klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sadly they do not call it "the Lord's Day" in Acts 20 NOR do they say "we gathered to break bread as we do every week-day-1".

Rather the "gathering" was because Paul was departing - it was a singular farewell service for Paul.

By contrast "EVERY Sabbath" Acts 18:4 gathering for worship and Gospel preaching.
Attention BobRyan.

Acts 18:4
And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.

There is no mention of worship in this verse, where did you get that idea from.

Paul preached the Gospel in synagogues but this has nothing to do with celebrating the resurrected Christ!

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Attention BobRyan.

Acts 18:4
And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.

Thanks for drawing our attention to that.

4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.KJV
4 and he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath, persuading both Jews and Greeks.YLT
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks. NKJV

Those "persuaded" Jews and Greeks - keep coming back and hearing Paul preach the Gospel. Every Sabbath.

There is no mention of worship in this verse,

The wild speculation that no worship happens in the Synagogues every Sabbath while listening to the Gospel -- is yours to hold on to if you wish.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Paul preached the Gospel in synagogues but this has nothing to do with celebrating the resurrected Christ!

Agreed - Sabbath services are not a weekly memorial of a one time event in the life of Christ. Though that Gospel aspect comes in to it every Sabbath.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for drawing our attention to that.

4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.KJV
4 and he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath, persuading both Jews and Greeks.YLT
4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks. NKJV

Those "persuaded" Jews and Greeks - keep coming back and hearing Paul preach the Gospel. Every Sabbath.

The wild speculation that no worship happens in the Synagogues every Sabbath while listening to the Gospel -- is yours to hold on to if you wish.
Hello BobRyan.

I am not sure why you think preaching the Gospel is worship?

Worship and preaching the Gospel are different events.

The audience for the preaching of the Gospel are unbelievers.

The audience for celebrating the resurrection are believers.

Two different groups of people.

Preaching the messiah during a synagogue service, is different to gathering together to celebrate the risen Christ. Even down to this very day, you would be hard pressed to find a synagogue celebrating the risen Christ.

Look no further than say the temple in Jerusalem, people never celebrated the risen Christ during a service in the temple. The same actually goes for every synagogue on earth. You can preach the gospel but you will be evicted eventually.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Agreed - Sabbath services are not a weekly memorial of a one time event in the life of Christ. Though that Gospel aspect comes in to it every Sabbath.
Hello BobRyan.

You are confused.

The sabbath is a day of rest according to the commandment, nothing more, nothing less.

Preaching the gospel is not restricted to any particular day or night of the week.

Worship is what believers perform, the gospel is preached to unbelievers.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello BobRyan.

You are confused.

The sabbath is a day of rest according to the commandment, nothing more, nothing less.

Until you read the actual Bible (as you well know)

Isaiah 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL Mankind come before Me to worship"
Lev 23:1-3 the weekly Sabbath "a day of holy convocation"
Acts 18:4 meeting "every Sabbath" in the synagogues for Gospel preaching -- instead of merely "sleeping every Sabbath in their beds".... obviously.

Preaching the gospel is not restricted to any particular day or night of the week as we all agree.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello BobRyan.

I am not sure why you think preaching the Gospel is worship?

Hello David - I am not sure why you think that the Jews and gentiles who gathered every Sabbath in the Synagogue were so most certainly not in a worship service.

No Jew buys that speculation today.
In fact it would be hard to find a single Bible scholar that would promote such a thing.

D.L. Moody
Baptist Confession of Faith
Westminster Confession of Faith
Catholic Catechism ...

All admit that the the Bible Sabbath was the day of worship as given by God

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello David - I am not sure why you think that the Jews and gentiles who gathered every Sabbath in the Synagogue were so most certainly not in a worship service.

No Jew buys that speculation today.
In fact it would be hard to find a single Bible scholar that would promote such a thing.

D.L. Moody
Baptist Confession of Faith
Westminster Confession of Faith
Catholic Catechism ...

All admit that the the Bible Sabbath was the day of worship as given by God

Exodus 20
8 “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

The commandment makes no mention of worshiping God?

BobRyan, the commandment specifies what you must not do, i.e., work.

You only need to remember that God created the heavens and the earth.

Tell me whether I'm reading the commandment as it is written?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Exodus 20
8 “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath of the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy.

