Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny
it is this....

why are Bible verses sometimes not welcomed in threads that are specifically about God and His precepts? Thoughts?

because christians don't like the word of God:confused:

The thought did cross my mind.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
i was asking you, brother.

I'm using the linear view. When you write a post without quoting the person you're conversing with, others can't tell who you're questioning. Sorry if it appeared I had abandoned your question. EDIT - I didn't see it in your latest post, and perhaps you had edited it while I was writing.

However, it is a question that can be asked only so many times. I think we both consider the unity of Christian fellowship primal, and this can happen only when we've achieved the unity of the faith Ephesians 4 shows as our goal:

11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ— 16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.

The reason Christ has given us the various gifts we have is because we haven't achieved the goal of unity. But, that remains the goal. Notice that even within this passage the need to grow beyond childish ignorance to identify and reject "every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting".

That is a part of edifying the whole Body of Christ.
On the GT forum, we naturally tend to discuss doctrines we don't agree on.
It is a different means to achieve the same goal we should all embark on at some point in time.

And I mentioned before that once you've been given enough to determine an error we should reject, it becomes prudent to return to your fellowship and share what we've learned and build up the Body where it is.

Jesus Christ isn't on the far end of an Ethernet cable. He is much closer than that.

How does one do this? Debate? Arguing? Or is there another option?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Probably because some people pick and choose which part of YHWH's words they want to keep. Like those people who don't believe in something like hell or that Jesus was divine.

Are you saying that is why there might be such emphatic opposition to posting Bible verses?

Upvote 0

VictorC

Jesus - that's my final answer
Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Allow me to step aside and offer Jude's response.

Jude 1
1 Jude, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James,
To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ:
2 Mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you.
3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. 4 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Contention finds its root in 'contend'.
Now look at the definition and synonyms invoked.

contention said:
noun
1. a struggling together in opposition; strife.
2. a striving in rivalry; competition; contest.
3. strife in debate; dispute; controversy.
4. a point contended for or affirmed in controversy.

Synonyms
1. conflict, combat. 3. disagreement, dissension, debate, altercation.

It becomes hard to avoid the call for 'debate'.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Jude 1
To those who are called, sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ:
3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. 4 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.

of whom are we contending, brother?

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." ~Ephesians 6:12

Upvote 0

VictorC

Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
of whom are we contending, brother?

Your use of 'of' has apparently replaced the author's emphasis on 'for'.
Review:
I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.

The object we contend for is the common faith delivered to us.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." ~Ephesians 6:12

That's done in a prayer closet, not on a discussion forum. I certainly don't want to discourage what Paul wrote, but it follows another narrative involving the armor of God applied to the individual.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Your use of 'of' has apparently replaced the author's emphasis on 'for'.
Review:
I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.

The object we contend for is the common faith delivered to us.

That's done in a prayer closet, not on a discussion forum. I certainly don't want to discourage what Paul wrote, but it follows another narrative involving the armor of God applied to the individual.

as in debating, arguing? Is that what contending for the faith means?

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does forgiveness and grace pan out in such a forum as GT? Is it utilized?

I've been working on bringing about more of that here, just by utilizing it myself. I love coming here to learn more, but it DOES seem that some are a tad defensive :-/

Id love to see you here more!

Upvote 0

VictorC

Mar 25, 2008
Northern Colorado
✟22,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Jude 1

contention said:
noun
1. a struggling together in opposition; strife.
2. a striving in rivalry; competition; contest.
3. strife in debate; dispute; controversy.
4. a point contended for or affirmed in controversy.

Synonyms
1. conflict, combat. 3. disagreement, dissension, debate, altercation.

as in debating, arguing? Is that what contending for the faith means?

I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by repeating a question that has already been answered.

I need to go make dinner now. Be blessed in His presence!

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks motherprayer. I've been in the same frame of mind. And it hinges on my awareness of how desperately we all are in need of God's grace and in turn be gracious to one another, and minister to one another. It is in such unity that God rejoices in, and our aim, as children of the Most High God, is to please HIM above all else, amen? I've been entrenched in debates, and at the end, no one is edified. It seems walls are put up and the murmurings of growlings are heard, and in hindsight i'm wondering what was THAT all about? what specifically was accomplished here? LOL!

Thank you for posting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Jude 1

I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by repeating a question that has already been answered.

I need to go make dinner now. Be blessed in His presence!

Speak more on the blessing part next time brother. Be blessed in His presence as well.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks motherprayer. I've been in the same frame of mind. And it hinges on my awareness of how desperately we all are in need of God's grace and in turn be gracious to one another, and minister to one another. It is in such unity that God rejoices in, and our aim, as children of the Most High God, is to please HIM above all else, amen? I've been entrenched in debates, and at the end, no one is edified. It seems walls are put up and the murmurings of growlings are heard, and in hindsight i'm wondering what was THAT all about? what specifically was accomplished here? LOL!

Thank you for posting.

Yup yup! I've learned that using Pauls words in a bit of a flip way can help. "If I speak with tongues of men and angels, but don't have love, I am just a percussion instrument." I seriously need to find a picture that depicts that so I can post it when people get mad lol

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm listening. How is this done?

It's done like this:

"Looking at his disciples, he said:“Blessed are you who are poor,
for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now,
for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.
Blessed are you when men hate you,
when they exclude you and insult you
and reject your name as evil,
because of the Son of Man.
“Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.
“But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.
Woe to you who are well fed now,
for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now,
for you will mourn and weep.
Woe to you when all men speak well of you,
for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets."

“But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you."

“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ lend to ‘sinners,’ expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

"He also told them this parable: “Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher."

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

“No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks."

“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.” (Luke 6)

There. A whole sermon undeniably full of God's word, delivered to the people of God, with not one line of Scripture directly quoted. :)

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Thank you for posting.

Yup yup! I've learned that using Pauls words in a bit of a flip way can help. "If I speak with tongues of men and angels, but don't have love, I am just a percussion instrument." I seriously need to find a picture that depicts that so I can post it when people get mad lol

LOL! A picture would be awesome
4chsmu1.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It's done like this:

"Looking at his disciples, he said:“Blessed are you who are poor,
for yours is the kingdom of God.
Blessed are you who hunger now,
for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.
Blessed are you when men hate you,
when they exclude you and insult you
and reject your name as evil,
because of the Son of Man.
“Rejoice in that day and leap for joy, because great is your reward in heaven. For that is how their fathers treated the prophets.
“But woe to you who are rich,
for you have already received your comfort.
Woe to you who are well fed now,
for you will go hungry.
Woe to you who laugh now,
for you will mourn and weep.
Woe to you when all men speak well of you,
for that is how their fathers treated the false prophets."

“But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you."

“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ lend to ‘sinners,’ expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

"He also told them this parable: “Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher."

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

“No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks."

“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.” (Luke 6)

There. A whole sermon undeniably full of God's word, delivered to the people of God, with not one line of Scripture directly quoted. :)

God bless you. I'm sure you tried, and i appreciate the effort. I'm certain these verses will bear fruit, for His Word never returns to Him void. It's almost like His Word supersedes our efforts and has a mind of its own.
4chsmu1.gif

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
it is this....

why are Bible verses sometimes not welcomed in threads that are specifically about God and His precepts? Thoughts?

I welcome them! Heck, I might try ONLY replying to threads using verses alone :p

Let's see

16 Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly.

:hi:

Upvote 0