Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday I saw a short movie on Youtube. I do not know what to believe about all of it but maybe atheist might have some benefit of it. Some dna tests have been taken and they claim the father of the claimed Jesus is not human. That was one video. In another video they had taken samples of the burialveil of the body of Jesus and took a replaced piece that was woven in after a fire so the tests showed wrong. Anyway these videos was abous science accidentally proves that Jesus is the son of God. If this is the way You want to find God, Good luck. I do not think suicide will bring You to God since murder is forbidden. You might wake up in hell if You kill Yourself. And that is forever so please do not kill yourself. Jesus is the only way to God. And God loves You.

Upvote 0

joecass

Dec 22, 2011
New Jersey
✟8,408.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a young boy I watch my dad slip into a deep depression. He lost his job. We were extremely close to losing our house. My brother was in trouble with the police. My sister was in a mental hospital because her whole life she struggled with mental illness.

At my dads new job five Christians reached out to him this is going back to late 80s. He excepted Christ and I watched him come out of a deep depression without any kind of medicine. He started reading the Bible and became a totally different person. Jesus is still in the business of transforming the human heart. I watch my dad become full of joy and other family members notice this. The Christian faith spread through most of my family. Because they noticed my dads joy and they said that they wanted that too in their life. The apostle Paul taught us that you could have Joy locked up in a cold prison cell chained to the wall.
Remember Satan wants to pull us down Jesus wants to build us up. Satan came to kill and destroy. So if you take your own life you're doing exactly what he wants me to do and the only power that can fight against that is Jesus. Read your Bible and pray.

My father-in-law rejected Christ and went down a very dark path he committed suicide the day after Christmas. And caused a lot of pain to the whole family that doesn't just affect you it affects everyone around you whether you believe that or not it's true. It's been two years and I still think about it a lot. If you want to talk or text me my myself phone number is 973 768 5972 don't be afraid to call maybe I could help you some how. My name is Joe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DarthNeo

Oct 7, 2016
Tampa, FL
✟20,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Imagine I am young and unhappy and looking for answers. I'm unemployed and cant find a girlfriend. I feel so depressed I have contemplated suicide. I am desperate. I want an answer asap, otherwise...??

First I would empathize with all that you are going through, I would be a listening ear.

Then I might mention how difficult it must be to go through all that you are, all alone.

But then I would tell you that you don't have to face it alone and that there is someone who loves you VERY much.

I would tell you in order for this person to help you, you need to have a RELATIONSHIP with Him and to do that, you must accept who and what you are and who and what He is.

I would explain sin, that we are ALL sinners, and that we need a Savior, someone who will/has taken the punishment we deserve for sinning against God.

I would then go through the Gospel, telling them the plan of Salvation and then listen for their response and see what they have to say and how they react...

What happens next depends on their initial reaction to hearing the gospel...

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...if you claim to be an Atheist... the Bible says that you are playing the fool.

Following Christ does not mean you will have a perfectly happy life, find you a job, become weathy or find you a girlfriend. In fact, if you follow Christ, He promised that this world will hate you, and you will have many trials and tribulations, you may even lose your life...

Joe, read the OP again: "Imagine I am young and unhappy and looking for answers. I'm unemployed and cant find a girlfriend. I feel so depressed I have contemplated suicide. I am desperate. I want an answer asap, otherwise...??"

This is a person who is becoming disillusioned with the world. On top of all that disillusionment you sound like you want to crush him even more with how sinful he is in the eyes of God. This sentence in particular jumps out at me: "Following Christ does not mean you will have a perfectly happy life, find you a job, become weathy or find you a girlfriend. In fact, if you follow Christ, He promised that this world will hate you, and you will have many trials and tribulations, you may even lose your life." Not sure that's the best thing to tell a potentially suicidal person. They're already considering loosing their life for real. And New Testament believers faced their trials and tribulations with joy (Colossians 1:11-12, Acts 16:24-25). I agree with you that a believer's life is not all fun and games, but I think we need to offer unbelievers hope, not more depression.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2016
United States
✟16,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Find a good theological church so you will not be led astray by many different types of opinions. If we want to help skeptics understand Truth we first need to have theological training and accountability. Help ourselves before trying to convince skeptic the truth!