The commandment makes no mention of worshiping God?

True and it makes no mention of not taking God's name in vain.

IF we only had that little 4 verse snip "as our entire Bible" there might be a lot of things we would not know.

But the same God who had Moses write that in Exodus - also told him in Lev 23:1-3 that it is a day of "holy convocation"

This is called exegesis -- taking all that the Bible says on a specific doctrine to understand it fully.

It is the Word of God.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
True and it makes no mention of not taking God's name in vain.

IF we only had that little 4 verse snip "as our entire Bible" there might be a lot of things we would not know.

But the same God who had Moses write that in Exodus - also told him in Lev 23:1-3 that it is a day of "holy convocation"

This is called exegesis -- taking all that the Bible says on a specific doctrine to understand it fully.

It is the Word of God.
Still the ministry of death is the reason we celebrate the risen Christ on the first day.

2 Corinthians 3:7
But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was...

Don't be caught teaching the ministry of death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Still the ministry of death is the reason we celebrate the risen Christ on the first day.

Wouldn't it be great if there actually was a Bble text that said we celebrate the risen Christ every first day of the week because of the "ministry of death"?

Wouldn't it be great if there actually was a Bble text that said we celebrate the risen Christ every first day of the week?

Hint: -- it is "still a sin" to take God's name in vain.

No wonder Christ quote from the TEN - in Matthew 19
No wonder Paul quotes that same select list in Romans 13
No wonder Paul references the "unit of TEN" Eph 6:2 as still binding on the saints
No wonder Paul says "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
No wonder James quotes from the unit of "TEN" in James 2
No wonder "the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" 1 Cor 7:19
No wonder Paul says it iis only the lost that "do not submit to the LAW of God neither indeed CAN they"
No wonder when Paul speaks of the moral law of God that condemns all the world as sinners in Rom 3:19-20 he concludes with "do we then make VOID the LAW of God by our faith? God forbid! In fact we ESTABLISH the LAW" Rom 3:31

Even in the NT "SIN IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4

Thus it is "still a sin" to take God's name in vain even under the NEW Covenant where the LAW of God known to Jeremiah is "written on the heart and mind"

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

2 Corinthians 3:7
But if the ministry of death, in letters engraved on stones, came with glory, so that the sons of Israel could not look intently at the face of Moses because of the glory of his face, fading as it was...

Don't be caught teaching the ministry of death.

Hmmm.... Why do you not include the rest of Paul's thought?

3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4 And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

Let's start at verse 3. What are the "tables of stone" Paul is referring to? There is only one set of tables of stone in the Bible. The tables of stone upon which God wrote the 10 commandments with His own finger. And where is this same thing to now be written? In the fleshly tables of the heart. The 10 commandments are to written in the heart. And who is to write them? The Spirit of the living God.

Then Paul goes on to say that he isn't of himself sufficient to think anything of himself, but his sufficency is from God in verse 5. Paul isn't sufficient to teach about God by and of himself. Then in verse 6 he says that God has made him an able minister through this new testament, this new covenant. And what was the new covenant? Jeremiah tells us what it is: that the law is to be written upon the heart. That's exactly what Paul refers to in verse 3. So, Paul is an able minister of this new covenant because God has written His law upon Paul's heart through the work of the Holy Spirit for that is the epistle of Christ as Paul says in verse 3.

Then in verses 7 and 8 Paul goes on to say how glorious the giving of the 10 commandments were as the Israelites couldn't stand to look directly at the face of Moses because the glory of the Lord was shining there. And then finishes up with saying that this new covenant was going to be far more glorious than Moses' face was. It would shine with far more glory.

So why were the 10 commandments a ministry of death to the Israelites? Because they promised to do all that God had said all by themselves.
Exodus 19: 8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the Lord hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the Lord.

Notice there is no mention of needing God's help. This is their declaration of doing everything God required of them in their own ability. And notice that Moses took their reply to God. God held them accountable for their promise that they could not keep. Yet God also later gave them a promise to circumcise their hearts in Dueteronomy. Paul refers to this in Colossians 2:11 as the circumcision done without hands. The circumcision that only God can perform as that circumcision made those he was speaking to "complete in Him".

