Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If Noah stood in front of you with a picture of the ark, you would not believe it. If you are interested in the truth, do some research yourself.

It is just so pointless to proclaim how there is so much evidence than fail to show any.

The Ark has been shown to be an engineering impossibility for the resources it would have taken and if you add God to construction it could have been a magical coffee cup Tardis because miracle.

So just call it a miracle and leave reality out of it. Easier.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
View attachment 289947
View attachment 289946 View attachment 289948

it’s not possible to build a wooden boat that big using Bronze Age technology. This ship Wyoming had some steel and cast iron parts
Did you read my post proposing a ring-shaped hull with spokes like a bicycle wheel (post #27)? There are lots of possible designs for the Ark.

The Wyoming had very different requirements from Noah's Ark, because it was a sailing ship - long and sleek and fast. Using the Wyoming's design challenges to understand Noah's Ark's design challenges is not necessarily very informative.

I suspect that if the age of sail continued and the economics had justified large wooden sailing ships then the engineers could have corrected their mistakes from the Wyoming.

I don't believe there was actually a Noah's Ark, but I am trying to have a fun and education discussion about possible designs that might have worked.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wish I understood engineering better but wood isn’t a great material to build huge boats or covered barges. Wooden ships that were seaworthy weren’t that big and they had to constantly check for leaks . Then there the fact that urine tends to rot wood .

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Another possible design might be to imagine a large flexible Ark like a giant circular rug that conforms to the wavy surface of the water at all times. Maybe something like a fishing net with floating mini-Arks at each intersection of the net and lots of separation between the mini-Arks to keep them from bumping together?

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That’s the idea of the round raft built of reeds . And even then, that wouldn’t float for a year. I don’t think any wooden boat would float for a year without constant upkeep. Between that and space for caulking supplies ; space for food for the animals ; feeding and cleaning the animals removing dung ,other waste, and spoiled food; and the constant gasping from the ammonia urine in the air . When do 8 people have time or even the space to do all this? Nothing about this story makes any sense!

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That’s the idea of the round raft built of reeds . And even then, that wouldn’t float for a year. I don’t think any wooden boat would float for a year without constant upkeep. Between that and space for caulking supplies ; space for food for the animals ; feeding and cleaning the animals removing dung ,other waste, and spoiled food; and the constant gasping from the ammonia urine in the air . When do 8 people have time or even the space to do all this? Nothing about this story makes any sense!
The story gives 3 dimension 300, 50, and 30 cubits. Imagine 300 floating boxes which are 50x50x30. Connect these 300 floating boxes into a grid using ropes. The separation between the boxes might be 1000 cubits.

After the initial bad weather ends, Noah and his family members could perhaps tighten the spacing between the boxes and use small boats to travel from box to box for animal care.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Noah and his family members could perhaps tighten the spacing between the boxes and use small boats to travel from box to box for animal care.

Creationists could also brilliantly use this as a reason why there are no more dragons or dinosaurs around.

Obviously their boxes got disconnected and they sunk.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure things were very calm during a global flood.
of course it's easy to miss the elephant in the room. that a the Manager (referring to the One for Whom we tend to capitalize His name) would ....

you choose:

a) just idly do nothing and let the boat sink

b) watch over the boat and make sure it floats, etc.

What'cha think? a or b?

heh heh. funny what is obvious and what isn't, depending on one's assumptions.

(and i'm not even a person that has spent much time thinking on any possible literal side of a story that is of course in the text for its parable-style meanings)

• Agree
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
of course it's easy to miss the elephant in the room. that a the Manager (referring to the One for Whom we tend to capitalize His name) would ....

you choose:

a) just idly do nothing and let the boat sink

b) watch over the boat and make sure it floats, etc.

What'cha think? a or b?

heh heh. funny what is obvious and what isn't, depending on one's assumptions.

(and i'm not even a person that has spent much time thinking on any possible literal side of a story that is of course in the text for its parable-style meanings)
Option a.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It is just so pointless to proclaim how there is so much evidence than fail to show any.

The Ark has been shown to be an engineering impossibility for the resources it would have taken and if you add God to construction it could have been a magical coffee cup Tardis because miracle.

So just call it a miracle and leave reality out of it. Easier.
Who has shown it to be an engineering impossibility? The same people who say that the pyramids cannot be built? No one knows what the world was like when Noah was alive Everything was swept away by the flood. Who knows what technology was possible? Only God. There are three full size replica arks (that I know of) built according to the dimensions and pattern given in Genesis. No, they are not exact because the description in Genesis is not a blueprint.

