Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Well, to some extent it is a guilt trip. Why is that a bad thing? Aren't we all guilty? There are plenty of people who have great lives on here on Earth, are you saying that means they don't need God?

Of course it matters how you frame it. You can just run up to people and say "hey, you're a evil horrible person, but don't worry God will save you if you repent". However, you can build a friendship with someone one day, and then you can start a discussion. You can ask them do they think it's wrong to steal, they will say yes. You can ask them how they would feel if someone stole from the, but then the judge let the thief go and decided it was okay the thief stole. Wouldn't they be upset? Of course. So if it is wrong for a judge to not punish a thief when he steals, why do we expect God not to punish us when we steal?

There has to be law and order. If no one is ever punished for crimes, then there is no law and order. Why do we think that God won't punish us when we commit crimes. Usually people say "well God will just forgive everyone", then you can ask about Hitler and Stalin etc, but eventually they will have to concede that God will punish all crime because he has to. A judge can't play favorites and just punish who he doesn't like and give a pass to the people he does like. That's how law and order works. Fortunately for us God took that punishment upon himself on the cross.

God does often times give us good things to enjoy in this life, and many of the principles in the Bible will lead to a better life if followed, but that's not the primary goal of Christianity. Christianity has always been about a relationship with God and forgiveness to enter into the second life.
Thanks for your input. I take a lot of what you said on board. Yes we are guilty but is guilt the right strategy ? I'm still not sure it is. A lot of us already feel guilty enough. More guilt mightn't appeal? I don't know. I don't have the answers. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Br4nd0n

Mar 24, 2017
Canada
✟71,497.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the holy spirit is in their hearts and they would be receptive,
I like romans 5:8
And i would explain how most people would maybe die to save a good mans life or maybe a family member, but no one would die for a murderer or rapist on death row. And i would hope that that in contrast to 5:8 would help express Gods love for him and his value to God, despite his depression. I dont know though, i need the Holy Ghost helping me there. Did you ever read any mark cahill? One Thing You Cant Do in Heaven is a book i found useful from him on evangelism.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Saint Nod

Saint Nod
Feb 15, 2017
australia
✟14,040.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi,
I have a high school Apologetics group which I do once a month. Just lately I have been using the Gospel presentation called "the big story" by MIT grad James Cheong. It is easy to use, uses circle, and you can find part A and part B on YouTube
But it also comes as a phone app.
When it comes to "atheists," quite often I have found with young adults and youth that what they really mean is that they are skeptics... but I also think it is important that God doesn't leave anyone of us alone, we all have a conscience... part of being made In His image... and God speaks to each one of us.... hopefully whatever you say or do will be a stone in their shoe!
Trust you like "The Big Story"

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Imagine I am young and unhappy and looking for answers. I'm unemployed and cant find a girlfriend. I feel so depressed I have contemplated suicide. I am desperate. I want an answer asap, otherwise...??
Teach him not to murder anyone, then he might not believe in killing himself. Drugs and alcohol can kill or harm. If the young man wants to hurt or kill himself, it might not be wise to give him a woman who he might also hurt or kill. Some suicidal people wanted to kill others too. Six of every ten gunshot deaths are suicides. Home owners who have a gun in their home are more likely to have a member of their household die of a gunshot wound than those homeowners who do not own a gun.

Strengthen the weak that they might be able to find work. Strong laborers are in demand. Teach him job skills, if you want to end poverty. Skilled workers are needed. Millions of jobs are not being filled. "The harvest is plentiful; the workers are few."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I like Sketcher's initial reply, listening closely, first the person and then to the Holy Spirit, is easier said than done. But desperate people have usually heard enough from men already. Who they need to hear from is God...

That having been said, I know what I would LIKE to say: My words, facial expressions, sympathies, etc. would all attempt to communicate HOPE to the depressed person; if they gave their life to God, He would lead them to the right girl in due time; if they sought first the kingdom of God, they could be guaranteed He would meet their material needs; if they opened their heart to walk in obedience to His word (such as by mediating only on what was of good report, always forgiving, thinking of others as better than themselves, spending time in prayer for others, etc.), their depression would soon be replaced with joy and laughter.

The trouble is that I've found most people, even most depressed people, are not yet ready to receive direct appeals to completely surrender their lives to God, which is why I think listening closely for the voice of the Holy Spirit is still the wisest approach. I believe the most effective evangelism is to speak prophetically into unbeliever's lives words of wisdom and knowledge which only God Himself would know; things about their past, present, or future. My personal opinion is that believers ought to be devoting themselves to incessant prayer and fasting for such gifts, so that when depressed people engage in conversations with us they end up not trading words with a mere mortal but having a supernatural encounter with God.

