• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Ideal Designs for Noah's Ark

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by cloudyday2, Dec 2, 2020.

1. cloudyday2

cloudyday2 Generic Theist Supporter

+2,292
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    Just wondering what would be some ideal designs for Noah's Ark if had been real?

Some requirements:
    (1) Needs stay as level as possible so the animals aren't injured as the Ark reacts to the waves. Some of the animals could be strapped into place for short periods of extreme waves.
    (2) Needs to stay upright and above the surface for access to fresh air.

I wonder if an upside-down dome with lots of ballast might be a good design?

Another thought is a downward-pointing cone? Many ships have a v-shaped hull cross-section and converting that to a circular shape gives a cone.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+2,612
    Atheist
    Private
    Everyone knows the ark was a round boat made of reeds and covered in bitumen. It's right there on the tablet.

3. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+2,623
    Agnostic
    Married
    You appear to be implying that the design specifications given to Noah by God himself are not "ideal". The specs, per a literal reading of Genesis, state very clearly that the ideal construction is a box.

4. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+1,748
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    Rectangular box shape,
    close to something like the illustration

[​IMG]

5. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+5,021
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    According to a certain poster here, the ideal design is a box that's bigger on the inside.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. cloudyday2

+2,292
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    The specifications in Genesis are pretty vague - length, width, and height. That isn't necessarily the brick-shaped design many people claim to have seen on Mt. Ararat.

What is bad about the specification is that the design is not circular when viewed from above. I'm not a ship expert, but it seems that a circle is stronger than an ellipse and a lot stronger than a rectangle.

7. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+2,623
    Agnostic
    Married
    TARDIS

8. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+2,623
    Agnostic
    Married
    I am not going to tell God he is incompetent..... even though the design is incompetent :D.

9. Hans Blaster

+2,612
    Atheist
    Private
    Here is a lecture about it:

From the guy who "found" the document and translated it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. cloudyday2

+2,292
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    Another design possibility might be to take a double-hulled catamaran and convert it to circular form. So it would kind of like a giant tire inner-tube with a circular deck on top. I think that might be more stable in the waves, but it would probably be weaker?

11. cloudyday2

+2,292
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    There was a documentary where they tried to construct a scaled-down replica, but it was pretty leaky because they couldn't recreate a good recipe for the bitumen coating.

12. Hans Blaster

+2,612
    Atheist
    Private
    Maybe it was like a double-hulled tanker? Was Noah the antediluvian Captain Hazelwood?

13. Hans Blaster

+2,612
    Atheist
    Private
    I think it aired on Nova. I was going to post a image from it, but the lecture was easier to post. (It's a great public lecture. Very entertaining with good storytelling.)

14. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+2,623
    Agnostic
    Married
    He didn't find the tablet, it was given to him. But the important point here is that the biblical ark story is not original.

15. cloudyday2

+2,292
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    That design is probably easy to construct.

What about cutting that long box into four boxes and forming a square ring? That would still be fairly simple to construct with lots of right angles, but it would probably be more stable and stronger? It could have an X in the middle of the ring possibly for more strength? There might be a flat deck across the top for people and animals to walk around and get fresh air after the rain subsides.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  16. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+2,623
    Agnostic
    Married
    Why not use polyethylene or reinforced plastic rather than cypress wood?

17. Hans Blaster

+2,612
    Atheist
    Private
    That's why I said "found". If I recall the story correctly (and it's in the first 10-15 minutes of the talk):

He was working at the British Museum and serving a shift as the "receiving officer" (or what ever the title was), the person who deals with people who enter the museum with an object and ask "is this anything". While doing that duty, someone handed him a nearly intact cuneiform tablet with the story on it. He could have looked for decades in the collections or digs for such an object and someone just walks in and hands it to him. Amazing.

(I watched a whole bunch of OI talks at the beginning of the year. Very fascinating.)

18. cloudyday2

+2,292
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    I guess we don't know for certain that the Ark was made of wood. The Hebrew word appears only one time ("gofer") and that is translated as "gopher wood", but it could have been made of anything. ( Gopher wood - Wikipedia )

19. cloudyday2

+2,292
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    I thought he worked at the Smithsonian rather than the British Museum, but I might remember wrongly.

20. Bungle_Bear

Bungle_Bear Whoot!

+2,623
    Agnostic
    Married
    British Museum

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List