Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Quote "you" much??

The Bible says --
"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19 because that is what people do who are not under the condemnation of the law as lost sinners.

Paul says the entire world -- and every mouth under the Law - for it condemns all mankind as sinners and in need of the Gospel.

Rom 3
19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.
Read it carefully.

Rom 3
19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law

Who was under the law?

Not the Gentiles and that's for sure.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Since there is an argument about Romans 3:19 why don't we add the context of the verse, as verse 20 explains verse 19.

Here is the meaning of the word therefore:

The "therefore" at the beginning of verse 20 refers back to verse 19. Whatever the law says it says to those who have broken it, and are under its condemnation. Why? So every mouth may be stopped and the entire world may be seen as guilty before God. Therefore, no deeds of the law can justify anyone in the sight of God.

We could also restate verse 20 as "For this reason, by the deeds of the law shall no flesh be justified...."

This is very easy to understand. If I broke God's law only once in my life I would still be a sinner after that one sin. I could never be seen as perfect ever again. I would always be guilty of breaking God's law. No matter how perfectly I kept the law after that it could never justify me. I would need a Savior to justify me, to place me once again within a right relationship to God.

That is the entire meaning of Romans 3:19,20. There is no big hidden meaning. There is nothing that excludes me, a Gentile, from being under the curse of the law. Gentiles can not be separated from the words "every" and the phrase "all the world". We are part and parcel of the world, and we are included with the word "every". There is no way out of the wording. Every does not mean except. It does not mean, every person but. It means every single person. To insist that every means "all people except this group of people" means that someone wants to argue that words have no real meaning. They are arguing against the English language itself.
Hello Gary.

I replied to an earlier post of yours, please check post #93.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe you can explain how it is 'still sin' to take God's name in vain and how it would be sin for you to do it... and yet you are not "under the law" that says not to take God's name in vain and makes it a sin.

I have explained it to you 50 times by now but you don't seem to be listening - so why don't you explain it for us this time.

50 times, huh? How many times have we explained walking in the Spirit to you?

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
on the contrary Paul will go on from Acts 13... to Acts 18:4 with "EVERY SABBATH" Gospel preaching in the Synagogue -- as we both know.

Sadly we have "no EVERY week-day-1 Gospel preaching" in the NT... as we both know.

Well, technically we have every day preaching in Acts 19 for two years after they had to leave the synagogue.

Acts 19:8 And he went into the synagogue and spoke boldly for three months, reasoning and persuading concerning the things of the kingdom of God. 9 But when some were hardened and did not believe, but spoke evil of the Way before the multitude, he departed from them and withdrew the disciples, reasoning daily in the school of Tyrannus. 10 And this continued for two years, so that all who dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
klute,

By the way, here's the list of synonyms for divination.

But then you already knew that. It just suited your purposes to play ignorant.
Divination and witchcraft are separate sins.

“When you enter the land which the Lord your God gives you, you shall not learn to imitate the detestable things of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead.” (Deuteronomy 18:9-11)

They are mentioned separately, they are not the same sin.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Easy to explain, Paul in the early days of Christianity, had the habit of going to the synagogues to preach the gospel. Soon though, Paul would abandon this practice and concentrate on the Gentiles.
Because that was his calling. Peter, James and the rest still concentrated on the Jews.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because that was his calling. Peter, James and the rest still concentrated on the Jews.
Yes I agree.

Yet the reason Paul left the synagogues was that the Jews continually rejected the gospel.

But when Silas and Timothy came down from Macedonia, Paul began devoting himself completely to the word, solemnly testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ. But when they resisted and blasphemed, he shook out his garments and said to them, “Your blood be on your own heads! I am clean. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.” Then he left there and went to the house of a man named Titius Justus, a worshiper of God, whose house was next to the synagogue. (Acts 18:5-7)

Gentiles who were not proselytes to Judaism were not in the synagogues. Even down to this day, Gentiles do not attend synagogues, only Jewish proselytes attend.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello Gary.

The letter of the law is straight forward, the ten commandments are very easy to understand. Avoid committing the act of adultery and you have obeyed the law. Though lusting after women is not prohibited by the letter of the law.

It is important to understand the difference between the letter of the law, and the lusts of the flesh. You could be obsessed with junk food, be obese, yet gluttony is not mentioned directly in the law. You could have issues with gambling on the stock exchange, yet gambling is not even in the law. We can accumulate great wealth and not really alleviate financial distress in others, we ignore the poor.

As I said before, witchcraft and sorcery are not mentioned in the ten commandments.
Next, you will be telling me that drunkenness is also in the ten commandments.

IJohn 3: 4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Galatians 5: 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Revelation 14: 12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Revelation 22: 14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

IJohn 3: 6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Matthew 7: 21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Both Jews and gentiles were accepting the Gospel in those Sabbath after Sabbath sermon examples -- and while there were also some other Jews rejecting -- there was the accepting group and "every Sabbath" Acts 18:4 they were hearing and accepting the Gospel.

And, we have examples from scripture that show Paul taught the Jews and the Gentiles the same thing, the same Gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BelleC

Jun 27, 2016
US
✟26,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are there no mods on this forum????
Since Adventists here are way too nice and willing to let ant-Sabbath posters take over I'll just do a quick copy-paste for our fellow Christians visiting this sub.
This is from the stickied statement of purpose:
1) It is not debate or apologetics (defense).

Those who disagree with a congregation’s Statement of Faith will not discuss reasons for or against any subject being discussed on this sub-forum. This includes questions that essentially are rebuttal or argumentative in nature. Those who disagree will not engage in theological discussions that defend their particular point of view on scriptural, theological, doctrinal, social, or political issues.

2) It is not answering questions or teaching.

Only a member of the congregational forum may give answers to and instruct on doctrinal questions. While there may be many very good ideas on the subject from non-members, they may not give instruction. Earnest questions are always welcome, from anyone.

3) What Fellowship is:

Essentially fellowship is defined as the discussion of topics of association, of companionship - i.e. discussions of things like friends, family, work..... these topics are fellowship. Posts that offer friendship would certainly be described as fellowship. Also no matter the discussion, messages posted to this board must be polite.

Upvote 0

BelleC

Jun 27, 2016
US
✟26,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Mod hat on
Thread has gone thru a cleanup
do not post flames/goads as they may be actioned
Carry on
Sorry, just saw this after reading many tedious anti-Sabbath posts! I've gone to many different churches and never thought to start telling fellow visitors why I thought the church I visited was wrong for various beliefs but apparently no one thinks twice to do that to Adventists. It's depressing when you're trying to see the best in fellow Christians.

Upvote 0