Governor Kasich Legalizes Campus Carry. What Do You Think?

footballfanatic

Only John Waye Left
Dec 4, 2002
✟18,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
On Monday Ohio Governor John Kasich (R) signed Senate Bill 199, thereby legalizing concealed carry on college and university campuses where school trustees vote to allow it. Source

What do you think about this? If you have a son or daughter who is a college student, would you feel safer if they were concealed carrying a handgun on campus? Will this lead to fewer people being injured/killed if there are attacks? Less likely muggings or rapes? I think it could if the gun owners are responsible.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If the trustees allow it...I expect the result will be more guns on campus (the guns that would already have been there + the ones brought because they are now permitted) and the same number of people exploding with frustration and rage...so I expect the result over time will be an increase in the number of horrible shooting deaths.

I just don't see the "good guy with a gun" scenario playing out like some people think it will.

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If the trustees allow it...I expect the result will be more guns on campus (the guns that would already have been there + the ones brought because they are now permitted) and the same number of people exploding with frustration and rage...so I expect the result over time will be an increase in the number of horrible shooting deaths.

I just don't see the "good guy with a gun" scenario playing out like some people think it will.
Well, it has played out well in other places.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sure, but I kind of assume this will at least somewhat increase the number.
Maybe maybe not. Keep in mind that the people that have guns now do not care, but the people who may get a gun AFTER this will. Also, most states require people to be at least 21 to have a handgun. This would mean that student-wise most would not have them unless they were upperclassmen or non-traditional ( usually meaning those who have reached their 24th or 25th birthday.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
As a professor it's comforting to know that when an upset student comes to argue with me about how it's not possible that they failed the exam, and if I don't give them a C, I ruin their life and their job prospects, that they might now be carrying a gun.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As a professor it's comforting to know that when an upset student comes to argue with me about how it's not possible that they failed the exam, and if I don't give them a C, I ruin their life and their job prospects, that they might now be carrying a gun.
Well, as was pointed out I can about promise that if it is a large enough school people have firearms or at the very least easy access to them. The people who do not care about the rules do not care if they can lawfully carry or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
On Monday Ohio Governor John Kasich (R) signed Senate Bill 199, thereby legalizing concealed carry on college and university campuses where school trustees vote to allow it. Source

What do you think about this? If you have a son or daughter who is a college student, would you feel safer if they were concealed carrying a handgun on campus? Will this lead to fewer people being injured/killed if there are attacks? Less likely muggings or rapes? I think it could if the gun owners are responsible.

And the occasional toddler shooting another toddler and the occasional nutjob shooting are things that will never increase even as guns increase, because all the dangerous nut jobs and dangerous toddlers already have their guns . . . right?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And the occasional toddler shooting another toddler and the occasional nutjob shooting are things that will never increase even as guns increase, because all the dangerous nut jobs and dangerous toddlers already have their guns . . . right?
Toddlers come down to adults/older children being responsabile.

• Agree
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

They might have been armed before this change happened.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Paul of Eugene OR said:
As it happens, more toddlers die every year from ingesting household cleaning chemicals every year from firearms in total.

Therefore, why isn't the left more interested in controlling household cleaning chemicals in private hands?

Gun control in any form is not intended to curb crime; it's to make the common citizen a serf. Anti-gun is pro-criminal.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Mountain_Girl406 said:
How do you know now? You obviously have the silly idea a student who is crazy enough to harm you if they don't study and you don't lie for them is sane enough to follow all the laws and rules. The 'goofies' are already 'goofy', professor.

Unless you publicly announce you are unarmed, how does the hypothetical student know YOU are unarmed? As far as the student is concerned, YOU have the same rights to carry.

And you might get rid of that "I'm a professor and you're dirt under my feet" attitude. Courtesy and tact go a long way toward disagreeing without being disagreeable.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
hengesthorsa said:
...I expect the result will be more guns on campus...
Correct. But the increase in firearms will be under the control of those already vetted by the state to be suitably sane and capable of carrying a firearm.
hengesthorsa said:
...and the same number of people exploding with frustration and rage...
Also correct. The same number of 'goofies' will be there, possibly illegally armed JUST LIKE BEFORE. However, there would then be a number of responsible persons armed to counterbalance that already existing threat.
hengesthorsa said:
...so I expect the result over time will be an increase in the number of horrible shooting deaths.
Based on what? Leftist doctrine?

That very same prediction has been made everywhere concealed carry legislation has been enacted. There are now over thirty states allowing concealed carry, five without any restrictions at all. The anti-gun crowd is heart-broken over all the shootings that haven't happened.

What has happened is the number of people bent on felonious mischief have been shot and sometimes killed, instead of victims. Does this disturb you, that the criminals rather than the decent folk get shot?

hengesthorsa said:
If you think that, you ignore the reality.

The places with the highest murder rates are those locations with the strictest gun control.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you have many mentally unstable students in your classes?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you have many mentally unstable students in your classes?
I'm an engineer and mathematician, and thus not qualified to diagnose those sorts of mental health issues in my students. I have had, however, difficult encounters with disgruntled students.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
How do you know now? You obviously have the silly idea a student who is crazy enough to harm you if they don't study and you don't lie for them is sane enough to follow all the laws and rules. The 'goofies' are already 'goofy', professor.

Unless you publicly announce you are unarmed, how does the hypothetical student know YOU are unarmed? As far as the student is concerned, YOU have the same rights to carry.

And you might get rid of that "I'm a professor and you're dirt under my feet" attitude. Courtesy and tact go a long way toward disagreeing without being disagreeable.
And why do you assume I have that attitude or am not courteous?to my students? I would say my reputation is in fact the opposite, if you care to know.

Upvote 0