• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I am blessed with Asperger's Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi!
Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions.

My son and I discussed. The two of us decided to take him off the Straterra for now. According to my son, the only thing it does for him is keep him from sleeping well. I have not discussed with his MD's, but I have a feeling his pediatrician is not going to be pleased.

Lisa

Upvote 0

uniquetadpole

I have no problems, just challenges!
Dec 18, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟10,597.00
Faith
Christian
Lisa0315 said:
Hi!
Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions.

My son and I discussed. The two of us decided to take him off the Straterra for now. According to my son, the only thing it does for him is keep him from sleeping well. I have not discussed with his MD's, but I have a feeling his pediatrician is not going to be pleased.

Lisa
if the pediatrician is upset and doesn't want to listen...then find another one...the patient knows how it affects them best!!!! Even a young child can tell you if something is good or not.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
uniquetadpole said:
if the pediatrician is upset and doesn't want to listen...then find another one...the patient knows how it affects them best!!!! Even a young child can tell you if something is good or not.

Nah. I have immense respect for my son's doctor. He has been a huge support over the years. He may be somewhat upset over the decision, then, again, on second thought, he may agree with me. He always said that the ultimate goal was for my son to be able to function without meds.

Upvote 0

uniquetadpole

Dec 18, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟10,597.00
Faith
Christian
Lisa0315 said:
Nah. I have immense respect for my son's doctor. He has been a huge support over the years. He may be somewhat upset over the decision, then, again, on second thought, he may agree with me. He always said that the ultimate goal was for my son to be able to function without meds.
That is great...and there are other meds you can try if you want...something might just help...but I am hoping to be off meds myself...hoping that some of the things I am doing in OT will solve most of my challenges

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
uniquetadpole said:
That is great...and there are other meds you can try if you want...something might just help...but I am hoping to be off meds myself...hoping that some of the things I am doing in OT will solve most of my challenges

What kinds of things are you doing?

By the way, I like your sig. I have a version of that on my resume'. Mine says, "There are no problems, only solutions!". It is paraphrased from John Lennon's Watching the Wheels.

Upvote 0

uniquetadpole

Dec 18, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟10,597.00
Faith
Christian
Lisa0315 said:
What kinds of things are you doing?

By the way, I like your sig. I have a version of that on my resume'. Mine says, "There are no problems, only solutions!". It is paraphrased from John Lennon's Watching the Wheels.
In OT? Currently, I am doing a Therapuetic Listening Program...

http://vitallinks.net/index.shtml

My OT basically assessed my needs and is helping find solutions to some of my issues...most stuff I pretty much did one my own, but stuff that you need an OT to be certified to do or recommend are what I am there for...I now use a weighted blanket which has made a massive difference in my life. There is also the brushing technique that only sometimes helps me. And they have loads of other "tricks" up their sleeves.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
willcoach said:
I took stratara myself they thought it was ADD and boy were they wrong. When I got off I was jumpy but through social coaching I'm getting better. Does anyone have strong family support please let me know?

Good question! One of the pluses of this has been that my son and I are growing closer. He internalized so much and it was very difficult to get him to open up. Now, he is finding safe outlets (His therapist and me!) to talk about all the issues and problems. He is soooo much happier now. More productive, more EVERYTHING. At first, I was really upset with the diagnosis, upset at myself for not knowing sooner, that kind of thing, but I think it is turning into a blessing. It is also teaching me alot about myself.

Upvote 0

agrtkidsmom

Mar 10, 2006
Louisville, Colorado
✟15,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tadpole - Thank you so much for sharing this! I am new to the forum - I joined up a few weeks ago after having visiting this subforum. I have a four year old with autism and - recently diagnosed - ADHD. I really loved reading your entries. I cannot tell you how much my spirit soars when I read your comments, written from an eternal perspective.

It is so true that God can use things that people in our world believe to be huge obstacles or problems to his advantage. Christ's death was the ultimate example, but there are so many other less dramatic examples throughout scripture. Our world's perspective is not His perspective, and isn't it wonderful!

God has given me an assurance that my son Caleb will be gained by Him. I trust Him with that. Ultimately, I believe Caleb's challenges will be used by God in ways I could never imagine. They will, at least, be used to mold Caleb in exactly the kind of vessel God needs to fulfill God's purpose for Caleb. In the meantime, the challenges Caleb's autism brings to my family's life is also molding me and my husband for more effective use by God. :clap: And then - when this life is over - REAL life can begin - and our physical bodies will be gone - and this life will feel like an afterthought.

You should check out Romans 8:31-39 one more time. What a victory cry for anybody with challenges of any kind.

I haven't introduced myself to the subforum yet. My lunch break is almost over, so it may have to wait until later. In the meantime, I am so blessed for having read your entries!

Reactions: uniquetadpole
Upvote 0

uniquetadpole

Dec 18, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟10,597.00
Faith
Christian
agrtkidsmom said:
Tadpole - Thank you so much for sharing this! I am new to the forum - I joined up a few weeks ago after having visiting this subforum. I have a four year old with autism and - recently diagnosed - ADHD. I really loved reading your entries. I cannot tell you how much my spirit soars when I read your comments, written from an eternal perspective.

