Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Imagine I am young and unhappy and looking for answers. I'm unemployed and cant find a girlfriend. I feel so depressed I have contemplated suicide. I am desperate. I want an answer asap, otherwise...??

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JD16

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(for convenience sake just pretend I am an atheist. I want to see what strategies you use to get me to accept the Lord and Saviour)
Imagine I am young and unhappy and looking for answers. I'm unemployed and cant find a girlfriend. I feel so depressed I have contemplated suicide. I am desperate. I want an answer asap, otherwise...??

I wouldn't "get you to accept the Lord and Savior". Jesus isn't a cosmic social worker who exists to solve your problems. The problems you had before Jesus, you'll still have after Jesus.

Your problem first and foremost isn't that you need to "accept Jesus", but that you need Jesus to accept you.

I would preach the Gospel to you and call you to repent.

If all I did were to give you a little speech about how wonderful it is to "accept Jesus", I'd be no better than the woman in this video and you'd be no better off than the man in this video:

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2016
Mount
✟16,679.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'd tell them what I always tell them.

God says in his word that if you draw near to him he draws near to you. If you knock, he opens. If He exists, he has no other option than to honor his word.

Seek God out for yourself and if nothing comes of it, forget about it and let no man question you!

When they ask me how to do that I tell them "You can start by reading his word and praying, anything else is up to you"

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

FaithfulPilgrim

Eternally Seeking
Feb 8, 2015
South Carolina
✟39,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Alright, I'll take a shot at this.

Depression really sucks. I know, because I've also been through it. The good news is that it is temporary and conquerable. Suicide is one way of escaping the clutches of depression, but that would be giving into your enemy, that's exactly what depression wants you to do. You gotta fight it and can't let it win. Life's too short, so why waste it being depressed? Fortunately, there is another way out that doesn't involve ending your life. Would you like me to show you how to escape this pit?

I guess this is an RP of sorts?

Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
(for convenience sake just pretend I am an atheist. I want to see what strategies you use to get me to accept the Lord and Saviour)

I'll find you a job, and teach you how to keep a job. That's it.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Because I'd like to develop my own style of evangelising. What is the best way to convince non-believers? Non-believers who are so depressed and looking for answers. We have a huge responsibility if we are to draw people to the faith. I happen to think Christ is the answer, even though my journey is fairly short so far. What am I going to say? My Christian apologetics is poor. What verses from the Bible are crucial? I guess I might try the following:
"I am the way the truth and the life." But how is that going to sound to an unbeliever? It might sound like white noise. Irrelevant to where they are at the time. What layman's language is suitable?
Personally I found "Jesus died for your sins" a guilt trip. It didnt work. So different verses for different people.
I think what appealed to me at the time of conversion was being able to hand my worries over to God. that was very attractive.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Alright, I'll take a shot at this.

Depression really sucks. I know, because I've also been through it. The good news is that it is temporary and conquerable. Suicide is one way of escaping the clutches of depression, but that would be giving into your enemy, that's exactly what depression wants you to do. You gotta fight it and can't let it win. Life's too short, so why waste it being depressed? Fortunately, there is another way out that doesn't involve ending your life. Would you like me to show you how to escape this pit?

I guess this is an RP of sorts?
that's all I was looking for. Thanks.
See you're opening empathy statement? I like it. I'd use it too. They want to see a light at the end of the tunnel so your use of "temporary is crucial.
I think you've got a real feel for layman's language that works! it would work on me!
Well done!

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'd tell them what I always tell them.

God says in his word that if you draw near to him he draws near to you. If you knock, he opens. If He exists, he has no other option than to honor his word.

Seek God out for yourself and if nothing comes of it, forget about it and let no man question you!

When they ask me how to do that I tell them "You can start by reading his word and praying, anything else is up to you"
I found your post to be helpful with a nice tone.
"if you draw near to him, he draws near to you"....that is one I will write down. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Jesus isn't a cosmic social worker who exists to solve your problems. The problems you had before Jesus, you'll still have after Jesus.
He would make a great social worker though, don't you think? :)

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recommend you ask that question at the Christian site: www.biblecounsel.net, Paul, and see what you find there about God and eternal issues. I see that man must first believe there is a Creator-God, then want to know Him; then must appreciate that God has given mankind His immutable Word, and shown man eternal life and blessings in His Son ---the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God.

Advise one to first begin reading the Bible at John 1; John 3; John 14, to get an overview of the Gospel message. Reading the Bible at the Gospels, then Acts, then the Epistles, is advisable before one starts at Genesis to see creation, the history of man, and God's dealings with His covenant earthly people, Israel. Christianity is all about a relationship with our God, and not just a religion to try and follow. -Ever in Christ by grace alone, 1watchman