If the sermons in GTY cause you to fall asleep then it just shows why skeptic should not becomes Christians. :(

Grace to you
www.gty.org

Upvote 0

jonbanjo

Nov 25, 2016
UK
✟3,184.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Imagine I am young and unhappy and looking for answers. I'm unemployed and cant find a girlfriend. I feel so depressed I have contemplated suicide. I am desperate. I want an answer asap, otherwise...??
I might be able to give a better answer if I ever do find my way fully through my so far 30 (of 57 I was an atheist at least from mid teens to 27) years of trying but...

I don't think there is an easy answer and people's experiences differ. Personally, I don't see God as a quick fix solution to the problems you mention. It's hard as some do seem to report "instant transformations" and others find things harder. in my case, I moved from a position of good employment to (getting the label schizophrenic didn't help matters....) being sort of unemployable, wrestle with alcohol and as for girlfriends the only person I ever got to "know" had a boyfriend in prison. I've also contemplated suicide in this time. And have blazed at God sometimes...

On top surface, there is nothing I could offer your teenager. But even through my own tales of woe (some of which i see now were self inflicted...), I think one can gradually come to terms with being caught up in something far bigger than "self", learn to question ones former desires or ambitions and even be aware that there is someone (Christ) who will stick by you even if your are in a hospital bed on a drip - I'm sure I'm not still here by my own strength - that gave out a few times.

Sorry I'm not painting a pretty picture but it can be a rocky ride. As said above, I'm still not through it all but, although it might not the answer your teenager would want perhaps a selling point could still be that however things may seem at the time, there is someone who will always be with you.

I'm not sure if it would work for an atheist but for Christians (including myself) in times of doubts and troubles I often use this.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Joe, read the OP again: "Imagine I am young and unhappy and looking for answers. I'm unemployed and cant find a girlfriend. I feel so depressed I have contemplated suicide. I am desperate. I want an answer asap, otherwise...??"

This is a person who is becoming disillusioned with the world. On top of all that disillusionment you sound like you want to crush him even more with how sinful he is in the eyes of God. This sentence in particular jumps out at me: "Following Christ does not mean you will have a perfectly happy life, find you a job, become weathy or find you a girlfriend. In fact, if you follow Christ, He promised that this world will hate you, and you will have many trials and tribulations, you may even lose your life." Not sure that's the best thing to tell a potentially suicidal person. They're already considering loosing their life for real. And New Testament believers faced their trials and tribulations with joy (Colossians 1:11-12, Acts 16:24-25). I agree with you that a believer's life is not all fun and games, but I think we need to offer unbelievers hope, not more depression.

I read it from the title and from the first post. The post was to be in response to an Atheist. An Atheist is not neutral, they are in rebellion to God and His truth.

Yes, in addition to what I wrote I could have written more on the hope that is in Jesus Christ. My wording was certainly not ideal. But first I must call them to repentance, because that is what Jesus did (Matthew 4). The hope and joy found in the Lord is meaningless if they remain in their sin and if they do not understand their current standing before God, as a proclaimed Atheist, that they are an enemy of God.

How do you offer hope if they do not understand their guilt before a holy God and His righteous wrath against them, then the grace and mercy of God have the greatest meaning? He who is forgiven much has a much deeper understanding of the grace of God.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

How about starting with this guy by offering to assist him with job placement and costs with a professional counselor. It seems to me that such actions would be, should be, a part of 'delivering' the good news. After that, we might then also offer the Gospel of Jesus Christ ...

But, for some reason, we live in a time when a lot of Christians settle for just giving 'biblical' advice. o_O

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I cannot say exactly what I would do or say because I would be inwardly praying that God would direct my thoughts and words. But probably I would start by talking briefly about my own hard times, my testimony would be personal and I would reveal how God had changed my own life. Much would then depend on how he would respond.

But let me share a bit about the nature of faith and reason, because people wrongly think we can prove God to people and that this will bring them to faith. Atheists are always demanding overwhelming evidence.

Christian faith requires primarily a heart (spirit) based choice, and only secondarily requires evidence. Some people require more evidence and some less. You see, in general, people believe what they WANT to believe. You cannot convince someone of an invisible reality (like love, or God) who does not want to be convinced. No amount of proof will be sufficient to believe in the Resurrected Christ unless Jesus Christ suddenly appeared before them and spoke to them, and even then some would not believe it was Him, even if He did miracles before their eyes.