I know some people complain that the ark was built with modern techniques and with additional bracing. Sure. Builders have to meet modern design codes, OHSA regulations and safety requirements. The demands of insurers are also an issue. So the replica arks are as near to the real thing as can be constructed in the modern world.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
You're letting reality get in the way of The Truth™
The replica arks (3 that I know of) had to be built to meet modern construction codes, OHSA regulations and meet requirements for liability insurance. There is no engineering reason why the ark could not be built to the Genesis description. God provided the blueprints, the bill of materials and assembly instructions. I'd rather have been on the ark than the Titanic.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rectangular box shape,
close to something like the illustration

oct-fig-1_1.png
too many windows.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
The replica arks (3 that I know of) had to be built to meet modern construction codes, OHSA regulations and meet requirements for liability insurance. There is no engineering reason why the ark could not be built to the Genesis description. God provided the blueprints, the bill of materials and assembly instructions. I'd rather have been on the ark than the Titanic.
You're letting The Truth™ get in the way of reality.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Who has shown it to be an engineering impossibility? The same people who say that the pyramids cannot be built?

The difference of course being that Pyramids are there so they were clearly built and we have pretty good idea how it was done and it doesn’t need anything supernatural.

There is exactly zero evidence for Ark being anything other than work of fiction.

Apart from the silliness of what we estimate now to be around 9 million species to be crammed in to a wooden tub

Species count put at 8.7 million Species count put at 8.7 million

and being cared for by a few people being physical impossibility even the Ark replicates having been made are not seaworthy.

You mention we don’t know what technology they had so we go back to Tardis. As reasonable to claim miracle if we have to assume they had superior technology to what we have now.

Also if we just follow the animals themselves the ark becomes just a myth.

If all the animals were grounded in Middle East we would expect to see all the animals to spread out from there.

But funnily enough there are no kangaroo fossils anywhere except Australia. Or other ingenious species tied to special geographic locations.

How is that possible if they all started at Middle East ?

It isn’t of course because ark is a myth and kangaroos -shockingly - evolved in Australian continent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.

For each one shall bear his own load. Let him who is taught the word share in all good things with him who teaches.

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Noah's Ark was not powered. Therefore all it had to do was stay afloat. It was not a ship, more like a massive barge. I've seen some modelling that shows that the design of the ark was suited to the expected conditions. Since it was not a relatively small model, I don't know how useful the modelling was. The design had to suit materials and tools available. The stated design in the Genesis account needs no modifications. I know a little about ships as I'm ex navy.

The ark also had to beach on dry land. Your proposal would make it very difficult. You obviously don't believe the ark was real. There is plenty of historical data from widespread sources that suggest that the ark was real and that the flood was worldwide.
No, this is not true. Actual historic data, like all other evidence, refutes the story.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
No, this is not true. Actual historic data, like all other evidence, refutes the story.
Funny, some Mensa level scientists disagree entirely with your statement. Refute: "Prove (a statement or theory) to be wrong or false; disprove." In the case of the ark, actual historic data proves or disproves nothing. I've read quite a lot about the ark and the various theories about it. My conclusions are simple. The ark as described in Genesis was built and survived a world wide flood. And the ark almost certainly no longer exists in any identifiable form.

Oh, and to clarify, I'm neither a scientist or a genius. I can read and I have a reasonable level of comprehension.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Funny, some Mensa level scientists disagree entirely with your statement. Refute: "Prove (a statement or theory) to be wrong or false; disprove." In the case of the ark, actual historic data proves or disproves nothing. I've read quite a lot about the ark and the various theories about it. My conclusions are simple. The ark as described in Genesis was built and survived a world wide flood. And the ark almost certainly no longer exists in any identifiable form.

Oh, and to clarify, I'm neither a scientist or a genius. I can read and I have a reasonable level of comprehension.
I am not too impressed with "Mensa level scientists". The important question is whether a scientist publishes his work in a relevant field in well respected professional journals. Under that reasonable criterion your claim fails. Real scientists know that it never happened. If one takes any version seriously Noah and family get cooked several times over.

If the flood happened it would have left all sorts of evidence. That evidence is missing and what we see refutes the flood story.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0