How to pray for God's will to be done in my Life.

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
How can I pray for God's will to be in my Life when I want to have something else but can't have both?
That is called carrying your cross. Ask God for His will in spite of your own desires. Every Christian, at some time, faces their own, personal "Gethsemane" dilemma. Lord Jesus asked for the cup to pass Him by, but also that God's will be done. It's the time that sorts out those who mean business with God and those who just like the idea of being a Christian and going to heaven when you die. Whenever you choose God's will instead of self-will, it is a great victory. Eternal issues are being settled and those who turn away from self will be greatly rewarded in the next life. We get one shot at this life. Make the most of it. And God's will is always better than self will. It just does not seem like it at the time. I used to fear God's will. Now I fear not having God's will.

Upvote 0

Gwendolynz

Dec 25, 2019
Portland, OR
✟17,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
How can I pray for God's will to be in my Life when I want to have something else but can't have both?

God's will shall be done. We need to pray to be compliant to his will. Read and study "The Lord's Prayer". Think on Micah 6:8. You do not need a Priest or Pastor to explain them. You have the individual Priesthood of the Believer. Do your own prayer and supplication. Do not depend on the likes of Ravi Zacharias. I will have to study G.K. Chesterton, I was just reading about him. Perhaps there is something to be learned from him. Bless you.

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, first of all God’s will is that we be saved (1 Timothy 2:3-4), but also that we be sanctified (1 Thessalonians 4:3), Spirit-filled (Ephesians 5:17-18), submissive (1 Peter 2:13-15), suffering for His sake (1 Peter 3:17) and saying thanks (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

If we are doing all of these things, then God will guide us in His will for our lives. Psalm 37:4 says, “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.” In other words, if you are living according to His revealed will, He will place His desires in your heart and fulfill them. That’s also what Christ meant we He said for us to “seek first the kingdom of heaven and all these things will be added unto you.”

So, if you’re abiding in Him and His word is abiding in you, you can safely say that the desires you have in your heart have been placed there by God. Just keep praying and have the faith to believe “and He will direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:6

Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,677.00
Faith
Christian
Well, first of all God’s will is that we be saved (1 Timothy 2:3-4), but also that we be sanctified (1 Thessalonians 4:3), Spirit-filled (Ephesians 5:17-18), submissive (1 Peter 2:13-15), suffering for His sake (1 Peter 3:17) and saying thanks (1 Thessalonians 5:18).

If we are doing all of these things, then God will guide us in His will for our lives. Psalm 37:4 says, “Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.” In other words, if you are living according to His revealed will, He will place His desires in your heart and fulfill them. That’s also what Christ meant we He said for us to “seek first the kingdom of heaven and all these things will be added unto you.”

So, if you’re abiding in Him and His word is abiding in you, you can safely say that the desires you have in your heart have been placed there by God. Just keep praying and have the faith to believe “and He will direct your paths.” Proverbs 3:6

Y'know, I think that might actually be the only post I've seen in the last two or three years, that used bible verses (predominately) to make a point, that I've actually liked.

I honestly expected to shake my head with a wry smile when I saw those hyperlinks. Purely because I've become SO cynical with vast majority of Christians lately - perhaps as many as 90% of them. (None of them in this sub-forum thankfully.)

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Y'know, I think that might actually be the only post I've seen in the last two or three years, that used bible verses (predominately) to make a point, that I've actually liked.

I honestly expected to shake my head with a wry smile when I saw those hyperlinks. Purely because I've become SO cynical with vast majority of Christians lately - perhaps as many as 90% of them. (None of them in this sub-forum thankfully.)
Well, I hope that it was as much of a blessing to you as I hope it was to the OP as well.

Hope you’ve been well. :)

Reactions: Jazz Fan
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,677.00
Faith
Christian
Well, I hope that it was as much of a blessing to you as I hope it was to the OP as well.

Hope you’ve been well. :)

It's certainly what I needed to hear - you know me, I have a habit of being a bit Buddhist-like at times. I often feel torn between my own 'temple' (my mind) and God.

My faith and theology is messy and incredibly abstract, some might even say mad, but it's just my way of doing things I suppose. Is it right? Literally, who knows? *shrugs*

I've been well - I've actually been meaning to shoot you an Email for a while now, but I just keep forgetting. I hope all is well with you?

Reactions: leothelioness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A year or two ago I remember wondering if I should be single forever or if in about 10 or 20 years, if I was still alive, whether it would be ok to be in a relationship if I met someone.

I remember praying for wisdom in that but mid prayer changed my mind. I just said with a full heart that 'whatever I do, I only want to do Your will' I then realised how much I meant it. At that moment I stopped caring about what would happen in the future. But what was unexpected was the amount of peace and joy I have had in that area since. I don't even have to consider it, I know that I'm full of joy as I am and complete in Him. I have almost zero desire to be in a relationship in the distant future. It's zero practically every day.

I was content before that prayer about being single and was happily planning on being so until life was less busy and the kids grow up. But I often think that the Lord saw that willingness to live in His will and blessed me by removing any doubts and wavering. He took away the doublemindedness.

I couldn't decipher what you mean in your OP but I do sense some possible doublemindedness. I know I'm probably wrong. I say the next bit with love in my heart but maybe think about what a glorious place it is to be living at peace with God and blessed enough to do His will. Whether like Paul imprisonment in chains, it's still a marvellous place to be. The joy he had in Philippians, the peace and absolute faith.. just wow.

Sorry, I digressed. Be blessed dear brother/sister.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is called carrying your cross. Ask God for His will in spite of your own desires. Every Christian, at some time, faces their own, personal "Gethsemane" dilemma. Lord Jesus asked for the cup to pass Him by, but also that God's will be done. It's the time that sorts out those who mean business with God and those who just like the idea of being a Christian and going to heaven when you die. Whenever you choose God's will instead of self-will, it is a great victory. Eternal issues are being settled and those who turn away from self will be greatly rewarded in the next life. We get one shot at this life. Make the most of it. And God's will is always better than self will. It just does not seem like it at the time. I used to fear God's will. Now I fear not having God's will.
That's one thing I said in my prayer I was just writing about. 'Not my will, but Your Will'. I wasn't in a place of despair or future strife when I prayed that. How blessed are we to have the example of Christ, our Lord, God Himself still submitting to God the Father while on Earth?

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The same as Jesus.

Matthew 26:39
He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.

• Winner
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It's certainly what I needed to hear - you know me, I have a habit of being a bit Buddhist-like at times. I often feel torn between my own 'temple' (my mind) and God.

My faith and theology is messy and incredibly abstract, some might even say mad, but it's just my way of doing things I suppose. Is it right? Literally, who knows? *shrugs*

I've been well - I've actually been meaning to shoot you an Email for a while now, but I just keep forgetting. I hope all is well with you?
I’m glad it helped you. :) As to the rest of what you said just remember (another bit of Scripture coming at ya ^_^) Proverbs 3:5, “Lean not on your own understanding.” That’s the best way to line up with God’s truth and shut out the more human elements of our thoughts. :)

And please do! I’d love to hear from you. :)

Upvote 0