Homosexuality Cure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTLauder

Aug 26, 2006
✟16,505.00
Faith
Protestant
The scientific explanation to homosexuality is that it is an inherent characteristic you are born with in your DNA--that's why say it can't be changed. For something inherent in your DNA to be "cured", you would have to change the DNA. That is, mutating one's genes; aka Genetic Re-engineering (not to mention another Conservative Christian hot-topic).

Science can only prove that a typical homosexual's brain scans are indeed different from a typical heterosexual. But what they can't prove or determin is if those differences are indeed inborn, or if the differences manifest themselves AFTER an extended period of homosexual behaviour. (It's the chicken-egg debate.)

So let's go with the theory that it's a proven fact that homosexuality is indeed written in one's genes from birth. Does that really make a difference, or be used as an excuse?

Of course not. Take violent behavior for example. It's also proven that a violent temperament is partly written in the genes. But most people agree that violent, especially criminal violence can not be tolerated. So even if a person has violent tendencies, anger management therapies do not go after "curing" the violence by getting rid of it, because it's in their nature and it's bound to happen. What they are taught is to how to handle those violent tendencies when they occur.

Same with homosexuality. We are all tempted to do all sorts of things, be they from inherent genetic leanings or exterior influences. We are not judged by what temptations come our way, but how we deal with them. Perhaps those with genes that would have a much harder time fighting those temptations, but that's the challenge.

Whether homosexuality is biological or not is not the issue. It can't be used as an excuse as if to say that the person may not have strong control over it, so why force them to control such urges. But those making that arguement would be hypocrites if they don't apply that same philosophy to excuse child molestors, who also claim that it's in their nature. No one seems to have a problem wanting to stop them, even if that is in their nature too. Why is that?

Upvote 0

ArcticFox

To glorify God, and enjoy him forever.
Sep 27, 2006
Japan
Visit site
✟17,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Just a quick comment that even if a genetic influence were to be discovered, it would not be a justification for the behavior.

We know that some people may be genetically influenced to be quick to anger. This could easily be used for God's glory, as being angry at injustice is a good thing. However, in man's fallen state, it usually manifest itself in ugly, selfish ways.

In a similar manner, a genetic predisposition to homosexual desires does not condone the behavior.

Now, with that said, I do not believe the science is concrete yet, and in fact I believe it is greatly motivated by ideologies and political pressure.

Upvote 0

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
To say that a person is "born" gay is to make the same acclaim as a person says when he is "born" deaf. The person who is born deaf, is deaf from a birth defect or abnormality in the formation of the fetus. Homosexuality is not a scientific problem but a spiritual problem than can be cured.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So... science says once you're a homosexual, you can't be cured. Lots of Christian sites say otherwise.

Who's right?

Science once said the world was flat.
But the Bible never changes.

If you want to know truth, God will not leave you in limbo. Just ask Him.

James 1:5-8
5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

At the end of the day, it's you and Him. No scientists, no Bible scholars, just you and the Father...

Reactions: lilymarie
Upvote 0

Dondi

Veteran
Sep 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
✟17,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We all have tendancies to commit certain 'pet' sins. They say that one can be born an alcoholic, just as one can be born gay. Fact is that we are all born sinners. Now there may be genetic defects (a result of the Fall) that may influence our tendancies, but any sinful behavior is learned. You don't become an alcoholic unless you start drinking. You don't become a homosexual unless you start engaging in the practice.

Upvote 0

KJVisTruth

HisInstructionsAreOurs,Ou rObstructionsAreHis
Sep 26, 2006
NE PA
✟17,057.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Science is done by hypothesis and the scientific method.

Science is not always wrong, but it only inquires to find the truth about nature.
I said "always".... given some time to any statements they make, they always change them or take them back. =) Science is not infallible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KJVisTruth

HisInstructionsAreOurs,Ou rObstructionsAreHis
Sep 26, 2006
NE PA
✟17,057.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
We all have tendancies to commit certain 'pet' sins. They say that one can be born an alcoholic, just as one can be born gay. Fact is that we are all born sinners. Now there may be genetic defects (a result of the Fall) that may influence our tendancies, but any sinful behavior is learned. You don't become an alcoholic unless you start drinking. You don't become a homosexual unless you start engaging in the practice.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
We all have tendancies to commit certain 'pet' sins.
And we do not get to choose what those are. Homosexuals are broken, just like me. I did not get to choose to have a weakness for pretty women and fast cars. Oops! that is two weaknesses and I have not even started listing mine.

