What does the ELCA church do and what do they believe?

Nmeckert

Mar 5, 2024
Tamaqua
✟13,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
So I have a few serious questions about the ELCA churches and what they do and what they believe. By posting this, I do not mean to offend anyone, who may be an ELCA pastor, server of some sort, or anyone who is in an ELCA congregation, I love you like I love everyone else. Not too long ago, I heard rumors that all ELCA churches not only teach contrary to what the bible says, but they also marry homosexuals and allow people, who are actively living in sin, such as homosexuality, adultery, fornication, and transgenderism serve in the church or lead or teach in the church. I also heard that they pay for mothers to have abortions. I hope it's not true and I can't imagine any Christian church allowing sinful things to happen or encouraging sin, especially if they know what the bible says. I understand we need to love everyone, including the LGBTQ and the people, who get abortions, but wouldn't we want to help people turn away from their sins rather than encouraging them to stay in their sins? Wouldn't correcting our brothers and sisters be the way to show them love rather than enabling their sinful behaviors? This has me concerned because I have a friend, who I guess is Lutheran and used to go to St. John's in Jim Thorpe, PA, which I found out is an ELCA church. I remember him saying he didn't go there all the time, but I know now he can't go there or anywhere because he has stage 3 lung cancer and he can't be around anybody so he doesn't get exposed to anything else, he's doing kemo right now. This church he went to is the church that's using raffle tickets to pay for his treatment. Anyway, I'm worried that if these things I heard ar true, that he's getting the wrong message about what God says and what he wants and what he doesn't want and I'm worried if he goes back there (if it's true), he'll keep hearing the wrong messages and will never truely know the Lord. I know he is not gay, however I worry that he'll think there's nothing wrong with that or with abortions. I also worry for the ELCA churches themselves and hope they know the Lord and if the rumors are true, I hope they would repent, change their ways, and teach God's word the right way, not allow sin, and help people out of their sins in a loving way, but if they're not true, then that's good. I also worry for the congregations of those churches that they, too, are getting the wrong messages, if it is true. I guess what I want to know is are these things I heard true? If they are, how do I convince my friend to not go back there and find a bible-based church, unless or until they turn from their evil ways and repent? Also, I would like to either do a basket for the raffle tickets or give money to that church for his treatment, but if the rumors are true, I really wouldn't want to go near that church, so would do you think I should do in that situation? And if they're not true, what is the truth and what do ELCA churches really believe, stand for, and do? I did invite my friend to listen to the sermons from my church on facebook, since he can't go anywhere now and he didn't say anything back, but I also don't know, if I should wait to address this with him till after he heals or talk to him about this now while he has cancer, that's if what I heard is true.