• Winner
Upvote 0

meconstant3402

Feb 26, 2014
✟11,932.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Consider in your heart what love is. Love is for example to help someone who is ill or injured in the street, as the Good Samaritan does, right? But it is also a very transcendent thing such as to die for your enemies' lives and to forgive them as you're dying. So start with God is love. Of course, you might not be experiencing good things in your life right now. Join the club. But there are many who are desperate, hungry, ill. Consider asking mercy for them without cease. Ask it of Jesus. Just do it. Try it. Don't think biochemically but spiritually.

Upvote 0

2consider

Sep 2, 2015
✟11,120.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Imagine I am young and unhappy and looking for answers. I'm unemployed and cant find a girlfriend. I feel so depressed I have contemplated suicide. I am desperate. I want an answer asap, otherwise...??
You want answers, but you don't ask any questions. It's seems inherent to 'young people" that they want everything handed to them, but don't want to put any effort into anything. You want answers, but you want them handed to you. I would first suggest you start asking questions. What is it you want answers to?

First I would ask you why you believe what you believe? Belief is something that is usually deeply ingrained, to change a person's beliefs, you have to pick apart what their current beliefs are. You if you don't believe there's a god, or at least the possibility there is a god, then I can't convince you Christianity is of any value.

The same way Christianity has been compromised by decades of chipping away at the foundations, so to, converting an atheist requires chipping away at the foundations of that belief.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How one reacts to this challenge depends how one encounters it.
Meeting this person in a queque for a bus etc and talking with them. One would respond differently to answering a post on reddit.
In both I would hope that I couldreact sympatheticly and to engage him in conversation to find out more and hopefully point him in the right direction.

It really depends on how willing he is to have his world views changed.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no way I can convince an atheist to become a Christian by coming up with the correct argument. I have not the ability to change hearts and minds with my words. All I feel able to do is to tell the truth and love my neighbor. Everything else is God's work not mine.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1. First and foremost, I can't convince you to repent of your sins and turn to Jesus Christ, that is the work of the Holy Spirit.
2. God is the Creator of all things, and if you claim to be an Atheist, the Bible says you are simply suppressing the truth in your unrighteousness, because you know God exist. The Bible says that you are playing the fool.
3. God is not an add-on to improve your life. He is the just and righteous judge of the universe, He has a righteous wrath against sin and disobedience. If you have ever lied, stolen, used God's name as a curse word, looked on someone with lust, hated someone, God sees you guilty of violating His perfect law. You are deserving of His justice. But Jesus came to earth to live the perfect life that we are incapable of living. He took the full wrath of God in place of those who turn from their sin and trust in Him and stop trusting in their self-righteousness. You can have forgiveness of sin only if you turn to Christ alone, by faith alone, by God's grace alone. If you die in your sins, God will give you justice, and He will send you to eternal Hell. He will do what is right, because He is good.

Following Christ does not mean you will have a perfectly happy life, find you a job, become weathy or find you a girlfriend. In fact, if you follow Christ, He promised that this world will hate you, and you will have many trials and tribulations, you may even lose your life. Jesus told His followers to count the cost to following Him. He did promise that He would be with His followers always, and He has overcome every temptation that man will ever see.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Wolftone

Apr 29, 2013
Under your stairs
✟16,046.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

God's creation is there for all to see. I assume that you have had the opportunity to hear the Gospel. You have a choice. Walk away and seek your own path or to draw close to our Lord and allow him to live within you.

I have asked the Lord to dwell within me and for the last eight years my life has taken on on a whole new meaning. I have a happy life now. It doesn't mean that my life is physically better (it is actually!) but my mindset guided by the principles of the gospel has changed and that is the difference.

I suppose that as viewed by an atheist, my paragraphs above are nothing but blah blah blah but, to be honest, that's not my concern. I just want to believe what I believe without someone telling me I'm an idiot, a fool or a dumbass. My friend, all I can say, after trying everything else, that my relationship with God is the only thing that has brought any true happiness or pleasure in my 57 years of life.

Good luck with it all. I have hope.

Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you are faced with a person who is a mess, help that person fix the mess first, then worry about evangelizing.
E.g. starving people have short attention spans, feed them first, then talk about Jesus.

