also do short exercises during this time. I keep these exercise sessions short to avoid sweating to avoid dehydration.

I like to keep my diet options flexible and sustainable. That is basically, I can eat anything edible without messing up my health.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟151,533.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Intermittent fasting (IF) will increase gut bacteria diversity, some of which may be better suited for digesting plant foods.

From experience, my gut was eventually able to digest fiber and other difficult to digest plant parts overnight. We can deduce this to rapid fermentation (bacteria-driven activity). Prior to IF diet, I couldn't and it manifested in gut products.

Because of this, I made very small amount of solid waste whether I ate mostly meat or fiber-rich diet, well below the normal range. It can only mean most of the food I eat is passed down as gas and in liquid form in via urine/sweat.

I strictly try to eat within two meals a day. If a snack could not be helped, a tiny amount of home-made fiber-rich coconut snack is consumed. My longer fasting window of the day is 14 to 16 hrs and absolutely no snacking and no drinking any liquids during this time. I may also do short exercises during this time. I keep these exercise sessions short to avoid sweating to avoid dehydration.

I like to keep my diet options flexible and sustainable. That is basically, I can eat anything edible without messing up my health.
Sure, we influence our microbiome - if we eat too much sugar, we will have microbiome that lives on that. If we eat plants or meat, we will have microbiome that lives on that. And fasting can help us reset and replant this microbiome if we grew a bad one.

But our GI tract is not that of a herbivore. And I think the point of the video was that its not even that of an omnivore, but I am not a doctor to verify, if its true.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,918.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sure, we influence our microbiome - if we eat too much sugar, we will have microbiome that lives on that. If we eat plants or meat, we will have microbiome that lives on that. And fasting can help us reset and replant this microbiome if we grew a bad one.

But our GI tract is not that of a herbivore. And I think the point of the video was that its not even that of an omnivore, but I am not a doctor to verify, if its true.

I think the gut bacteria is able to make up for it and doing a great job so far. In fact, I can't tell the difference in my stools when I'm eating mostly meat vs eating mostly veggies. Even the volume is identical. Which means that for me, even fiber is being digested.

My feeling of wellness is identical now that is after a period of adaptation with intermittent fasting with exercise. I suppose anything is possible. And I really like it better this way. I can eat anything without problem. If meat becomes too expensive, I go veggies. If veggies get too expensive, I go meat.

Upvote 0