Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Just wondering what would be some ideal designs for Noah's Ark if had been real?

Some requirements:
(1) Needs stay as level as possible so the animals aren't injured as the Ark reacts to the waves. Some of the animals could be strapped into place for short periods of extreme waves.
(2) Needs to stay upright and above the surface for access to fresh air.

I wonder if an upside-down dome with lots of ballast might be a good design?

Another thought is a downward-pointing cone? Many ships have a v-shaped hull cross-section and converting that to a circular shape gives a cone.
Noah's Ark was not powered. Therefore all it had to do was stay afloat. It was not a ship, more like a massive barge. I've seen some modelling that shows that the design of the ark was suited to the expected conditions. Since it was not a relatively small model, I don't know how useful the modelling was. The design had to suit materials and tools available. The stated design in the Genesis account needs no modifications. I know a little about ships as I'm ex navy.

The ark also had to beach on dry land. Your proposal would make it very difficult. You obviously don't believe the ark was real. There is plenty of historical data from widespread sources that suggest that the ark was real and that the flood was worldwide.

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I am not going to tell God he is incompetent..... even though the design is incompetent :D.
One day you'll get the chance to say that to God personally. I doubt you'd be opening your mouth though. I have some knowledge of ships. I was in the navy for 8-1/2 years. The ark design is fine.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I bet you can't link to any.
If Noah stood in front of you with a picture of the ark, you would not believe it. If you are interested in the truth, do some research yourself.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That design is probably easy to construct.

What about cutting that long box into four boxes and forming a square ring? That would still be fairly simple to construct with lots of right angles, but it would probably be more stable and stronger? It could have an X in the middle of the ring possibly for more strength? There might be a flat deck across the top for people and animals to walk around and get fresh air after the rain subsides.

All we have is this guide.

The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, its width fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits.

The question is, what is the true cubit measurement from the Time of Noah.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It is interesting to imagine a ring-shaped hull for Noah's Ark with spokes across the hole in the interior.

The dimensions usually understood to be length width and height might be:
- ring outside diameter 300 cubits
- ring hull width 50 cubits
- height 30 cubits

The ring inside diameter would be 200 cubits and the ring length would be about 250 cubits X pi which is 785 cubits. That is an even roomier Ark and probably a lot stronger and more stable.

The spokes on the interior could be just like a bicycle's wheel where some spokes go slightly upwards and some spokes go slightly downwards. There would need to be a vertical shaft in the center of the ring where the spokes attach. This would strengthen the ring against flexing in the vertical dimension.

Here is a picture of bicycle spokes for people who have forgotten how they look. The spokes across the inside of the ring-shaped Noah's Ark could be just like these:
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/bicycle-spokes-kim-calvert.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If Noah stood in front of you with a picture of the ark, you would not believe it. If you are interested in the truth, do some research yourself.
A simple "You're right, I can't" would have used fewer words.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
All we have is this guide.

The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, its width fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits.

The question is, what is the true cubit measurement from the Time of Noah.
Take a look at my post #27. Maybe the dimensions are not length, width, and depth for a box but dimensions for a ring? The meaning of some words in Hebrew can only be guessed. Maybe length, width, and depth are a misunderstanding?

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting, wouldn’t a rectangular box boat just capsize or get pushed under in extreme weather . There’s nothing to cut thru the waves like a prow . A wooden boat that size would leak due to the boat flexing . Sorry This story isn’t plausible

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to a certain poster here, the ideal design is a box that's bigger on the inside.
Fun. Of course that's a possibility, after all, as He's called "God" for a reason. So, then the answer in that scenario would be something that is big enough to seem really large from the outside. :) Heh heh

Heh. Also it could be surprisingly watertight. '-)

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Interesting, wouldn’t a rectangular box boat just capsize or get pushed under in extreme weather . There’s nothing to cut thru the waves like a prow . A wooden boat that size would leak due to the boat flexing . Sorry This story isn’t plausible
That is my thought too. Even a box that is square when viewed from above would be better than a rectangular box, but circular is probably ideal. My proposal is a ring-shaped hull like a bicycle wheel with spokes attaching to a shaft in the center for strength against flexing.

Here is a picture of a bicycle's spokes:
https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/bicycle-spokes-kim-calvert.jpg

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
According to what I understand a cubit is , it’s the length from the tip of your outstretched arm to the opposite shoulder. If you sew by hand that’s the optimum maximum length of your sewing thread.

• Informative
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Take a look at my post #27. Maybe the dimensions are not length, width, and depth for a box but dimensions for a ring? The meaning of some words in Hebrew can only be guessed. Maybe length, width, and depth are a misunderstanding?

I will say that is what is close to be believed (for some, i am one believer) to be the tent Tabernacle, God dwelt in when He was with the Hebrews.

Project 314 Home

• Informative
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I will say that is what is close to be believed (for some, i am one believer) to be the tent Tabernacle, God dwelt in when He was with the Hebrews.

Project 314 Home
You mean the bible is open to personal interpretation?

I need to sit down. I never thought I'd see a biblical literalist say something so...... honest.

• Haha
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is from Wikipedia
80E11514-A7DA-45CB-AA29-2278A53B06FA.jpeg

Johan Ark’s is built on a steel shell . They didn’t even have iron in the Bronze Age .

• Informative
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Johan Ark’s is built on a steel shell . They didn’t even have iron in the Bronze Age .
If I'm not mistaken, some woods are stronger than steel pound for pound. Just something I read somewhere, and I might be misremembering. The various building materials have different strengths and weaknesses.

I'm not sure why steel is preferred for modern ship building, but it might be a cost issue rather than the parameters of steel compared to wood?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟298,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wood bends too much under the type of stress of being hit by waves . A big wooden boat like that would break apart .

I'm sure things were very calm during a global flood.

Upvote 0