To think we can keep God's law on our own hook is to make, for us, the 10 commandments a ministry of death for it makes no provision for forgiveness nor restoration back into God's image. But having the 10 commandments written in our hearts, the very seat of thought and action, enables us to keep the law for it is then in agreement with the nature given us at our new birth in Christ.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm.... Why do you not include the rest of Paul's thought?

Let's start at verse 3. What are the "tables of stone" Paul is referring to? There is only one set of tables of stone in the Bible. The tables of stone upon which God wrote the 10 commandments with His own finger. And where is this same thing to now be written? In the fleshly tables of the heart. The 10 commandments are to written in the heart. And who is to write them? The Spirit of the living God.

Then Paul goes on to say that he isn't of himself sufficient to think anything of himself, but his sufficency is from God in verse 5. Paul isn't sufficient to teach about God by and of himself. Then in verse 6 he says that God has made him an able minister through this new testament, this new covenant. And what was the new covenant? Jeremiah tells us what it is: that the law is to be written upon the heart. That's exactly what Paul refers to in verse 3. So, Paul is an able minister of this new covenant because God has written His law upon Paul's heart through the work of the Holy Spirit for that is the epistle of Christ as Paul says in verse 3.

Then in verses 7 and 8 Paul goes on to say how glorious the giving of the 10 commandments were as the Israelites couldn't stand to look directly at the face of Moses because the glory of the Lord was shining there. And then finishes up with saying that this new covenant was going to be far more glorious than Moses' face was. It would shine with far more glory.

So why were the 10 commandments a ministry of death to the Israelites? Because they promised to do all that God had said all by themselves.

Notice there is no mention of needing God's help. This is their declaration of doing everything God required of them in their own ability. And notice that Moses took their reply to God. God held them accountable for their promise that they could not keep. Yet God also later gave them a promise to circumcise their hearts in Dueteronomy. Paul refers to this in Colossians 2:11 as the circumcision done without hands. The circumcision that only God can perform as that circumcision made those he was speaking to "complete in Him".

To think we can keep God's law on our own hook is to make, for us, the 10 commandments a ministry of death for it makes no provision for forgiveness nor restoration back into God's image. But having the 10 commandments written in our hearts, the very seat of thought and action, enables us to keep the law for it is then in agreement with the nature given us at our new birth in Christ.
Hello Gary.

We have two completely different interpretations of the same passage.

I see love poured into our hearts, you see the letter of the law etched into our hearts.

I see loving others as Christ loved us as a commandment, you see, thou shall not covet.

You see Gentiles as under the law, I see Gentiles as never under the law.

I see your interpretation as heresy, you look at what I say and you see heresy.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello Gary.

I see love poured into our hearts, you see the letter of the law etched into our hearts.

I see loving others as Christ loved us as a commandment, you see, thou shall not covet.

You see not coveting as the pinnacle of Christian love, I see loving others as the very work of the Holy Spirit.

We are from very different worlds.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello Gary.

Actually, what I bolded in your post is not what I said. But, let's move on from that for the moment.

You say that not coveting what your neighbor has is not proof of loving your neighbor. Well, just following the list of the commandments from Exodus 20 I have a list of 10 questions for you. I want you to answer them as you say loving your neighbor and God is separate from the 10 commandments. Therefore, I want you to prove to me that you can still love your neighbor and God while at the same time breaking the commandments.

Exodus 20: 3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourthgeneration of them that hate me;
6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in itthou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
12 ¶Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.
13 Thou shalt not kill.
14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
15 Thou shalt not steal.
16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

Let's take the verses 3 throug 11 first. I would like you to explain to me how breaking any of them proves love for God.
1. How is love for God expressed by placing another god before Him in your life?
2. How is love for God expressed by worshipping an idol?
3. How does bowing down and serving another god express love for God?
4. How does not setting aside the day God asks to honor by not working express love for God? If your wife asks you to take one day a week out of your schedule and spend it with her, do you refuse to do it and say that you're not doing it because you love her? This second question is relevant because God has used the marriage analogy time after time to express His desire for a close relationship with us.

Now lets look at the last six commandments found in verses 12 through 17.

5. How does not honoring your father and mother express your love for them?
6. How does killing your neighbor, brother, associate, or even a stranger, exprss your love for that person?
7. How does committing adultery with your neighbor's wife express your love for your neighbor and your wife?
8. How does stealing from another person express your love love them?
9. How does lying about someone express your love for them?
10. How does becoming coveteous of your neighbor's possessions, and even his wife, express your love for your neighbor?