Jesus said “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him.” So to think that any flesh and blood human being can truly convince someone of the existence of God or the divine nature of Jesus Christ is foolish. We Christians evangelize and try to convince people but only God Himself can make them believe.

Reason and logic have their severe limits when it comes to faith, but we should never check our brains at the door when examining or discussing faith issues. And when it comes to evangelism, we must remember that reason is the common ground for unbelievers and believers. A couple of excellent quotes:

“There is much misunderstanding about faith. It is commonly supposed to be a leap in the dark, totally incompatible with reason. This is not so. True faith is never unreasonable, because its object is always trustworthy. When we human beings trust one another, the reasonableness of our trust depends on the relative trustworthiness of the people concerned. But the Bible bears witness of Jesus Christ as absolutely trustworthy. It tells us who he is and what he has done, and the evidence it supplies for his unique person and work is extremely compelling. As we expose ourselves to the biblical witness to this Christ, and as we feel its impact -- profound yet simple, varied yet unanimous -- God creates faith within us. We receive the testimony. We believe.” (John R. W. Stott)

“It is not a case of proving first and then believing. We cannot believe theological truths for non-theological reasons. Rather, it is only when we encounter the living God in faith that we are in a position to grasp the truth of Christian faith. God then enables us to see with spiritual eyes what we could not previously see. The spirit is able to understand what the mind of the flesh is unable to conceive. The task of philosophical theology [and every attempt to integrate theology and science] is to examine the implications of this. It does so for the benefit of both the believer and the unbeliever, to enable them to see where matters stand. It is neither an alternative nor a short-cut to faith. It is more like an attempt to let faith take stock of its intellectual position.” (Colin Brown, from "Philosophy and the Christian Faith”)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OpenYourBibles

Jan 26, 2017
United States
✟11,608.00
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Married
I've heard a few times in this thread the comment, "I don't have a strong grasp of the Bible," but really you don't need one. Especially in this case with an atheist. When they told you they were an atheist, they told you they don't believe in the Bible... so why use the Bible to try and show them anything! If they see the Bible as "just another book," no matter how wrong that view is, there isn't any authority in the words it proclaims, at least in their minds!

So just talk, and share your testimony! Share with them the fact that your body runs on electricity and never plugs into a battery. Or in the vast emptiness of space our planet hangs at a perfect distance from the sun to keep us warm but not burn us up, we sit at tilt that is just enough to give us four seasons, but still have habitable poles. The fact of the matter is there is something bigger than us at work, something giving you breath right now! Why not take the time to say thank you... Now let me explain to you what happened to me when I took the time to acknowledge God...

If they are willing to acknowledging God, then you might be able to show them some Bible (because now it might carry some authority... for them). I would only go to Acts 2:36-39 and show them how Peter pointed out that the people he was talking to had made a grave mistake, and they exclaimed how do we fix this??? Then Peter showed them Repentance, Baptism in Jesus Name, and receiving God's gift which is the Holy Ghost. And then Peter explained that everyone could do exactly that process, both the people standing there, their kids, whoever God continues to call! Then show them how that plan worked for them, show them how that plan worked for you, and give them some hope, that that plan can work for them too!

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not sure what you mean by that. Listening to other people and holding your tongue until you have something both solid and appropriate to their need is all this entails. Can you do that?
Yes, in general, in all personal relationships, the quickest way to earn trust is to be a good listener. Listen first, try to understand the other person, then they may be willing to listen to you.

• Agree
Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have heard some athetists and non believers say that they had asked Jesus to prove Himself to them. And He did. You can try that.
If they truly WANT to believe, then God will aid them in the process of spiritual growth.

They could not even honestly pray (asking God for anything) without a germ of faith, and only God could have given them that.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you offer hope if they do not understand their guilt before a holy God and His righteous wrath against them, then the grace and mercy of God have the greatest meaning? He who is forgiven much has a much deeper understanding of the grace of God.