Maybe I should shut up about other people's sins and worry about my own?

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
So... science says once you're a homosexual, you can't be cured. Lots of Christian sites say otherwise.

Who's right? Do varying denominations believe differently (excluding the ones who believe being homosexual is OK and ordain them as clergy :p).

God's Peace,
Justin

Some conflicting thoughts...

1. I'm VERY heterosexual :) ;) There's NOTHING I could possibly do to change that.

2. When I was about 13 or so, among my several surfing buddies was a guy who suddenly announced (with odd and considerable fanfare) that he was "gay." As if ANYONE cared. He seemed to make quite a point of it for the next year or so - kinda bothersome, IMHO, since no one cared at all. A couple of years ago, I saw him hand-in-hand with this girl at the mall. Some weeks later I was talking to a mutual friend and mentioned that, and he said that our friend seem to have forgotten that he was "gay" and now was as straight as an arrow. It's not the only "case" of this known to me. Now, did he "change" or did he just "miss diagnose" himself or was he just sexually "confused?" I don't know. Frankly I don't care. But it happens.

3. Whether someone can change their "orientation" or not seems moot - we CAN change our behavior. I'm very heterosexual. I'm in a very strong, committed relationship with THE most beautiful girl on the planet (that's not opinion, that's fact) and have been for two years. I'm a virgin. If heterosexuals can refrain from sexual acts, so can homosexuals. The "but I can't help myself - God made me this way" montra is silly and I don't buy it.

Sorry.

- Josiah

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Who's right? Do varying denominations believe differently (excluding the ones who believe being homosexual is OK and ordain them as clergy :p).

God's Peace,
Justin

God is right. He's against it, but the blood of Jesus Christ can cure ANYTHING. THe bible says that what's impossible with men is possible with God. ;) :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paleoconservatarian

God's grandson
Jan 4, 2005
✟18,897.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I said "always".... given some time to any statements they make, they always change them or take them back. =) Science is not infallible.
That's because science is an empirical and therefore tentative discipline. It's supposed to be practical and to deal with what we experience. It does not uncover absolute truth (although the hardcore True Believers in science might say otherwise). As great a blessing as it is, science is not the be-all and end-all of truth.

At any rate, there is a cure for homosexuality, and it's called the Gospel.

Reactions: lilymarie
Upvote 0

DevotiontoBible

Aug 31, 2005
✟6,660.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

God's Peace,
Justin
Actually science fiction says that not science.

Upvote 0

AureateDawn

Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Well, the Gospel/God sure isn't helping me, and hasn't the past 2 and a half years... So I was just wondering.

EDIT: I agree saying "I couldn't help it" for sodomy is an excuse. I should have been more clear, but I am meaning being homosexual and in a relationship of abstinence.

God's Peace,
Justin

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Let me explain how science works. Science does not claim infallibility. Consider the advantages of the scientific method and how we've managed to learn quite a bit about the universe. Do we scientists know everything? Of course not. At best, we might be able to become experts in two fields within a particular discipline. There's just simply too much out there beyond the basics to master it all.

So let's say I wanted to know something. I'd make an educated guess (hypothesis) based on what I know already and what I expect to happen. The experiment is set up to measure appropriate parameters in order to test the hypothesis. Of course, you want to keep statistics in mind too. Running an experiment in triplicate is the minimum, but I prefer to go with quadruplicate or more depending on the study.

Does the hypothesis hold up after repeated experimentation or not? If it doesn't hold, make a new hypothesis. More testing may be required before you go straight to theory. Keep in mind that the common definition for theory is not the same definition used in science. We form theories based on experimental evidence. Even gravitation is theory.

That said, so what if homosexuality is inborn? A person's sexual orientation may be changed by the grace of God, but I do think God trusts us enough to carry a cross. For homosexuals, this is no different.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.