Now, if all of the behaviors above are not an expression of love, what do these behaviors express?

Now let's look at your next to the last sentence in which you assert Gentiles have never been under the law. The first thing I will ask you is this: Was Paul's mission, given to him by Jesus, to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles?

Galatians 3: 21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Once again your assertion goes directly against the words of Paul. He says, "scripture hath concluded all under sin". Then he says, "we were kept under the law". And then, "the law was our schoolmaster". Who was Paul writing to, Jews or Gentiles, in his letter to the Galatians? Furthermore, John the beloved says in IJohn 3:4 that whosoever commits sin transgresses the law, for sin is the transgression of the law. It seems to me your assertion that Gentiles have never been under the law is a claim Gentiles have never sinned. In that case we Gentiles have no need of a Saviour.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,369.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Therefore, I want you to prove to me that you can still love your neighbor and God while at the same time breaking the commandments. .

good point - because 1 John 5:2-3 says that is not even possible.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no mention of worship in this verse, where did you get that idea from.
No need to say it as everyone knew what went on in the synagogues.

It is kind of like saying that because the text does not specifically say so - no one was eating at the restaurant.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Actually, what I bolded in your post is not what I said. But, let's move on from that for the moment.

You say that not coveting what your neighbor has is not proof of loving your neighbor. Well, just following the list of the commandments from Exodus 20 I have a list of 10 questions for you. I want you to answer them as you say loving your neighbor and God is separate from the 10 commandments. Therefore, I want you to prove to me that you can still love your neighbor and God while at the same time breaking the commandments.

Let's take the verses 3 throug 11 first. I would like you to explain to me how breaking any of them proves love for God.
1. How is love for God expressed by placing another god before Him in your life?
2. How is love for God expressed by worshipping an idol?
3. How does bowing down and serving another god express love for God?
4. How does not setting aside the day God asks to honor by not working express love for God? If your wife asks you to take one day a week out of your schedule and spend it with her, do you refuse to do it and say that you're not doing it because you love her? This second question is relevant because God has used the marriage analogy time after time to express His desire for a close relationship with us.

Now lets look at the last six commandments found in verses 12 through 17.

5. How does not honoring your father and mother express your love for them?
6. How does killing your neighbor, brother, associate, or even a stranger, exprss your love for that person?
7. How does committing adultery with your neighbor's wife express your love for your neighbor and your wife?
8. How does stealing from another person express your love love them?
9. How does lying about someone express your love for them?
10. How does becoming coveteous of your neighbor's possessions, and even his wife, express your love for your neighbor?

Now, if all of the behaviors above are not an expression of love, what do these behaviors express?

Now let's look at your next to the last sentence in which you assert Gentiles have never been under the law. The first thing I will ask you is this: Was Paul's mission, given to him by Jesus, to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles?

Once again your assertion goes directly against the words of Paul. He says, "scripture hath concluded all under sin". Then he says, "we were kept under the law". And then, "the law was our schoolmaster". Who was Paul writing to, Jews or Gentiles, in his letter to the Galatians? Furthermore, John the beloved says in IJohn 3:4 that whosoever commits sin transgresses the law, for sin is the transgression of the law. It seems to me your assertion that Gentiles have never been under the law is a claim Gentiles have never sinned. In that case we Gentiles have no need of a Saviour.
Hello Gary.

If you love Jesus then you love God, no need for a written commandment about other Gods.

If you love others as Christ has loved you, then your probably not trying to murder anyone.

Gentiles are not under the letter of the law, never will be under the law.

Gentiles have sinned and Gentiles are utterly lawless, but so were the Jews, that is what the Old Testament tells us. The Jews were never obedient to the law, they went further and even crucified their own messiah. Though the messiah, Jesus, was found to be innocent by the Gentiles, even though the Gentiles did not even have the written law.

Having the letter of the law makes no real difference in the end to an evil person. The evidence seems to indicate that the letter of the law, tends to make one a proud and arrogant person. The letter of the law never regenerates anyone's heart.

All have fallen short of the requirement of the law. Only one person ever fulfilled the law!

