Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Only if it's fairly shared. Since 2009 88% of wealth growth has gone to corporate profits, and only slightly more than 1% has gone to wages. These profits are not benefiting the people.

Since 2009, 88 Percent Of Income Growth Went To Corporate Profits, Just One Percent Went To Wages | ThinkProgress
To look at such a short period of time would seem to be myopic regarding this discussion. Take any number of corporations that started with little or nothing, made profits, expanded, made even more profits and expanded even more. Apple comes to mind as does Microsoft and even the dreaded Walmart. Corporate profits have benefited millions of employees.

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like to see corporations succeed as well. But in a way that is more about people than profits.

Then you start one and run it that way. I suspect that rather early on in your planning stage you will come to the realization that corporations exist for the purpose of making profit.

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Then you start one and run it that way. I suspect that rather early on in your planning stage you will come to the realization that corporations exist for the purpose of making profit.

Corporations exist to make profit for the stock holders and the owners. Why shouldn't it be that corporations exist to make profit for the stock holders, the owners, and the employees? It used to be that way with everyone's income rising by about the same percentages, but somewhere along the line the workers got booted out of the group. Why is that?

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Corporations exist to make profit for the stock holders and the owners. Why shouldn't it be that corporations exist to make profit for the stock holders, the owners, and the employees? It used to be that way with everyone's income rising by about the same percentages, but somewhere along the line the workers got booted out of the group. Why is that?

Not to mention the premise that "corporations exist to make profit." does not mean "corporations exist to make profit while the slow accumulation of laws and incidents involving poorly created regulation,etc has resulted in a severe income inequality shift. Working at intended!"

Appologists arguing the latter or either liars, opportunists or delusion.

We have broken capitalism=/=capitalism baaaaaaaad!

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Corporations exist to make profit for the stock holders and the owners. Why shouldn't it be that corporations exist to make profit for the stock holders, the owners, and the employees?
They do, and workers see it in the form of wages, benefits and opportunities to move up

It used to be that way with everyone's income rising by about the same percentages, but somewhere along the line the workers got booted out of the group. Why is that?
Sorry, but the corporations still have workers who are still getting wages, benefits and have opportunities for advancement

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Meaning that you don't hold yourself to the same criteria as you do others, namely J.P. Morgan?

Yes, I like to see corporations succeed. It's good for all of us.
Your question is a non sequitur.

Profits benefit people :wave:
They sure do. The people at the top that are cashing in. Good observation.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And your answer is special pleading.
Cashing in on good investment sense. You're saying that's wrong?

Send in your income and see how you like it. (that's tu quoque, but it's also a great informal test of seriousness).

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you recall, I said I was asking out of curiosity. I wonder why one would want a current company to fail because of former alleged sins.
And not only do the employees on down the line benefit, the consumer does as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
And your answer is special pleading.

Cashing in on good investment sense. You're saying that's wrong?

Send in your income and see how you like it. (that's tu quoque, but it's also a great informal test of seriousness).
If I made 100 million a year (just a random figure, nice round number) and sent in 80 million of it...I wouldn't miss it.

See what I'm getting at here?

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I made 100 million a year (just a random figure, nice round number) and sent in 80 million of it...I wouldn't miss it.

It's all relative. I'm sure there's a little extra you could send in now that you wouldn't miss. Or is it only others you want to force your will upon.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Horse Puckey. If you saw how it was being wasted, you wouldn't do this.

You might give it to charities you considered worthy of the name. But it wouldn't go to the government.

If you were sued for $50M of it, (1/3 more going to lawyers to respond to the suit in the courts) you also wouldn't "send it in".

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Horse Puckey. If you saw how it was being wasted, you wouldn't do this.

You might give it to charities you considered worthy of the name. But it wouldn't go to the government.

If you were sued for $50M of it, (1/3 more going to lawyers to respond to the suit in the courts) you also wouldn't "send it in".
I was using your terminology. Apparently I shouldn't have. I did not mean send it back to the government. And I didn't realize that's what you meant.

Sorry for being unclear.

Let me just reword that completely.

If I made 100 million a year (just a random figure, nice round number) and all of a sudden I started making 20 million, I'd still be doing quite well for myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

heymikey80

Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was using your terminology. Apparently I shouldn't have. I did not mean send it back to the government. And I didn't realize that's what you meant.

Sorry for being unclear.

Let me just reword that completely.

If I made 100 million a year (just a random figure, nice round number) and all of a sudden I started making 20 million, I'd still be doing quite well for myself.

Once again:

If you were sued for $50M and had to pay $16M to defend against it (a normal scenario in today's legal system), you wouldn't be happy with suddenly being paid $20M.

Game & Set. Care for a match?

Google of [CEO Lawsuit] "about 48M results"

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Once again:

If you were sued for $50M and had to pay $16M to defend against it (a normal scenario in today's legal system), you wouldn't be happy with suddenly being paid $20M.

Game & Set. Care for a match?

Google of [CEO Lawsuit] "about 48M results"
Why are you throwing a random lawsuit into my example? You're missing the point.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The point being what? That you wouldn't worry so much if you weren't at risk of a lawsuit?

Mmm. I'm sure there are a lot of CEOs who would agree with you, but the risk remains even if you neglect it. That's the point of reality.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
The point being what? That you wouldn't worry so much if you weren't at risk of a lawsuit?

Mmm. I'm sure there are a lot of CEOs who would agree with you, but the risk remains even if you neglect it. That's the point of reality.
No. All I was saying is that if you went from being a 100 million millionaire to a 20 million millionaire you're still rich.

That's all.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Neither would I. However, neither of us has the right to force other people to do the same. That's stealing, plain and simple. Just because you don't keep the money you stole doesn't make it a lesser sin.

Upvote 0