It is so true that God can use things that people in our world believe to be huge obstacles or problems to his advantage. Christ's death was the ultimate example, but there are so many other less dramatic examples throughout scripture. Our world's perspective is not His perspective, and isn't it wonderful!

God has given me an assurance that my son Caleb will be gained by Him. I trust Him with that. Ultimately, I believe Caleb's challenges will be used by God in ways I could never imagine. They will, at least, be used to mold Caleb in exactly the kind of vessel God needs to fulfill God's purpose for Caleb. In the meantime, the challenges Caleb's autism brings to my family's life is also molding me and my husband for more effective use by God. :clap: And then - when this life is over - REAL life can begin - and our physical bodies will be gone - and this life will feel like an afterthought.

You should check out Romans 8:31-39 one more time. What a victory cry for anybody with challenges of any kind.

I haven't introduced myself to the subforum yet. My lunch break is almost over, so it may have to wait until later. In the meantime, I am so blessed for having read your entries!
I am glad that what I wrote has helped you...

I will be praying for you and your family to be brought closer to God through Caleb's struggles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

willcoach

Feb 25, 2006
Augusta, Georgia
Visit site
✟10,087.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
uniquetadpole said:
you are welcome too will!!!!

You guys really help me know that I am going in the right direction...thanks!!!!
From one aspie to another we are indeed here for the right reason! Holla back Uniquetadpole.

Upvote 0
C

Clingingtohope

Alot of what you describe with AS and what i've looked up on the internet seems similar to what I have. thing is I dont really do good in anything important. only thing I have a nack at in life is computers. not sure whether I have just ADD or what but I do have that need of being close or held. I also have trouble sleeping at night as well. I am going to try and get a psychological test done but it costs like 500 bucks and is done at a local university. Wondering if I have this or something like this.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Clingingtohope said:
Alot of what you describe with AS and what i've looked up on the internet seems similar to what I have. thing is I dont really do good in anything important. only thing I have a nack at in life is computers. not sure whether I have just ADD or what but I do have that need of being close or held. I also have trouble sleeping at night as well. I am going to try and get a psychological test done but it costs like 500 bucks and is done at a local university. Wondering if I have this or something like this.

Find a way. It will be worth it. Sell something if you have to. I think a lot of people are misdiagnosed with ADHD and really they are AS. My son is doing so much better, it is amazing. I think it was such a relief to him to find out that there was a reason for all of his differences. He is making friends for the first time since elementary school. Really, just find a way to do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lisa0315

Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey you guys,
I wanted to tell y'all about an article I found, and I am trying this with my son.

I have taken Melatonin for 4 years, and you would not believe the difference it has made in my life. (Melatonin is the hormone that helps you go to sleep) Sleep! Enough sleep will just about cure anything mental that ails you. I was depressed, stressed, anxious, and just exhausted.

So, when my son was diagnosed with AS, of course, I began researching. I found an article that states that all autistic children are found to have low levels of Seratonin in their bodies. The study goes on to say that most of these kids have sleep disorders as well, and the doctors found that if they gave these kids Melatonin, they functioned much better. Apparantly, there is a link between Melatonin and Seratonin. As Melatonin increases, so does seratonin. This makes total sense to me, and with my son's MD in agreement, I started him on a low dose of Melatonin each night. It is safe and natural, and my son says that he feels great. Here's the link!

http://www.autism.org/melatonin.html

Upvote 0

uniquetadpole

Dec 18, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟10,597.00
Faith
Christian
Lisa0315 said:
Hey you guys,
I wanted to tell y'all about an article I found, and I am trying this with my son.

I have taken Melatonin for 4 years, and you would not believe the difference it has made in my life. (Melatonin is the hormone that helps you go to sleep) Sleep! Enough sleep will just about cure anything mental that ails you. I was depressed, stressed, anxious, and just exhausted.

So, when my son was diagnosed with AS, of course, I began researching. I found an article that states that all autistic children are found to have low levels of Seratonin in their bodies. The study goes on to say that most of these kids have sleep disorders as well, and the doctors found that if they gave these kids Melatonin, they functioned much better. Apparantly, there is a link between Melatonin and Seratonin. As Melatonin increases, so does seratonin. This makes total sense to me, and with my son's MD in agreement, I started him on a low dose of Melatonin each night. It is safe and natural, and my son says that he feels great. Here's the link!

http://www.autism.org/melatonin.html
Thanks...I am gonna check into next week with my doc.

Upvote 0

uniquetadpole

Dec 18, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟10,597.00
Faith
Christian
peachylushness1 said:
Thanks for the interesting post. With regard to the speach problem-I was watching a documentary on something called 'selective mutism' the other day. It sounds simular to what your describing
Yes I have found out that is what it is called...and many Aspies have it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.