On judgement day there will be no one standing proudly when Christ returns, all knees will bend, all heads will bow. Have a good hard look at what happened to the prophets in the Old Testament, when they saw God sitting on the throne. None of the prophets were boasting that they were obedient to the law, just the opposite was true. Unclean prophets, all of them, standing before the Holy One, not even able to look at God or to even speak for that matter.

What difference is there between any two law breakers, no difference whatsoever. The penalty for sin is exactly the same for everyone, unless you think somehow that you are different?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No need to say it as everyone knew what went on in the synagogues.

It is kind of like saying that because the text does not specifically say so - no one was eating at the restaurant.
Hello Dave.

The Sabbath at it's heart is a day of rest, a day to remember the creator.

The first day when Jesus arose, is the day we remember our savior.

Different days for different reasons.

The Sabbath was broken by everyone, none will stand on judgement day, including those who believe that they follow the letter of the law.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello Gary.

If you love Jesus then you love God, no need for a written commandment about other Gods.

If you love others as Christ has loved you, then your probably not trying to murder anyone.

Gentiles are not under the letter of the law, never will be under the law.

Gentiles have sinned and Gentiles are utterly lawless, but so were the Jews, that is what the Old Testament tells us. The Jews were never obedient to the law, they went further and even crucified their own messiah. Though the messiah, Jesus, was found to be innocent by the Gentiles, even though the Gentiles did not even have the written law.

Having the letter of the law makes no real difference in the end to an evil person. The evidence seems to indicate that the letter of the law, tends to make one a proud and arrogant person. The letter of the law never regenerates anyone's heart.

All have fallen short of the requirement of the law. Only one person ever fulfilled the law!

On judgement day there will be no one standing proudly when Christ returns, all knees will bend, all heads will bow. Have a good hard look at what happened to the prophets in the Old Testament, when they saw God sitting on the throne. None of the prophets were boasting that they were obedient to the law, just the opposite was true. Unclean prophets, all of them, standing before the Holy One, not even able to look at God or to even speak for that matter.

What difference is there between any two law breakers, no difference whatsoever. The penalty for sin is exactly the same for everyone, unless you think somehow that you are different?

Hey Klute,

I'm guessing this is your response to all the questions I asked because you can't answer the questions without admitting that breaking those commandments shows a lack of love for God and for our fellow man. Otherwise you would have shown me exactly how breaking the commandments expresses love for both God and man.

Who said anyone would be standing proudly at judgment day because they had kept the law on their own? Where did I even come close to implying such a thing? You have ignored the entire thrust of my argument which is that keeping the law is possible only because the Holy Spirit writes it in our hearts, transforming us back into God's image. That's nothing we can glory in, for we cannot do it ourselves. We are incapble of doing that. Only a power outside of us can change our very natures. As the Bible says, the leopard cannot change his spots or the Ethiopian his skin, therefore neither can we who are accustomed to do evil do good. We need a power over and above us to perform that within us. That's Paul's point in 2 Corinthians 3: 3-8. The Holy Spirit had to write the law in his heart, the seat of his motives and ways of thought, for him to become an effective minister of the new covenant. When He does that the law is no longer a ministry of death. We have God's word on this.
Leviticus 18: 5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the Lord.

God makes many more promises along these lines. I'll give you one of them right now.

Ezekiel 36: 25 ¶Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

What a promise. God will cause us to live within his statutes and keep His judgments, and do them.

Paul also shows us who will not get to heaven.
Galatians 5: 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Notice that all the things Paul lists are violations of the 10 commandments. Fortunately for us he shows us another list. Notice that this is another one of God's promises to us that we can keep the commandments of God because of His power to change us.
Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Look at that. Paul says the fruit of the Spirit working in our lives results in a life that violates no law. And he shows us what the Spirit's work is in 2Corinthians 3:3-8. It is the writing of the law in our hearts.

Jesus tells us how this keeping of the law of God works in real life.
Matthew 7: 12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
Practicing the Golden Rule is the keeping of the law of God. You know, all those things written in the 10 commandments that you wouldn't want done to you: stolen from, murdered, lied about, having your children disrespect you, having your neighbor covet not only all you own but your wife too, having your wife sleep around on you. Treating others in the manner described by the 10 commandments is the way to life for it is living according to the principle of love.

The 10 commandments are the expression of the principle of love for our fellow man, and I'd hate to have to argue with Jesus about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0