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ub4me

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2005
USA
✟20,873.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would say look around you. Creation itself speaks loudly of it's Creator. Look at the process of birth, and what a complicated piece of art we are, fashioned by the Master. Think of how the body is so put together to create and sustain life. Look at the reproductive, circulatory, digestive, nervous systems. How each part has a purpose, from your beating heart to your breath filled lungs. Your hands for grasping, your teeth for chewing. Ears to hear, eyes to see. Do you really think it is just happenstance? Or bang we were just here? If that were true your nose might have been on the top of your head, where you would literally drown in the rain.
Read the Bible, compare it with life today, look and see what was prophesied in days of old, that have come true. Look how we can see the unfolding of the times with a turn of every page. Search for Him there. Seek and you will find Him. What do you have to lose. You are down, lonely...empty inside. You will remain so, without God. For that void was meant to be filled with Him
Will you at least pray with me that the God of glory reveal Himself to you?
The sun, moon and stars, hang by His word. He is all around you, if you open your eyes and your heart...surely you will see...He was there all along.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I would say look around you. Creation itself speaks loudly of it's Creator. Look at the process of birth, and what a complicated piece of art we are, fashioned by the Master. Think of how the body is so put together to create and sustain life. Look at the reproductive, circulatory, digestive, nervous systems. How each part has a purpose, from your beating heart to your breath filled lungs. Your hands for grasping, your teeth for chewing. Ears to hear, eyes to see. Do you really think it is just happenstance? Or bang we were just here? If that were true your nose might have been on the top of your head, where you would literally drown in the rain.
Read the Bible, compare it with life today, look and see what was prophesied in days of old, that have come true. Look how we can see the unfolding of the times with a turn of every page. Search for Him there. Seek and you will find Him. What do you have to lose. You are down, lonely...empty inside. You will remain so, without God. For that void was meant to be filled with Him
Will you at least pray with me that the God of glory reveal Himself to you?
The sun, moon and stars, hang by His word. He is all around you, if you open your eyes and your heart...surely you will see...He was there all along.
These posts are not only helping me to develop an evangelical plan but are also reinforcing my own faith. Thanks you

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I can't give you a canned statement that I believe would convince somebody in that situation. I'd have to talk him, find out what he believes and why, and then inject truth as the Spirit directs.
Yeah I can understand that. it shows you are able to ad lib, which is a stage I haven't really reached yet. Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I recommend you ask that question at the Christian site: www.biblecounsel.net, Paul, and see what you find there about God and eternal issues. I see that man must first believe there is a Creator-God, then want to know Him; then must appreciate that God has given mankind His immutable Word, and shown man eternal life and blessings in His Son ---the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God.

Advise one to first begin reading the Bible at John 1; John 3; John 14, to get an overview of the Gospel message. Reading the Bible at the Gospels, then Acts, then the Epistles, is advisable before one starts at Genesis to see creation, the history of man, and God's dealings with His covenant earthly people, Israel. Christianity is all about a relationship with our God, and not just a religion to try and follow. -Ever in Christ by grace alone, 1watchman
Thanks . Are Catholics welcome on that site?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah I can understand that. it shows you are able to ad lib, which is a stage I haven't really reached yet. Thanks.
Not sure what you mean by that. Listening to other people and holding your tongue until you have something both solid and appropriate to their need is all this entails. Can you do that?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Not sure what you mean by that. Listening to other people and holding your tongue until you have something both solid and appropriate to their need is all this entails. Can you do that?
Oh listening too, of course. You make a good point. At some stage you are going to need to say something. Your Bible knowledge is such, that you can just cherry pick what you need at the time?

Upvote 0

Zatek

Mar 5, 2015
✟26,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Because I'd like to develop my own style of evangelising. What is the best way to convince non-believers? Non-believers who are so depressed and looking for answers. We have a huge responsibility if we are to draw people to the faith. I happen to think Christ is the answer, even though my journey is fairly short so far. What am I going to say? My Christian apologetics is poor. What verses from the Bible are crucial? I guess I might try the following:
"I am the way the truth and the life." But how is that going to sound to an unbeliever? It might sound like white noise. Irrelevant to where they are at the time. What layman's language is suitable?
Personally I found "Jesus died for your sins" a guilt trip. It didnt work. So different verses for different people.
I think what appealed to me at the time of conversion was being able to hand my worries over to God. that was very attractive.
Well, to some extent it is a guilt trip. Why is that a bad thing? Aren't we all guilty? There are plenty of people who have great lives on here on Earth, are you saying that means they don't need God?

Of course it matters how you frame it. You can just run up to people and say "hey, you're a evil horrible person, but don't worry God will save you if you repent". However, you can build a friendship with someone one day, and then you can start a discussion. You can ask them do they think it's wrong to steal, they will say yes. You can ask them how they would feel if someone stole from the, but then the judge let the thief go and decided it was okay the thief stole. Wouldn't they be upset? Of course. So if it is wrong for a judge to not punish a thief when he steals, why do we expect God not to punish us when we steal?

There has to be law and order. If no one is ever punished for crimes, then there is no law and order. Why do we think that God won't punish us when we commit crimes. Usually people say "well God will just forgive everyone", then you can ask about Hitler and Stalin etc, but eventually they will have to concede that God will punish all crime because he has to. A judge can't play favorites and just punish who he doesn't like and give a pass to the people he does like. That's how law and order works. Fortunately for us God took that punishment upon himself on the cross.

God does often times give us good things to enjoy in this life, and many of the principles in the Bible will lead to a better life if followed, but that's not the primary goal of Christianity. Christianity has always been about a relationship with God and forgiveness to enter into the second life.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oh listening too, of course. You make a good point. At some stage you are going to need to say something. Your Bible knowledge is such, that you can just cherry pick what you need at the time?
Well, I have read much of Scripture and thought about it. Even the passages that unbelievers claim are problematic. I do pay attention to sermons at church, they are about Scripture, context, and application. My church is Bible-based and has always emphasized loving people, so I don't see conservative teaching as opposed to love; I don't believe there is a trade-off between the truth and love if you're doing it right. I've been exposed to reasons why people don't believe, and I am able to analyze them critically, like reading a book that I disagree with. I've made it my business to know what I can, and I've made it my business to try and not be rude when sharing with people. When the truth brings conflict, as much as I can help it, I'm not going to be the bad guy.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.