Well, I'd go back to my own conversion experience. I got deeply into the world serving the Devil in heavy metal bands until I was 21. But in the process of pursuing "success" and the pleasures of the flesh I realized I was destroying everything good in my life. So, like the guy described in the OP, I reached my end with the world, and became completely disillusioned with it. I was sitting in my bedroom at my mother's house with only a couch and a tiny TV that caught two stations, a hockey channel and EWTN. Just having EWTN on to make noise must have made some sort of impact, because I one day went and asked my mother if she had a Bible. She said yes and went and got it for me. I wasn't raised Christian, and I knew absolutely nothing about God, but as I read it I began thinking to myself, "You know, if people lived by this book, the world would be a much better place." I began falling in love with the word, and studying it all the time, much more so than the college material I was supposed to be reading. Eventually, I came to understand I was a sinner who needed to ask for God's forgiveness, and did so. But my point is that it was the goodness of God that drew me to that place. I didn't start there. If someone had tried to make me start there, I think I would have given them a glaring look and proceeded to walk off.

I do think there a many different kinds of people out there, and that the approach you favor may well be valuable for those who blindly assume they are doing just fine and don't need to repent. But for people at the end of their rope and already completely disillusioned with the world, I think they are already pretty much conceding defeat, if you know what I mean. They need a reason to go on, and a reason to hope. If they continue seeking God for His goodness, they will inevitably find out how great a price was paid for their salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I'd go back to my own conversion experience. I got deeply into the world serving the Devil in heavy metal bands until I was 21. But in the process of pursuing "success" and the pleasures of the flesh I realized I was destroying everything good in my life. So, like the guy described in the OP, I reached my end with the world, and became completely disillusioned with it. I was sitting in my bedroom at my mother's house with only a couch and a tiny TV that caught two stations, a hockey channel and EWTN. Just having EWTN on to make noise must have made some sort of impact, because I one day went and asked my mother if she had a Bible. She said yes and went and got it for me. I wasn't raised Christian, and I knew absolutely nothing about God, but as I read it I began thinking to myself, "You know, if people lived by this book, the world would be a much better place." I began falling in love with the word, and studying it all the time, much more so than the college material I was supposed to be reading. Eventually, I came to understand I was a sinner who needed to ask for God's forgiveness, and did so. But my point is that it was the goodness of God that drew me to that place. I didn't start there. If someone had tried to make me start there, I think I would have given them a glaring look and proceeded to walk off.

I do think there a many different kinds of people out there, and that the approach you favor may well be valuable for those who blindly assume they are doing just fine and don't need to repent. But for people at the end of their rope and already completely disillusioned with the world, I think they are already pretty much conceding defeat, if you know what I mean. They need a reason to go on, and a reason to hope. If they continue seeking God for His goodness, they will inevitably find out how great a price was paid for their salvation.
The divine gate may be very narrow (only Jesus Christ can save) but there are many roads to that gate. We are each of us unique and only God knows how to reach us. If we want to be reached, then we are lost sheep waiting to be found. And we will be found, sooner or later. If we do not want to be reached, then God is a gentleman who will not force us to believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joinfree

Nov 3, 2016
EU
✟36,708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Stop be called by the blasphemous name "atheist". Why can't you ask so: "I am human, your brother. I need to know, what there is the God. Can you help me out?"

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The divine gate may be very narrow (only Jesus Christ can save) but there are many roads to that gate.

Wise statement. Also found it interesting that members can be classified as "supporters" here. Good stuff. :bow:

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they continue seeking God for His goodness, they will inevitably find out how great a price was paid for their salvation.

I understand the rest of your post, but the Bible says there are no God seekers.

Romans 3:10-12 as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one; (11) no one understands; no one seeks for God. (12) All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one."

When God regenerated me, I was not seeking Him, I was in a very deep and dark world of sexual sin, drunkenness and depravity and depression, but in His grace He removed my heart of stone and gave me a heart of flesh, by revealing to me the wickedness and emptiness of the life I was living, my absolute rebellion to Him in my sin, and how gracious He had been by dying the death I rightfully deserved. I did not know the words at the time, but God caused me to repent of my sins and trust in Him alone for eternal life.

Before He gave me new life, the depression I felt was a consequence of (a symptom) of my rebellion to Him in my sin. The depression itself was not sin, but a result of the sin in my life. Sin was my greatest problem, not my depression. This is not say that there is no call to have empathy with one suffering from depression, but depression is not greatest problem of man.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.