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well young sir. I am sad that You are sad, christians can be sad too, I have been sad and burned out because of too much work. I met a mother once who tried to kill herself but didn't succed and now she changed her mind. She wanted to live. When I was a child I believed in Jesus and I had an after death experience. I still remember How I was fighting for my last breath and thinking Jesus help and indeed He did. However I know some people say noone goes to heaven and back again but that was my expierience. Well after that it is quite hard not to believe in God Jesus angels and the fact that my grandfather was there. He did get healed from cancer. I am not saying that my life is all fine now but I think Jesus Christ opened the way to God by paying for our sins on the cross when he walked on earth. There is so much we don't know because we are stuck in our tiny brains. Give God a chance in Your life, He has a bigger plan a bigger brain. No girlfriend and kids means more freedom and When I was untied I could travel in my work for the Lord. But now I do not. The Lord har different plans for everybody. All christians are different but suicide is all sad. Life is hope. Accept life it was given to You. You have a purpose in this world and God has a plan for Your life. The devil wants You and me and all of us maybe dead but that is not Gods plan. God is life and light and true peace so go follow Him. Start by reading a bible. The newtestament is what we follow basically now. Go to a church. Bibles can be found in bookstores in churches perhaps online on amazon or on christian bookstores online. You do not have to agree on everything the preacher says but try to find the good stuff and throw away the bad and forget about the bad. Preachers say sometimes too much or get wordstuck and try to sort themselves out in their own power rambling on instead of taking a paus looking at their notes and picking up where they stopped. They are human and can get nervous. If You have read the bible then You know more what preacher to believe. Being a true christian is not necessary an easy life in this world but it could be worse. At least You can die with dignity and peace and when it need be You can be the person that is courageous so start working on them muscles because they will be of much use. God bless You

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 11:25-30

I don't see any problem with using Matthew 11:28-30 in witnessing to a depressed person, even if this would be using these verses a little out of context. Jesus was actually declaring that His religious burden was light in comparison with the scribes and Pharisees, who were placing very heavy burdens on people by adding the traditions of men to the law (Matthew 23:13). Jesus said these words in response to the Pharisees condemning both Him and John the Baptist for not conforming themselves to their way of proselytizing (see Matthew 11:16-19). In other words, in Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus was actually telling everyone that the religious burden He was offering was light in comparison with that of the Pharisees.

Upvote 0

djp2240

Aug 18, 2013
✟7,701.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Its not our job to get you to believe. Gods Word says the preaching of the gospel is foolishness to those who will not trust it and salvation to those who will. Its not an intellectual process wholly. Gods Word says also the the invisible things of Him are clearly seen being understood by the things that are made so that they are without excuse. Somewhere in all of us is this understanding when we hear the truth. Its whether we are going to trust whats in us placed there by God

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

You might start with a message of the comforter, the Holy Ghost. Everyone likes feeling comfortable when they don't feel good inside, and God can provide that:

John: {14:15} If ye love me, keep my commandments. {14:16} And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; {14:17} [Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. {14:18} I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. {14:19} Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. {14:20} At that day ye shall know that I [am] in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. {14:21} He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

So the message in John is clear, then you should suggest Baptism and receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and taking of the sacrament and such, believing they should receive a comforter from God, and not only for comfort, but that they should be taught of God from the spirit of truth which also is called the Holy Ghost. And that doors should open up for them. :)

Upvote 0

Jorge

Mar 29, 2005
Florida
✟774.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To solve a problem, any problem, one must begin with identifying the cause of the problem. In your case you begin with "I am an Atheist". There's your cause. You list reasons for your unhappiness - no job, no girlfriend, depressed, desperate. Truth be told, if I were an Atheist I too would be unhappy. I've been with no job, no girlfriend .. destitute. But with God I never once became depressed or desperate. With God all situations in life are counted as "good". Without God there can be no *real* happiness - only a superficial, transitory, "false happiness" at best. Do you really believe that having a good job, a girlfriend, riches, fame, power or anything of this world will make you "happy"? Seek God first and foremost - make Him your # 1 priority.

Upvote 0

elbato

Sep 10, 2009
✟8,452.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think Jesus used the analogy of birth when he told Nicodemus he must be born again?
What contribution did you have to your first birth? Nothing!
What contribution do you have to your second birth? Nothing (other than asking for it)!
It's the Holy Spirit that stirs in man to accept Jesus.
Psalm 19 has always been a favorite of mine for proof of God's existence. "The heavens declare the glory of God". If you look up at the stars and are not convinced of God's existence, then you have not invited the Holy Spirit into you.
As for your life issues such as, no girlfriend, no job etc, being born again doesn't solve those. Look at the life of the deciples, all of them lost their lives for God with the exception of Paul who was sent to an island.
Don't believe false prophets like Joel Osteen, when they say, "you can have your best life now". Jesus told the rich man to "sell everything you have and give it to the poor".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.